• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Ya' know, I've never played vanilla DD, so I'm sure this isn't some new take, but I think I can understand the design idea behind not wanting you to have fast travel. Most times when I set out on an adventure, I'm leaving the capital city at the crack of the morning. So as I make my way to whatever direction I've decided to head into, the day continues on and finally when I do make it to my location (which always seems JUST far enough), night has fallen and that's when the fun happens.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Ya' know, I've never played vanilla DD, so I'm sure this isn't some new take, but I think I can understand the design idea behind not wanting you to have fast travel. Most times when I set out on an adventure, I'm leaving the capital city at the crack of the morning. So as I make my way to whatever direction I've decided to head into, the day continues on and finally when I do make it to my location (which always seems JUST far enough), night has fallen and that's when the fun happens.
yeah, the lack of a fast travel for the majority of the game added to the experience in vanilla for me

but I also get why people would be annoyed by it so I'm glad it's an available option

eggs

Oct 25, 2017
Not for this playthrough, but is there any desire for a disabler sorcerer pawn (petrification, voidspell etc) or do people mainly want a sorcerer pawn that casts offensive spells? Lol I'm already planning my second playthrough with a different main build/pawn build.

Also, does anyone have a Roomba pawn? I'm kinda in the market for a pawn that runs around and picks things up. I don't think I can search by inclination so it's been a bit of a crapshoot.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Not for this playthrough, but is there any desire for a disabler sorcerer pawn (petrification, voidspell etc) or do people mainly want a sorcerer pawn that casts offensive spells? Lol I'm already planning my second playthrough with a different main build/pawn build.

Also, does anyone have a Roomba pawn? I'm kinda in the market for a pawn that runs around and picks things up. I don't think I can search by inclination so it's been a bit of a crapshoot.
I'd say any good Sorc pawn should have at least Comestion and Miasma on since those are S-tier spells, but after that, support + disables are definitely good. I think Petrify is situational but Lassitude and Exequy are great alternatives to just making a straight damage pawn that will honestly spend more time getting knocked out of casting animations than doing actual damage.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Another weird thing: the battle/danger music sometimes just won't turn off, even I killed all the enemies and there aren't any more around. Once, it kept playing even during a cutscene, which made it hard to understand what the characters were saying.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know fast travel was a thing and I jumped in at Dark Arisen. I don't think I ever fast traveled in my first playthrough... Wait is fast travelling those crystals in a circular configuration? I picked those up and stashed them in storage. D:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
yeah, the lack of a fast travel for the majority of the game added to the experience in vanilla for me

but I also get why people would be annoyed by it so I'm glad it's an available option
The thing is the first time you play the game it's nice to be limited in fast travelling and force you to "adventure" yourself in the wild.

But if you play the game again (say in and Expansion *wink*) it's nice to be able to do things a bit faster.

That being said I'm not a fan of the eternal ferrystone. Cheaper ferrystones (+ additional portcrystals) would have been enough.

Edit: Or introduce a limitation to the eternal ferrystone like a cooldown or something (or make it weighty I dunno). It's weird that they cheapened ferrystones yet even for free they would be 100% useless (I mean why are they even in the game ...)

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know fast travel was a thing and I jumped in at Dark Arisen. I don't think I ever fast traveled in my first playthrough... Wait is fast travelling those crystals in a circular configuration? I picked those up and stashed them in storage. D:

Yeah, the crystals you can find are basically checkpoints you can choose to place, and ferrystones (if you had the OG save with last gens DA, or any of the current gen versions, you can get an infinite use one) are used to teleport to them.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the crystals you can find are basically checkpoints you can choose to place, and ferrystones (if you had the OG save with last gens DA, or any of the current gen versions, you can get an infinite use one) are used to teleport to them.
Oh you can put them anywhere or does it have to be on those circles?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to triple dip and pick up this game on Switch and, man, I forgot how much I love this game. I also forgot how unforgiving and how much of a "fuck you" attitude it has regarding auto-saves which may as well not exist at all since it's so rare for the game to do it at all. Like, the most important rule that I'd totally forgotten was that you need to manually save every 30 seconds or every couple minutes otherwise you could lose several hours of progress in an instant.

And just like the first time, I'm still in total disbelief that horses don't exist in this universe lol But anywho, got two playthroughs going, male fighter with female strider pawn on one and female strider with female fighter pawn on the other and right now my strider is basically my main playthrough because across like 5 playthroughs back on the ps3, I've always rocked male fighter/mystic knight. Really digging playing as the strider but the aim speed is so slow lol

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Arisen and Pawn created. Goofing around between Cassardis and the Encampment in Hard Mode, leveling up and accruing gold, xp, and discipline.

Era: Mejilan
NNID: Mejilan
Arisen: Nahat
Pawn: Ahamet
FC: SW-3449-8819-4575

Finally decided what I'll be doing for my Switch run, and have quoted myself to bring forward my Switch FC, since I think it's relevant. I've also edited most of the contents of this post back into my threadmark.

I'm going to recreate my Arisen (Nahat) and Pawn (Ahamet) from my PS4 playthroughs. They were physically identical twins, and shall be once again. Though I think I'll make them a bit taller (200) and heavier (69) to increase their carry capacity a bit. I'm attaching screen caps of what they look like on PS4.

Nahat will be a Mystic Archer this time around, instead of the min-maxed Assassin I last ran. She'll be following this build:
https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#as000000000000003c1e000000000064000000

Ahamet will remain a mostly min-maxed Mage/Sorcerer, though I'm tweaking her build as follows to increase her survivability. Once she hits 200, she'll flip back to a Mage for the heals.
https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#as003c0000001e000000000000000064000000

nC5MBegh.jpg

MlNz78hh.jpg

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Man, that music bug is one hell of a shitstain on an otherwise pretty decent port.

Edit: It's a shame coz when shit's working as intended, this game is still pretty fucking amazing to this day.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
For the music bug, look for an enemy that's clipped through a wall or hill. You may be able to spot and kill it, which will properly end the encounter.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
I've got a trip to Europe in a week. I'm about 20 hours in and loving it. I'll be doing this the whole flight.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I changed the pawn from mage to sorcerer and now she doesn't heal me :^( she lost many spells i guess you are supposed to level up until you buy a healing spell again but it sucks, i realized i depend too much on healing

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the next place I should look to get weapons after Gran Soren? Been using the same longbow and everything for a long time, it feels like

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Do you ever re-encounter pawns your previously hired at a higher level? I have gotten attached to a few of my pawns and I'm sad that I am going to have to let them go.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I changed the pawn from mage to sorcerer and now she doesn't heal me :^( she lost many spells i guess you are supposed to level up until you buy a healing spell again but it sucks, i realized i depend too much on healing
You can just stock up on grass and use it anytime, even while taking damage or climbing monsters. This goes for restoring stamina too.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Sorcerers don't heal- you'll need a mage for that.
The best way to heal is to buy a load of empty flasks, and fill them up with healing spring water. For the time being though, either rent a Mage pawn, or use greenwarish.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm very early on, just got to the main capital, did a bunch of Sidequests, I switched from Sword to Magick Archer at BBI and came back to the mainland. Now I'm using daggers, is it just me or is my dmg output insanely low. IDK how to get those numbers up. I've leveld up, bought the best daggers available at the moment in town, leveld them up to one star, it's all I can do for now, but damn, fighting anything is like me doing 1 hp of health to it

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Sorcerers do not learn any healing spells. You can change her back to mage for free though, with nothing lost.

Where's the next place I should look to get weapons after Gran Soren? Been using the same longbow and everything for a long time, it feels like

Gran Soren is really the only place to buy weapons, the weapons shop gets new stuff in as you advance the main story. Otherwise it's down to what you loot. Apparently Bitterblack Isle weapons are far and away better than anything you'll find anywhere else though.

Do you ever re-encounter pawns your previously hired at a higher level? I have gotten attached to a few of my pawns and I'm sad that I am going to have to let them go.

In the rift you can search by pawns you've used before unless I'm mistaken. You can also favorite pawns, and find them later on your favorites list.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I am slowly going through the list of threadmarks and sending friend requests to everyone that hasn't already sent me one.
My NNID is the same as my nick here, Mejilan.
I recently revamped my threadmarked post with all of my pawn's relevant details (for now, as I get closer to max level, I'll be more worried about fixing inclinations and updating my post with them).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
You can just stock up on grass and use it anytime, even while taking damage or climbing monsters. This goes for restoring stamina too.
Sorcerers don't heal- you'll need a mage for that.
The best way to heal is to buy a load of empty flasks, and fill them up with healing spring water. For the time being though, either rent a Mage pawn, or use greenwarish.
Sorcerers do not learn any healing spells. You can change her back to mage for free though, with nothing lost.

Gran Soren is really the only place to buy weapons, the weapons shop gets new stuff in as you advance the main story. Otherwise it's down to what you loot. Apparently Bitterblack Isle weapons are far and away better than anything you'll find anywhere else though.

In the rift you can search by pawns you've used before unless I'm mistaken. You can also favorite pawns, and find them later on your favorites list.
Oh dear 😧, is there a way to shortcut using healing items? Because i go to the menu, choose curatives then herbs, also the water is just the one you find on jars?

And, its better to keep sorcerer or change back to mage? Can the magic knight learn cure?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017

Pawns you hire from the rift world (whether they're from friends, from randoms, or if you're offline, RNG-generated) and 100% static and don't level up. In the case of REAL (not offline) pawns, the copies uploaded to the rift world get updated anytime the players that own those pawns rest at an inn or an encampment that is equipped with inn-like services. In the case of pawns created by your friends, so long as they don't stop playing the game, and periodically rest at an ill, you'll be able to poll the rift world for the most recent copy of their pawn.

Yup, Mages are more support, but get some decent offensive spells too. Sorcerers are almost purely offensive in nature. Sorcs get way better magickal stat gains per level than Mages, though. So even if you plan on running your Pawn as a Mage primarily, you'd do well to invest a whole bunch of levels as a Sorcerer (and unlock all of it's Augments, if nothing else). In the meantime and as others have suggested, hire a Mage pawn from the rift world.

Vendors tend to update their wares as you further the campaign's critical path, and knock out vendor-related side quests. That said, there are places you can go out in the world to find decent gear. But keep in mind that while chests may have fixed loot tables, those tables include both common and rare drops. IIRC, Heavenspeak Fort and Soulflayer Canyon are two pretty good sources of early to mid-game loot.

Oh dear 😧, is there a way to shortcut using healing items? Because i go to the menu, choose curatives then herbs, also the water is just the one you find on jars?

And, its better to keep sorcerer or change back to mage? Can the magic knight learn cure?

The only REAL magickal healer is the Mage vocation. Outside of that, consumables are your best bet. And of those, vials full of magickal spring water are pretty OP. Aside from your Arisen and created Pawn, you have two more spots for hired Pawns. Make sure one of them is a decent Mage, if you've switched yours out for a Sorcerer (which is a good idea for the boost in magickal stats a Sorc gets every level up over a Mage). Pretty sure you can map most consumables to a d-pad shortcut slot.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Healing spring water is unique. There are little hotsprings that will heal you, and you can fill flasks with it.
I believe the other current gen versions had item hotkeys, but I'm not sure how they work exactly. It's shoulder buttons and dpad thogh I think.
As for Mystic Knights, they do get a healing ability, which, while really good, is a bit odd, as it's a heal on a parry.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I think you can set most items to a shortcut in the item menu. The shortcut will then be R+L+ the d-pad direction you set. As for the healing water, it specifically comes from the healing spring, which is a location you may not have found yet. You'll want to bring some empty flasks to the spring when you eventually go, so you can fill it up with healing water.

As for the pawn's vocation, it depends on what you need. If you really need that healing then yeah it's probably a good idea to get her back to mage or just hire a different mage pawn in addition to yours. Sorcerers are great at dishing out damage though, and they have better weapon enchantment skills.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
Are the DLC items very op? Wondering if I should not equip them. I sold the monocle though, based on some research, for a nice chunk of change

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Friend Code: SW-7172-6866-0316

All these systems are kind of overwhelming me tbh. Like with the Pawns, I made my main Pawn a mage (my character is a Strider) but I'm not sure whether that's the right choice or not. Then there's all the money, skills, etc. It doesn't feel like I've got a good handle on anything, really.

Hey Plum. I've tried adding you with this FC, but it says you can't be found. Can you double check it? If it does need a correction, you'd best edit your threadmarked post so that others get linked to the right FC. Cheers.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Hey Plum. I've tried adding you with this FC, but it says you can't be found. Can you double check it? If it does need a correction, you'd best edit your threadmarked post so that others get linked to the right FC. Cheers.

Yeah, that's wrong; it's 6162 at the start instead of 7171. My bad. I've edited it with the correction.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I've accepted all friend requests and have taken out several low to high level pawns onto a number of quests.

But for the love of me I can't figure out who's who from the ERA handle name to the pawn/arisen name. I was only able to identify Aeana here since that was the same name used on her Arisen.

So with that said, I think everyone should update their Friend Code posts and add their Arisen/Pawn names. (Mine: Wilhelm/Elvira)

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
For the music bug, look for an enemy that's clipped through a wall or hill. You may be able to spot and kill it, which will properly end the encounter.
Doubt that's it most of the time. Pawns usually sheathe their weapons indicating there is no immediate danger. And I usually check to see if there's no one around, plus I can save ...

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
What do people consider the most fun class to play? Magical Archer is certainly effective but it feels kinda boring to me.
All classes are cool depending on your play style. I like mages a lot but you need to deal with the looooong casting times.

But a decent Sorcerer literally raining hell feels great (and hurts a lot).

I'm not a fan of other ranged classes if I recall.

Mystic knight was cool IIRC but that was because it was powerful and versatile (IIRC).

Not a big fan of the lack of skills and just general slowness of the warrior, even if hitting hard can be pretty satisfying.

Fighters are cool too as they're pretty quick and have good defense with the shield but don't hit super hard (they're more of a "tank" template of the holy trinity).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What do people consider the most fun class to play? Magical Archer is certainly effective but it feels kinda boring to me.

I've found Ranger to be a lot of fun lately actually. You more or less wind up spamming tenfold arrow but the movement and strategy is a bit more involved than Magick Archer using ricochets.

I remember reading a lot of people recommending Assassin. It's very versatile and not too OP so that it gets boring.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I've accepted all friend requests and have taken out several low to high level pawns onto a number of quests.

But for the love of me I can't figure out who's who from the ERA handle name to the pawn/arisen name. I was only able to identify Aeana here since that was the same name used on her Arisen.

So with that said, I think everyone should update their Friend Code posts and add their Arisen/Pawn names. (Mine: Wilhelm/Elvira)

Done! (karmitt/cormitt)

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys what's the best way to get some good weapons in this game. I'm a level 29 magick archer and i'm tired of walking around with the same stuff. I went to the Tomb of the unknown Traveler and i got a steel greatsword lol, i'm thinking about save scumming the tomb to see if i can get something good but i'll have to wait until the item respawns.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you! I juuuuuust finished recreating my PS4 Arisen and Pawn. I sent you a friend request a few hours ago, so I imagine you've already accepted it. I've since updated my threadmarked post with all of my Arisen/Pawn details. I think I'll go in and toss a few more details in and organize things a bit for legibility, now that you mention it.

Era: Mejilan
NNID: Mejilan
Pawn: Ahamet