• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Question, fans:

1. Are those dipping again, did you finish the game?

2. Is this a long experience & difficult (as in- tough enemies, quests, etc) to finish in your opinion?
1. I'm double dipping and I finished the game. I loved the game enough to experience it with the orchestral music and the new story content.

2. It is indeed long since it took me 80 hours to beat. As far as difficulty goes, I played it on normal and I only really died during the final boss. It felt pretty balanced to me buuuuuuut there are difficulty options you can customize. I would just be the wrong person to ask about that because I never messed with them.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
The composer's homophobia wasn't the tipping point but a port -- releasing a year later -- that has some orchestrated tracks was?

Okay bud.

Yep. Because he's not in a significant position of power in the company. If that's not far enough for you, tough shit dude. If he was the face of the company or the face of the dev team, I'd boycott the game or company itself all day long until he was gone. He's one small cog in the machine. A shitty cog, no doubt, but he's not that important. Like I said before, if he was someone in a position like Nomura or someone like Tabata was, I'd be hard out of DQ or even Square as a whole yesterday, but he's not.

Take the good enough man, or condemn every single person here buying it and especially those double dipping.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I could play this game in the best possible experience ever on the PC, but i just rather play RPGS in undock mode on the Switch. Mobility over stationary gaming is the best experience for me.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
is nintendo the publisher outside japan?

Appears so. And thank god for that as S-E has no clue how to advertize DQ in the west.

Question, fans:

1. Are those dipping again, did you finish the game?

2. Is this a long experience & difficult (as in- tough enemies, quests, etc) to finish in your opinion?

1. The only platinum trophy I have ever gotten is for this game.

2. The game is quite lengthy. Took me 45 hours for the main game, 72 hours for the post game (which is essential to the story and should really just be called "the rest of the game"), 90 hours for the platinum. Difficult? On normal, not really. There were only a few instances in which I really felt challenged. But the game has hard more options.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of wish people would stop platform wars.

We got it so much sooner on PC and PS4. It's cool that Switch is getting a lot of significant bonuses.

I do wish they would update the other versions with *some* of these features. But at least on PC we had several solutions.

And please support the game, it's a full experience no matter which platform you get it on ! Worth it !

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Maybe Horii and Sugiyama went full Shinji Mikami with this game. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about the PC and PS4 version, guess they'll get "S update" eventually.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Because he's not in a significant position of power in the company. If that's not far enough for you, tough shit dude. If he was the face of the company or the face of the dev team, I'd boycott the game or company itself all day long until he was gone. He's one small cog in the machine. A shitty cog, no doubt, but he's not that important. Like I said before, if he was someone in a position like Nomura or someone like Tabata was, I'd be hard out of DQ or even Square as a whole yesterday, but he's not.

Take the good enough man, or condemn every single person here buying it and especially those double dipping.

Uh... Sugiyama is definitely a large cog of Dragon Quest. It's why he has so much power and say.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017

We got it so much sooner on PC and PS4. It's cool that Switch is getting a lot of significant bonuses.

I do wish they would update the other versions with *some* of these features. But at least on PC we had several solutions.

And please support the game, it's a full experience no matter which platform you get it on ! Worth it !
It's warranted. There's a million games coming out and that I could play other than this and be satisfied the rest of my life. It's easily skipped if they want to pull this exclusive bullshit on a platform that's not my choice. I have a Switch. I have a PC. I want to play this at 60fps and best graphics/resolution possible as it's a cool looking game art wise.

Fuck it. I'll only be happy if they patch it in to other versions. No reason not to. I wouldn't be bitching if it was an exclusive game to the platform. It's not.

Also I'm not yelling at you just the situation.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I am def double dipping

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Someone in the West comes up with arbitrary reason to not play DQ. The order of the universe remains preserved.
Does it make any difference if someone takes the stand any other place in the world? :P Seems a bit condescending toward those who live in the west, because the opinion would be the same regardless of where people live. I guess that isnt your intention though, but i just had to mention it.

DQXI - well... a big middle finger to those who supported the PS4 version
To be fair, DQ11 will be over 2 years old (released in July 2017 in Japan) on PS4 when the Switch version gets released. Its not uncommon that they add new things to a later release/version. I do agree that it would be nice if they at least give the new OST as an update for the PC and PS4 version though.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's warranted. There's a million games coming out and that I could play other than this and be satisfied the rest of my life. It's easily skipped if they want to pull this exclusive bullshit on a platform that's not my choice. I have a Switch. I have a PC. I want to play this at 60fps and best graphics/resolution possible as it's a cool looking game art wise.

Fuck it. I'll only be happy if they patch it in to other versions. No reason not to. I wouldn't be bitching if it was an exclusive game to the platform. It's not.

Also I'm not yelling at you just the situation.

Then get it on PC.

There's orchestral modes and the game looks like this :

QfBtWSF.jpg

(ingame screenshot I took !)

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Not really the same thing. Most of the time that's been due to Nintendo putting out inferior hardware and sacrifices having to be made in order for the game to run properly on the Nintendo system.
No, most of the time the Nintendo versions (on past consoles, not the Switch) didn't get any DLCs when others did, and quite often extra maps and such were missing, and this had nothing to do with how powerful the Nintendo console was. Yet there was never an outcry by anyone but the Nintendo console owners - quite the contrary, the common answer was of the type "if this bothers you get a PS3/360".

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Some people notice graphical differences, but everyone will hear audio differences

If the graphical differences are "extremely rough", what does that make the audio?

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah sure Sugiyama is definitely not the big part of DQ franchise...... /s

I'm not going to go tell everyone that they shouldn't support DQ because it's ultimately their choice, and supporting DQ doesn't equal to supporting Sugiyama's delusional/horrible ideals, but gosh.... Let's just not brush of Sugiyama as "random composer A", he was always a big part of DQ franchise, and will continue to be so. FFS, I'd argue that he's a way bigger name to DQ franchise than Tabata is to FF franchise.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
They're adding a lot of new things to this version, but damn... It looks rough. I don't think I can deal with so much pop-in and blur. Plus, you know, beating the game already on PC. Maybe everything will be a paid upgrade for other platforms at some point, like World Of Final Fantasy Maxima.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
No, most of the time the Nintendo versions (on past consoles, not the Switch) didn't get any DLCs when others did, and quite often extra maps and such were missing, and this had nothing to do with how powerful the Nintendo console was. Yet there was never an outcry by anyone but the Nintendo console owners - quite the contrary, the common answer was "if this bothers you get a PS3/360".
Don't blame the shitty fan boys who throw around stuff like that. Blame the companies for not releasing content on your preferred platform. Not releasing DLC and stuff for old Nintendo console was a shitty move by those companies and it would be a shitty move by Square if they don't release this for PS4 players. I am still hoping they will release a DLC update like they did for the World of Final Fantasy Maxima content. If not I will 100% buy the Switch version.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with Dragon Quest if some of that shit isn't a free update for other versions. Fuck that bullshit. Making us suffer through that shitty midi and then fixing it in a new SKU. Christ.
We did get to play it a year before Switch owners though. Free is unreasonable but the new content as DLC for PS4 and PC should be an option. I'd pay for that for sure.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
So they released an incomplete game last year, then finished recording the music and are releasing it as a system exclusive? Lol. That's some low shit.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a really nice version for the people that waited. I wouldnt trade it for the pc at 1440p 60fps orcastrated tho. Game is ugly on the switch version though 2d mode fixes that issue

logash

Oct 27, 2017
We did get to play it a year before Switch owners though. Free is unreasonable but the new content as DLC for PS4 and PC should be an option. I'd pay for that for sure.
I agree. It doesn't feel unreasonable to pay the extra money for it. I would rather pay a fraction of the full price than buy the Switch version but I will if I have to :)

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for newcomers and richboys who can doubledip, but man if this is exclusive and with no update to the ps4/pc versions, wow. What a way to treat people, lmao.

Jan 11, 2018

I don't think people are necessarily intending to make this about the platforms. It's Square Enix that is rightfully being criticised the most here.

No, most of the time the Nintendo versions (on past consoles, not the Switch) didn't get any DLCs when others did, and quite often extra maps and such were missing, and this had nothing to do with how powerful the Nintendo console was. Yet there was never an outcry by anyone but the Nintendo console owners - quite the contrary, the common answer was of the type "if this bothers you get a PS3/360".

Sorry, but Nintendo console owners never got as unjustifiably shafted as with the DQXI example with any other console than the Wii U, but even then it's a different situation since the Wii U was a flop and neither of the current gen systems are.

Last edited:

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I am so happy the Switch version is getting the retro mode. That was one of the reasons I wanted the 3DS version localized, the other being I wanted to play Dragon Quest XI on the go.