• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Controller Preference

• Only used DS4

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Only used Move

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Used both, prefer DS4

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Used both, prefer Move

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Used both, like them equally

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Duplicating the same tile over and over, varying its position slightly and changing hue slightly as well, you got a believable roof with some variety in it. Plus if your tile is actually well carfted, it will hold the fleck downgrade pretty well

Yes i've noticed you can go pretty far as far as object detail indeed. Numbers of objects is a bigger problem. I use active clone but i've read that it's saving ressources AND that it's also more heavy so i'm not sure.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Methods i found to take less from graphic thermo:
- make your models with lower variety of primitives (2 or 3).
- make good positive sculpting so you don't need to negative scultp too much
- use as little shapes as possible and go with soft and hard blend rather than smearing.
- it's better to make a detailed sculpt than adding other sculpts on top of it and group them together.
- variety is more consuming than quantity

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of a learning curve to do everything with the sticks and motion control. Feels like I'm trying to tame a wild controller.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
can you give a direction to a force emitter gadget from a directional signal like a controller stick?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just started with the tutorial... I plan to make an "easy" concept game... a fusion of Gravity Rush and Rocket League. Were you change your gravity to hit the gravity zero ball and try to score.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the controller sticks, is there sensor that only detects a certain direction push rather than any direction? Trying to use a keyframe to do a Mario 64‐type body lean when running.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Any of this happened to you? Building full custom animation on a puppet it seems the sticks cannot serve as input but only velocity. Am I missing anything?

Oct 26, 2017
I got the jumping working, finally! Now for the next task: I want to set up a timer that basically counts down 1 health per second. I'm making a microchip with a timer and a health modifier but I can't really get it to work. It doesn't look like the timer outputs anything (the modifier doesn't light up) so I think I need to figure out how this thing actually connects.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Does anyone think the grouping within sculpt mode could do with a lot of improvement. I work with motion graphics, so I'm used to being able to see groups within groups, and click to open them up and see the heriarchy, plus what is in each one, and then being able to move objects from one group to another. There is none of this, and when making an object made of multiple parts, it can be very easy to get lost.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Does anyone think the grouping within sculpt mode could do with a lot of improvement. I work with motion graphics, so I'm used to being able to see groups within groups, and click to open them up and see the heriarchy, plus what is in each one, and then being able to move objects from one group to another. There is none of this, and when making an object made of multiple parts, it can be very easy to get lost.
Very easy to get lost, it would be cool if you could have a toggle so the last item outlined when you scope in and maybe add a number to the scope tab keeping track of how deep you are. Getting internal elements to the same group level can easily become a work of frustration.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do I make it so wires are always visible.
How do I assign directional pad and analogue to things like I can with other R1,R2,L1,L2 and the shape buttons? When I used that controller logic I see no directional inputs.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Hey Dream Dev bros.
Started creating something and I'm loving it!
Need to type text but don't want to keep a long USB keyboard hooked up. Anyone here using a Bluetooth Keyboard? Does it work well? Model and brand? Thanks!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Uploaded level 1-2 between 1 and 3 lol. Of course it created some sort of link problem between levels again and i had to delete the scene from the dream and re-link it twice to make it works, that's a strange bug.

At least the individual scoreboard worked directly here. I just had to (as last time) play it once to enter one record, then change the default scoring option (time and not number)

I also tried to create a varying mood for the world, by finding some rain on the dreamverse and paying with the light. So it's shaping up!
And the little story (won't be anything crazy obviously) is set. Except for the first level, all other one will have a level end journal to find and a hidden/challenging one before that, and they tell the story of a past robot taking the same path.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Has anyone developed a "lock on" system yet?
Only the most basic so far. button to selector to look at rotator to enemy tag. Still needs enemy cycling and the camera to behave like you'd come to expect if you want that though.

Edit: you can just power on the camera with the rotator so that will free up the right stick for target switching logic.

How do you select targets in a nonlinear fashion? Would it be with the laser scope maybe?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

For both objects that are in a group, AND for emitters where you reference an object - I'd like a better way to represent those. Eg for emitted items keep the referenced object near to the emitee so it can be edited

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Only the most basic so far. button to selector to look at rotator to enemy tag. Still needs enemy cycling and the camera to behave like you'd come to expect if you want that though.

Edit: you can just power on the camera with the rotator so that will free up the right stick for target switching logic.

How do you select targets in a nonlinear fashion? Would it be with the laser scope maybe?

I have no idea haha.

Personally I realized that for my game I wanted to originally just do a turned based affair but doesn't really fit with the story.

So I'm hoping to do a simple third person action thing with a lock on.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
I have no idea haha.

Personally I realized that for my game I wanted to originally just do a turned based affair but doesn't really fit with the story.

So I'm hoping to do a simple third person action thing with a lock on.
I hoooope someone eventually shares turn based logic.
I'd support users through patreon and whatever means for some logic boost😂 so I hope if users keep things to themselves they end up a means of dishing things out controllably at least.
third person turn based sword fighting is a thing I crave.

Media Molecule are wizards I can't mount a microchip inside a ball like them. I tried making a bit of oscillation logic to counter act the microchip camera wobble but the ball picks up speed so it varies too much. I've got this bouncy neighborhood just waiting. I'll figure out what I need to plug in for the varying oscillation before I figure out how the heck they mounted that chip I feel like😆

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I've figured out every part of how to use a text box as "glass" except the bit where it actually shows up in my scene. Powering the text gadget, sending a signal to "Play Text", sending a signal to "Show Box", none of it actually makes it appear in the scene. Anyone else know how this works?

EDIT: It turns out I needed to have at least a few characters in the box, so I just added in some spaces

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'd support users through patreon and whatever means for some logic boost😂 so I hope if users keep things to themselves they end up a means of dishing things out controllably at least.
third person turn based sword fighting is a thing I crave.

Media Molecule are wizards I can't mount a microchip inside a ball like them. I tried making a bit of oscillation logic to counter act the microchip camera wobble but the ball picks up speed so it varies too much. I've got this bouncy neighborhood just waiting. I'll figure out what I need to plug in for the varying oscillation before I figure out how the heck they mounted that chip I feel like😆

Out of interest, why don't you take their ball and modify it?

Oct 27, 2017
For the controller sticks, is there sensor that only detects a certain direction push rather than any direction? Trying to use a keyframe to do a Mario 64‐type body lean when running.
Use a splitter to seperate up/down & left/right and then a calculator to discern positive direction from negative.

I haven't looked at the media molecule example but you can teleport an invisible object to a tag you place on your ball and attach a camera to that.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Yay! I'm making progress!

I managed to set up the health drain, so naturally the next task was making a refill station. This was my first proper model but it turned out pretty well. I added an invisible plate on top that holds the ball so that it doesn't get caught on the geometry and made it refill the ball (with a sound!). After that, I added a calculator that checks if the health goes above [max-1] and if so, kills the ball. This is in line with the mechanics of Airball.

Next up was making a health display. I used the video linked before to figure out how to make a timeline to show a smaller or bigger health bar. As an added bonus, I put in an extra red border if health goes above a certain value AND is being refilled. This is a QOL improvement from the original game which didn't even have outlines for the bar - you just popped if the bar extended beyond an invisible point.

With that, I think I have the basics done. I can probably start building some level design blocks now.

Just one bug I've noticed: after putting in the health drain, it seems like dangerous obstacles don't instantly kill the ball now. You need to stab beside them for a short while. Is there a priority issue where the countdown clock blocks any checks from other hazards?

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone developed a "lock on" system yet?

look up:

Eugene (0.4) (third person combat system) by Mike_Watnot

Multi-Targeting Logic --- Dark Souls/God of War Style by lombax_pieboy
(lombax_pieboy also has a tutorial demo for the logic, make sure to go to his profile and check his creations for it)

Simple LockOn (WIP) by StankyDino

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody please answer.

The controller sensor has five or six tabs, pretty sure you'll find what you want on tabs 2 and 3.

As for making wires always visible, I don't think there's any way to do that but you should be organising as much logic as possible on microchips where wiring is permanently visible.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Dream Dev bros.
Started creating something and I'm loving it!
Need to type text but don't want to keep a long USB keyboard hooked up. Anyone here using a Bluetooth Keyboard? Does it work well? Model and brand? Thanks!
Pro tip: You can use the playstation second screen app to use the keyboard on your phone or ipad. I use my iPad pro as it has a keyboard, but even typing on your phone is a lot quicker than using a DS4.

I initially tried plugging in my Logitech wireless keyboard, and it just didn't seem to work at all for whatever reason.

Oct 26, 2017
I think all bluetooth keyboards need to install some kind of drivers for the dongle and the PS4 doesn't have any of those. A USB keyboard uses a standard interface so it should be fine.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017

Hahaha, they must be using a different version of Dreams.

There are a few things I don't totally understand but putting a microship in the center should be easy with the grid. What was weird was how to connect the microship to the object. Obviously you can't use object snap since you don't want it on the surface. For some reason I only could reproduce Mm's template if the ball was in a group. I must be missing something.

It says it's locked I tried copying it and gutting it and saving that but nothing carried over to well.

I just got the camera off the ball to be done with it

You can remix their ball! You will find a controllable ball element (and not the full level) that you can insert in your scenes.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Pro tip: You can use the playstation second screen app to use the keyboard on your phone or ipad. I use my iPad pro as it has a keyboard, but even typing on your phone is a lot quicker than using a DS4.

I initially tried plugging in my Logitech wireless keyboard, and it just didn't seem to work at all for whatever reason.

This sounds like a obvious solution... why didn't I remember this... Will definitely try it. Tks!

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
For some reason I only could reproduce Mm's template if the ball was in a group. I must be missing something.

You can remix their ball! You will find a controllable ball element (and not the full level) that you can insert in your scenes.
Ahh I don't know what I was even thinking trying to rip it from the level hahaha. Thank you!
Were you able to match the movement strength with the value slider numbers they had? With the exact same setup my values were way off I can't figure out where the difference is.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
So, it turns out that Doorways aren't good for the health of your thermometer.

whatisadoorwaysmkof.jpg

In other news, my big update for Duck Quacks is coming along swimmingly.

duckquacksdontechoverf6krf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.