• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Really struggled yesterday, but after sleeping the camera movement is much easier today. Still wonky, but not impossible. Memory formation is an interesting thing.

I really like the cloning tools, they are intuitive and great time savers. The only issue I have is that I'm not used to rotating while doing other manipulations and my arm ends up at this insane angle from time to time XD

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Literally sitting in my sofa pressing x to trigger the stupid sound imo que
I've said it before, but I really hope someone makes an R-Type game, and make it look a lot better than R-Type Dimensions' 3D hd graphics, originally made on Xbox 360.

my personal picks for old stuff I'd like to have a crack at
- geoff crammond's stunt car racer
-the sentinel
- skidmarks/super sprint racing game
- Mille migle isomeric racing game
- mashed/micro machines racing game with multiplayer

for a shoot em up, what was that isometic one with prerendered/flat poly style ships? That could work well. I think it came out on neo geo

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Literally sitting in my sofa pressing x to trigger the stupid sound imo que

my personal picks for old stuff I'd like to have a crack at
- geoff crammond's stunt car racer
-the sentinel
- skidmarks/super sprint racing game
- Mille migle isomeric racing game
- mashed/micro machines racing game with multiplayer

for a shoot em up, what was that isometic one with prerendered/flat poly style ships? That could work well. I think it came out on neo geo

Zaxxon? You probably mean Viewpoint though?

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
The thing I don't get about Dreams is that if you are going to go to all the trouble and time to make something crazy intricate like on the level of Fallout 4 or something, why wouldn't you just pour all that energy into making your own game and sell it? Are the development tools just that streamlined or something? I guess what I'm asking is at what point does Dreams go from a cool artistic/creative outlet for amateur budding game devs or hobbyists to exploiting users for their free labor to sell your product? I feel like there should be some sort of monetary compensation for some of these people. Maybe like hold contests and award like a publishing deal or something? What's the difference between this and, say, the controversy behind crowdsourcing art and music for Beyond Good and Evil 2?
You can say this about any fan drawing or animation. Why not just create your own characters

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How good is this for someone who just wants to randomly explore with his GF watching and try out anything that looks neat?
Is there a lot to look at? worth a couple hours? is it actually FUN?

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So yeah i see this is the big opening party and many awesome creations are visited a ton, but not mine unfortunately :p

Just wanted to say, this is not super classy from MM to use some creations in their promotion but not name them or give them any rub. It's like "it's good enough to represent the game but no need to tell people what it is"

Not super classy.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
So after now completing all of the logic tutorials...I don't have a damn clue what I'm doing with logic. Heh. I mean, they try. They do. They take it nice and slow. I just see all of the wires and exclusive gates and NO gates and outputs and inputs and hear the explanations and it's just...huh? Sigh. I guess I'll just stick to enjoying sculpting and animating for now and maybe check in on YouTube tutorials for specific logic help.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you can collaborate
Yep. You can collaborate in exactly the way you described. The only thing that isn't available right now in terms of collaboration is working together in real time on the same Dream. But sharing assets with each other in private is very doable.
yes, you can invite others to collaborate :)

Here's how to do it:

Just seeing these now. Thank you for the prompt replies. Literally about to purchase it after this. Thank you!!

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I guess it's probably to be expected, but it's a little disappointing you can't just sort by new and have fun playing random stuff like LBP or Mario Maker. Its way too easy to upload a boring tech demo and way too hard to upload an actual game. I'm surprised there aren't more templates so creators can more easily upload something actually fun.

But on the flip side, the cream of the crop stands out way more than any individual Mario Maker level would, so that's the give and take I guess.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite user made games from Early Access is Marbelous. Great platformer with a Sonic aesthetic. However, I just looked at the creator's profile, and it looks like they haven't done anything since Feb. 2019. That's too bad, because they showed tons of potential.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
How good is this for someone who just wants to randomly explore with his GF watching and try out anything that looks neat?

That depends entirely on how much you value craziness and unbridled originality (because you will get metric tons of that) and how much you can tolerate jank (because that is unavoidable unless you only concentrate on the few dozen highly polished creations that are out there right now). For me, it's absolutely worth it so far even if I weren't into creating. In fact, I spend way too much time in play, so my creation suffers a bit.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Art Therapy is so polished, holy moley.
Thanks! It was originally made in 2 weeks for the 'Museum' Jam. The update we added this week probably helped quite a bit for the polish, with a much improved score screen. I worked mainly on the score system, Disturbance meter and guard AI. The AI is probably too simple really, but the purpose of the guards is mainly to keep the player moving around the museum, rather than being a real challenge.
I guess it's probably to be expected, but it's a little disappointing you can't just sort by new and have fun playing random stuff like LBP or Mario Maker. Its way too easy to upload a boring tech demo and way too hard to upload an actual game. I'm surprised there aren't more templates so creators can more easily upload something actually fun.

But on the flip side, the cream of the crop stands out way more than any individual Mario Maker level would, so that's the give and take I guess.
Sorting by Trending is generally the best way to find decent new creations.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I think most people will get more than a few hours out of just playing stuff.

Art's Dream is 2+ hours long - that's MediaMolecule's first major Dream - and beyond that there is tons of good user created stuff out there now. Between MM Picks, the Community Creations sets and Forever Popular it's pretty easy to find the good stuff. The most frustrating issue generally right now is filtering out the early stage work in progress from the completed articles, and equally that it's hard to know on the face of it whether you're looking at a five minute experience or an hour long one.

Last edited:

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite user made games from Early Access is Marbelous. Great platformer with a Sonic aesthetic. However, I just looked at the creator's profile, and it looks like they haven't done anything since Feb. 2019. That's too bad, because they showed tons of potential.

There are some people like that, and I'd like to imagine they're whittling away at their magnum opus that will come out after a year and blow everyone away.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
So after now completing all of the logic tutorials...I don't have a damn clue what I'm doing with logic. Heh. I mean, they try. They do. They take it nice and slow. I just see all of the wires and exclusive gates and NO gates and outputs and inputs and hear the explanations and it's just...huh? Sigh. I guess I'll just stick to enjoying sculpting and animating for now and maybe check in on YouTube tutorials for specific logic help.
I believe in you!

IMO the best way to learn is to start with trying to do a small project. You'll hit roadblocks but you will learn so much, and if it gets too tough just give us a shout in this thread.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Anyone already saw this? A giant virtual tour through Hogwarts. As a Harry Potter fan I really thought it's amazing. It still is in production and he still can improve on so many aspects. So I am curious for the end result. However, if you are a Potter fan absolutely something to check out.

Also love that you can change the weather and cover Hogwarts in snow

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Unsure if posted already but wow. This is stunning. Only played for 5 minutes but wow. Dreams man. Dreams.....

Edit wrong link for some reason.. trying to fix... fixed now I think.

indreams.me

The Missing Constellation

Explore poetic and uninhabited landscapes and restore the energy of mysterious constellations in this game based on the universe and alter-ego of musician Piano Novel. Search for Piano Novel's music on all streaming platforms. #ExpoDreams

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Dog's Run is a very basic collectathon platformer, but it's chill as hell and showcases the potential scale of Dreams well, with multiple huge levels connected with a hub world and a decent upgrade system.

indreams.me

Dog's Run

Play as my dog Binkie and explore his favourite spots while looking for his sweet, sweet bone. Collect all the coins and buy upgrades across 5 levels of old fashioned 3D collectathon platforming. Over 1 hour of fun!

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Dog's Run is a very basic collectathon platformer, but it's chill as hell and showcases the potential scale of Dreams well, with multiple huge levels connected with a hub world and a decent upgrade system.

indreams.me

Dog's Run

Play as my dog Binkie and explore his favourite spots while looking for his sweet, sweet bone. Collect all the coins and buy upgrades across 5 levels of old fashioned 3D collectathon platforming. Over 1 hour of fun!

This is the Dream my kids have latched onto. You're right - it's supremely chill.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'm surprised by is the amount of levels that are being created entirely from remix-able assets. It's a lot easier to get something up and running than in LBP.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Any way to replace Connie in the home space? I add different characters, but the cone still follows me around. And charming as I find this game, I really dislike the cone character.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's neat, and often fascinating to go from experiencing the opening of a New Hope to various recreations of other games as well as like 1 or 2 dreams that are fun and knowing that they were all made by average Joes using the creation tools provided in this game. But ultimately they're not fun, or long.

I would say if you mostly looked at Mario/Sonic clones and some recreations of movie title treatments then you didn't get a very good look at what Dreams can do as a creative platform. I think you're being pretty harsh and overly pessimistic about a game that until a couple days ago only had around 100k players at most, of which probably only 5% of those created anything. We haven't even started to see the wild stuff that will be created.

As an aside, this is why I've always felt Mm should actively remove and dissuade any creations using outside IPs -- it gives a bad impression of what the game is, like a bargain bin for knockoff games instead of a shareware/indie treasure trove.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone already saw this? A giant virtual tour through Hogwarts. As a Harry Potter fan I really thought it's amazing. It still is in production and he still can improve on so many aspects. So I am curious for the end result. However, if you are a Potter fan absolutely something to check out.

Also love that you can change the weather and cover Hogwarts in snow

Pretty cool! Looking forward to seeing it down the line. The lighting at night hides much of the early-look and so is just the much more appealing mode to me!

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Not in front of my PS4, but on the indreams website right now.
I have basically chose Play Later for everything recommended on at least the past 2 pages of this thread. Plus about 10 levels I discovered on my own.
Just a simple question since I cannot get in front of my PS4 until later tonight...
Should I self-limit the amount of levels I choose to Play Later or do they do a good job of showing a whole bunch of them once I boot the game up again?
Just want to know if I should just keep adding whatever looks good while I am on my laptop here or if I should take it easy and first check out the 20 or so I just chose?
FTR, I know I can and eventually will figure this out once I play the game again, but I may not get to check it out again tonight. All depends when my wife falls asleep.
TIA to anyone who can answer. Appreciate it.