• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I solved the ducking problem. It was due to the analog input to the keyframe. So I connected the L/R signals through signal manipulators, and then used the ducking keyframe to turn those off. Then I added a manipulator to the D signal so that it goes to 100% after a low threshold. The keyframe now entirely cuts out the L/R signals. Success!

It will be a little trickier to have a "IsDucking" state to read to decide whether to do a normal or a low attack, but I guess I'll have to figure that out too. I guess I can put a further manipulator and turn every input over 1% to 100%, and read that signal in conjunction with a button press?

Man, Dreams is so much fun!

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
MMDreamQueen has about 230.000 followers. And normally everyone who owns the game will automatically follow her. Knowing that about 50.000 to 75.000 of those sales already were in early acces. So Dreams did not have sold 200K in it's first week. That's not great actually ...

I pre-ordered the game and I don't follow her. I find your 'normally everyone who owns the game will automatically follow her' claim to be unconvincing. Don't get me wrong: Dreams did not sell brilliantly out of the gate. But that Metascore, together with endless great Dreams to come, should ensure a nice long tail (with a VR bump).

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Amongst all the absolutely incredible technical aspects to this game, I think the load times are almost the most impressive. They almost don't exist. I don't understand how it's been accomplished, it's like PS5.

The super short load times and that you need to download nothing to play a game is black magic. O: Also the fact that there are no visible polygons on characters or environments. Even the technically most impressive AAA games showcase polygon edges, and here are none. A column is a column and an arc and arc, perfectly rounded. How do they do it and why doesn't any other developer make use of that?

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Is that true? Do you automatically follow MMDreamQueen, or do you have to go through some of the Dreamshaping tutorials first?
I have never even booted up the tutorials and I follow her.
------
The Sci-Fi genre is really popular in Dreams and these 3 great creations in the video are amazing and look especially graphically really great.

It's just a pity that it all are some sort of demo's that take you 10 minutes max. I hope they all make it real games eventually with at least one hour or multiple hours of gameplay. However, if they want to keep this quality it will take them probably months to create something that big and I am afraid most gamers don't have the discipline to do that.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I do wish working with the cameras was a bit more streamlined. It feels quite clunky using key frames on a timeline while also trying to pose the camera where you want. I'm sure there must be a way of doing it like pinning the timeline to the screen but it's not helped when if you zoom in all the UI is zoomed in too so it gets cropped off the screen. I just want to set up some basic camera moves and it feels overly fiddly for a basic task.

Dec 12, 2019
Wooooow, awesome. And very nice trailer. :)

Addtional info from creator:

From the creator of Ball World Adventures! - my new project SPHERICAL.

Expect 15+ worlds in the full version with a huge variety of mechanics and obstacles. Go underwater, through ice, defy gravity in space and much more!

Will be releasing the demo with the first four worlds this week.

Please support future games below:

www.paypal.me/xxrazorfistxx

www.patreon.com/xxrazorfistxx

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I wasn't the only one disappointed about that. I remember Gerstmann was kinda into, so was surprised by that. At least they talked about it for a while on the Giant Beastcast.
Gerstmann was loving all the wacky weird stuff to see in the video they did during Early Access, and Vinny seems to be getting in to the creation side. They also discussed how they would cover it in a video on the Beastcast. I imagine there will be more to come from these guys on the Dreams front.

Nice, Ball World Adventures is already really good imo.
Ball World Adventures 2 is the Dark Souls of ball-rolling games though. I could not get past the first obstacle in level 1, it's absolutely brutal.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
MMDreamQueen has about 230.000 followers. And normally everyone who owns the game will automatically follow her. Knowing that about 50.000 to 75.000 of those sales already were in early acces. So Dreams did not have sold 200K in it's first week. That's not great actually ...
Do you know the exact number of MMDreamQueen's followers when Dreams launched ?

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, I wasn't the only one disappointed about that. I remember Gerstmann was kinda into, so was surprised by that. At least they talked about it for a while on the Giant Beastcast.

It just seems really weird to ignore a huge, interesting game like this. It's incredibly unique. And yet Call of Duty gets talked about for 20+ minutes. Hopefully some more people play it and talk about it next week.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are move controllers pretty much a must for sculpting? Do they bring major advantages? Anyone try both?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing some simple fighting/punching dreams the other night, but didn't check for actual boxing games. Something like this is what I saw:

As for Skate, I've seen this prototype on twitter:

Whoa, Boxing Ballet looks gorgeous! (Just needs character models :P)

indreams.me

Boxing Ballet

Physics based 2Player fighting game. Play against your friend locally.<br><br>Boxing Ballet combines dancing and fighting in weirdly relaxing manner.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whoa, Boxing Ballet looks gorgeous! (Just needs character models :P)

indreams.me

Boxing Ballet

Physics based 2Player fighting game. Play against your friend locally.<br><br>Boxing Ballet combines dancing and fighting in weirdly relaxing manner.
I played that the other night and I think minimalism works best. Especially since most of the "gimmick" of ballet is because of the base puppet figures physics, I think with in-depth character models it would lose that strength/take attention away. And without that it's not that interesting since the actual fighting is pretty basic from both a real world/sim or more arcade model boxing game.

Just my opinion obviously, now off to logic tutorials..😀

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
There are so many counterexamples though. Look at the mod scene or the flash game scene.

The two most popular games on Steam currently are CounterStrike and Dota, which were both initially mods made by fans and released for free.

You also have enormously popular genres like Autochess, Dayz-style games, the Battle Royale genre, Tower Defense games Etc etc. which were all spawned by creators who "didn't have a proper pay model" to incentivise them to make fullly-polished products.
Very true, but I think in those cases they used a main game as a base, where as Dreams doesn't really have one solid game mechanic as its base, the story that Media Molecule crafted is exceptional, but not necessarily open to interesting derivation within its mechanic parameters. Again, hopefully I'm wrong...

Just not sure if we'd ever get to a point where you'll be telling your buddies to load up Dreams so we can do a round or two of _______. What it might do is work as a prototype concept and then push towards a full game production based on that concept.

And don't read this as me saying, "Its been a week where are the master-pieces!" I definitely think they will come and be pretty close to a working thing, but I'm not sure if the audience will be there in 1-2 years when it finally happens...

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Put about 5 hours into playing Tiny Pier so far. It's so addicting. My loan is paid off and I've got the full sized pier with a coaster and other rides. So proud that my tiny little park is doing so well. *tear*

Woow, this is crazy! Looks really fun. Release not until april apparently.
Seriously cannot wait for this. Looks miles above the snowboarding games that are on Dreams right now.

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
You could create another keyframe that sets the playback speed of the timeline to zero.

Then you'd just have to have a way to toggle this new 'pause'-keyframe on, one way could be to do this with a counter gadget.
Thank you for this. It helped.

I'm having trouble releasing creations when they have Media Molecule creations in them. Even if I delete the element from the scene it still won't let me upload. Even elements that are taken from a scene which once contained a "private creation" won't upload. I must be missing something.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered the game and I don't follow her. I find your 'normally everyone who owns the game will automatically follow her' claim to be unconvincing. Don't get me wrong: Dreams did not sell brilliantly out of the gate. But that Metascore, together with endless great Dreams to come, should ensure a nice long tail (with a VR bump).
I'm following MMDreamQueen and I have no idea who she is or what games she has created.

It's almost certainly a forced auto-follow, since no other creator or creation has those kinds of numbers. I'm surprised that there are even 200K users that have been accounted for, given that Art's Dream is only around 28K likes.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm following MMDreamQueen and I have no idea who she is or what games she has created.

It's almost certainly a forced auto-follow, since no other creator or creation has those kinds of numbers. I'm surprised that there are even 200K users that have been accounted for, given that Art's Dream is only around 28K likes.

Mmdreamqueen is the account Mm use when they stream, it has all the weekly collections.

Following them was an initial task in the setup during early access, but I don't think it is in the full release? There's a trophy for following a creator that could give an idea if it still is or not.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I was browsing earlier today and I think the biggest problem with the dreams available, even those that are more polished, is that the creators seem very concerned about the games aesthetics but not that much on the actual mechanics. I think it makes sense, as creating visuals is far more stimulating, but it makes the game really impressive to try but hard for players to stay.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Are move controllers pretty much a must for sculpting? Do they bring major advantages? Anyone try both?
Moves are a dramatically more productive way to sculpt and just in general manipulate objects around a scene, but you can get by using the Dualshock 4, it'll just be much slower and clunkier

I published the Detailed Vehicles collection, by the way:

indreams.me

Detailed Vehicles

Detailed Vehicles is a collection made in Dreams.
Wow very nice!

Last edited:

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Mmdreamqueen is the account Mm use when they stream, it has all the weekly collections.

Following them was an initial task in the setup during early access, but I don't think it is in the full release? There's a trophy for following a creator that could give an idea if it still is or not.
Everyone who has played the game (during early access and beyond) follows mmdreamqueen by default, including people who bought the game after release.
It was at 129k at the end of early access, was released on the 14th, got to 200k on the 17th, and it is now at 230k. It has grown at a steady rate of about 10k per day for the last several days.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've discovered two importants things tonight, one good and one bad.

Good one: I can sculpt! yay!

Bad one: Tried to make my own puppet and it was miserable lol had to put muy sculpture down.

Lesson learned: I'll sculpt over the default puppet from now on, shouldn't be a problem since I tweaked it and behaves almost exactly as I want it to.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
I'm so interested in buying this, I have two game concepts I want to try out so badly!
But I suck at strategy games on consoles and I find controller based cursors on screen really clunky to work with.
How is the accessability in this game? I mean, is it basically drag and drop or is it like strategy games where you have to move a mouse around to create stuff?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm so interested in buying this, I have two game concepts I want to try out so badly!
But I suck at strategy games on consoles and I find controller based cursors on screen really clunky to work with.
How is the accessability in this game? I mean, is it basically drag and drop or is it like strategy games where you have to move a mouse around to create stuff?
you use motion control to move your cursor around. in term of navigating the UI, it feel really good compared to moving cursor with analog stick, the drawback is from outdated motion control tech so you'll probably end up recallibrating your cursor pretty often now and then, although they make sure it's easy to do by just holding the option button for a few seconds.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I solved the ducking problem. It was due to the analog input to the keyframe. So I connected the L/R signals through signal manipulators, and then used the ducking keyframe to turn those off. Then I added a manipulator to the D signal so that it goes to 100% after a low threshold. The keyframe now entirely cuts out the L/R signals. Success!

It will be a little trickier to have a "IsDucking" state to read to decide whether to do a normal or a low attack, but I guess I'll have to figure that out too. I guess I can put a further manipulator and turn every input over 1% to 100%, and read that signal in conjunction with a button press?

Man, Dreams is so much fun!

Whatever wire you have hitting the 'duck' command, split it off to a wireless transmitter with name 'is ducking' - then you can use a receiver to do stuff based on whether that is on or off