• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I have two quick questions...

1) Is there an option to toggle headgear visibility?

2) How do I access the Strider's dagger skills in combat? I can find the bow skills, just not the ones for my daggers.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I've been somewhat interested in jumping into a "big" fantasy type game again. This thread certainly has my interest piqued, as I skipped Dragon's Dogma back in the day.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there no fast travel in this game? I went to the witch's wood to save that girl but there were really tough bandits and Wolves on the way there and now I'm stuck and under leveled and I can't get home. Help.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
A limited form of fast travel eventually opens up. I think the game gives you two or so fixed port crystals and a bunch of portables that you can drop around the world. Those portables can be picked up and redistributed. I forget the exact number of port crystals you get, but they cap at some point in NG+. You can easily make do with just the ones you get from a first run, however. You MAY need to visit Gran Soren (the capital city) before fast travel opens up. I honestly don't recall. And most of the portable port crystals need to be found before they can be deployed. You use consumable called a Ferrystone to travel to any fixed or placed port crystals. In Dark Arisen, an Eternal Ferrystone was added basically granting you unlimited teleports.

The system was way worse in vanilla. It was improved in Dark Arisen, which is, of course, the version you're playing now, assuming you're on PC, Switch, PS4, or XBO.

Edit - If you got to wherever you are, surely you can get back. You can run from fights, for the most part. Or figure out ways around 'em.

Edit 2 - Just looked it up. Three permanent port crystals. Four portables may be found and deployed. Four more can be found in NG+. An infinite number can be purchased in NG+. Up to 10 may be deployed in a game world at once. Portables placed in your first run will remain where you placed them once you transition to NG+.

Last edited:

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Mine is 7093-1910-7136. Won't get the game until next week most likely. Here's an infographic.
LIp0KqV.jpg
This is not taking into effects of buffs stacking though
With attunement(10%) + acuity(20%) + bloodlust(20%) + autonomy(20%) + 4 demon's periapt (80%)
Their difference is more substantial

It's not necessary
But it's soooo easy to get to lv200 on sorcerer
I don't see why you wouldn't

Is there no fast travel in this game? I went to the witch's wood to save that girl but there were really tough bandits and Wolves on the way there and now I'm stuck and under leveled and I can't get home. Help.
You get 5 portcrystals that u can place anywhere as teleport point

Run away if you are too weak
You can complete the quest by running from everything

Last edited:

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Just cracked and am downloading now. Looking forward to the best part of the pawn - collecting cool pawns

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, for my PS3 run, I played whatever, whenever and paid no attention to stats or anything. Wound up maxing out everything except for level (I think I got the platinum at around level 14x and stopped playing). Both my main character and my pawn were jacks-of-all-trades.

On PS4, I specifically min-maxed an Assassin build for myself, and a healing Mage/Sorc for my pawn, and took both to level 200. Got the plat there too, of course. Outside of the opening few hours, Hard Mode BBI is the only part of the game that comes close to being challenging, but min-maxing is absolutely not required to clear any of the game's content.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
This is not taking into effects of buffs stacking though
With attunement(10%) + acuity(20%) + bloodlust(20%) + autonomy(20%) + 4 demon's periapt (80%)
Their difference is more substantial

It's not necessary
But it's soooo easy to get to lv200 on sorcerer
I don't see why you wouldn't

You get 5 portcrystals that u can place anywhere as teleport point

Run away if you are too weak
You can complete the quest by running from everything

Sorcerers have really shitty Stamina growth and you need Stamina for the big swingin'-dick spells. Also after a certain threshold (around 600 for both Magic and Attack I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong), you start to get diminishing returns and at that point, you're already OP so anything else just makes you OPx2. Min-maxing will absolutely get you more damage but I don't think it's substantial enough to justify it.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Sorcerers have really shitty Stamina growth and you need Stamina for the big swingin'-dick spells. Also after a certain threshold (around 600 for both Magic and Attack I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong), you start to get diminishing returns and at that point, you're already OP so anything else just makes you OPx2. Min-maxing will absolutely get you more damage but I don't think it's substantial enough to justify it.
Stamina and health are not really problems for sorcerer (imo) when it's always moving and using focused bolts

Specifically for sorcerer
It's such an low effort thing to commit to
I do feel like it's worth it
Not necessary, but what's the harm?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
How are you folks finding the frame-rate?

My bro is telling me it hitches up commonly, but it could be because he's used to 60 FPS Sekiro on PC

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Downloading now.
Dragon's Dogma was my second ever plat on PS3, and I never played the Dark Arisen content, so I'm looking forward to coming back to this!
The fact that the game basically has what I liken to "true night" is one of my favourite things that I wish more games did.

Kapryov Friend Code

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
How are you folks finding the frame-rate?

My bro is telling me it hitches up commonly, but it could be because he's used to 60 FPS Sekiro on PC
It's not a locked 30, there are occasional drops, but infrequent and not enough to hinder enjoyment. (I've only tried undocked)

I've finally made a quick pawn, she's a fighter (challenger) for now but I'll work her through all the classes eventually.
My friend code: SW-5168-4674-1214

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm planning on switching to magic Archer near the endgame, so figured I would start with leveling fighter then magic knight for some HP and strength stat growth. I'm nearing 25 now and thinking about going to Archer for 10 levels then whatever the magic rogue is called to at least build up some Archer skills.

Is that a good path? Strength effects bows, and I'll have some magic passives to play with by then. Can anyone break down what provisions focus on level up stat wise for me?

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I'll probably compile all the friend codes into a single post tomorrow so we can find them in one place

Perhaps you can create a shared Google docs spreadsheet where anyone can write in their friend code, ERA handle name, current pawn level, vocation, inclination, etc. That way you won't have to constantly scrape info off the thread and update the list.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I failed the Chasing Shadows quest in Gran Soren, so I guess that questline is just DONE for me now. Not gonna worry about it, I'll just let that be a lesson and part of the story of my first playthrough

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I failed the Chasing Shadows quest in Gran Soren, so I guess that questline is just DONE for me now. Not gonna worry about it, I'll just let that be a lesson and part of the story of my first playthrough
I don't know if you've saved or not, but the game has two kinds of saves: checkpoint and manual. Checkpoint saves are typically done when you rest at an inn. If you haven't done so, you might be able to reload.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you've saved or not, but the game has two kinds of saves: checkpoint and manual. Checkpoint saves are typically done when you rest at an inn. If you haven't done so, you might be able to reload.
I went to an inn right after and THEN googled and found out that failing it kills the whole questline. Sounds like I'm only missing out on like 2-3 quests and a new shop though, so I guess I'll not worry too much about it and pick it up on NG+ if I can

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a locked 30, there are occasional drops, but infrequent and not enough to hinder enjoyment. (I've only tried undocked)

I've finally made a quick pawn, she's a fighter (challenger) for now but I'll work her through all the classes eventually.
My friend code: SW-5168-4674-1214
Did you play the ps3 version to compare? That's the only version I played, and it could really chug. If it's a big improvement over that I'd love to pick this up.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
This is my first time playing the game, how often should I be switching classes? I've been playing strider and am currently lvl 15, should try something else? Classes/states/character stuff definitely feels a bit overwhelming.

Liking it so far, although the difficulty can be a little weird at times. Feel like I take out some groups with absolutely no problem, then there will be something 3 minutes later that is really difficult. Combat feels really satisfying so far.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Did you play the ps3 version to compare? That's the only version I played, and it could really chug. If it's a big improvement over that I'd love to pick this up.

I played the 360 version, which was better than the ps3 version, and I could immediately feel the difference. Seriously, it was perpetually 20-25 before except in caves, and it's like 97% 30fps here. The pop in is somewhat annoying, particularly the shadows on grass, but it's sometging I've started not really thinking about 6+ hours in luckily.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch version is a lot more like the PS4/XBO version in looks and performance than the last gen PS360 versions.
And fairly content-complete, as well. It's missing the Berserk stuff, but the licensing on that deal expired years ago, and all "current" versions of the game (PS4, XBO, Switch, PC) lack those outfits.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm planning on switching to magic Archer near the endgame, so figured I would start with leveling fighter then magic knight for some HP and strength stat growth. I'm nearing 25 now and thinking about going to Archer for 10 levels then whatever the magic rogue is called to at least build up some Archer skills.

Is that a good path? Strength effects bows, and I'll have some magic passives to play with by then. Can anyone break down what provisions focus on level up stat wise for me?

MA is a decent mix of Magic (Magic Bows) and Strength (the Backfire/Immolation/Flmaeshroud skill is amazing and scales off of Attack). Assassins get the best Attack growth and Sorcerers get the best Magic growth.

There's this stat planner here if you want to have a look https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/ Maybe it can go under an FAQ section,

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've played the 360 version, PS3 version, and also put significant hours into the PC and PS4 versions.
Switch is much MUCH better than PS3 and 360, slightly less stable than PS4.
Obviously doesn't compare to the PC, but nobody expected that.

I did get a bit of a dodgy framerate just now while I was in a house for some reason, thought brief, I guess it was tightly packed with all the NPCs there. Makes me a little worried about how it will handle late game encounters in the Everfall though.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
I put about 10 hours into PS4 version and just could not get into it. I felt like the systems were overly clunky, among other things. With that said, why the heck am I itching to play this again on the switch. Anyone have a rekindling of love for the game?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
how does the game play in handheld mode? I'm truly on the fence.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
When you are looking at an item in the shop, what does the number in parenthesis mean?

Example:

The green herb
Amount: 7 (3)

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I played the 360 version, which was better than the ps3 version, and I could immediately feel the difference. Seriously, it was perpetually 20-25 before except in caves, and it's like 97% 30fps here. The pop in is somewhat annoying, particularly the shadows on grass, but it's sometging I've started not really thinking about 6+ hours in luckily.
I've played the 360 version, PS3 version, and also put significant hours into the PC and PS4 versions.
Switch is much MUCH better than PS3 and 360, slightly less stable than PS4.
Obviously doesn't compare to the PC, but nobody expected that.

I did get a bit of a dodgy framerate just now while I was in a house for some reason, thought brief, I guess it was tightly packed with all the NPCs there. Makes me a little worried about how it will handle late game encounters in the Everfall though.
Awesome thanks!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
When will we get those portcrystals? i seem to have forgotten where those were...
I'll probably be too slow but you find your first one in an early mission in Gran Soren when you get to the Pawn Guild.
They appear regularly from there in main missions, I think the next one is when you go to the hill figure drawing.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the first portcrystal, which is sitting in the basin that you check at the bottom of the Everfall for the story quest is probably easily missed by most people, because they don't think to jump inside and grab it before they examine the thing.

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Question for people that have a physical copy. Does this game require/have a patch or are you good to go when you pop in the cartridge?

Thinking of importing the American version.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Question for people that have a physical copy. Does this game require/have a patch or are you good to go when you pop in the cartridge?

Thinking of importing the American version.

There's a patch, but it's a typical tiny day 1 update, not missing data so I can't imagine it's required for anything accept accessing the pawn servers. If you don't update, assume youll be stuck in offline mode

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the first portcrystal, which is sitting in the basin that you check at the bottom of the Everfall for the story quest is probably easily missed by most people, because they don't think to jump inside and grab it before they examine the thing.
welp, guess I gotta go back down there

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Just bought the Switch version yesterday, that is now the 5th time that I bought this awesome game :D
Still feels great to play and runs and looks surprisingly well in handheld mode.
Oh, and it still has the best combat in a open world arpg!

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the basic elevator pitch for this would be something like Skyrim x Monster Hunter x Dark Souls
It would be more accurate to say 'Skyrim x Monster Hunter x Berserk', but Dark Souls is fine too since it's similar in the spirit with DD (both are the directors own take on Berserk).