• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but Nintendo console owners never got as unjustifiably shafted as with the DQXI example with any other console than the Wii U, but even then it's a different situation since the Wii U was a flop and neither of the current gen systems are.
First, yes the (popular) Wii versions of various 3rd party games such as COD did get shafted as well in the way I described. Second, I see you sort of accept the "flop" excuse (or at least describe it as different). Well, that's a double edged sword, because you need to realize that for SE, DQXI was a flop in the West, so ignoring the non Switch versions is, by that same logic, sort of understandable...

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is where I finally will play this game. Those are a really great set of improvements, especially the increased battle speed and orchestrated music.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
We now got folks calling the original release "incomplete" as if it wasn't lacking content and didn't didn't take hundred plus hours to do everything.

Some of you folks are acting like this content was done and they just conveniently decided to not include it in the initial release.

Also there is no guarantee the new additions for the Switch version are exclusive and some update isn't in the works for the other platforms.

Still it a near two year port after the initial release of the game that wasn't developed in parallel, there is a certain level of naivety involved if those were expecting such a port to not have something extra to justify a late port in the first place.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
or maybe Nintendo paid for it .
It seems far more likely Nintendo paid for it, then SE saying fuck other people. Maybe it only limited time exclusive for a year or so.

You think Nintendo paid for exclusivity on features for a late port?

It's a year late in the West and two years in Japan. These features are to encourage people to buy the game after such a long time, adding them back into the old versions defeats the purpose.

Jan 11, 2018
First, yes the (popular) Wii versions of various 3rd party games such as COD did get shafted as well in the way I described. Second, I see you sort of accept the "flop" excuse (or at least describe it as different). Well, that's a double edged sword, because you need to realize that for SE, DQXI was a flop in the West, so ignoring the non Switch versions is, by that same logic, sort of justified...

Additional multiplayer maps not making it into Wii ports of Call of Dutiy is in no way comparable to the DQXI situation.

As for DQXI being a flop in the West:
https://cogconnected.com/2018/10/analyst-dragon-quest-xi-biggest-launch-month-franchise-history/

So no, you don't have a point here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You can already get XI for half the price in PS4/Steam - this version will be published by Nintendo and probably not dropped in price for along time after release. So obviously they had to add more content to it if they are asking for another 60 bucks.

But it's really weird how SE handled this one...seems like they were okay shitting on their fans for the quick bucks. When they initially announced the western release on PS4/Steam ....they made it seem like the Switch game was ages away. I still feel they could have released all versions at the same time.

So yeah glad I waited bit but bummer for people who can't afford to double dip on this one and own another version.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
First, yes the (popular) Wii versions of various 3rd party games such as COD did get shafted as well in the way I described. Second, I see you sort of accept the "flop" excuse (or at least describe it as different). Well, that's a double edged sword, because you need to realize that for SE, DQXI was a flop in the West, so ignoring the non Switch versions is, by that same logic, sort of understandable...
I think he means that it made sense that the WiiU didnt get DQXI, because the system wasnt selling very well. Theres no telling how the Switch version will sell in the west either, so how the PS4 and PC version did shouldnt really be a factor to this (i dont think its a flop by the way, but maybe Square Enix expected more). Its more a case of goodwill to the fans if they patch the PC and PS4 version.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll buy this game twice. First on PS4 because of the graphics then on Switch.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't convince myself to play this game AGAIN after how long it took me to beat plus all the backlog that I have, but at the same time, I'm tempted to play a new run with JP voices, orchestrated music and the other jank included

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure I have the energy to play this again, but I'll buy it for the 2D version alone.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice that this is coming to the West for Switch sooner. Can't wait to play this one.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I saw a lot of cutscenes in that trailer that I don't remember in the original game (I don't remember Jade having a blue outfit--and I collected all the appearance altering outfits). I have the game on PC (for the orchestrated music mod), and even with the new content I not sure I want to double dip. Spend over 220 hours and I'm done.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I've not played this game and it seems this version potentially fixes the music issue that people had me worried about. I legitimately feel bad for PS4/XBONE owners though...

Jan 11, 2018
I think he means that it made sense that WiiU didnt get DQXI, because the system wasnt selling very well. Theres no telling how the Switch version will sell in the west either, so it shouldnt really be much of a factor. Its more a case of goodwill to the fans if they patch the PC and PS4 version.

No, I meant that Nintendo console owners aren't used to getting a game and then no more than a year later the other systems get a port with significant upgrades, including basic stuff that should have been in the original release - and with no compensation either.

It's like when people bought MvC3 and then 8 months later Capcom released UMvC3. That's the same kind of fuckery as the way DQ fans have been treated with this game's releases. If you bought it on PS4, you're stuck with a soundtrack that sounds worse than some PS1 music (and I'm not exaggerating here) because they couldn't be bothered to negotiate with the dickhead of a composer to include proper orchestral versions... but somehow when it comes to this port they went all out and made the effort?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Additional multiplayer maps not making it into Wii ports of Call of Dutiy is in no way comparable to the DQXI situation.

As for DQXI being a flop in the West:
https://cogconnected.com/2018/10/analyst-dragon-quest-xi-biggest-launch-month-franchise-history/

So no, you don't have a point here.
Ok, that's news to me, so not flop, but I am still fairly certain SE did not get what they hoped for out of the western release, given what the sacrifice they did for it in Japan. But of course I could be wrong, and this is not really on topic and would just derail the thread, so let's leave it at this - I agree that SE should make a paid DLC that would add the missing content to other consoles/PC.

Added:I can't help it though, since you present this as some unprecedented thing - It just occurred to me that at the time (with PS3 at the very least), Sony had a clause that any late port got extra content. So all ports to PS3 that were not day 1 got their exclusive content. I honestly don't remember any outcry about that.

Last edited:

Isotope

Nov 7, 2017
I was praying that the Switch version would come with the 2D Mode. Everything on top of that is icing on the cake; glad I waited.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Hell yeah im in for this. Glad I waited for sure. Was really doubting this development process about this time last year. Stoked the 3DS version's 2D visuals were included.

Loving this new Square Enix relationship with Nintendo.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, I would have liked to play the 2d mode with the ost and the 3d mode with the orchestrated mode

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah good luck with that. I don't buy Square-Enix simply patching the licensed symphonic suite version of the soundtrack into the game for free.

I think it's fair the content be added as DLC, but you need to temper your expectations if you expect to receive over 70 tracks of free music.

Richy78

Oct 27, 2017
Oh gosh I hate this!! I rarely double dip for a game but 2D got me! Have to shink another 100 hours into it!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So your choice here is to assault your ears or assault your eyes.
Not if you play in 2D.

But seriously the 3D Switch version is not an "assault on your eyes". It does look better on PS4 (let alone PC) but it looks good enough. And if you plan to play mostly in portable mode I assure you the differences will be hardly noticeable.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if will buy since I love the PC version graphics and wouldnt need the benefit of the game being portable, but I thought the overworld graphics looked surprisingly good (far less foliage draw distance of course)

For those that like portable, its a fantastic port what with the 2D mode and new content for each character

Jan 11, 2018
No, it happened like every time with Tales.

Eh, not really. For starters, most of those were Japan exclusive, or not from the same console generation. And remakes don't count. There has never been a Tales game released for one system in the West, only for other systems to get a significantly improved version less than a year later.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
There's basically no chance the PS4 version is going to get the orchestrated soundtrack, right? I wanted to replay the game with stronger monsters at some point, but dropping 60 bucks just for better music and 16-bit mode seems pretty steep, especially since graphics are going to take a hit as a trade off. Since PC owners can always mod the music in, PS4 owners really got the short end of the stick here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It is DQ, i never cared how it looks. I care about battles/stories/exploration. 9 was a DS game and it was at the time the best DQ I have played.

16-bit also is going to give this game fantastic replay value for me.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, not really. For starters, most of those were Japan exclusive, or not from the same console generation. And remakes don't count.
They're exactly the same. Symphonia PS2 and Graces f were both year later ports that added signficant content, story, playable characters, etc, that never found it's way back to GC/Wii.

No, the orchestral music should be free DLC.

The newly recorded Japanese dub and/or the 2D stuff on the other hand, sure - they could get away with releasing those as paid DLC. But not something as basic as the BGM.
SE doesn't owe anyone anything. PS4 owners got the game a year earlier (2 years earlier in Japan), that was the tradeoff.

DQXIS Definitive Edition is confirmed Switch exclusive anyway, enough with the sour grapes portbegging from you.