• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just hope they don't fuck up this much with DQ XII.
XI's development has been such a mess... It's almost surprising how poorly planned everything was.

Unless this release finally manages to break out in the west when the previous PS4/PC and Switch versions didn't then the circumstances for DQ XII are going to be even more precarious.

Can't afford to development a separate Switch version like they did with 3DS this time around.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It is for now at least.
c1s012o.png

for how long...I hope I can still get the original on steam in a next sale lol

I already have the OG on PS4 though

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Let's just hope they don't fuck up this much with DQ XII.
XI's development has been such a mess... It's almost surprising how poorly planned everything was.
I'd say it's less likely XII will have similar issues because they will hopefully design the game around a Switch version existing from the start. Will definitely be fascinating to see how Dragon Quest XII is developed with Switch being so popular in Japan but with next gen coming.

Oct 31, 2017
The development of this game must have been a complete cluster fuck lol. The extras in the S version are not enough for me to look at the downgraded graphics on a 4k TV for 100 hours.

Will we ever get the definitively definitive version??

This is it.

Just wish some modders will be able to work their magic on this game when the time comes !

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is such a bummer, when this was announced I thought I could finally play the definitive version of this game... Thought it was given they would keep the fidelity of the original game intact. Maybe modders can do some work on the pc version, but for now I'm still holding off.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
jesus square enix

how is this possible lol

i guess one could play the ps4 version on ps5 with backwards compatibility lol. but then you'd be stuck with the horrible ps4 version music

jesus lol

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it's less likely XII will have similar issues because they will hopefully design the game around a Switch version existing from the start. Will definitely be fascinating to see how Dragon Quest XII is developed with Switch being so popular in Japan but with next gen coming.
But designing around switch is already fucking up.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I could, but it's graphically worse and I would have to wait until december. I don't know if it's worth it to wait, basically.
And I don't know enough about it to decide, since it's my first DQ.
The original steam version is in my personal top 5 jrpg of all time.

In no order particular order: Lunar 2 ps1, Chrono Trigger, DQ11, Shadow Hearts 2, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door

It's a bit of a slow start but the game is charming as hell and solid regardless. Just look up the music mod.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Unless this release finally manages to break out in the west when the previous PS4/PC and Switch versions didn't then the circumstances for DQ XII are going to be even more precarious.

Can't afford to development a separate Switch version like they did with 3DS this time around.

Reality is this series makes its money in Japan and the West does not give a fuck about it. They are never going to sell 4m units like the days of old on Sony systems and PC in the current day. So they need to pick their platforms and their development pipeline better or readjust their expectations. That's just reality.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
They couldn't the switch version was a delayed port due to the difficulty getting it on the Switch. It was going to come out months late so to give people reasons to actually buy it when most bought it on either PS4 PC or 3DS they added extra content (a common strategy). That's was to justify the effort of building the game almost from scratch on the switch. It worked as it's sold at least a million on the platform, probably a fair bit more.

The definitive edition was never planned to ended up on PS4 and PC etc that's why they're porting the switch version as when they were making the new content they weren't creating it on the old versions that were on a slightly different version of Unreal engine 4.
This is explaining why it would be beneficial to nintendo, not square. Switch versions would have sold the same if the S ps/pc versions released last year, and square could have priced that at full price thus making more money. Paid timed exclusive content is super common for the big three, you just refuse to accept it.

We actually had a leak from 7 months ago of a picture of a S version for ps4.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
This is explaining why it would be beneficial to nintendo, not square. Switch versions would have sold the same if the S ps/pc versions released last year, and square could have priced that at full price thus making more money.

We actually had a leak from 7 months ago of a picture of a S version for ps4.
Game sales go to SE not Nintendo. The switch version was planned and announced along with the other versions. Are saying the a video game publisher selling copies of their game don't benefit them? What on earth do you consider a benefit to a video game publisher then? Might as well say Cyberpunk selling well doesn't benefit CDPR.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
The way SE has handled DQXI is just so disappointing, sigh.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this just strikes me as idiotic. Now, there Is always going to be squabbling about which is the definitive version too, which is always a fun debate to have.

I mean, with the original PS4 version, I would easily forego the rest of the 'S' additions, if it just meant I had the soundtrack switched out.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
The pc version was good after they patched in the option to remove the weird smoothing filter.
The pc version "has" the orchestrated sound track

It's important to note that Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition has a LOT more going for it than just the orchestrated soundtrack, taken from Game Revolution:

Ultra-Fast battle speed

A third battle speed option, Ultra-Fast, lets you speed through battles even faster. In previous versions, the only options were Normal and Fast.

Cutscene changes

You can now skip cutscenes at any time. In previous versions, cutscenes could only be skipped if you'd seen them before. This change should allow those who already played the game on PS4 or PC to have a smoother trip through the story sections they find boring. There's also a new option to have cutscenes autoplay, meaning you won't have to press the "A" button every time a character is done saying a line of dialogue.

Portable Fun-Size Forge

The Fun-Size Forge, Dragon Quest 11's item crafting station, could previously only be used at campsites. In the definitive edition, the Fun-Size Forge can be used pretty much anywhere, activated as an item in the menu.

Cosmetic-only outfits

In previous versions of Dragon Quest 11 (and in previous Dragon Quest games, such as Dragon Quest 8), changing the appearance of party members required equipping particular items with their own stat values. For example, if you wanted companion character Erik to look like a pirate, you'd have to equip either the Corsairs Coat and Cap or the Pirate King's Coat and Cap. If you found better equipment, you were out of luck, since changing Erik's armor would change his appearance. In the Dragon Quest 11 Switch version, there's a new tab in the equipment menu called "Outfit," which allows you to choose your character's cosmetic appearance (once you've acquired the necessary items to obtain that appearance the old way) without sacrificing their stats.

Horse Hailer

Rather than requiring you to summon your horse at one of the bell posts near towns and other safe zones, Dragon Quest 11 S introduces the Horse Hailer item, which allows you to call your horse to you at any time (assuming you're in an area that allows for it).

Quick Commands menu

A new Quick Commands menu can be easily pulled up, allowing you to rapidly select from certain helpful items and abilities without digging into several menu screens. These include items like the Horse Hailer and Fun-Size Forge, features like the new Photo Mode, and abilities like Erik's Nose for Treasure (a new ability in Dragon Quest 11 on Switch that allows Erik to tell the player how many treasure chests are in the area).

Additional quality-of-life changes*

• Ore and other materials that previously dropped items on the ground when harvested now drop directly into your inventory
  • There will be the option to turn off grunt and exhale sounds from the protagonist
  • Killing monsters in the overworld using a mount (monsters or the horse) will grant experience points
  • You can switch between the classic battle camera and free movement mid-battle
  • Menus can be navigated with joysticks in addition to the D-pad
  • Purchased materials are automatically deposited in the Bag
  • In-battle party member dialogue now appears in a speech bubble in the top right of the screen, complete with an illustrated portrait of the character, in addition to the character's spoken voice lines
  • You can now instantly talk with your party members by pressing the minus ("-") button, rather than selecting the option in the menu.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Revelation #1: on ps4 this is a seprarate game from vanilla game, not dlc, or upgrade.
Revelation # 2: it will look worse than the vanilla game.

This deal is looking worse and worse.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's important to note that Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition has a LOT more going for it than just the orchestrated soundtrack, taken from Game Revolution:

Ultra-Fast battle speed

A third battle speed option, Ultra-Fast, lets you speed through battles even faster. In previous versions, the only options were Normal and Fast.

Cutscene changes

You can now skip cutscenes at any time. In previous versions, cutscenes could only be skipped if you'd seen them before. This change should allow those who already played the game on PS4 or PC to have a smoother trip through the story sections they find boring. There's also a new option to have cutscenes autoplay, meaning you won't have to press the "A" button every time a character is done saying a line of dialogue.

Portable Fun-Size Forge

The Fun-Size Forge, Dragon Quest 11's item crafting station, could previously only be used at campsites. In the definitive edition, the Fun-Size Forge can be used pretty much anywhere, activated as an item in the menu.

Cosmetic-only outfits

In previous versions of Dragon Quest 11 (and in previous Dragon Quest games, such as Dragon Quest 8), changing the appearance of party members required equipping particular items with their own stat values. For example, if you wanted companion character Erik to look like a pirate, you'd have to equip either the Corsairs Coat and Cap or the Pirate King's Coat and Cap. If you found better equipment, you were out of luck, since changing Erik's armor would change his appearance. In the Dragon Quest 11 Switch version, there's a new tab in the equipment menu called "Outfit," which allows you to choose your character's cosmetic appearance (once you've acquired the necessary items to obtain that appearance the old way) without sacrificing their stats.

Horse Hailer

Rather than requiring you to summon your horse at one of the bell posts near towns and other safe zones, Dragon Quest 11 S introduces the Horse Hailer item, which allows you to call your horse to you at any time (assuming you're in an area that allows for it).

Quick Commands menu

A new Quick Commands menu can be easily pulled up, allowing you to rapidly select from certain helpful items and abilities without digging into several menu screens. These include items like the Horse Hailer and Fun-Size Forge, features like the new Photo Mode, and abilities like Erik's Nose for Treasure (a new ability in Dragon Quest 11 on Switch that allows Erik to tell the player how many treasure chests are in the area).

Additional quality-of-life changes*

• Ore and other materials that previously dropped items on the ground when harvested now drop directly into your inventory
  • There will be the option to turn off grunt and exhale sounds from the protagonist
  • Killing monsters in the overworld using a mount (monsters or the horse) will grant experience points
  • You can switch between the classic battle camera and free movement mid-battle
  • Menus can be navigated with joysticks in addition to the D-pad
  • Purchased materials are automatically deposited in the Bag
  • In-battle party member dialogue now appears in a speech bubble in the top right of the screen, complete with an illustrated portrait of the character, in addition to the character's spoken voice lines
  • You can now instantly talk with your party members by pressing the minus ("-") button, rather than selecting the option in the menu.
I know the changes, but they are not worth 40 bucks on top of a graphical downgrade if someone owns the game already imo. I skipped the switch version for a reason. PC version is super impressive looking if all I played was the ps4 version Id stomach it a bit easier

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
The pc version has the orchestrated sound track
It doesn't have ultra-fast battle speed (this makes a massive difference, especially in draconian mode, which is a must IMO, battles are just too trivial otherwise), cosmetic armor, all party members in the overworld, forging anywhere and being able to buy most materials in the forge menu, extra story chapters, using the horse bell anywhere, photo mode, 2D mode, choosing your partner at the end and loads of additional costumes. I would not give that up for better graphics.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Game sales go to SE not Nintendo. The switch version was planned and announced along with the other versions. Are saying the a video game publisher selling copies of their game don't benefit them? What on earth do you consider a benefit to a video game publisher then? Might as well say Cyberpunk selling well doesn't benefit CDPR.
It doesnt benefit SE if you buy switch instead of Ps4. Nintendo gets hardware push and royalties from switch version, they want you to buy that one only, square cares about you buying the game on any platform not switch only with a 14 timed exclusive. Reasling S at full price last eyar would have been more beneficial to square than what they did now cause excuse to sell it full price.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have ultra-fast battle speed (this makes a massive difference, especially in draconian mode, which is a must IMO, battles are just too trivial otherwise), cosmetic armor, all party members in the overworld, forging anywhere and being able to buy most materials in the forge menu, extra story chapters, using the horse bell anywhere, photo mode, 2D mode, choosing your partner at the end and loads of additional costumes. I would not give that up for better graphics.
So you want them to spend an extra 40 bucks? They already own the game. You gonna buy it for them since you don't want them to miss the new features so badly?

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope this doesn't give Atlus any ideas, if/when they start delving further into their catalogue.

Imagine a day, when they announce a multi-platform 'Persona 3 remastered', except it's the FES port with none of the P3P additions *shudder*

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm still wrapping my head around this fuckery. SE sure has a habit of making multiple versions/ports of a game and none are truly definitive or without compromise.

I wonder how mod friendly this will be, though it would be a huge effort I think.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It doesnt benefit SE if you buy switch instead of Ps4. Nintendo gets hardware push and royalties from switch version, they want you to buy that one only, square cares about you buying the game on any platform not switch only with a 14 timed exclusive. Reasling S at full price last eyar would have been more beneficial to square than what they did now cause excuse to sell it full price.
That's not the purpose of the S version. The purpose was to sell to the switch audience and anyone that bought either of the other two versions as the game would otherwise sell poorly. It was to encourage double dipping, it had nothing to do with decreasing sales of the PS4 etc version who had already sold the vast majority of it's ltd and whose sales had substantially slowed down. Companies do this all the time.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They said they could get a refund. Of course being it twice would be silly.
Hasn't it been two weeks since the sale? Refund time should have passed, unless it's different in regions outside of NA.

The switch version is technically better overall I don't disagree but the original is still insanely good the switch version just takes a top of the class game and makes it better. People praised the original in the first place for a reason.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reality is this series makes its money in Japan and the West does not give a fuck about it. They are never going to sell 4m units like the days of old on Sony systems and PC in the current day. So they need to pick their platforms and their development pipeline better or readjust their expectations. That's just reality.

The timing doesn't help. DQXI vanilla came out after the Switch and then they've spent at least two years working on the S version. If they only really started on XII after wrapping that they will be looking at a release too late for Switch so PS5 is the natural target.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't it been two weeks since the sale? Refund time should have passed, unless it's different in regions outside of NA.
I know nothing about Steam sales, sorry lol. Personally I would get a refund if I can if just to save myself several hours of playtime with the new battle speed. If not, then of course just play the vanilla version if you already own it. The extra stuff can be watched on Youtube I guess.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad I saw this I was considering buying a nicer looking version, I'll just stick to the Switch version then.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The timing doesn't help. DQXI vanilla came out after the Switch and then they've spent at least two years working on the S version. If they only really started on XII after wrapping that they will be looking at a release too late for Switch so PS5 is the natural target.

For PS5 what would be the ceiling in Japan? 2.5m? (probably closer to 2m) They have to find 1.5-2m in the West on PS5, Series X, PC. That will be difficult.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
That's not the purpose of the S version. The purpose was to sell to the switch audience and anyone that bought either of the other two versions as the game would otherwise sell poorly. It was to encourage double dipping, it had nothing to do with decreasing sales of the PS4 etc version who had already sold the vast majority of it's ltd and whose sales had substantially slowed down. Companies do this all the time.
Switch audience would have bought it the same even if S ps4 released last year, this doesn't make sense. Why release it 14 months later at all then.

Timed moneyhat happens all the time, this is the case here and to me it is very clear considering the leak of the ps4 disk, you're not convincing me otherwise so we can stop here.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
This will get updated close to or after release, no way they leave it like that... right?

The orchestral soundtrack still makes XI:S the superior way to play the game
but yeah that's kinda silly
nah.. PC/PS4 version is still the best version. I bought the Switch version as well and I chose to listen at an inferior soundtrack (which is not all that great to begin with AND still has midi tracks) then to look at an inferior game.

I have to stand on that.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Its disappointing I wanted to play the new content with the original PS4 quality with further improvements on the PS5.

Looks like those dreams are dashed.

Annoyinmous

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Why is everyone here so sure it will be a graphically downgraded port on the PC compared to the current ver?