• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope enterprising modding peeps manage to figure out how to put some of the older visual assets into the Steam version, but until then I'll have it on Gamepass.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great scores for an absolutely fantastic game.
DQ11 is one of the best games of the last gen and I only played the original PS4 release even.
Some of the changes for the S version are huge QoL improvements that make an already fantastic game even better.
If you are in the mood for a great, cozy RPG adventure give this one a shot (especially since it's also on Gamepass, man, what a deal).

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'm playing this now cause of Gamepass.

MS has absolutely ruined my backlog with GP, I'll never escape.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's not that big. Just a bunch of spoiled brats trying to make a point. The game is great. If you like turn based games, you will be in heaven.

...really? "Spoiled brats"?

It isn't the end of the world but it's definitely disappointing and makes the "definitive edition" moniker seem like false advertising, considering what that typically means.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Yes, with the draconian settings but that's been there in every version.
attackofthefanboy.com

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition: How To Turn On Draconian Quest Mode | Attack of the Fanboy

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition has now arrived on the Nintendo Switch with not only new features, but everything the
I can't say I recommend these settings for someone playing through the first time.

I groaned loudly the first time it happened. Luckily he's a great character otherwise, but that particular bit

Draconian Quests, selectable at the start, can give you tougher enemies, much lower XP from easy monsters, etc, watch I don't think is new, but it is there. You can also impose challenges on yourself pretty easily, you're rarely required to gear up in a specific way.
That sounds awesome!!!

If I end up getting the game eventually (pouring through the back log right now), I think I'll play with the following debuffs activated:
- No armor upgrades
- No XP from weaker enemies
- Super strong enemies
- Game over if the lead character dies

That should make it more of a glass cannon type adventure that still allows me to purchase (non armor) gear in shops. I cannot stand playing easy games, so thanks for the link!

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Looking forward to playing it. I started playing on Steam, but the English V/O was kinda turn-off for me and I dropped it after reaching the protag's old hometown.

I'm secretly hoping there's a workaround to play it with Japanese text.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sort of confused. I get this is the updated Switch h version but I heard awhile ago that it will not be graphically updated. So will the game look exactly the same on my Switch opposed to my PS5? Don't really care about the portability factor.

Oct 25, 2017
Loaded up the demo on PS4 and was a bit underwhelmed graphically. I might have to download the original to see if my memory is just all wonky. I do wish they have a discount to those who had the OG version, the QoL stuff is wonderful. Portability is nice on the switch but running at 60 is real nice so kinda torn, might finish my switch game in the 2D mode and start anew on Xbox, I guess?

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sort of confused. I get this is the updated Switch h version but I heard awhile ago that it will not be graphically updated. So will the game look exactly the same on my Switch opposed to my PS5? Don't really care about the portability factor.
It'll run at a much higher resolution and 60 fps but it's still based off of the Switch version's assets.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
The assets are the same, but PS5 will run much sharper (Switch was under 1080p and it was pretty obvious,) and at 60 fps (not so important in a turn based RPG, but still very nice.) Mind, I played it on Switch, exclusively on my TV, and I loved it anyway, so it'll be that much nicer on a PS5, but definitely no worse. If you haven't played the original version, you won't know the difference, really

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Hearing about the downgrades, I watched a great comparison video of the old and new version on the PS4 in this post. Honestly, it wasn't as bad as it sounds on paper, but you can really see the differences in that one cave-running sequence where the lighting effects look really nice in the original, but are absent in the "definitive" version. The grass also is reduced and downgraded too. I'll still likely pick it up since it has the difficulty modifiers in it to add a challenge.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really about to play a 100+ hour game for the third time.. sounds about right, lol.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Reviewing pretty well. I've been playing it for months on the Switch and I will not argue it's done quite well, I've never played a game that's so easy to put down and walk away from. Something about it isn't....exciting to play? Maybe I'm growing past turn based games or maybe it's too easy on the normal setting or something but...I wish I was loving it more.
Edit: The orchestral music is way better than the midi but man the amount of tracks is so small

You just described my exact feelings about this game. I really don't think it's a turn based thing, I've always been drawn to turn based RPGs.

Oct 25, 2017
90+ like the Switch version. Please buy this everyone.

Nope.

I bought the Ps4 version.

This game is a slog. Put 15 hours in and I was done.
The battle system is just so old. I can't take it anymore. Nothing about it engages me, and having to put 60+ more hours into it felt like nightmare fuel.

Genuinely never buying another dq game if the combat is the same. Not for me anymore.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I'm 30 hours into this game on switch right now and it's my favorite rpg I have played of this generation, and quickly becoming an all time experience.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This will be my first DQ experience and a welcome switch in tone playing CP 2077 beside it. Thank god for this forum or I would have missed it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
My first Dragon Quest game too. Would never have bought this, so Gamepass has come good for me once more.

Will play after Cyberpunk 2077

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody knows if there's going to be cross saves between Xbox and PC? I would rather play on the Xbox when I get my hands on one, but I'm hoping in the meantime I can play in the PC without losing that progress.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see it reviewing so well! Original version on PS4 was one of my favorites of that year. Bought it again on Switch (still in the shrinkwrap), which is the version I'll play when I eventually feel the desire to play through it again.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You just described my exact feelings about this game. I really don't think it's a turn based thing, I've always been drawn to turn based RPGs.
I just don't get it. It's like, I almost feel like everything about the game is fine. Nothing about it is great. Maybe that's it? Because nothing about it stands out it isn't exciting to want to play and get back into.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really about to play a 100+ hour game for the third time.. sounds about right, lol.
I'm right there with you lol. Beat it on the PS4 and then again on the Switch Lite. Since I got rid of my Switch, I need this on the PS4 again. This game is the ultimate comfort food game, which is something I sorely need right now.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
One of the most overrated games, IMO.
It's a slog to play through, and the OST is torturously bad.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds awesome!!!

If I end up getting the game eventually (pouring through the back log right now), I think I'll play with the following debuffs activated:
- No armor upgrades
- No XP from weaker enemies
- Super strong enemies
- Game over if the lead character dies

That should make it more of a glass cannon type adventure that still allows me to purchase (non armor) gear in shops. I cannot stand playing easy games, so thanks for the link!
Keen to hear how you go with those settings. As no armour mixed with no Xp from lower level enemies could be interesting.

As someone who played through on ps4 then switch I did find the game had definitely not been balanced around certain modifiers (these were not in the initial japanese release Ithink).
And the game goes through weird ups and downs of difficulty where at the start you do need to grind and always have the latest items equipped, since you don't have a full party and can get randomly curb stomped if you have bad luck. To battles being way too too easy after the start for long periods of time to encountering a boss that if things go their way can crush your party.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Nope.

I bought the Ps4 version.

This game is a slog. Put 15 hours in and I was done.
The battle system is just so old. I can't take it anymore. Nothing about it engages me, and having to put 60+ more hours into it felt like nightmare fuel.

Genuinely never buying another dq game if the combat is the same. Not for me anymore.
When the game first came out, I put 30 hours into it then learned about the hard mode and stopped and restarted. Stopped after 2 hours in Draconian mode.

It took me a whole year to start the game over and when I was ready I put over 280 hours into it and only one trophy away from the platinum.

The beginning of most rpgs are slogs. You haven't even scratched the surface of where the combat takes you.

Best rpg in years, w or j.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
I actually bought the original for the PS4 but never got around to play it. Now I'll play it on PC. Game Pass for the fucking win.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I was a bit hesitant to pick this up due to the whole switch port thing but having never played the original PS4 version and since checking out the demo a while back I'm completely sold. Yes it would have been better if it was a native PS4 version but eh what can you do.

nath999

May 7, 2018
I just don't get it. It's like, I almost feel like everything about the game is fine. Nothing about it is great. Maybe that's it? Because nothing about it stands out it isn't exciting to want to play and get back into.

That is exactly it, it's just OK. I want to like it as much as other people seem to but nothing about the game from story, characters, dialogue stand out to me.

I got pretty much to the end of the game but for whatever reason I just put it down and didn't really care to get back into it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is kinda sad tbh. On the 3ds version these Quests were available in 3D too. :(
yeah, and they looked pretty cool too. i guess upgrading the assets for the quests from 7-10 would have been a lot of work if they wanted them to look good in HD.
in the 3DS version their goal was for the quests to replicate the look of the original games, so some were 8bit 2D, some 16bit 2D and some had the look of the DS/3DS 3D games. here they went for a uniform 16bit 2D look.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Despite it being on Gamepass. Kind of tempted to just buy it on Xbox in the vain hope we get more.
The hero we need 🙏 lol but for real I think even downloading/playing from Game Pass will tell them all they need to know.

I gotta believe from here on out Philip has lobbied for most JRPGs to come to Xbox.
Hopefully it'll be on game pass long enough for me to beat yakuza and cyberpunk.
SAME. But Game Pass contracts have been historically 6/12 months no? Should be lots of time...I hope lol.

Side note: I wonder if anyone is keeping track of games' "time on Game Pass" in like a database or something?
Guess I'm saying this now cause of Gamepass.

MS has absolutely ruined my backlog with GP, I'll never escape.
Just keeps growing man.

Holidays are coming just in time.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I have never played Dragon Quest, but wow, I will try this one.
Thanks, Gamepass :D

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I've put about 170 hours into the Switch version (still not 100% though), can't recommend it enough.
I wish the main Pokémon games would at least approach its overall quality.

I might even consider to double dip on the PS4 version. And I'll probably replay it in 2D mode at some point :)

Jun 13, 2020
Yes, with the draconian settings but that's been there in every version.
attackofthefanboy.com

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition: How To Turn On Draconian Quest Mode | Attack of the Fanboy

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition has now arrived on the Nintendo Switch with not only new features, but everything the
I can't say I recommend these settings for someone playing through the first time.
Why is that?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Is it crazy I'm waiting for a switch pro to bump up performance before I play my sealed copy?

Kudos to Sony and Ms getting to play this version.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Graphical downgrade makes this hard to swallow despite the game being a top-tier JRPG of this console generation

The lighting is just worse and the meshes are lower quality, it makes it difficult for me to accept as the definitive version

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Playing it would probably be just as good an indicator for Capcom.

Yeah I think game pass users playing the game will be used to gauge interest.

Given the other threads about Okami and Ace Attorney having low sales on Xbox, it seems that game pass could be a good way for Japanese devs to make money on Xbox. It also allows Xbox to grow interest in Japanese games on the platform.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Is it noticeable if you've never played the OG ps4 version?

no not at all

it's only when you play them side by side - worse lighting and lower poly meshes. Aesthetically, the game also has less of the 'golden lighting' that the PS4 / PC version has (a visual effect that I really liked and made the game stand out more)

Sep 14, 2018
If you're a JRPG vet I'm sure it's no trouble and this is just my opinion but...

The beginning of the game is a little slow and can be hard to get into because the combat system doesn't have many options yet and you haven't met most characters, turning on super strong monsters will make things progress more slowly toward all the freedom and good stuff.

They can be turned off but not turned back on so anyone can start with them just to try and people looking for a challenge will definitely find one. Personally I thought the default difficulty was good enough. Especially post game enemies, they do not need any help.