• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think the bridges are burnt between Ninja and Twitch. Really, really burned. Shroud may be more likely.

The thing about Ninja coming back to Twitch after 2 years:

1. If he is abandoning mixer as soon as his contract is up, he probably would have had atrocious viewership numbers, why would Twitch really want him back after so much bad blood?
2. if he was successful on Mixer, why would Ninja go back to Twitch and risk it AGAIN? Unless Twitch buys ninjas exclusivity to stick it to MS.

the only thing I can see after the bad blood between them, is that Ninja would be a very prominent spokesperson about the bad decision he made to leave Twitch, and he is regretful to ever have left them, etc. etc.
Wait, Ninja's contract to go stream on mixer is only for 2 years?

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
So claims DrD. (well, he talked about Shroud, but he probably got the same deal as Ninja.)
He also said he got offered himself.

And he isnt wrong here. Ninja went from upwards to 50k average viewers down to 9-10k on Mixer. Ninja better how he banked a lot of money. 2 years is a long time to slip to irrelevance.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
congratulations on being the first person in history to use drdisrespect and 'elaborate thoughts' in the same sentence.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I see era still can't figure out that this is a character.

The dr disrespect is a persona people, don't take it so seriously.

Love when people make this excuse for everything he does

Dude can just do whatever the fuck he wants apparently and people will wave it off as him being "in character"

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Every person in the end has to do that they think is best for themselves so him giving his analysis on someone else's decision really doesn't mean much for me.

I don't watch much streaming myself but the only thing we can do is speculate on whether this deal is worth it or not, which entirely depends on what outcome do both parties (MS/Streamer) is looking to get out of it.

I don't think MS will have much trouble in the long term with Mixer as a platform due to having a console themselves, now they seem to want to expand on their PC footprint. Their store is still in beta and along with gamepass and some of these big name streamers will help get the ball rolling even more.

For a streamer I definitely see Mixer can be an option to consider, and for anyone in any job having options is best. I don't see why there would need to be negativity about that, mixer doesn't need to be the best, it just needs to be profitable, serve it's community and meet MS expectations whatever they are. Lots of these steamers popularity and livelihood seems to depend on the popularity of the game they play, which in itself can lower at any moment. Not to mention that we have no idea how these contracts work at all, especially when it comes to "unable to play" injuries, and compensation. And while this streamer talks viewership numbers having a direct impact on someone's branding, there is no telling just yet how MS will push the Ninja brand (or have an impact on it) until we have a reasonable amount of time with him there as a partner.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. I expect him to move as early as beginning of next year and then give some crap explanation why, cleverly avoiding the word "money"

He's the only streamer I can imagine that would flat out say he is doing it for the money.

"why am I moving!?!!? for the MONEY AHAHAHAHAHAAHAH." Then he'll comb his mustache or something.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
But I don't care what anyone says, if you are Ninja or Shroud and Microsoft is writing you a check for 25 million dollars to stream on Mixer, you would be a damn fool to say no and stay on twitch.

I disagree. If you're a big streamer on twitch and you stay while others take the money and leave, you move up the twitch ladder to become even bigger.

If you're in the top 15 or so on twitch, you're already making a lot of money.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I do wonder if Doc is being so vocal about anti mixer now - to raise his stock so mixer really pay a lot to get him to come over. Because then people will go "fuck if doc has been convinced things must actually be changing". Doc, Shroud and Summit are the only big streamers I enjoy. Shroud hasn't got me to load mixer up yet.

Also it's hilarious people here think xbox wouldn't want Doc on Mixer. Come the fuck on.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know these dudes make good money on Twitch, but outside of Ninja were others really pulling in tens of millions a year to the point it is more profitable to spurn offers from MS worth 10 plus million?

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
Docs viewership has gone up significantly since Shroud left. The numbers would have to be astronomical for him to leave. Like he mentioned in the video, the two platforms arent even close.

When Goth stopped streaming the other day on Mixer I wanted to check out who was streaming Hearthstone....ZERO people were streaming it.

Unless MS has way more power moves planned for Mixer, other than giving it its own Xbox Dashboard tab, its going to feel like these streamers are starting from scratch when they go back to Twitch when their contracts are up.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
its going to feel like these streamers are starting from scratch when they go back to Twitch when their contracts are up.
Yeah I'm sure it will feel like they're starting from scratch when they announce their returns to their millions of followers across social media / YouTube.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He also said he got offered himself.

And he isnt wrong here. Ninja went from upwards to 50k average viewers down to 9-10k on Mixer. Ninja better how he banked a lot of money. 2 years is a long time to slip to irrelevance.

Ninja was down to around 20-25k when he left.

MS paid him for his social media presence and as someone to spearhead marketing on Halo PC / Halo Infinite in 2020.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Mixer has been doing interesting moves with the pickup for Ninja and Shroud. It's moreso the grab of huge names to get Mixer on even a few peoples radars. They also picked up Gothalion recently who's not on the same level but will probably be one of the spearheaders/pioneers for helping to grow a community on Mixer.
Ninja/Shroud are more like in the vein of exclusive programing and are for the purpose of publicity/some of their fanbase.

Overall i hope Mixer is successful with their plans as it'd be cool to see more competition and innovation.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a big fan of dr but this wasn't a bad video once you get past the first half of him doing his in character schtick. He brings up some good points.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
For someone who doesnt care about Mixer he sure does talk a lot about it ..

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
bathroom.png

One and done

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I know these dudes make good money on Twitch, but outside of Ninja were others really pulling in tens of millions a year to the point it is more profitable to spurn offers from MS worth 10 plus million?

No. Going of just subs and donations its probably around $1million per year, plus any money they make getting paid to play new games. But its steady income, and they know they have an audience.

The ones taking a big check to go to mixer is probably them just cashing out to retire.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Docs viewership has gone up significantly since Shroud left. The numbers would have to be astronomical for him to leave. Like he mentioned in the video, the two platforms arent even close.

When Goth stopped streaming the other day on Mixer I wanted to check out who was streaming Hearthstone....ZERO people were streaming it.

Unless MS has way more power moves planned for Mixer, other than giving it its own Xbox Dashboard tab, its going to feel like these streamers are starting from scratch when they go back to Twitch when their contracts are up.

That's why you have to "buy" or incentivize normal streamers to come to your platform. You need breadth, so that your viewers can watch other people from games they are interested in.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
If I were Mixer, the deal I would have gone with instead of exclusivity was paying these streamers to stream on both platforms simoultaneously, but only pay the streamers to only directly engage with the audience on the Mixer platform (Mixer Chat). This would've made viewers who like participating and engaging with the streamers to switch over to mixer long term, and potentially discover other streamers that are only on mixer.
You're not allowed to stream on other sites if you're a Twitch partner though, so that wouldn't be possible.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
So... Watching the video for more than 5 minutes....

You start to see Dr. Disrespect drop his "character" and he seems to talk... Quite normal?

It's bizzare to see the eratic head shaking and profanity the doc is known for change into someone actually being serious. And he even wishes shroud and co. The best on mixer...?

It's pretty common, he frequently just talks to the champions club about day to day stuff all the time, those moments just can't be clipped and thrown on Twitter easily.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean. Why go to the smaller community where there's way less viewership, less streamers, and less potential. It would have to take a mass streamer exodus from Twitch to go to mixer to even get close to obtaining Twitch numbers. Twitch has some solid communities with great people running the show and participating, no point in throwing that away just because Shroud and Ninja left.

Mixer is taking the EGS approach- try to buy enough big-name streamers in order to get the audience. It's the only way you can really break in on a monopoly. I'm ok with it, because Twitch is not exactly the good guys here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Mixer is taking the EGS approach- try to buy enough big-name streamers in order to get the audience. It's the only way you can really break in on a monopoly. I'm ok with it, because Twitch is not exactly the good guys here.

And it doesn't work. Viewership is down on Mixer since Ninja's move, while content creation even went up.