• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
It's suffered the same fate as Mario Maker 2, albeit even more so. Community creation games need a steady flow of fresh players, new tools, or marketed content. Any game without at least one of those things will start to fall to the wayside sooner rather than later.
Mario Maker 2 is still selling very well (at full price) and there is a constant flow of new content and new players.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Making meh versions of good games is always one of my main issues with this style game. I love the creativity etc, but between that and curation there's just 0 way to keep it compelling.

I have to say though, it BLOWS my mind that with roblox being so gigantic that this didnt make more of a splash - but maybe no monetization or difficulty with tools has more to do with it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I do find it strange that MM didn't create a "mascot" or theme around. This helped tons with LBP. I know they wanted to do something different, but I can't really tell the difference between Dreams content and anything else. Its visual identity is lacking.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Pre installing wouldn't have made that big of a dent. Probably would've been a big negative considering the size of the ssd.

It's just difficult to get folks to learn something this demanding when they know the outcome will still be worse off than most other games they play.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
should be free to play with the Media Molecule stuff sold separately and creators being able to sell their games too if they choose to. ps5 and pc versions would help, too + regular content updates.
i'm guessing they'll abandon it and Sony makes them create traditional single player games in the future.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think simply pre-installing the game on PS5s/giving it away with PS+ would help to an extent... but it'd also just raise the percentage of basic/made for trophy creations. Dreams is complex and requires a hell of a lot of hours spent in tutorials and learning the craft. Just widening the playerbase and trying to get anyone through the door isn't ever going to be a golden goose to improve the community creations.

You need to engage the right audience. Keep them playing it through regular events. Keep marketing the hell out of the most inspirational creations and keep running accessible masterclasses with concrete rewards for players who take the time to master the creation suite.

I love Dreams and it's 100% in the top half of my GOTY list. But I strongly disregard the idea of 'just give it free to everyone' being the shot in the arm that it needs. That just increases the amount of people giving likes to shitty 60 second long Green Hill Zone demos.

I think, mostly, I feel that (and I've been saying this since EA launched in 2019) Dreams isn't the 'YouTube for games' or 'game creation for everyone' that everyone wants it to be. It's a programming/modelling suite and it's going to appeal to a set crowd. It is absolutely not for everyone and that's ok. We aren't going to get the next God of War made in Dreams. We're more likely to continue to get mad, psychedelic art pieces that don't really have much worth to 90% of PlayStation players and that's a-ok with me. They're the best stuff.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not gonna lie, i got tired of playing it after a few months. i wish there was a better way to curate content, i found myself needing to google for games to search out more than i should've. granted this was on a base ps4 but the input lag on a lot of the games got me to quit playing
I agree with this. I played a LOT when I first bought it, but I seemed to run out of cool games to play (in Dreams) pretty quickly, only to realize it's the "browser" in the game that's to blame. I don't really want to be spending gaming time on a browser looking for new dreams to play though.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 plus being free on PS+ one month could hopefully give it a second wind as others have pointed out.

I've only played a little bit on PS4 but it's a cool thing. I have to wonder if the console audience is even interested in these creation engine games at large. Project Spark never got off the ground and Dreams isn't doing great.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Definitively adding my voice on "it should come to pc". Would probably explode. And maybe a little campaign/rerelease on PS5 to help revitalize. There's some AMAZING things done in Dreams. Having also maybe a small youtube series of creators to push on what's possible. I think for this kind of stuff, you need to encourage people's creativity more regularily. It's a really sweet tool from what I've seen

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If ever there was a game that would have benefited from a freemium business model, it's this one. Alternatively, they should have just made it a PS5 game and made it a free pack-in.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
also it being on ps5 means you'd have to get a psvr adapter if you want to use the move controller and that's just a hassle in itself.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Dreams biggest barrier is imo the motion control required when dualshock 4 and ps move tracking is super outdated. You have to do constant recentering your imp to do anything.

Dreams need to either have a much better motion tracking or come up with mouse and keyboard control scheme.

A pc version would also helped a lot if it can integrate with social media like twitter, make it so when you see a twitter post about dreams on pc, a single click will bring you right to that creation

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
this shouldnt be a full priced game IMO

if you arent interested in playing other games, or arent interested in making your own, half the games appeal is gone.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think the point remains at any price point above F2P. This isn't Mario Maker or Minecraft that's going to give you hours of "fun" content even if you suck as a creator.
It is though, there's plenty of fun content made already. The game has no monetization to be F2P as far s I'm aware and no way to really monetize it for that model, given the everything is player created , it'd not make any sense being F2P and probably just get shut down.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The game is just too complex of a creation toolkit for most players to take the time to learn in-depth. Giving it out for free on PS+ or preinstalled on PS5 would never get around that fact.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
These media molecule games always sound amazing in presentation but they suffer from the same thing every time I try them. A bunch of mini experiences that can't hold my attention. Which means it's not worth the price of admission. Now if it was free with Plus? I wouldn't feel the sting of buying it outright and won't feel as bad if I don't put more than 2-3 hours into it.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yea i think i mentioned this in a previous thread a while back, but i fail to see how dreams doesnt end up in the same boat as project spark. Im sure you can do more with Dreams than you ever could with Project Spark, but in my mind they seem like fundamentally the same concept.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I feel guilty about having neglected this game for the past few months, haven't created anything since the VR update first released :/

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker 2 is still selling very well and there is a constant flow of new content and new players.
Mario Maker 2 has done fine but not especially well, which isn't much better than how Dreams has done. Both have found themselves in the same vicious cycle where sparse new content, whether made or promoted by the devs, leads to less people opening the game which leads to less people making new content and so on. They both suffer from many of the same problems

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I bought in Day 1 of Early Access and after spending 2-3 hours with a fraction of the tutorial realized that creating wasn't compatible with my lifestyle or gaming habits. It's a brilliant achievement, though. Hopefully the inevitable PS+/Collection and PC releases will grow the community in a way that sticks.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that, as great of a job as Dreams does of being an end-to-end controller-friendly game development tool, it's still a massive ask when there's no avenue to sell your work. Without even having that, a lot of the people that would put time into game development would sooner opt to use more powerful and more universal tools on PC, even if Dreams is a great learning tool/stepping stone.

On the player's side of things, I know everyone has been saying it forever but it really should be included with the PS5. I'm also surprised at how many of my PS4-owning friends hadn't heard of the release at all.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Marketing this type of content as a game is overrated IMO. Creativity is hard. Most people will get bored soon because all they can create is very basic boring stuff even after spending lots of time.

Instead make it cross platform and sell it to indie game developers.

Another option that I think works for mass audiences is what Bethesda did with Fallout town builder. Create proper game using these tools and provide some incentive to create inside the game as part of gameplay.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
The only game that really needs a borader audience and could benefit from a PC realase, don't know why they haven't done it yet smh

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pulling this out my backside, but I'll venture to guess that like 99% of gamers would rather play a game than spend hours trying to create one.

The only game that really needs a borader audience and could benefit from a PC realase, don't know why they haven't done it yet smh
Yes you do. Lol

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It was too ambitious. More people would be on board with doing level editors than making something from scratch.

Bill

Oct 29, 2017
I was so hyped for Dreams up to release.
Unfortunately i just dont have enough free time to create the things i want to, and while spending hours upon hours sculpting is fun, its not the same kind of fun i get from playing other games. After a long day at work i will inevitably start up other games rather than dreams..to the point i havent played it since the month of release.

The lack of new curated content doesnt have me wanting to keep logging in the way the level packs for Little Big Planet did either. IF anything it seems they made it too powerful to be able to monetise effectively. It needs a creation pass type of thing with real developers getting involved to create interest but that flies in the face of what it is supposed to represent.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
it's a shame, but not terribly surprising. the amount of players that will have the skill, time, or even passion to put the tools to use in an interesting way is likely incredibly small. it's a remarkable achievement, but that doesn't change the fact that it speaks to an incredibly niche audience
The kind of players that have the skill, time and passion for dreams are probably studying to be game devs honestly.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it with the intention of creating "something", but I never finished the tutorial 🤷‍♂️. I do pop in the disc every now and then to see what's new. Still a shame though. I agree with the posts here. It should definitely become a PS Collection game. Forget making it free for one month. Or just make it F2P and slap some micro-transactions in there.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
It's too complicated. I got frustrated in the tutorial for creating character models. I was expecting something very simple the way they talked about it but nothing seemed to work the way I wanted.

Also most of the games I played in it were bad. I remember during the beta all these games looked so cool but there ended up being so few and mostly bad.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
This game feels like it was destined to fail without more substantial content updates from MM. The game releases with just one 3-hour experience, after that the community content is going to be the worst it ever is for a number of months. No additional MM creations, no marketing, no twitter/youtube presence. It's an interesting set of tools for the people that are into that sort of thing, but ultimately without an effective post-launch marketing campaign & support I don't think this game was going to really find a substantial audience.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Too many comments here about people wanting to play rather than create, when that isn't the audience issue the article is focused on. The article is predominately concerned with lack of engagement from people playing games and lack of engagement with quality creations (choosing instead to engage with the memes or things featuring familiar properties). With that issue in mind, it seems freemium would be the perfect fix to that solution. Maybe lock game publishing features or the creation tools behind a paywall so that you don't have an influx of bad creations in the market to go along with it. It seems like there are good creations there, it's just a matter of increasing the amount of players to engage with them.