• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Okay now my pawn is broken. It just won't attack at all and behaves as if there's no battle going on.

Fun times.

If your pawn went Guardian (aka milling around you and not really doing anything useful), you can use RC to buy some inclination altering items at the encampment. If you've been using dpad commands, it will often make your pawn's behaviour change in not-so-desirable ways. They learn from your own actions and from the other pawns you hire, too.

Pawns in the rift often have Guardian as an inclination, even though it's kind of the worst. Probably mostly due to dpad commands.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
You can/should absolutely roll with a full party for the most part. The bonus EXP you get for not having pawns (I think it's 25% more exp per pawn you're short) isn't worth having a set of ass kickers with you provided they are properly leveled, geared and trained. But with the current server state if you can't get up to date pawns and you're 10 or 15 levels higher than the ones you got they probably aren't helping that much in combat.

Good to hear! I usually have one Pawn hovering around my level, and then an absolute unit thanks to Game Informer's Joe Juba (level 52 when I played earlier today). I don't have much time to play, so the few friends I have that play are all well above me so my Pawn doesn't see much action. I'd add folks from here but I'm sure it'd be the same story.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The game very intentionally has extremely dark nights and underground areas. I love that about the game. You should always carry around a lantern (equip it to your belt) and some vials of oils to refill it with. Give a lantern to your pawn as well. Hell, I always give out lanterns to any pawn I hire (you'll get them back if you dismiss them or if they die). I also tend to give my pawn and hired pawns mattocks so they can harvest ore for me. Again, hired pawns won't keep anything you loan them. If they die or you dismiss them, anything you gave them, or anything they collected on your behalf gets dumped into your storage. The only except is if you dismiss a hired pawn with a gift. They'll take that gift to their owners. (Once the servers are back up and running properly).
Yes I always equip the lantern but even then the sun hitting the screen makes it hard to see. Didn't know about pawns being able to use lanterns though! Thank you for the tip. :)

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Good to hear! I usually have one Pawn hovering around my level, and then an absolute unit thanks to Game Informer's Joe Juba (level 52 when I played earlier today). I don't have much time to play, so the few friends I have that play are all well above me so my Pawn doesn't see much action. I'd add folks from here but I'm sure it'd be the same story.
Having pawns above you also reduces your xp by the way. I believe it's 1% per level above you. At a certain point, you will notice that you are in a comfortable spot and doing 85% of the damage and or the actual killing. At that point, going down to 2 pawns for that 25% bonus xp is worth it.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Check if its inclination(s) changed
Nope, same as before. Something like Guardian/Gatherer. Usually works fine. Pawn tends to take aggro while picking up shit around. Not sure what's going on. Current party seemed to run fine so far, and now against a big foe it seems my pawn woke up, so who the eff knows.

Pawns are so weird. Sometimes they play better than your average PUG. And sometimes they just stare endlessly at the emptiness of their existence.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
Having pawns above you also reduces your xp by the way. I believe it's 1% per level above you. At a certain point, you will notice that you are in a comfortable spot and doing 85% of the damage and or the actual killing. At that point, going down to 2 pawns for that 25% bonus xp is worth it.

Oh lord, even more to consider! I understand why I'd get less exp, but I'm disappointed that I either didn't remember that fact about higher level pawns, or it wasn't expressed. But I know now! I'll try to stick with Pawns around my own level then.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
There's no need for anyone to answer this in specific terms, but I really hope there's some twist regarding the Pawns. I hate the language used to describe them, they are presented more as empty shells than buddies (the latter being what I see them as). The inn keeper at Gran Soren went on and on about how people treat pawns like dirt, that they lack souls, and then is like "But I've got not problem. My best friend is a pawn!". Just bums me out.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, same as before. Something like Guardian/Gatherer. Usually works fine. Pawn tends to take aggro while picking up shit around. Not sure what's going on. Current party seemed to run fine so far, and now against a big foe it seems my pawn woke up, so who the eff knows.

Pawns are so weird. Sometimes they play better than your average PUG. And sometimes they just stare at the emptiness of their existence.

It's fustrating. If I could get my damn pawn to spam high comestion like I did as a mage we would unstoppable just the 2 of us. Instead they waste so much damn time on inappropriate spells or just running around

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Having under/over-leveled hired pawns with you can boost or lower your total XP gains by up to 25%, IIRC. I don't remember if it's 25% per hired pawn, or if the boost/penalty caps at 25%.

Yes I always equip the lantern but even then the sun hitting the screen makes it hard to see. Didn't know about pawns being able to use lanterns though! Thank you for the tip. :)

Four characters with lanterns definitely win out over just one. And they'll auto use oil vials when their lanterns get low, or pickaxes when near mining spots. Heck, if they have empty vials, they'll even top 'em off with oil if they spot oil jars. Handy!

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying this game way more than expected. I read that bosses were the best part of the game, but I've yet to fight any other bosses other than the intro bosses up to the hydra in cassardis (?) Started doing quests in Gran Soren, so hopefully I'll encounter some more big mobs soon.

Question - I keep seeing items that say they're useful for crafting weapons, but I haven't run into any that allows me to do so (NPCs, etc). I've seen combining items in my vault/stash thingo, but that's it. Is this something I should have seen by now?

I've tossed all of those items into the vault as they're starting to take up space, but I'd love to get into crafting soon.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
is builds really that important, i dont want to wait till 100 to play my class

Gear is at least 80% of your build, so min-maxing stats is a waste of time unless you absolutely love that aspect of games.
You'll be able to clear every single bit of content, including post-game stuff, super-bosses, and the toughest action the BBI has to throw at you with even the most sub-optimal stats for any given class. Even on Hard Mode.

I highly recommend playing whatever you fancy. Even if you vary it up considerably and wind up with a jack-of-all-trades build, you'll still find yourself in position to easily finish the game and anything else it can throw at you. I honestly wouldn't worry about stats at all, if that's something that concerns you. And certainly not for a first run with the game. You can put all 200 levels into a fighter, switch to Sorcerer, put on end-game Sorcerer gear, and wreck shop. And you've got two other character slots other than your pawn available to pad out any deficiencies.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Gear is at least 80% of your build, so min-maxing stats is a waste of time unless you absolutely love that aspect of games.
You'll be able to clear every single bit of content, including post-game stuff, super-bosses, and the toughest action the BBI has to throw at you with even the most sub-optimal stats for any given class. Even on Hard Mode.

I highly recommend playing whatever you fancy. Even if you vary it up considerably and wind up with a jack-of-all-trades build, you'll still find yourself in position to easily finish the game and anything else it can throw at you. I honestly wouldn't worry about stats at all, if that's something that concerns you. And certainly not for a first run with the game. You can put all 200 levels into a fighter, switch to Sorcerer, put on end-game Sorcerer gear, and wreck shop. And you've got two other character slots other than your pawn available to pad out any deficiencies.
ah sweet thanks, i was kinda stressing out. i will just have fun and play it the way i want :)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying this game way more than expected. I read that bosses were the best part of the game, but I've yet to fight any other bosses other than the intro bosses up to the hydra in cassardis (?) Started doing quests in Gran Soren, so hopefully I'll encounter some more big mobs soon.

Question - I keep seeing items that say they're useful for crafting weapons, but I haven't run into any that allows me to do so (NPCs, etc). I've seen combining items in my vault/stash thingo, but that's it. Is this something I should have seen by now?

I've tossed all of those items into the vault as they're starting to take up space, but I'd love to get into crafting soon.

Crafting is just combining, yeah. Some items that say they're used for crafting weapons and armor are used in the "enhance" option presented by a few different merchants.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Guys, just an FYI: if your pawn is not contributing much it is because of their inclinations. You do not want Guardian or Nexus as a primary. Guardian is a negative that occurs from you calling your pawn to follow you too often, or you needing to be frequently revived in battle / running out of stamina.
Guardian = will not attack enemies unless YOU get hit first. They otherwise stay beside you doing nothing.
Nexus is kinda the equivalent but for other pawns instead.
You can't craft weapons.
What it means is that you can enhance weapons with this material.

The crafting is actually a little deeper than expected, but it's all for potions and stuff though. The game is never hard enough or balanced in the way that you ever need to really dig into the alchemy side of things unfortunately.
I had never heard of the various coloured concoctions until I actually bothered with crafting on a 4th playthrough, nor had I ever seen a "Matured Greenwarish" before. It was mindblowing.

Edit: oh yeah and bosses are much more of a thing late game. Some of the enounters get pretty wild.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
Guys, just an FYI: if your pawn is not contributing much it is because of their inclinations. You do not want Guardian or Nexus as a primary. Guardian is a negative that occurs from you calling your pawn to follow you too often, or you needing to be frequently revived in battle / running out of stamina.
Guardian = will not attack enemies unless YOU get hit first. They otherwise stay beside you doing nothing.
Nexus is kinda the equivalent but for other pawns instead.

You can't craft weapons.

The crafting is actually a little deeper than expected, but it's all for potions and stuff though. The game is never hard enough or balanced in the way that you ever need to really dig into the alchemy side of things unfortunately.
I had never heard of the various coloured concoctions until I actually bothered with crafting on a 4th playthrough, nor had I ever seen a "Matured Greenwarish" before. It was mindblowing.
So what would you say is the best inclination for a pure offense pawn?

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Scather
Challenger
Mitigator

I prefer scather challenger so the pawns focus on the more dangerous mobs

Figured it was guardian
Was always the source of pawn frustrations

Pawns are so weird. Sometimes they play better than your average PUG. And sometimes they just stare endlessly at the emptiness of their existence.
That may have something to do with the pawns' knowledge too
They are more efficient if they have experience with the monsters, quests and locales

Last edited:

Iceman2343

Oct 27, 2017
I am having a fun time with this game again, being the third time I have bought it. If you want to add me for my pawn when I eventually level it up, my friend code is: 6254-6564-7122.

EDIT:

My Pawn's name is Pyra

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Depends on what skills/class you have and how you want them to deal with enemies I guess.

I've always liked putting Mitigator as a primary by default, as that means they will target the lower level enemies first. That just suits my play style more. That or Challenger, which is when they target ranged enemies.
Similarly Scather is the opposite, with the pawn focused on the strongest enemy first. For simplicity sake you can always set that first.

I've heard using Utilitarian as a secondary will make pawns focus more on advanced methods of attack, such as specific weaknesses and/or enhancements for weapons, but I can't 100% vouch for it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Crafting is just combining, yeah. Some items that say they're used for crafting weapons and armor are used in the "enhance" option presented by a few different merchants.

Edit: oh yeah and bosses are much more of a thing late game. Some of the enounters get pretty wild.

Thanks both of you! That clears that up - I'd seen and used enhancements.

One more question, there's some really ornate (albeit a bit goofy) gear in the vault in Gran Soren. It seems to take up every item slot but rings, and is kinda strong - at least I think it is. Should I be avoiding these sets? At what point do they become outdated?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
One more question, there's some really ornate (albeit a bit goofy) gear in the vault in Gran Soren. It seems to take up every item slot but rings, and is kinda strong - at least I think it is. Should I be avoiding these sets? At what point do they become outdated?
Ugh, you mean like the princess dress?
You can use them if you want, I don't know why they made the dress in particular so overpowered.

While the basic stats are good, there's also no way to make a specific build with them due to being a single outfit (eg: I had outfits arranged for immunity to Petrification, which saved my life many times). You can only add rings.
Also as a rule I don't hire pawns in the dress :)

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
The game purposely keeps big boss fights sparse and tied to the main quest line. If you want to be bombarded with big nasty shit to fight, you're going to love BBI. Honestly BBI is probably my favorite part of the game.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Once you unlock some of the later skills and get some levels this game really gets going. Just stormed the Shadow Fort and that was awesome lol

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, you mean like the princess dress?
You can use them if you want, I don't know why they made the dress in particular so overpowered.

While the basic stats are good, there's also no way to make a specific build with them due to being a single outfit (eg: I had outfits arranged for immunity to Petrification, which saved my life many times). You can only add rings.
Also as a rule I don't hire pawns in the dress :)

Thanks. Ill switch to normal gear even if it's a loss. It's taking the fun away of exploring upgrade choices atm. Not to mention it's gaudy af

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
The set outfits are fine for the early hours, but you'll eventually find that individual mid-game pieces will outperform the set outfits. Especially once you start Dragonforging shit. But yes, if you opt to go for set outfits, you'll miss out on being able to customize your loadouts with individual pieces of gear with specific enchantments.

ah sweet thanks, i was kinda stressing out. i will just have fun and play it the way i want :)

Yup. When I got the platinum on PS3, it was a jack-of-all-trades build. I had little idea that the stats you gained on level ups were tied to your vocation, and cared less. I had no issues securing the platinum.

For my PS4 plat, I min-maxed an Assassin with a min-maxed Mage/Sorc that I mostly wound up using as a healing and buffing Mage. I was tearing shit up left and right, but not DRAMATICALLY more than my PS3 toons. Gear is way, way more important than pure stats in this game. Like I said, at least 80% of a build.

Jan 9, 2018
This game is so good, I just finished the main history today and starting the postgame, wow that was unexpected...

Never heard of the game before, but the passion Patrick and Austin at Waypoint talked about the game sold me on it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so good, I just finished the main history today and starting the postgame, wow that was unexpected...

Never heard of the game before, but the passion Patrick and Austin at Waypoint talked about the game sold me on it.

Somebody on GB Beast Cast was gushing about it as well. Hopefully the game really sees new life on Switch

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I think I might have screwed up my ability to fight Griffins in my game... Apparently after you get the 4 wyrm hunt quests, when you finish one you're supposed to get the scripted scene outside Gran Soren where the cart gets attacked by a Griffin and that eventually leads you to fighting it and then going to Blue Moon Tower to finally kill it, but I did all 4 Wyrm hunt quests at the same time and handed them all in together and never got that initial scene. Now I'm in the 2nd part of the main story after you meet the duke and I've never seen a griffin... I know this game has a lot of missable quests, but I had no clue that entire griffin questline could be missed. Anybody ever have this happen? That'd be really weird if I was just unable to do the 2nd half of BMT and fight the griffin in there.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Really enjoying this game now that I understand the basics. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Random question. Does food rot in your possession? I just noticed I had some rotten meat and apples in my inventory and I was wondering if these items rot if you hold on to them too long. Or maybe I just picked up rotten food.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think I might have screwed up my ability to fight Griffins in my game... Apparently after you get the 4 wyrm hunt quests, when you finish one you're supposed to get the scripted scene outside Gran Soren where the cart gets attacked by a Griffin and that eventually leads you to fighting it and then going to Blue Moon Tower to finally kill it, but I did all 4 Wyrm hunt quests at the same time and handed them all in together and never got that initial scene. Now I'm in the 2nd part of the main story after you meet the duke and I've never seen a griffin... I know this game has a lot of missable quests, but I had no clue that entire griffin questline could be missed. Anybody ever have this happen? That'd be really weird if I was just unable to do the 2nd half of BMT and fight the griffin in there.
Nope. Can't miss the Griffin.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I fought the griffin but then it flew away and I never got a quest to go track it down. This game is odd with how they handle some of these quests

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I fought the griffin but then it flew away and I never got a quest to go track it down. This game is odd with how they handle some of these quests
There's a missable scripted sequence outside Gran Soren, an initial meetup with the Griffin. You might not see it if you rely heavily on fast travel (as the game was not initially designed around unlimited fast travel).
The Griffin quest is one of the main quests, however, and cannot be missed to my knowledge.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Its not missable. Its a main quest so you have to do it in order to beat the game.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, thanks guys. I must just be mistaken and haven't gotten there yet. Haven't played in years.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Crap, seems the servers broke on my end too :(

We're aware of the server connectivity issue and have alerted the dev team over the weekend. We'll let you know as soon as the fix is confirmed. Sorry for the inconvenience.
(I want my Rift crystals too! Sorc pawn currently at around Level 38)

JakeNoseIt Friend Code

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Added a bunch of you thanks to the threadmarks. Would love more friends for pawn sharing. I modeled my pawn after the beautiful Gritty!

My friend code is: SW-8525-1640-2035

Gritty-Greatest-Moments-2018.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the dress is super annoying. It's my current outfit, and it's hard to determine whether a new config of armour (potentially upgraded in part) will outperform it.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We're aware of the server connectivity issue and have alerted the dev team over the weekend. We'll let you know as soon as the fix is confirmed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Servers aside (thanks for the update!), I could use this pawn and my friend code is just a few posts up, wink wink

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if you can comment on this but do you know if the game will ever be updated to support gyro aiming?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Well, thanks for being the first person of Capcom to even acknowledge the issue, at least.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Servers aside (thanks for the update!), I could use this pawn and my friend code is just a few posts up, wink wink

Ha, I'll be sure check out your pawn and take him/her out on some quests. I've been renting pawns exclusively to those I befriended instead of complete rando's.

I don't know if you can comment on this but do you know if the game will ever be updated to support gyro aiming?

Port projects are usually one and done since they're mostly outsourced (as is the case with DDDA), so any feature considerations are planned out before the dev contract is signed. With that in mind, I am not optimistic on adding gyro support post launch. Sorry...

Well, thanks for being the first person of Capcom to even acknowledge the issue, at least.

I also noticed while playing the game this past weekend. Hopefully the fix will be quick. The timing is terrible though since many folks in Japan are out this week due to Golden Week holiday...one of the biggest, if not *the* biggest holiday break in Japan.

Edit: Aeana I recognize that name. Your warrior pawn is awesome! He's such a brute. He's been tanking on the battlefront and mule-packing tons of loot for me.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Random question. Does food rot in your possession? I just noticed I had some rotten meat and apples in my inventory and I was wondering if these items rot if you hold on to them too long. Or maybe I just picked up rotten food.

Yes, food in your inventory will ripen and spoil. Aged goodies might actually be better than their vanilla state, but they will eventually go bad.
I believe anything you drop into storage will basically freeze in whatever state it's in.
And if you want to actually carry around goodies that spoil on your person without them spoiling, you can put them into these airtight bottle things.
I forget what they're actually called, but most vendors sell a few, and more can be found scattered around the beaches of Cassardis, the starting village.
They'll respawn after a few in-game days, too.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Late game duchess sidequest spoilers

It still really bothers me how you can't save her without there being a love scene. There's just no choice in that whatsoever.