• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida

Have you heard of and or familiar with the hashtag #DrawingWhileBlack ?

The hashtag was organized and created by artist Abelle Hayford back in 2017. As per their website:

"Abelle organized #DrawingwhileBlack, a viral hashtag to celebrate and promote black artists around the world!"

The hashtag is one you can use across all of social media and especially Twitter, to see artwork from Black artists from all over. It's an impressive resource to discover artists in industries and spaces that often go unseen.

But why is this important?

Some details from Bustle:

Beyond artists whose work makes it into museums and galleries, everyday working artists also face some striking statistics: according to research in 2014, 77.6 percent of all the artists who can afford to support themselves with their art are white. 92 percent of all museum-goers and 80 percent of museum studies graduates are white. It isn't easy to be a Black artist when these institutions don't prioritize inclusivity.

At one end of this thread is a hashtag celebrating Black talent, particularly female talent, through gorgeous images all over Twitter. At the other is systematic bias throughout the many different levels of the artistic industry, from audiences to buyers. It continues to be a hard world, and #DrawingWhileBlack is a reminder of the talent that remains, in many ways, unfairly untapped.

So with Black History Month ending, take the time to see some Black artists' work and share it.

What are your favorites?

*Remember there's a lot of talent out there*

Edit: I added to the OP, when sharing your favorite artwork, I ask you have it accompany the tweet/source/artist link in your post.

Edit 2 to the OP:

Complaints about the hashtag and thread title will be considered drive by posts. My thread title is explained in detail with in the OP.

If you wanna come in here and immediately assume this was a case of Black folks facing more injustice well what can I tell you.

Oh no wait, if you all gave a damn about marginalized people's humanity and worth this hashtag and thread wouldn't be needed.

Tdlr; stop complaining about the title and hashtag in this thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I want a story about this one. So cool.
ERzvKyJU8AAvWGl

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
I fuckin love these!!!! It feels good to see more black artists! We have untapped power hidden by the mainstream.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for making this thread!

I had a really good time browsing the hashtag. Some of my favourites.

The diverse styles and abundant talent were a sight to behold.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
That hover Bentley motorbike gives me life, but that third picture? I need a whole comic/novel/movie about that.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Oh awesome, will be checking that tag out. Immense talent already shown in just this thread.

Please link credit all artwork you share to the accompanying tweet/post/artist
OP
OP
Urban Scholar

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
I participated in this! Idk if I should link my Twitter here though lol

The court asks you plug your art work please

Edit: I added to the OP, when sharing your favorite artwork, I ask you have it accompany the tweet/source/artist link in your post.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
A friend of mine already showed me a lot of these so I don't have any new ones to share yet, but this is such a good hashtag. This one below by Evan Monteiro is my favorite. I know it's a popular favorite but the level of detail and the sense of posture and the colors are just so good.

The aesthetic here is so incredible.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine already showed me a lot of these so I don't have any new ones to share yet, but this is such a good hashtag. This one below by Evan Monteiro is my favorite. I know it's a popular favorite but the level of detail and the sense of posture and the colors are just so good.

The aesthetic here is so incredible.
I want to be her.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It was enjoyable going though this hashtag yesterday.

When I saw the hashtag my first thought was "oh fuck, I hope the cops didn't shoot them."

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Here's a few more I liked that from the hashtag:

This is by Hero Fox, part of this tweet: https://twitter.com/heyfoxprince/status/1233126357904904192
ERzw1SqWkAAUgQS

I also love this storybook art from @elixiadraws.

And I also love Disney-style art of black characters. There's a lot of tremendous and incredible animation in Princess & The Frog (seriously, if you haven't watched that movie in a long time, rewatch it. The animation in that movie is some of the best American cinema has ever produced, IMO) but it remains the only movie of its kind where we see black characters animated and drawn like that. So I love art in this style because it feels rare:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Amazing thread thank you Urban Scholar. Already have a number of these amazing artists on my TL but already giving plenty more to follow. Hectic between stuff but will sit down tomorrow and contribute any that haven't already been shared.

For now though can't not shout out céli:

Nevermind this hashtag is amazing and spotted @elixiadraws just getting that one:

Edit: Well, Finale Fireworker apparently had the same sentiment haha.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
These are all so cool. I'll comb through my twitter feed and find something to post too.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While not in the drawing while black hashtag this is the perfect time to post the amazing pencil artist Kelvin Okafor

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of @Misterode on Instagram. He has a Twitter, but it seems like he mainly showcases the work on IG.... and idk how to link IG posts lmao.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wish I had known about this before yesterday. I'm still gonna use that hashtag for my artwork going forward. Foujd some amazing artists like the one in the OP and first post to follow now.

It's criminal this thread isn't longer already lol

I don't care that it's only been up for almost 2 hours! 😂😂

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wish I had known about this before yesterday. I'm still gonna use that hashtag for my artwork going forward. Foujd some amazing artists like the one in the OP and first post to follow now.

It's criminal this thread isn't longer already lol

I don't care that it's only been up for almost 2 hours! 😂😂
This hashtag has come up at least once before, so I think it comes and goes. I'd love to see it just become a regular/permanent trend. :O

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I guess I can promote my friend Seageart here! I think he posts more content on Instagram than Twitter. No idea how to link Instagram. XD