• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it but lol i dont know if i have the time or energy to play it again its such an all consuming game, think it took me like 6 months to finish it first time around

Sep 14, 2018
Such a shame they kept the Switch's graphics.
I think it's because the switch version uses a different engine but I don't remember.

Anyway, it's such a stylized game does it really matter that it looks a little worse sometimes? I'd trade marginally better graphics on a freaking cartoon game for the orchestral soundtrack any day.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth playing it in 2-D if I have already beat it in 3-D?

does the PS4 get a new separate trophy list? Like Persona 5 and Person 5: R?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I did play Dragon Quest IX on handheld for a few hours and loved Dragon Quest Monsters in its various iterations as a kid and later on the DS family of systems. But this will feel like the first 'proper' singleplayer Dragon Quest game ever for me. I think I'll play on Draconian difficulty. Great to have the series finally on Xbox, too! I think the improvements in content warrant the slightly worse graphics, though I do wish Square-Enix had gone an extra mile in their efforts there.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
So this is day one on gamepass then ? Definitely a game I'd never buy but as it's going on there I'll pre download it later !

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
This game still looks really good with the res bump from the Switch, and playing in 60 FPS makes everything so smooth. Adding in the new content and QoL improvements and this is really the best way to play.

JRPG of the decade IMO.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That sounds awesome!!!

If I end up getting the game eventually (pouring through the back log right now), I think I'll play with the following debuffs activated:
- No armor upgrades
- No XP from weaker enemies
- Super strong enemies
- Game over if the lead character dies

That should make it more of a glass cannon type adventure that still allows me to purchase (non armor) gear in shops. I cannot stand playing easy games, so thanks for the link!

Just a heads up, simply turning on stronger monsters is still pretty challenging (with a few bosses being total brick walls you'll need to grind a bit for), and upgrading (and collecting) gear is really addictive and fun. You can turn on as many as you want and toggle them off as you go, but the armor one is more for special challenge runs for either the masochistic or those who have already beat the game and want to see if that's even possible.

The EXP one and the hero death = game over are both fine, even though combat is very RNG so you might find that more frustrating than anything if a boss decides your hero is looking like a snack.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
That sounds awesome!!!

If I end up getting the game eventually (pouring through the back log right now), I think I'll play with the following debuffs activated:
- No armor upgrades
- No XP from weaker enemies
- Super strong enemies
- Game over if the lead character dies

That should make it more of a glass cannon type adventure that still allows me to purchase (non armor) gear in shops. I cannot stand playing easy games, so thanks for the link!
I would seriously reconsider disabling armor/weapon upgrading. The associated minigame is a really fun feature of the game.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder if the series x framerate bumps will kick in. excited to jump in and have something to consume my time for the holidays

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing it on XSX Gamepass. I put about 200 hours into the game on Switch and I'll gladly play it again.

watham

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama, USA
Do the new enhancements greatly speed up the experience? I think I dumped 120 hours into the first round, IDK if I can do that again but I want to replay so bad.

WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who wants to play on game pass remember that tomorrow new subscribers get 3months for $1 instead of the usual 1 month.

this will be my first DQ. Can't wait.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Man, having played the original, really torn whether I should play this in 2D mode or not...

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playable on gamepass. It looks less colorful than in PS4 and ... a lot of shimmering. It's strange. Playing on serie x. Does it have cross save ? Can I play on Xbox and my laptop ?

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Switch version and still undecided if I should get the new version coming out tomorrow. It would be the PS4 one. It is still unclear what benefits there are, besides having 60 FPS. Obviously it would also have trophies.

I am still a DQ XI virgin. I did play the Switch demo last year and enjoyed it a great deal, so definitely plan on playing the game. Just isn't something I've gotten to yet (my backlog is huge).

What I do plan on trying is harder monsters, EXP cap and no buying armor/items. Looking forward to the challenge.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Since I was already banned for giving my opinion about the devs keeping the Switch graphics I won't go down that path again. Any word on the modding project someone mentioned in the demo thread to mod the pc graphics into the new pc version of the game?

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Looking forward to playing it. I started playing on Steam, but the English V/O was kinda turn-off for me and I dropped it after reaching the protag's old hometown.

I'm secretly hoping there's a workaround to play it with Japanese text.

Quoting myself in case someone wants to play this game in full Japanese.

I was able to download and play the native Japanese version (text, UI, VO, voice drama, everything in Japanese) by simply changing the console's system locale to Japan.

FYI.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was contemplating just playing th OG version I have digitally because the S version looks noticeably worse to me (shimmer! Shiiiimmmmmer!) but 60fps and play anywhere saved for for me on gamepass since I can play on my PC in the bedroom and on the SX downstairs.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just booted on my laptop

1080p, max graphics settings, 120fps cap that's held to perfectly, and SSD load times. Whew, and I thought Switch play was the best I was ever gonna get for DQXI.

I am aware that assets took a hit to quality versus the original release since this is a port of the Switch version, but still a considerable upgrade visually and otherwise over Switch on my gaming laptop. Since I've played the original and the Switch version, I'm not over-eager to start diving into this version really hard right now but still thought it was nice to give a quick spin with via Game Pass.

Sep 22, 2019
Man, I wanted to like this game, but the silent protagonist and the cookie-cutter plot just doesn't cut it after coming from playing the Trails Series.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing more satisfying in video games than running over enemies on your horse and getting free XP

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
This game still looks really good with the res bump from the Switch, and playing in 60 FPS makes everything so smooth. Adding in the new content and QoL improvements and this is really the best way to play.

JRPG of the decade IMO.
Completely in this camp as well. I have 25hrs in to the original release on Steam and stopped once the rumour mills began circling on a DQXI S port heading to PC. I'm excited for the new content and the QoL improvements were great to experience in the demo. Would love to receive a 3DS localisation in tandem, but beggars cannot be choosers. However I did notice that there didn't appear to be any texture downgrades on the characters - I would be keen for a further analysis on this for PC.

My only downfalls are wishing the draw distance extent was larger (a great reference point is the very beginning of the game at Cobblestone Tor entrance, looking back at the gathering villager positions) and some of the ground clutter better appreciated. I'm expecting solutions to be provided by the usual fan circles so they aren't game breakers.

And to be honest, as much as I enjoyed the vanilla voice acting... it "feels" better with JP voices. Plus it's interesting to hear the subtle differences between what is being said and what is being written in English.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded the game on PC gamepass. Never finished the Switch version despite making it pretty far into the game but I might just replay it again on PC because it runs so smooth at 120 fps with gsync!

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Man, I've been looking forward to playing this for quite awhile, but I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to play it. I'm already trying to get through my PS5 games, I have a few PS4 games to finish, and Cyberpunk is coming out next week!