• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk Edgerunners looks like it'll be 2D going by the concept art shown.
They've also greenlit a second season of B: The Beginning from Production IG. They put out a lot of 3D anime just because those studios are smaller, faster and less busy, but still have 2D stuff from the more established entities occasionally.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Nope, CG is a no go for me in just about any anime. It completely pulls me out of it regardless of how high quality it might be.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
0e3.png

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, it's a shame we can't get more female driven fantasy stories. On the off chance you haven't seen it, the writer/director of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex did Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit directly afterwards, and it was great:
Thanks for the rec, though I've been aware of Moribito since it first aired in Japan. A fan of Kenji Kamiyama's work, I am not.
I really really hope Dragon's Dogma 2 didn't die for this...
The budget for this, at most, would be a fraction of the advertising budget for a Dragon's Dogma 2.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be watching because I must support all things Dragon's Dogma. However, the premise certainly seems trite. I would prefer a sequel but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
aaand its 3d which means I wont be watching this. sucks, was hoping for the Castlevania treatment.

jgwhiteus

Oct 30, 2017
The character animations and backgrounds look fine/good to me but the monster CGI really stands out, and not in a good way... the textures look flat and the lighting is off, like early 2000's CGI. It almost looks like they just took the monster 3D models straight from the PS3/360 versions of the game (the dragon animations in the village almost seem identical to the game's opening) then animated around them.

I'm also not particularly invested in the tacked-on premise of "man seeks vengeance for dead wife/child" but I must have spent hundreds of hours on the game, so I'll probably at least give the first few episodes a try and hope for the best.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Do we know the talent behind this? Should we expect it to be any good?

The CG looks better than the standard, but that isn't saying much.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the biggest fan of CG anime but it looks visually better than Beserk at least.

Still hyped to watch. Dragon's Dogma is one of the few games in my life where I have doubled dipped (360 and Switch).

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
The opening credits design is so Game of Thrones it's kind of funny. The music is unimpeachable, though. Not as memorable as "Into Free", of course, but still solid.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on episode 5 and this show is dark as hell.

Also haven't heard a single "goblins, arisen" or "wolves hunt in packs" so I'm disappointed now.

Also there's sex and nudity in this which I didn't expect at all

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
My expectations have been pretty low this whole time. The dead wife setup is an atrocious cliche, the monster animations look terrible, and the whole seven deadly sins angle in the episode titles has fuck all to do with DD. Still gonna watch that shit, though, just because I need a DD2 in my life.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched an episode, surprised to find out the dragon is david lodge reprising the role, man thats such a different range than what I'm used to hearing.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is to dragon's dogma as Godzilla 98 was to godzilla.....
Some neat concepts but its not really dragon's dogma....

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me its really that bad huh? :/
About the only lore they took from DD is the Dragon taking a heart and creating an Arisen, and the Arisen getting a pawn. But they even get elements of this wrong. A few monsters from the game make it is, and during some battles stuff from the games is copied.

Everything else is absent or very very wrong. It has very unnecessary tit shots (and I'm OK with tit shots usually) and the characters have pretty much no growth or anything.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
I worked on a Netflix cartoon with a CG dragon and now I'm angry at Dragon's Dogma for ruining the landscape for the rest of us. Just absolutely wretched.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Ok, so I heard vague references to egregious boob shots, so I looked up some clips to find out what that was all about. And, uh, it's worse than I thought it would be. I guess I'll use spoiler tags in case anyone is sensitive about descriptions of sexual violence or for some reason still wants to watch this show.

One scene has goblins attempting to rape a woman. Good ol' attempted rape, you know, like there was so much of in the game? The goblins pull her top down before the hero shows up and murders them, but the framing of it is one of those classic "about to get gangbanged in a hentai" shots, there's no mistaking that the goblins were attempting to rape her.

Another scene has the Arisen about to sleep with a woman, then he suddenly realises she's a siren and starts strangling her, but the animation still shows her as a woman until right before she dies so it's basically just a scene of the hero character strangling a woman to death for like a minute?!

I'm not opposed to seeing sex or even necessarily sexual violence on screen when it feels appropriate, but I just don't know what the fuck any of this has to do with Dragon's Fucking Dogma.

And even when the scenes were trying to be "sexy" instead of just portraying sexual violence against women for no good reason, the CG animations look ridiculous. Major uncanny valley action. The "jiggle physics" is about as subtle as a DoA game, and the bodies are just completely rigid. Like the main character takes his shirt off and he looks ripped, but as soon as he starts moving around it looks like he painted on a fake set of muscles, which is of course literally the case because it's just a static texture on a 3D model, but they could have at least tried to make it look like his muscles were shifting realistic. But, you know, that's the sort of stuff you could just roll an eye at, it's nothing compared to the violent parts I spoilered in terms of distastefulness.

I dunno, this whole thing turned into a giant bummer. If this is any indication of what Capcom thinks this franchise is about, maybe we don't need DD2 after all...

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, this whole thing turned into a giant bummer. If this is any indication of what Capcom thinks this franchise is about, maybe we don't need DD2 after all...
Its capcom... remember how they care about Resident Evil live action movies or if you've seen the synopsis for the mon hun movie... They just care about money, not ruining their IPs with crap adaptations (but god forbid you make a fan product for no money and then they care about their IP)

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the RE movies suck, but at least most of them are trashy fun. This just seems trashy.
I can only in good faith say the first two movies were fine/good movies, everything after was hot trash. (then again they werent my kind of movies and I probably feel like they were made for the F&F movie crowd (the later ones)