• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
Growing up, JRPGs were my favorite and most played genre. It all started with Pokemon Red, a great and simple RPG to introduce me to turn based combat, status effects, physical/special attacks, etc. Overhearing my friends gush about Final Fantasy VII, I eventually picked it up on sale not too long after release. It was then that I knew what my favorite genre was. I played every RPG I could get my hands on.

Flash forward to the Nintendo DS. After dozens of incredible RPGs, I was recommend this franchise that was still unknown to me. It supposedly pre-dated Final Fantasy (my favorite series) and featured art from the creator of my favorite anime (Dragonball Z). I then heard that some sort of Party Chat feature was for some reason removed, which means I couldn't fully experience the characters bantering with one another. So I decided not to play an inferior version of a game I was new to.

So flash forward again to the Switch. A Godsend of a gaming system! As a busy father, I rarely get to use my TV. I've turned into a primarily handheld gamer, and if I don't get to play on my Switch, making a few minutes of game time scattered throughout my day, I probably won't be able to play it at all. It took me a year to beat games like Final Fantasy XV on my PS4, but I'm already on my third house and third play though of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

So it's thanks to a combination of the Switch allowing me to actually play and finish games, and being new to this franchise I've been looking forward to trying for a long time. I would absolutely enjoy a chance to win, but regardless of who wins, the OP is incredibly generous for this opportunity! Thank you!

Apr 21, 2018
I'm sure many people here deserves it more than me, but I have never played a Dragon Quest game before, and the demo really impressed me. There is something about the way the gameplay operates in such a classic structure, yet the presentation, polish, and modern QOL features are still there. It kind of makes me feel like a kid when playing it. And it also kind of strikes me as the type of game I would have dreamt to exist back in the SNES generation.

Oct 25, 2017
For me, I've only ever played the Builders games when it comes to Dragon Quest, but doing that has peaked my interest in the mainline series big-time. I'm not even a huge fan of turn-based RPGs in general, but I was absolutely CHARMED by the recent Switch demo. While others have maligned its simplicity, I think that's a huge selling point for me, as often JRPGs get far too bogged down in "systems" for my taste. Couple that with the portability of the Switch and just how freaking colorful (and gorgeous) the world is, and it's exactly the kind of game I didn't realize I needed. So as a relative newbie to the series, I'm stoked for this game to be my first real trip into the world of Dragon Quest.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Warrior was the very first game I ever owned. My family had an NES, and s few games, but they were things my older brother had bought. I convinced my parents to purchase me subscription to Nintendo Power and with it came a copy of Dragon Warrior. It quickly became my favorite game. Through the years I would lose track of the series a bit, but got pulled back in with VIII on the PS2. Then IX ended up being a handheld exclusive that I missed out on and X was a mmo that was never released here. So I've been very much looking forward to a new Dragon Quest game to play.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I first played Dragon Quest back on the GameBoy Color, when I played Dragon Warrior 3. I bought it on a complete lark because the cover looked cool, and I liked Pokemon. Turns out to be one of the most important and fun games of my youth (I was 14 or so when it came out on GBC), and I followed that game up with Dragon Quest 8 on PS2, which is one of my favorite RPGs ever.

I'm super excited for Dragon Quest 11 on Switch to have another all-time great RPG I can play on the go, with excellent music (the orchestral "remaster" or whatever is SO GOOD), great Toriyama characters and monsters, and more. My history with the series isn't the most in-depth by far, since I've only played a handful of others outside of 3 and 8, but I have every reason to believe 11 will rekindle my love and make me feel like a dumb teenager again.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Thanks for the chance and offer!

JRPGs are my favorite genre, and with DQ being one of the most iconic and to this day classic JRPGs I simply have to play it. While I gave DQ a chance already on the 3DS especially - started both 7 and 8 -, I couldn't really get into it. Somehow it didn't grab me like I hoped it would.

With DQ 11 this seems to change. I was looking forward to it since announcement, more so with the plans of releasing it on the 'NX'. I played the Demo and I really like the music, visuals, the gameplay and the story-setup so far. And I think the latter is also what I'm looking forward to the most. The characters and their narrative frame seem really engaging to me and I'm excited to see where they go from the end of the Demo version. I'm also looking forward to going more in-depth with the skill system and diving deep into the battle mechanics.
If the locations keep up in terms of visuals / setting and music from what the Demo has shown me so far, then I'm very optimistic that this will turn out as one of my all-time favorites on the Switch and in the JRPG genre overall.

So, yeah, after having finished the Demo I'm eagerly waiting for the full game release. Test of patience, really, haha.

Kanzeon

Oct 25, 2017
First off, thanks a ton for the giveaway OP.

I'm interested in DQXI S because despite being a long-time JRPG fan I haven't given Dragon Quest much of chance historically, and although I could get the game on other platforms, the Switch is really convenient for me to play games, especially long JRPGS, so I'd like to give the series a chance with XI S.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
This is nice of you and thanks for giving me a chance at winning a copy!

Back as a child, I was only able to choose one system to play video games on. This was during the N64/PS2 era. I was dead set on getting Dragon Quest VIII with a PS2. I thought it was the coolest thing ever due to the graphics, the scope of the game and how great the turn-based battle system looked. I loved the designs of the characters and especially the monsters. However, my dream of owning the game and system came to a halt. My cousin conceived me to go for the N64 since we could play Smash Bros together. Now I have always been close to my cousin so I agreed. I always regretted my decision. ( still loved smash and the N64!)

I wound up playing a good majority of the Dragon Quest spin-offs. Rocket Slime was one of the very first video game purchases I made from my first job. I invested countless hours in the Dragon Quest Monster Jokers games. I even got Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors as one of my first Wii games. Getting these games was always a challenge. For the longest time Dragon Quest never had any real shelf presence in my area. I would have to go out of town to find a copy of these games. I never understood why Final Fantasy took off compare to Dragon Quest. I always felt the monsters and overall feel of Dragon Quest was more entertaining. So since there was a lack of shelf space for it in my area, most kids that I interacted with never took an interested in Dragon Quest.

Now I know you may be asking yourself, "Why didn't you play any of the mainline DS/3DS remakes?" I did not play those for two main reasons. The first reason was I over exhausted myself by playing too many turn-based JRPGS back to back. The second might seem a bit silly, but it was really important to me that I play Dragon Quest VIII as my first mainline game. It was the main game that piqued my interest in the series. Two years ago I got out of my anti-turn-based JRPG funk and hunt down a copy of the 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VIII. I did every possible thing in that game, it was everything I thought it would be and more. It lived up to my childhood expectations and I was glad I was able to fulfill that small dream of mine. It also holds one of my latest favorite gaming memories of mine. I will always remember my reaction when I experienced the Puff Puff room for the very first time.

Playing Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS was the final nail in the coffin for my 3DS system. I was planning on picking up more of the DS/3DS remakes, but because of my 3DS dying, I was unable to do so. Hopefully, Square-Enix rereleases the mainline games on the switch. I will easily buy all of those. Seeing the Dragon Quest VIII costume in Smash for the hero alt ( WITH MUNCHIE!) and the costume for that game in XI S just makes me so hyped! I hope XI S is the game that shoots up Dragon Quest's popularity over here in the west, as it is far overdue.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I've always been a huge fan of JRPGs. I think the main aspect that draws me in is a story spanning multiple acts, a cast where every member gets their time in the limelight, and the fantastic worldbuilding that they provide. It's the closest thing I can get to an interactive book. That feeling of being lost in another world. Becoming so attached to the characters and the world that they inhabit that you get that feeling of emptiness when you finally finish the game and leave them behind. A feeling made exponentially more powerful from an interactive medium like games.

For a long time, I'd been searching for that feeling. I felt like it had been lost, somewhat, in the last generation of games, with true successors to the JRPGs of old being few and far between. For every Lost Odyssey, there were five or six mediocre games. Final Fantasy struggled. Star Ocean continued to plummet. Dragon Quest dropped the wonderfully colorful, established cast of VIII for a create-a-character adventure, on handheld... and then went to an MMO that was never translated. It was a bleak time to be a JRPG fan.

This gen has been different. Persona 5 was the return to form I was looking for. Xenoblade 2 brought an extremely creative and unique world to life. And Dragon Quest XI?

Man, Dragon Quest XI.

I had been longing to return to the "golden era" of JRPGs, but I had always tempered my expectations. Of course I would never return. Not really. Even those games' successors would have a modern sheen to them. Nobody can ever go back to the days of yesteryear, not unless they pick up the old rose tinted glasses and reminisce with others who were there. Or so I thought.

DQXI was a time machine. It brought me right back to those days of playing Lunar: Silver Star Story, or Suikoden, or Final Fantasy VII. A grand, sweeping adventure. Characters I grew to love. A good old fashioned turn based battle system. It had it all. But what it had most was the mood. It feels like a JRPG of the past made with modern technology. Not a modern sheen, like Persona 5 or Xenoblade 2. It was as if you had taken a dev team from 1999, transported them to the future, and put them to work with our tech. It was the perfect fusion of old and new, the evolution of the genre if it stayed as it had when I fell in love with it.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time I wanted to fully experience it when it released on PS4. I was living abroad, working all the time, and heavily involved with my local community. Games often fell to the wayside. I loved it, but I had obligations that made me put that love aside, even if I had been looking for it for so long. The woes of maturity. Oh, to be a kid again.

But now I'm back in America. I have more time. And what's more, the game is releasing again. In a more complete form! I finally have my chance to fully lose myself in those good old days again!

Thank you for reading, even if I don't win. I love to talk about the past.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm very interested in the game, unfortunately I'm way behind in playing DQ games, so I'll get this one in the future. Good luck to everyone participating!

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you for the giveaway!!!

I'm super excited to play the complete version of the game! I love Dragonquest in general, though my favorites are the Builders series, I have a lot of hope for this one from what I've seen. I also know a little bit about the party and I really can't wait to get to know them better!

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Wow nice and generous of you. I am excited for the game for multiple reasons. One reason is the portability. The second reason is I have been a Dragon Quest fan for a long time even buying all the DS/3D'S games even if I have no 3DS. So I feel I support the series enough. I still have 1-3 I wanted remade or remastered etc. But yeah when this version was announced I knew I had to prepare for it and make a jump to finally get a switch maybe that will happen if I win? And most people for pulled in by FE3H.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm interested in DQ as, for some reason, I've not found an entry point in the series so far. My little boy likes watching me play through jRPGs and this seems sufficiently voice acted enough for him to have a clue what is going on!

Keke094

Oct 31, 2017
Dragon Quest was such a big deal RPG for myself, like Popolocrois i adore it so much

My favorite Dragon Quest was V and also for Dragon Quest XI S is really amazed me, because its really have so much feature just like DQ VIII on 3DS ,but its now really where we can now see party member visible anywhere we go just like on 3DS version, and we finally have 2D mode, Dual Audio, party chat talk now not just like VIII i really enjoy party chat so much its really randomized talk wherever you go like on village,castle,dungeon, or talking to NPC party chat also recognized it this why i love this system when i was playing DQ V on DS, and what is interesting me aswell that erik/camus now have a new costume designed by Hiro Mashima from Rave Master series and Fairy tail, i remember i really loved Rave master so much its full of fantasy RPG, i didn't read fairy tail so much, its becoming more power of friendship while Rave is such a my most memorable manga i read by him. (i remember getting his monster hunter manga back then)

Dragon Quest XI is really RPG that still exists by now, there still lighthearted moment, as close why i love dragon quest so much its probably i liked RPG with heartwarming story just like PopoloCrois, Guardian's Crusade, Grandia, Final Fantasy IX, or Ni no Kuni. i only played Dragon Quest XI for 3DS with japan region, and played DQXI S demo, and also rest of series like Erdrick/Loto Trilogy, and Zenithia Trilogy on Mobile & NDS, and DQ VIII for 3DS, i haven't getting DQVII yet on 3ds.

and also every Overture in DQ Series was still amazing by now!

Plus this one Opening for Erdrick Trilogy really make me wish if that game have this graphics!

Nov 2, 2017
Ah thanks for the giveaway chance :) I suck at writing but I wanted to say that playing the demo was my first Dragon Quest experience and I wasn't sure was I gonna like it. But after 13 hours going through it together me and my husband loved it, specially the funny accents and the treasure hunting. Thanks again :D

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am sure there are many more people on here that have better reasons than me to win the game.. but hey I will give it a try anyway..
Last Dragon Quest I have played was the PS2 version of VIII, I remember I loved it back then, but I have never found the time to play the never games. But this new Switch version has me kind of excited, because it will be a game I can play on the go, and I am not taking away TV time from my kids and (more importantly) my wife.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really interested as it's a long running franchise for me, but it would be a totally new entry for my kids. My daughter in particular has never really played an RPG before, and this would be her first. She's expressed an interest in the genre now that she's older, and she can sit through longer games since shes a tween.

Plus it would be a game we could do a household play along with. Have my son, daughter, and I all play and share our personal stories around the dinner table!

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Man, my story with the franchise started with DQ4.. I only played for a couple of hours and I didn't like it at all.
It was the remake for Nintendo DS. I really liked the music and the good feel way of the game, but I couldn't care for the story.

Anyway, sometime later, I was seeing many threads here (the old Neogaf) speaking about how good DQ5 was. I decided to try the franchise again and what a difference it was. I was engaged as soon as I wass going to the waterfall. And when you become a slave..

DQ5 is easily one of the best games ever made. What an amazing amaaaaaaaazing game. After that, I played one game after the other.... 9, 7 and 8. However, I tried to play 4 again, but I never managed to make it far. I really just can't emphatize with the characters on that one.

Anyway, DQ is on a really different genre for me. It is unique! Dragon Quest is a RPG but it doens't want to be something crazy for hardcore gamers. It's a game about a journey but the moment to moment gameplay is about to make you feel good. Save the world and chill while you're doing it. Man, that music with the title screen makes me feel goosebumps. I really don't understand why no one can make something similar. Xenoblade now and then almost grasp that feeling, but it's not the same!

It's a quite strange feeling. Anyway, I LOOOOOOVE LOOOOOVE LOOOOOVE SO MUCH DQ. I hope that someday I will enjou DQ10. Please, choose me OT!

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ive been playing the demo thinking the game was already out!

After 14 hours in i have reached the end of the demo and am hungry for more!

Hook me up with a copy so i can continue my grand Adventure!

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Good news, everyone!

I'm giving away two digital copies of Dragon Quest XI S on Switch.

To enter, you must post in this thread and be interested in the game - why are you excited, interested in, looking forward to or curious about Dragon Quest XI S on Nintendo Switch?

Make your answer and post as detailed as possible - you must put effort in!

The two winners will be announced on September 28 at a random time during the day, as the game releases on the 27th in the US. Have fun and good luck!

GUEST_7cf5ea20-7a8b-44a4-9d82-8cf1a2813ea2

I'm interested to give it another go portably, to see the new story elements, and to play the 2D mode. Looks like the best version despite the graphics not being quite on par with PS4.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Hey, thank you so much for the generosity and opportunity you are giving us all! Hope we can repay you someday in any way!

I was always fascinated by this franchise and how it manage to escape from me. My only real contact with it was Dragon Quest 8 in the PS2. This was because I live in Brazil and games are hard here, the price and launch, we have to import most of them. This new digital age is a godsend to us but the prices don't help. But this series always grabbed my attention and was always in my wish lists.

Because of this I could not afford the game on PS4 and seeing all the improvements the Switch version brings to the table was mindblowing for me and a MUST HAVE. That being said, the price will never help me and I may only be able to buy it somewhat next year. It would be lovely to be awarded from you and I will certainly 100%'d this colossus of a game.

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Back in my youth, I played Dragon Quest 8. I had heard through locker-room talk about how popular Dragon Quest was in Japan and how old-school compared to the outrageosly flash Final Fantasy series it was. Being a bit of a pervert, that alluring mix of popularity and traditionalism tickled my fancy.

Oh did I like Dragon Quest 8. To say it was the bright cartoony visuals, the superb voice acting, the orchestral soundtrack or the story and gameplay elements that delighted me would be untrue. I really liked puff puff. Everyday after finishing school, I would rush home and turn-on (no pun intended) my PS2 and go for repeated sessions of puff puff. Soon it became routine. I would enjoy sessions of puff puff before leaving for school. While at school, I would think about puff puff. During those times I had great difficulty standing up. It soon led to a situation where I was quickly running out of gold. Then, I would grind desperately for gold by killing monsters and rush to get as many sessions of puff puff as I could.

As you are aware, this could not last. My time with Dragon Quest came to an abrupt end when I was discovered in situ during one of my sessions. Oh my, what a fuss that caused. Life took a bleak and hard turn into adulthood.

Until now, when I have the opportunity to play Dragon Quest 11 on my Switch. This will allow me to enjoy puff puff on the go, anywhere and any time I please. Now that the internet is more prevalent, I would like to share my sessions with like minded fellow travelers.

For most people the game gives the enjoyment of a quality RPG experience, but for me... for me, it gives erections.

Last edited:

Vade

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited because I started playing it on PS4 but it was grating to hear the MIDI music. I played through the demo and the orchestrated music just makes the game waaay better. I can't wait to play it and winning this would make it even sweeter!

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Good luck to everyone and bless you OP for such generous gifts.

Unlike a lot of people having history with the series I would like to start to get into it after falling in love with the demo, I know the huge past the series have but never had the chance to give it a shot for monetary reasons and what a better way to do it with what I've read is regarded as one of the best in the franchise, the music, the art style, characters design, the story, it all seems like such an amazing package that is nothing but the pinnacle of a turn based RPG game on what is also my very first Nintendo Console, to sink dozens or even hundred of hours in it since I'm a completionist type of person. And you have a trunks (best saiyan) look a like as the main protagonist so what else there is to like.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Hi

Im interested in the game since it was announced for the 3DS and I own other games in the series like DQ5(DS), DQ7(PS), DQ8(PS2,3DS) and DQ9 all physical and also own spinoffs like DQMJoker 2, Rocket Slime DS, Fortune Street and have enjoyed them all, but sadly Im not in a good place economically to buy DQ11 at release plus Im from Mexico so the game is even more expensive here so I would be very happy if I won a copy and I could play it.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I've been a fan of Dragon Quest (Warrior) since getting the first one with Nintendo Power. I have kind of fallen off with VII through IX and X never hit over here. Introduced my oldest to the series with Builders when it came out(even got the Slime and Metal Slime gum imported) and would love to share a mainline entry with her on our switch.

Thanks for the contest!

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a big fan of Dragon Quest ever since I was a kid with Dragon Warrior on the NES. I didn't own it then - my friend let me play at his house - and I was a little rubbish, haha. But I loved it nonetheless. Later in life, I rediscovered the series through Dragon Quest VIII, which was certainly a large jump compared to the NES game. I had a blast with this, and over time discovered further entries. Dragon Quest IV still stands as my favorite entry in the series, and Alena my favorite character. <3 I also grew attached to the Monsters series, ever since I got a free copy through a giveaway (how meta) of Dragon Warrior Monsters. It was a ton of fun, and I loved the fusion mechanic.

I've been interested in Dragon Quest XI due to how large scale it looks, and enjoying some of its designs such as Jade and Veronica. I actually bought it on sale on the PlayStation Network, but I sold my PS4 to my girlfriend in another state, so I've been missing out on it. As a result of that (and as a result of all of the new content to boot), I've been really interested in buying it again, though I gotta be mindful since I have to start saving up more for moving out and laser hair removal. It's a shame that I didn't get it with Vouchers sooner, RIP.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Well I'm interested because honestly I've never even played anything from the DQ series even though I tend to be really into (J)RPGs. Had my first taste of Final Fantasy this year as well with VII and it was super rewarding and I've heard very good things about this game for the most part. Only thing that turns me off is the music but it seems somewhat better with the Switch version. Also I reckon it'll be a good time to start a long game around then as I finished up with FE:TH recently. Thanks for doing this!

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I don't have any experience with the mainline DQ series— I played DQM way back on the DS, and more recently a bit of DQH on the PS4 after enjoying Hyrule Warriors. In a world where the pre-release press cycles of games tends to spoil a great deal of my experiences, the DQ XI S demo brought me back to the glory days of picking up a game knowing absolutely nothing about it, and falling in love. Without the ability to take it on the go, I wouldn't ever commit to a game this large these days, so I largely ignored it on release last year. Playing through the demo, I was impressed by the production values (as a primarily Nintendo player, voice acting feels like such a luxury, lol) and how much of a celebration it feels like for the series rich history. I'm glad to see classic gameplay principles so authentically represented in a AAA game like this, especially after my not so great experiences with recent titles such as FF XV.

Long story short, I was sold after just an hour with the demo and will be picking the game up regardless someday no doubt. Thanks for the contest OP, I hope whoever wins pays it forward in some way! Here's hoping this release is as impactful as many of Nintendo's recents in establishing a western audience.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Wow, that's nice :)
Growing up my fist contact with DQ was an Saturday morning anime, Dragon Quest: The adventure of Dai.
I loved that show and was pretty upset when it ended abruptly.

Fast forward some years, I discovered that this anime was based on a manga that was based on a videogame.
Around this time I read the entire manga and played the first 3 DQ games and fell in love with this world.

Then life happened, DQ and I went separate ways for many years, (I played more FF and DQ was not that strong in the West)

That was when I first saw a video from DQ XI, and holy shit, that was what I dreamed when I read the manga and watched the old show, I knew that I had to play this game.

I do have an unfinished save on PS4, but it's pretty difficult to sit and ok lay with my kid growing up (he's almost 2).

So a NSW version would be the best, as I could play quick sessions.

Fun fact: I know most people trash the MIDI music, but when my kid was younger and heard the overworld theme of XI, he used to "dance" , because of this I'll always hold this that version lol

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The first time I even gained passing interest in this game was reading a resetera thread about how poorly Dragonquest advertises some of its best art work. After seeing how terrifying or beautiful some of the later stage enemies can be I said to myself I'll atleast pay attention to some news about Dragonquest.

That lead to me getting exposed to the Tim Roger's review.

I strongly recommend watching any of Tim Rogers reviews because they are funny as hell and this one delivers throughout the 36 minutes. Very rare to find comedy in gaming culture this good and consistent throughout a watch or play.

After that I was paying mild attention to Dragon Quest XI itself and I started to like all the little details I learned from this e3 like 2D mode and full orchestra renditions. At that point I was convinced that I should buy this and it was only a matter of should I get it at launch or during the dead month of January.

When Ori and the Blind Forest release date was announced for Switch, Dragonquest was slated to be purchased in January but the following day I got around to playing the demo and I fell in love with this game that was further amplified with my frustrations with playing Final Fantasy XII. Dragonquest reminded me how fun old school style RPGs can be and with Akira's art direction and the full orchestra everything comes across as so damn charming and whimsical.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for your kindness.

I'm a die hard JRPG fan. I always wanted to play them since the 5th gen era, but I'm the youngest of my siblings and had no opinion among my siblings to get the games. Same happened during the 6th era. Skipped 7th gen since I was too broke to get a console. Now, I'm really thirsty for JPRGs and really want to play DQXI on PS4 but my console isn't working for now since my nephew hit it very hard. Now is my first long-awaited chance is to play DQ on my Switch. I really want to play it and experience this beautiful game with better music.

Last edited:

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cool giveaway!

I'm really interested in Dragon Quest XI S, I love Toriyama's art and the Dragon Quest series in general, I also think this game is looking amazing! I have played the demo on the Switch and loved it. I would especially love to play this on the Nintendo Switch because of the handheld possibility. I have to commute every day for a little over 2 hours so this game would be perfect for me to play on the train. With all of the content that's in the game it will probably keep me busy during my commutes for a very long time, and I can't wait to do just that!

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to DQ11, but I'm short on money so it will be hard to justify the purchase.
As a huge JRPG fan, espically clasic ones, I was planning to get the game for quite some time. Unfortunately I didn't have enough to play it last year and then I heard about the switch version.

It seens to fix the only really problem of the original game: the music. With that issue removed, it sounds like the ideal game for me. I avoided spoilers so far so I just got to belive all the people that say the character etc are great.
Defiently want to play it on hard (or whatever it is called) to get the most out of the combat system. I'm a big fan of games like Bravely Default that really show how deep and as a result fun turn-based combat can be.
I'm hoping for a similar experince with this game.

There is a good chance it will become one of my favorite game and I'm always looking a game that impress me like this. Even if I don't end up like it quite as much, I'm sure to have a great time with it.

Edit : having now played the demo, I can say the game exactly what I wanted it to be.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Im interested in this game because it would be my first Dragon Quest. For some reason I like RPGs but never gravitated to the Dragon Quest Series. I love traditional rpgs as well. Chrono Trigger being a common favorite. I downloaded the game on Switch and liked what I saw in the demo. It's very traditional and that's fine. The plot twist early was an odd mix of surprising and obvious lol. I really want to see where the story goes as the trailer after that jump was amazing. One thing that bothered me is the lack of a real name for the hero but thats minor. The game looks georgeous on switch, which is why I shed a tear when people complain about switch port graphics. Worse looking but functional games is exactly what I want from ports. The switch has so many games I struggle to think how im gonna afford all of them, which is why winning this would be nice. Thanks for doing this as well.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XI has been of interest to me ever since it first came out on the PS4. Hearing all of the praise the game got had me checking for a Switch version (I don't own a PS4) and that was when I realized I was in for a long wait. Over that time my interest died off but in recent months I started reading the Dragon Quest Manga and I was interested again. I have only played Dragon Warrior on the GBC and it remains on of the only "real" JRPGs I have beaten. The Dragon Quest world is so cool and I love all of the side games like Builders and Rocket Slime, but I just suck at JRPGs. Hearing that this is one of the easiest Dragon Quest games to date makes it sound like the perfect time to take another run at it.

That all said, we are coming up on a busy month if games so I imagine someone else here will get much more near term joy out of it than I would. I am looking forward to Zelda in a couple weeks so I doubt I would be able to dedicate any time to Dragon Quest until October.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Dragon Quest as a series is the pinnacle of quality and consistence that should serve as an example of how to handle an IP to the entire gaming industry. Each new entry is like visiting an old friend you didn't see for the last one or two years: there's so much that's new in each other's life and yet there a familiarity in the dynamics that is so reassuring. You reminisce fondly of old memories while also being eager to know what's new. You miss being together when they're gone, but when you're together is like you've never been apart.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Really cool of you to do this!

Admittedly life has been a blur these last few years so long form JRPGs have been out of my reach in terms of free time. I've always been of the mind that if I start something I must commit and fully as possible and really invest in getting lost. My love of Toriyama's art style stretches back to the 80s when I was a little kid. I just liked the melding of cute of exaggerated with a bit of darkness. That love informed my interest in Dragon Quest which I would rent from the local video store. I must have rented 'Dragon Warrior' a skillion times.

I would position the box art in front of me as I played. As the series evolved as much as DQ can evolve I appreciated the lighter tone and sense of humor that seemed to permeate each experience. The last JRPG I played was Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I think a lot of that spirit and the dichotomy of dark serious vs lighthearted were the reasons I was so rapt. My house is bustling and I'm always nervous/hesitant about playing a long form RPG and monopolizing the main TV. A portable version of a game all my peers tell me is excellent would be great. I could play whenever I wanted without the guilt. So yeah. That is my story. Thanks for reading.

RusselUp

Oct 31, 2017
Haven't played through DQ XI yet and the S enhancements sound pretty amazing. Would love to try!

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Dragon Quest XI S is so exciting for me because it's the most lush and cozy game I've ever seen. The Dragon Quest games at their core are easygoing adventures, and I feel that XI (at least from what I've played) is the most well-crafted entry yet. XI seems to most accurately capture the essence of what makes Dragon Quest. So I'm looking forward to the many days when I can spend an hour or two basking in that familiar, warm DQ atmosphere while tucked into bed after a long day.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy.

I have never played a Dragon Quest game before. I've always heard about it since I grew up playing Final Fantasy games but even though I loved Crono Trigger and Final Fantasy and Dragon Ball Z I never actually owned a console, that was my older brother's thing and so I was always the handheld child, and a generation behind most of the time anyway. Over time I forgot that the DQ series existed, and it wasn't until I saw Tim Rogers review for DQ11 that I remembered this art style, this fantasy world, these cool monsters and character designs that I was really interested in. But what was most appealing was the method in which Tim described playing these games. "After a shower/bath, before sleeping for about an hour. Dragon Quest is a bed time story" And I feel like that's what I need in my life right now. I'm a house-husband and spend most of my day cooking, cleaning, running errands, programming on the side and working part time on top of that. I've started to let games slip by me but I feel like my life would really improve with the de-stress bed time story of Dragon Quest each night.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who wanted to play the 3DS version, and still does, I will admit this version looks like a pretty good compromise between PS4 and 3DS.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
9NYzMAM.jpg

Edit: this is my entry, in case that wasn't clear! haha

Last edited:

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
To enter, you must post in this thread and be interested in the game - why are you excited, interested in, looking forward to or curious about Dragon Quest XI S on Nintendo Switch?

Make your answer and post as detailed as possible - you must put effort in!

The two winners will be announced on September 28 at a random time during the day, as the game releases on the 27th in the US. Have fun and good luck!

Deadline: September 26th @ 11:59pm EST

I'll let others win this contest since I already own the PS4 game, but maaaaaaaaybe move the "drawing" results to earlier than the 28th considering that many people will likely preorder before then. ;)

Ygqora

Feb 5, 2018
Thank you for offering a giveaway like this, it's really nice! I've never played a dragonquest game before, but I've really been wanting to try this one. It's a series that I always wanted to try, especially since I have a huge love of JRPGs but I was just never able to get every game I wanted. I played the demo and loved it, but i'm not sure when I would be able to get it. Money's tight and there's a bunch of games left for this year that I really want , with the only one preordered being Luigi's Mansion, so it may be some time before I can get any of the others.

I do think this would be a great chance to get into DQ because I absolutely love JRPGs when they're on handhelds and I've been using the switch as a way to get into a few long running series' that I've been wanting to try (SMT V is another one I will be using as a series intro.) So this is worth a shot.

Oct 31, 2017
Lifelong RPG fan but have never played any Dragon Quest games - I didn't really like the first person view of the battles in the older titles.... not sure why. However, I heard great things about XI, but never had the space to play it between cost and other releases - but I played the demo for the switch and it was like slipping in to a warm bath my god. Can't wait to get more. Cruelcumbers might just be my favorite enemy design even. Half cucumber half ruthless killing machine? Sign me up!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While I have only completed one Dragon Quest game (V on the DS), I own several titles. Dragon quest is often daunting to me with how long the games are but I like the settings. Hopefully one day I will beat all of them (expect for X of course)

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a good JRPG in ages, this one looks fantastic (haven't played a DQ game since like 3 hahaha), and I need a reason to dust off my Switch. Simple enough.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played one traditional DQ game and that was DQ8 on the PS2. Since the PS2 era my taste in games has changed and I've fallen off JRPG's. I still have fond memories of DQ8, though, and after playing the demo for DQ11 it just might be the game to get me back into the genre. I've always enjoyed the whimsical and colorful world of DQ (which is why I've dabbled in some of the spin-off's) and love that they've stuck to turn-based combat when so many games have moved away from it. I'll most likely be picking the game up regardless of how this thread turns out but it would sure be nice to win a copy! Thanks for your generosity.