• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
It just comes down to what the streamer wants and the direction they want to take their brand.

He's not wrong about the drop in viewers for moving to Mixer and how your can't buy a community. Right now Ninja has slightly more than 8,000 viewers. That was his typical viewership back when he was playing Halo and Destiny before blowing up playing Fortnite.

Not only that, seeing that the average user that doc quotes (1.5m vs. 50k) - if I were looking to get into streaming, I would be even more excited to try going on Twitch as now there are voids that could be filled that was left by those who have taken deals.

In fact, as people have left for Mixer, Doc's numbers have continued to steadily climb because users are consolidating around those who are sticking around.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I'll never understand anyone who even remotely likes this guy.
I'll never understand why people feel the need to consistently fill threads that have an actual topic with irrelevant information surrounding the person bringing actual points to the table. Like, stick to the topic, or don't post. It's so simple.

How do you feel about the things he has to say? That's what I expect to see from each poster when seeing a reply in a thread.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Pokimain might be next. She said she has something to announce and that the contract will be signed soonish.

MS needs to do a bit more like charity streams and sign e-sport games to the service like LoL or Apex Legends. Only watch those games on our site. Participate in this cancer charity for the weekend. More can and will be done I think.

Oct 27, 2017
Twitch Prime is just really powerful right now. Microsoft will need to do something similar and offer a free Mixer sub with every Game Pass Ultimate sub or something.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people feel the need to consistently fill threads that have an actual topic with irrelevant information surrounding the person bringing actual points to the table. Like, stick to the topic, or don't post. It's so simple.

How do you feel about the things he has to say? That's what I expect to see from each poster when seeing a reply in a thread.

Did i offend you? I'm pretty sure talking about his persona is sticking to what he has to say, which, for me, is a huge amount of bullshit - just like himself.

Nice backseat modding, though.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Everybody's got a price. I hate the Dallas Cowboys, and let's say I said I would never play for them. If they offered me a huge amount of money that would make sure my children's children are set for life? I'd get "I love the Cowboys" on my chest.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
His final line is "It's literally the same, with less viewers.".

And in my head there was only one thought:

Fewer.
tenor.gif

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Did i offend you? I'm pretty sure talking about his persona is sticking to what he has to say, which, for me, is a huge amount of bullshit - just like himself.

Nice backseat modding, though.
Talking about his persona has absolutely nothing to do with what he's saying in the video in the OP. If you have nothing to say about what Doc is saying about Mixer vs Twitch or something of that nature, just keep it to yourself. It's not hard.

Nice thread derail attempt, though.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
As crazy as this sounds I predict We're are about 1.5 to 2 years aways from Mixer exclusive streamed games. Games that only can be streamed on Mixer. Twitch cant stream them. Exclusive streamers to a streaming platform , exclusive games to a streaming platform. Could happen.
I could totally see that happening some day.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
I don't know the metrics, but if what he says is true, that Twitch has that much more viewers than Mixer, then they really have a lot of catching up to do.

And like he said, a good part that constitutes a streamer success on Twitch is building a sense of community in your channel, and you can't buy that easily, it's usually something that streamers build over the years, and if you switch platforms, some of those viewers will follow you, but something may not, since Twitch still offers a larger variety of content and streamers.

But only time will tell if these aquisitions will affect both platforms in the long run.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure that all these big name streamers joining Mixer will go back to Twitch once the exclusivity contract runs out. Not to mention the free publicity they will get, especially Ninja, once he ends back on Twitch. It's a win/win situation for them and the only one losing money here is MS.

A better investment would have been to pay Sony to use Mixer as the primary streaming platform on the PS but I guess they probably wouldn't have agreed to that.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put all your shitty, ignorant feelings out there for the world to see and say you're "in character", people will laugh and love you for it

Thats the point of the character, Most if not all of what he says he doesnt actually stand for and often does back track and give real feelings on situations like he did in the video but ok.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the twitch community is huge but it makes me sick, I feel so much better on any Mixer stream's chat, it's not even close.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017

more thoughts on the situation from Cohn, who I think was actually offered a large amount of money from MS early on but refused

i really like cohh. maybe fill this thread up with other interesting streamers like him. couldn't give a fig about dd.

also tbh i cannot disagree with what cohh is saying. i started watching shroud when pubg was getting big, and he was far more into and focused on play. towards the end of pubg, with the release of apex, he seemed on a downward trend where he just seemed exhausted of constant 10 hour streams of doing the same thing again and again. mixer being a retirement package for someone who doesn't want to be doing 5-6 days of streaming a week 5 years down the road doesn't seem like a bad play.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
As crazy as this sounds I predict We're are about 1.5 to 2 years aways from Mixer exclusive streamed games. Games that only can be streamed on Mixer. Twitch cant stream them. Exclusive streamers to a streaming platform , exclusive games to a streaming platform. Could happen.

So, one the things I think is going to happen is this, but I think Amazon is going to be the one to do it with Twitch.

At the end of this year, the heads of Twitch are going to be stepping down as this is part of their 5-year deal they had with Amazon during the buyout process. Amazon, in my opinion, is not going to be as passive as Twitch has been in this regard.

On the flip side, any game developer or publisher who signs the streaming rights to their game for the platform with the exponentially lower average user base (Doc says in the video its around 50k vs 1.5m), is just asking to have their game buried and ignored.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm sure that all these big name streamers joining Mixer will go back to Twitch once the exclusivity contract runs out. Not to mention the free publicity they will get, especially Ninja, once he ends back on Twitch. It's a win/win situation for them and the only one losing money here is MS.

A better investment would have been to pay Sony to use Mixer as the primary streaming platform on the PS but I guess they probably wouldn't have agreed to that.

I think the bridges are burnt between Ninja and Twitch. Really, really burned. Shroud may be more likely.

The thing about Ninja coming back to Twitch after 2 years:

1. If he is abandoning mixer as soon as his contract is up, he probably would have had atrocious viewership numbers, why would Twitch really want him back after so much bad blood?
2. if he was successful on Mixer, why would Ninja go back to Twitch and risk it AGAIN? Unless Twitch buys ninjas exclusivity to stick it to MS.

the only thing I can see after the bad blood between them, is that Ninja would be a very prominent spokesperson about the bad decision he made to leave Twitch, and he is regretful to ever have left them, etc. etc.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Ice Poseidon is on Mixer so the thought that somehow Doc is a step too far for the platform is hilarious. He would be just as much a get for them as Shroud.

The Dropped Frames crowd had a good talk about all this Mixer stuff last night.

I didn't realize they were hosting Ice Poseidon, that's pretty gross. I don't know how I can still be surprised at how companies will tolerate anything for a dollar.

Oct 25, 2017
His persona is literally a joke though? Like its not meant to be taken seriously.

I'm aware. I still find it obnoxious and i still find a lot of his messaging and stuff he has done quite shitty.

Talking about his persona has absolutely nothing to do with what he's saying in the video in the OP. If you have nothing to say about what Doc is saying about Mixer vs Twitch or something of that nature, just keep it to yourself. It's not hard.

Nice thread derail attempt, though.

His persona totally has to do with the tone of the message in the OP, which i think is bullshit. It's not that hard.

I guess you're a fan, though. It did piss you off.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure a lot of Era members that take pride in hating everything this guy does also happened to play the games he helped to create and enjoyed them

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
On the flip side, any game developer or publisher who signs the streaming rights to their game for the platform with the exponentially lower average user base (Doc says in the video its around 50k vs 1.5m), is just asking to have their game buried and ignored.

It's the Epic approach. But you can't buy consumers.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
i really like cohh. maybe fill this thread up with other interesting streamers like him. couldn't give a fig about dd.

also tbh i cannot disagree with what cohh is saying. i started watching shroud when pubg was getting big, and he was far more into and focused on play. towards the end of pubg, with the release of apex, he seemed on a downward trend where he just seemed exhausted of constant 10 hour streams of doing the same thing again and again. mixer being a retirement package for someone who doesn't want to be doing 5-6 days of streaming a week 5 years down the road doesn't seem like a bad play.
I feel the same about Shroud's stream to be honest. It feels like he's reached a point where he's gotten so big that he doesn't care about "trying" to put on a good stream. At the same time, something like that should be allowed, because he's just a dude who wants to play games.

I think Shroud is a good example of someone who clearly worked for something, and got it. His skill level is undeniable, but the effort he put towards consistently streaming and making time available for that is what got him to where he is. You can't get big on skill level alone (which Doc mentions in the vid in the OP) -- evidenced by Shroud's friends that he plays with frequently who are as good if not better than he is overall, but have less viewership. Shroud just put that time and effort in to streaming so consistently that he got the numbers with help from his skill level (which obviously doesn't come from thin air). I think the move to Mixer for him was a sense of safety that he won't have to put AS much time and effort into building that up again. But, that remains to be seen.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware. I still find it obnoxious and i still find a lot of his messaging and stuff he has done quite shitty.

His persona totally has to do with the tone of the message in the OP, which i think is bullshit. It's not that hard.

I guess you're a fan, though. It did piss you off.

What messaging has he done though? Hes never incited Violence, caused a riot or did harm to anyone im not sure what message your talking about.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It's all money and doing what's best for yourself financially. Can't hate someone for putting themselves in a better situation.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So like does anyone have a good text summary of whatever he's saying because any time he opens his mouth all I can hear are either toilet flushing sounds or dated Chinese sterotype speech.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many people on Era don't judge him for his streaming career or style but judge him as a person. It would be fine if they would focus on this streaming stuff.

He streamed himself in a public bathroom with a minor in there. Like, in what world does he need a defense for this?

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Doc is the best entertainer on twitch.. Ninja and everyone else won't come even close.

Production values etc.. just on another level.

I'm not saying he is a better gamer because Ninja and Shroud are much better in the gaming and competitive department but the Doc is on a different level of streaming quality.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
It's all money and doing what's best for yourself financially. Can't hate someone for putting themselves in a better situation.
I think the point that Doc is trying to make is, how do they know it's better?

Obviously we don't know what was in the contract, but the contract will obviously expire eventually, and when that happens it remains to be seen what someone like Ninja's value for Mixer overall will be. A lot of folks in the thread have brought up that his viewership was already declining before he moved, and continues to decline now that he's over at Mixer.

If Microsoft continues to make "acquisitions" -- some that directly compete with Ninja -- and Ninja drops down to like... 1k viewers consistently, you have to wonder if Microsoft will be as enthused to sign him for another contract.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's the double edged sword of the strategy MS took, you'd have to be stupid to willingly move to Mixer if you are a somewhat big streamer (1k-5k average viewers lets say). MS have shown they'll throw money around. Someone the size as Doc would demand a huge fee. He also benefits from big streamers leaving too, so he has no reason to rush.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oh no won't someone think of the adulterer who happily films a child urinating in a bathroom. I can't imagine stanning for someone like this. Do people think they are friends with him when he says their username after a donation or something?

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
That's the double edged sword of the strategy MS took, you'd have to be stupid to willingly move to Mixer if you are a somewhat big streamer (1k-5k average viewers lets say). MS have shown they'll throw money around. Someone the size as Doc would demand a huge fee. He also benefits from big streamers leaving too, so he has no reason to rush.
Yeah I think the point of "the cheque" is an important one. Shroud and Ninja were absolutely not gonna move to Mixer if they didn't have a (likely) fat cheque waiting for them.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Oh no won't someone think of the adulterer who happily films a child urinating in a bathroom. I can't imagine stanning for someone like this. Do people think they are friends with him when he says their username after a donation or something?
You don't have to "stan" for someone to agree/disagree/discuss their opinions/thoughts. Literally the basis of actual discussion is people bringing differing opinions/thoughts/values to a table.

Or are you suggesting that we only discuss things that we inherently agree with? Because there's a word for that.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

more thoughts on the situation from Cohn, who I think was actually offered a large amount of money from MS early on but refused

Damn, that's pretty savage but also true. I never thought of it like that.

But I don't care what anyone says, if you are Ninja or Shroud and Microsoft is writing you a check for 25 million dollars to stream on Mixer, you would be a damn fool to say no and stay on twitch.