• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you missed what started this and are replying in a vacuum.
I read it all and I still think it's terrible whataboutism and comparing people not wanting to support a videogame (a luxury item) to people using electricity, something anyone needs to live in modern society, makes no sense at all.

Let people not buy a videogame if they want. They don't owe sales to Square-Enix.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
When you're so woke that you loop back around to "boycotting products made by bad people is bad."

He didn't make dq. He's one part in a team that's 100s deep. That's my point.

If you're so worried about supporting anyone that's shitty you're living in a cave because the world is filled with them.

Separating art from the artist is a real thing and it's an ok thing.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I read it all and I still think it's terrible whataboutism and comparing people not wanting to support a videogame (a luxury item) to people using electricity, something anyone needs to live in modern society, makes no sense at all.

Let people not buy a videogame if they want. They don't owe sales to Square-Enix.

Well no shit, and conversely, there's no reason to call someone a supporter of a bigot or war criminal just because they happen to like some of their music. This is no different than with literally all forms of entertainment. Most people are completely ignorant on the chain of individuals involved. Does that make everyone guilty by association, or are we only guilty once we are aware of the issue?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's super interesting. Maybe they're trying to cut down on the distance between entries? I suppose it has been 2 years since XI released, but still... It feels so soon!
They absolutely need to capitalize on switch sales, they cant afford to wait another 4+ years and they cannot rely on sony systems for guaranteed WW sales

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Sugiyama isn't just part of the hundreds of people that had worked on Dragon Quest, but one of the three main figures/faces of the game period.

And with how openly he's supporting alt right movements in Japan including homophobia, defending Japanese war crimes and whatnot I just can't get myself to buy the games.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well no shit, and conversely, there's no reason to call someone a supporter of a bigot or war criminal just because they happen to like some of their music. This is no different than with literally all forms of entertainment. The difference is most people are completely ignorant on the chain of individuals involved. Does that make everyone guilty by association, or are we only guilty once we are aware of the issue?
My problem is with the whataboutism and bad comparisons. I don't shame anyone for liking Dragon Quest (it's a great series imo) and most of the people working on it didn't do anything wrong. It's still a fact that Sugiyama is deeply involved with the series and gets a lot of money from it to support his awful views, so if anyone draws the line here, it's fine.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Well no shit, and conversely, there's no reason to call someone a supporter of a bigot or war criminal just because they happen to like some of their music. This is no different than with literally all forms of entertainment. The difference is most people are completely ignorant on the chain of individuals involved. Does that make everyone guilty by association, or are we only guilty once we are aware of the issue?

the question is of acknowledgement. i bought the game and understand in some sense my money went on to fund homophobic groups in japan. saying "separate the art from the artist" is just lazy hand washing. the poster literally said "don't care about the music producer"

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see what they do next. Hopefully a IX port happens soon as well.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
He didn't make dq. He's one part in a team that's 100s deep. That's my point.

If you're so worried about supporting anyone that's shitty you're living in a cave because the world is filled with them.

Separating art from the artist is a real thing and it's an ok thing.
That's not what separating the art from the artist means. Separating the art from the artist means not considering Dante's religious and political upbringing when evaluating his poetry. It means not considering whether or not Lovecraft's well-documented racism affected his writing. It means critiquing art in a vacuum. It doesn't mean consuming art in a vacuum. That's just called "I don't care enough about those things to affect my purchasing habits."

But my point was that I was almost impressed by how faux-woke you were going to explain why being a conscientious consumer is dumb. Most people just drop a limp "I hope none of you have iPads!!" post and leave it at that. Most people don't go for the over-the-top "drinking water is bad too then" silliness. I mean, I'm not gonna criticize you for buying Dragon Quest games, but pretending to care about other unrelated shit to defend your purchase decisions is for dorks.

Anyway, Sugiyama is trash, his music is trash, and hopefully he passes away peacefully in his sleep soon so he can't actively hurt marginalize people anymore.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Sarcasm?
Dragon Quest releases on whatever has the biggest install base in Japan plain and simple. They put their MMO on the Wii ffs
The PS4 version of XI was a departure if anything.
Square badly wanted 11 to be a breakout in the West. That probably was part of the reason to launch it on PS4.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Enter a dragon quest mainline game thread. See arguing about sugiyama and about which platform the game will be on.
Leave the thread.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those who desire the death of a person are the ones who make me sick.
Imagine then a guy that desires the death of several teenagers ands kids he doesn't even know just because they were born liking people from their own gender.

Even worse, he uses a lot of money to promote this kind of agenda. Way worse than people in a forum I would guess.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Hopefully it's better than 11. Very boring game tbh. Series needs a shake up
God I wish people would stop saying this. The series absolutely doesn't need that. If anything, XI proved that the series foundations are still solid as hell.
Not to mention, the series has had shake-ups lately? IX introduced multiplayer and internet functions for the first time, and X is a bloody MMO. Don't forget the multitudes of spin-offs like Monsters, Rocket Slime and Builders too.
So no, XII doesn't need to be "a shake up". The tried and true formula is as good as it's always been. If you don't like that formula, maybe you just don't like Dragon Quest.

Deleted member 50366

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Rationalizing prejudice and inflammatory generalizations; account still in junior phase
Imagine then a guy that desires the death of several teenagers ands kids he doesn't even know just because they were born liking people from their own gender.

Even worse, he uses a lot of money to promote this kind of agenda. Way worse than people in a forum I would guess.

There's a context, this guy lives in a more conservative society and has nearly 90 years old. I don't care what that old guy says. But, to me, there is no way to justify the desire of people death. I can't judge that, but you arrogant people can just because of your ideology.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Since the mid-90s, usually 4-5 years.

It's probably going to be 2021 at the earliest for DQXII, 2022 to be on the safe side. They usually fill in the gaps with a remake and a port or two.

I always remember when it was announced that DQVII was going to PSX.

Yamauchi, in a spot of sour grapes, said something like "It may take a long time to come out. Maybe Horii will get a cold".

We all thought that was nonsense back then because the SFC turnaround time was just a couple of years, but damned if DQVII didn't end up taking ages and coming out during the twilight of the PSX.

Let's hope the design documents won't have "just put MIDI music!"

I don't have an issue with midi music if it's good midi music. Which XI wasn't :/

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed XI but only because I live this kind of games so much I was happy to overlook its flaws but I agree with most commenters who say they need to shake things up. They're relying on peoples love for the Dragon Quest universe too much, things have moved on and they need to adapt.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a context, this guy lives in a more conservative society and has nearly 90 years old. I don't care what that old guy says. But, to me, there is no way to justify the desire of people death. I can't judge that, but you arrogant people can just because of your ideology.

He literally laughed at the very notion of LGBT kids killing themselves, on live television no less.

Edit: By the way, since I was one of the first people who mentioned him and his death, I want to make it clear that I don't desire his death. What I stated in relation to the comment I was quoting was that he was never going to leave Dragon Quest until he dies, that those who are hoping for Square Enix to replace him for the next game are better off hoping he dies soon since that's the only scenario in which they'll replace him because he owns part of the series.

I think he's a shitty old man who's completely disgusting, but I'm not going to wish for his death or hope he dies. In fact, I think it's better for Dragon Quest fans to ride it out since he's not going to be around forever, and the next mainline game might be his last.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan isn't a monolith, not everyone thinks the same. Literally a high profile producer from SE, the same company that makes DQ, just defended trans people and talked about how sad he gets when he saw a trans teenager suffering prejudice: https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...f-final-fantasy-xiv-says-trans-rights.119812/

There's no context or defense for a person who laughs at the idea of kids killing themselves because they're not hetero and that defends war crimes and imperialism.

And I said nothing about wishing him dead. I like DQ and I think he made many iconic and good tracks over the years. Doesn't mean this guy deserves any defense over the bullshit he says and promotes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I wish people would stop saying this. The series absolutely doesn't need that. If anything, XI proved that the series foundations are still solid as hell.
Not to mention, the series has had shake-ups lately? IX introduced multiplayer and internet functions for the first time, and X is a bloody MMO. Don't forget the multitudes of spin-offs like Monsters, Rocket Slime and Builders too.
So no, XII doesn't need to be "a shake up". The tried and true formula is as good as it's always been. If you don't like that formula, maybe you just don't like Dragon Quest.
agreed. i don't know why people always insist on classic series that people still love to change. there are so many JRPGs now that try different and new things, DQ is the one that sticks to its classic foundations and people love it for that.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that sticking with UE4 and re-using a bunch of assets (monsters, traditional NPCs, weapons and such) means it will have a shorter turnaround time than X>XI.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Makes sense. While they were still doing significant work on the international and Switch releases, that's not something the studio's full weight will need to be put behind. With a series like this, it's not a matter of "if" they're going to have a successor, but "when". Prep-work for the successor probably would have started quite some time ago.

the question is of acknowledgement. i bought the game and understand in some sense my money went on to fund homophobic groups in japan. saying "separate the art from the artist" is just lazy hand washing. the poster literally said "don't care about the music producer"
This is where I'm at too. Life is hard and complicated, and I won't judge someone for consuming something that brings them joy, even if it can get messy. The only things I want from people, is that we don't lose track of this baggage, and that we don't make excuses for it. Sugiyama uses his fame and fortune to spread hate and ignorance, and Dragon Quest is directly tied to this. It sucks, and I'm sure it's annoying for people who are tired of being reminded of it in every Dragon Quest thread, but this is how it's gotta be. If Sugiyama can't be removed and nobody wants to give up on Dragon Quest, Square Enix and its audience will have to put up with the mild inconvenience of being reminded of the situation.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
So many people that didn't try to read the conversation that quote started from.
You should have edited your first post then : P.
You're the first one to know if what you said was updated, so it seems a bit easier than asking several people to read every single post on topics, don't you think ?

Not so important though anyway ^^.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're definitely making this for Switch first. At least for playstation owners, they'll get a 60fps, 4K version on PS5 and PC

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Nintendo Switch expected to have another 5 years on its life cycle or will they make a new version by then?

I hope not. That'd mean dragging the game down heavily.

I seriously doubt they would make the game with Switch in mind first. It's going to be using UE4 again most likely. Plus they can't really downgrade from the amazing visuals of DQXI.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Horii should try new composers (Hitoshi Sakimoto maybe?) and licence to Sugiyama estate only the main series theme. I wonder if he have the power.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously doubt they would make the game with Switch in mind first. It's going to be using UE4 again most likely. Plus they can't really downgrade from the amazing visuals of DQXI.

Why not, when they certainly did it after DQ VIII? They likely wouldn't if it's a multiplat again, but they have made a sequel graphically inferior before. I think most likely it would look as good as DQXI, but won't necessarily take advantage of next gen consoles.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're looking to a end of Switch/PS5 game, or maybe straight up Switch 2/PS5 game yeah.

Plus they can't really downgrade from the amazing visuals of DQXI.

They absolutely can and have already done so.

DQ releases on the most popular platforms for the brand at that time. It's guaranteed to be made for Switch first.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
I really want them to bring the job system back for 12 and past that just give me a non-silent protag is all I ask bah.

Sugiyama should just retire at this point, he's the worst thing about the games at this point.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're looking to a end of Switch/PS5 game, or maybe straight up Switch 2/PS5 game yeah.
unless the game is 8-10 years away, it's not gonna be on switch 2. switch will be on the market till at least 2022 with a massive userbase, and at that point they've had 5 years between 11 and 12. releasing the game early on into a systems life isn't something DQ is known for.