• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I do Motion Graphics as a side gig. Many of the things I've seen of this - Emitters, motion paths, Randomisers - are common tool in that world. Can't wait to get stuck in.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
nah, fuck them.

they've been saying beta coming 2018 since last year - that's all they said. not once have they said you'd need to be subscribed to their newsletter to be able to get into the beta. suggestion is different from saying it is required.

they drop this news and suddenly they say you'd have to be subscribed to get it? AND that you'd have to be subscribed before they ssaid it was required that you were? seriously?

so technically it's only 2018 for people who have signed up for the newsletters, then, and it's 2019 for everyone else.

yeah, fuck them hard. like you and i aren't game devs but you and i know that's not how to communicate to people waiting for the beta. this isn't rocket science. at any point in the year they could have said, "well to access the beta you need to do this and that" and we would have done it but no, they pull shit like this. they had a plan and they knew damn well not everyone was gonna get it but instead of communicating clearly what had to be done, all they ever said is, 'it's coming it's coming it's coming" until 12 days before 2018 ends. how is that entitlement on my part?

How old are you, 5?

My 5 year old son doesn't have tantrums like this, grow up.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
all that's T
Now imagine what people can make in Dreams, a tool a thousand times more versatile and complex. Going from 2.5D to 3D alone is a huge undertaking.
if they are used to LBP. they can still mimick that since you can set the tool to "stay upright" and on a grid. and lock things to an axis. so it'll feel like home.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Ah, fudge. You have to have been signed up for the newsletter before December 7th.

https://www.mediamolecule.com/blog/article/dreams_creator_beta_faq

December 11 here. Ah well :(
FAQ vestan

Q: Do I need to be 18 to participate in the Beta?
A:
Yes, you do. Only players 18 or older qualify to participate in beta tests run by Sony. If you are under 18 and apply, your application will be rejected. The final version of Dreams will not carry this age restriction and will come with a PEGI and ESRB rating for age guidance.
Q: What will be available in this build?
A:
Our focus for beta is the create tools, so you'll find a pretty complete set of those as well as a partial set of tutorials to get you started. Our social features aren't 100% in yet, but you'll find some implemented and we'd love feedback on those areas. We'll have a few mini-games made by the team here and allow access to our companion site indreams.me.
Q: Is the beta only open to EU and US participants?
A:
Yes, the beta is only available in English and has been limited to EU, AUS, Middle East, Canada, Africa and US participants at this stage. We will list the full slate of languages for Dreams closer to launch.
Q: I JUST signed up for the newsletter, will I get a code?
A:
No, unfortunately we are only able to distribute codes to people who joined the newsletter before December 7th.
Q: I signed up for the newsletter in time but didn't receive a code. Help!?
A:
We weren't able to send codes to anyone who A) Didn't confirm their email as requested B) Doesn't fit the age/location criteria C) Doesn't have a PSN ID associated with their account. If you qualify but didn't receive your code please contact us at [email protected] so we can look into it.
Q:How many people can participate?
A:
We need lots of people to get the data we're looking for, but we don't have a hard number on how many people we'll let in. We will be inducting players in waves starting the week of January 8th, so when you don't immediately get access after the sign-up period ends, don't panic! We'll be adding players as we go. We can't promise everyone who signs up will get in but we'll try our best.
Q:What will NOT be available in this build?
A:
Our story mode won't be playable in Beta. We've also removed a lot of our content (bits & bobs, assets, unfinished things) as we want to ensure that everything on the server is finished and can carry over into the final game. We don't want to tweak anything of ours that you've used in your creations between now and launch and accidentally ruin your work. There also won't be trophies, some of the Dreamiverse (social) features or the full slate of imp customization, imp quests or final Community Challenge flow.
Q: Is local co-op in the beta build?
A:
Yes and no, You can play anything in play mode with a local player but co-op create (edit mode with two local players) isn't available in beta.
Q: What about VR?
A:
VR is not supported in the beta. We'll have more details about VR for Dreams closer to launch.
Q:Will my creations carry over into the final game?
A:
Yes, the current plan is that you'll be able to revisit what you create for beta in the final game (barring a tragic technical error between now and then!).
Q:Will my progress carry over into the final game?
A:
No. Your persona and imp quest progress will be reset for the final game.
Q:How long will it run?
A:
January 21st. We want to make sure we give our players a significant chunk of time to get familiar with the tools and make cool stuff, so we'll be running the beta for quite a while!
Q: I am excited to play Dreams, but I'm not much of a creator, is this beta for me?
A:
While the full version of Dreams has lots to offer for non-creators, beta is really just focused on creation. We don't want to discourage you from finding your inner artist, but the bulk of playable things in Dreams aren't included in this version. There's a lot of fun to be had in the creation process though, so if you're curious, we'd love to have you.
Q: NDA? Why? Isn't Dreams all about sharing?
A:
That's true, but we're not quite ready to share everything yet. It's key to this stage of development that we can get direct feedback and iterate before we're ready to let everyone go nuts on the internet. We can't wait for that day, but that isn't today.
Q: Where CAN I discuss the beta?
A:
We have a forum set up at feedback.indreams.me where you can connect with us to give feedback and chat to other players.
Q: Do I need PS Plus to join the beta?
A:
No, PS Plus is not required for Beta BUT you may be unable to connect to Dreams if the PlayStation Network is down or experiencing issues.
Q: How much save space does the beta take?
A:
The beta takes about 4 gigs of storage space, so you'll still have plenty of space for those other games you're playing!

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Q: NDA? Why? Isn't Dreams all about sharing?
A:
That's true, but we're not quite ready to share everything yet. It's key to this stage of development that we can get direct feedback and iterate before we're ready to let everyone go nuts on the internet. We can't wait for that day, but that isn't today.

How many people are going to break this, get banned, and throw a tantrum?

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
God why are gamers such an entitled and resentful bunch...The reason they're doing it this way is clearly so they can stress test servers on a smaller scale before they do so on a larger scale (typical closed beta to public beta transition). Now to get something similar, they could have done some sort of stupid raffle or luck based sign up which would be equally if not more frustrating, but instead they've decided to reward those who are the biggest fans or who have been following them the closest, and they get the same desired server side gradation in testing either way, without any of the luck of the draw nonsense. At least access to the Beta isn't tied to pre-orders or something like that.

dude, it would have been better if they were very clear about it from the get-go. like a lot of people out there, i've been waiting for the beta since last year (when they said the beta is coming this year). how hard is it to tweet out that we have to be subscribed to the newsletter to get into the beta? it's such a disservice to those who waited and waited for all of 2018 for them to release the beta 12 days before 2019...only to be told that we should have subscibed to the newsletter and worse, that we should have subbed before they said we should have subbed.

i mean, is it just me who has a problem with how they communicated with this? everyone's been waiting for more than a year to get into what they said was a public beta only to be told that you can't get in and they had all year to tell us how to get in but they chose not to disclose that? like...wth...of course i'd be upset at that kind of communication.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm so glad this is finally happening. I won't be in the beta, I'm happy to wait until the full release to create my Dreams with the tested product. Even if that's after January.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
dude, it would have been better if they were very clear about it from the get-go. like a lot of people out there, i've been waiting for the beta since last year (when they said the beta is coming this year). how hard is it to tweet out that we have to be subscribed to the newsletter to get into the beta? it's such a disservice to those who waited and waited for all of 2018 for them to release the beta 12 days before 2019...only to be told that we should have subscibed to the newsletter and worse, that we should have subbed before they said we should have subbed.

i mean, is it just me who has a problem with how they communicated with this? everyone's been waiting for more than a year to get into what they said was a public beta only to be told that you can't get in and they had all year to tell us how to get in but they chose not to disclose that? like...wth...of course i'd be upset at that kind of communication.

Use some common sense dude. If they announced ahead of time that you have to be signed up to the newsletter for access to the closed (key word closed) beta, then the next thing you know, tens if not hundreds of thousands of extra people sign up and get access to the closed beta, thus defeating the point of a closed beta which in this case is likely to stress test servers and functionality on a much smaller scale, before the larger scale public beta. This way, if shit goes wrong, far fewer people have a miserable first experience with the game whilst they iron out the kinks.

Mm obviously know exactly how many people are signed up to their newsletter, and likely decided close to that number of people was ideal for their initial closed beta testing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Use some common sense dude. If they announced ahead of time that you have to be signed up to the newsletter for access to the closed (key word closed) beta, then the next thing you know, tens if not hundreds of thousands of extra people sign up and get access to the closed beta, thus defeating the point of a closed beta which in this case is to likely stress test servers and functionality on a much smaller scale, before the larger scale public beta.

Mm obviously know exactly how many people are signed up to their newsletter, and likely decided close to that number of people was ideal for their initial closed beta testing.
This

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Use some common sense dude. If they announced ahead of time that you have to be signed up to the newsletter for access to the closed (key word closed) beta, then the next thing you know, tens if not hundreds of thousands of extra people sign up and get access to the closed beta, thus defeating the point of a closed beta which in this case is likely to stress test servers and functionality on a much smaller scale, before the larger scale public beta (thus if shit goes wrong, fewer people are angry, disappointed or perhaps even put off the title for good).

See, the problem is that is the standard for alphas and beta, announce its coming, announce how to sign up in advance and give everyone a shot.

Instead this is basically saying "OH YOU MISSED IT ALREADY TOO BAD"

It is a poor way to do a closed beta and is not the norm, it should have been made clear in advance and everyone should have had a chance to sign up and get a chance for a spot. Don't hype and tease a stream that is for the beta just for it to be this restrictive.

It is MM who is lacking common sense here.

They can still go with as many people as they like even with a basic sign up.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Use some common sense dude. If they announced ahead of time that you have to be signed up to the newsletter for access to the closed (key word closed) beta, then the next thing you know, tens if not hundreds of thousands of extra people sign up and get access to the closed beta, thus defeating the point of a closed beta which in this case is likely to stress test servers and functionality on a much smaller scale, before the larger scale public beta (thus if shit goes wrong, fewer people are angry, disappointed or perhaps even put off the title for good).

ah so just get people's hopes up, or knowingly omit a very vital information and just advertise a beta is coming for more than a year? yeah, sure. i mean if we are talking about common sense then isn't it common sense to communicate with people who are eagerly awaiting for your game instead of slyly circumventing the legalese of your "coming 2018" marketing only to slap a huge asterisk on it when you decided you were gonna go-live? i mean if this were the new battlefield's beta and they say you'd have to be subbed to their newsletter to get in and they never said a lick before they went live, pretty sure people would have been dogpiling on them already. mm had all year to communicate what needed to be done to get into the beta but they chose not to, and when they did it was already closed - rendering it useless. it's just infuriating, that's all.

was it so hard to tweet - hey sub on the newsletter to get into the beta - and from there we pick 5,000 people. i mean, was that so hard? instead we got it's coming yes we promise it's coming it's coming. and now yey it's coming tomorrow but no you can't get in sorry. like wth.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
giphy.gif

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah so just get people's hopes up, or knowingly omit a very vital information and just advertise a beta is coming for more than a year? yeah, sure. i mean if we are talking about common sense then isn't it common sense to communicate with people who are eagerly awaiting for your game instead of slyly circumventing the legalese of your "coming 2018" marketing only to slap a huge asterisk on it when you decided you were gonna go-live? i mean if this were the new battlefield's beta and they say you'd have to be subbed to their newsletter to get in and they never said a lick before they went live, pretty sure people would have been dogpiling on them already. mm had all year to communicate what needed to be done to get into the beta but they chose not to, and when they did it was already closed - rendering it useless. it's just infuriating, that's all.

This.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
See, the problem is that is the standard for alphas and beta, announce its coming, announce how to sign up in advance and give everyone a shot.

Instead this is basically saying "OH YOU MISSED IT ALREADY TOO BAD"

It is a poor way to do a closed beta and is not the norm, it should have been made clear in advance and everyone should have had a chance to sign up and get a chance for a spot. Don't hype and tease a stream that is for the beta just for it to be this restrictive.

They can still go with as many people as they like even with a basic sign up.

You completely and utterly missed the point of my post. Like spectacularly. Read it again and let the actual point sink in.

Also, the usual way closed beta's are done is through random invitations only, through pre-orders bonuses, luck based raffles and things of that nature. The way Mm have decided to do it is far better imo.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

was it so hard to tweet - hey sub on the newsletter to get into the beta - and from there we pick 5,000 people. i mean, was that so hard? instead we got it's coming yes we promise it's coming it's coming. and now yey it's coming tomorrow but no you can't get in sorry. like wth.

Dude, not only have you also spectacularly missed the point of my post similar to the poster above (I'm starting to see a trend), but you continue to sound unbelievably entitled and whingey. Fair enough you're disappointed, but understand that it's not some sort of intended personal slight, shit happens in video game development and life in general. Stuff gets delayed, things don't go according to time scales or schedules and so on. Thank fuck this game isn't cancelled and is still being made after all these years. Countless people didn't even think they'd deliver on a Beta at all!

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You completely and utterly missed the point of my post. Like spectacularly. Read it again and let the actual point sink in.

Also, the usual way closed beta's are done is through random invitations only, through pre-orders bonuses, luck based raffles and things of that nature. The way Mm have decided to do it is far better imo.

I fully understand your post thanks.

Pre-order bonuses are never this level of closed alpha/beta.

And yes, random invitations is how it should be, luck based and giving everyone an even chance. Are you so entrenched in your opinion you can't even understand this?

Feel free to go to the Dreams subreddit to see how this has upset the entire community, once again because of broken promises and not making this clear to anyone in advance. I don't subscribe to newsletters for my own reasons, so it isn't inclusive either.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Dude, not only have you also spectacularly missed the point of my post similar to the poster above (I'm starting to see a trend), but you continue to sound unbelievably entitled and whingey. Fair enough you're disappointed, but understand that it's not some sort of intended personal slight, shit happens in video game development and life in general. Stuff gets delayed, things don't go according to time scales or schedules and so on. Thank fuck this game isn't cancelled and is still being made after all these years. Countless people didn't even think they'd deliver on a Beta at all!

ehhh...i was anticipating it big time but this was such a letdown. literally a slap in the face to be told that i can't be in a beta i've been waiting on since last year and they communicated it so shittily this time around.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ehhh...i was anticipating it big time but this was such a letdown. literally a slap in the face to be told that i can't be in a beta i've been waiting on since last year and they communicated it so shittily this time around.

A meagre 2-3 week wait is a literal slap in the face?....

Gamers...

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you point me to where it says "open beta" in there?

Dreams would be getting a public beta

If you define what they announced today as a public beta please (it has an NDA ffs) and this was taken directly from their own blog post less than a month ago.

Clearly it was delayed and they should have said that.

Oct 25, 2017
you really gonna sit here and stew in gamer rage because you have to wait a few more days to play a video game for free? Game development is incredibly difficult, and Dreams is one of the most complex and ambitious projects I've ever seen. Relax, play something else in the meantime, and chill with the entitlement. It makes us look worse as a community.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you really gonna sit here and stew in gamer rage because you have to wait a few more days to play a video game for free? Game development is incredibly difficult, and Dreams is one of the most complex and ambitious projects I've ever seen. Relax, play something else in the meantime, and chill with the entitlement. It makes us look worse as a community.

Who said I was filled with rage? Just assuming things?

Also, if entitlement is expecting a developer to do what they promised then no wonder this medium is getting so fucked.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be cool to see what people will be able to make with this. Edit: I mean with the game in general once it's out, not the beta.

Oct 25, 2017
Who said I was filled with rage? Just assuming things?

Also, if entitlement is expecting a developer to do what they promised then no wonder this medium is getting so fucked.
The medium is not fucked because a beta is late. Do you think the kind folks at MM are deliberately lying to you, or do you think they want people to play Dreams just as badly as you want to play it? Get some perspective dude.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sure doesn't mention a closed beta with NDA and basically no sign up or chance to sign up either.

Right, they just mentioned beta, meaning it could be closed or open. But really it doesn't actually matter because it's the difference of like a measly 2 week wait between the two. Christ almighty just learn to be a bit patient. At least when we get to play it (I never signed up to the newsletter either) we'll have 2 weeks worth of new public made content to play with.