• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Gave me the option to start with 2d mode on the demo?
Did it let you play in 2d mode? When I tried picking that option is said only 3D mode was available for the demo.
The biggest feature of the Switch version is the game actually being on Switch.

There is plenty of footage of the Switch 2D Mode out there.
I always prefer to play something myself rather than watching a video. Get a better feel for it and all that.

I already played through the game on PS4 and could care less about it being on Switch other than the 2d mode.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Did it let you play in 2d mode? When I tried picking that option is said only 3D mode was available for the demo.

I always prefer to play something myself rather than watching a video. Get a better feel for it and all that.

I already played through the game on PS4 and could care less about it being on Switch other than the 2d mode.
Sure,
but anyway you know how it looks (plenty of 3DS/Switch footage) and how its gonna play (traditional DQ).

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, the orchestral score, the small changes, the big changes, how good it looks and feels, this will be one of the better games this year, for sure.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it day 720p-900p? Are they claiming that this is dynamic 900p, rather than expected dynamic 720p?

Would explain why docked is so damned beautiful.
This is not my video, but he uses those numbers to indicate variable resolution, for example in his yoshi crafted word video he claims portable (396-432p) and docked (648 - 720p) so i guess dynamic 900p for DQ.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was expecting a little pain in handheld move after some of the impressions here, but after sinking over 100 hours into handheld Xenoblade, the resolution and IQ on this game is fucking gorgeous in handheld. I have no idea what anyone is complaining about.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Can the demo carry over to the main game? Would hate to play 10 hours then replay the 10 hours again if I like it

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You mean just like the Xbox version where gameplay was 60fps and cutscenes 30?

Where's the downgrade?

No, what I meant was this.

The Ori trailer was completely messed up, the problem was that it used scenes in 60fps and 30fps and they switched around constantly. I noticed this immediately and thought (my bad) that these are slowdowns. Instead that people answered with "Hey, you're right, something is odd with the trailer", they answered with
"What are you talking about, it's completely 60fps" (lol) or
"Hey I think it isn't even in 60, it's completely in 30 at the moment" (lol) until someone wrote "Hey, I think I know what's going on, it looks like that separate scenes are in 60 and some in 30 but no slowdowns". And that was the problem.
Glad the game will be good.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 2 hours to reach the first big town, with all Draconian mods, it's a lot of Game Over and killing/healing after every fight.
Shypox is a bit too much.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
What the... what ?
It looks amazing in portable mode. I actually thought it looked even crisper.
I'm probably gonna play the all game that way.

It looks surprisingly good in docked mode, was really surprised here, be wise some areas like the mountain area seems to be 900p, but handheld is just blurry.

Tried the demo, looks good but blurry.

Game is a little blurry on handheld

The blurriness is especially noticeable in people's faces. At even just a short distance they become a bit of a mess.

Early portable impressions:

-Blurry

Definitely blurry handheld

This is only a few of the postings that have referred to the blurriness. I'm not trying to troll, but just pointing out to you why I made the comment I did.

To be fair, a number of the comments also gave pluses, as well.

I will probably download it eventually, try it out and see for myself.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have footage of the faster battle speed option? Pretty much the only thing I'm missing from the PS4 version with this release, want to see if it's enough to jump :(

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
The orchestra soundtrack makes a HUGE difference, wow.

Yep. I'm up to the entrance of the Tor after the first fight, and the battle theme is outstanding.

I then watched the PS4 ENG version for comparison, OOF. Especially the flute, it's awful.

Fuck Sugiyama, but he is a gifted composer in terms of music, I'll give him that.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So they failed to make a hard difficulty with the Definitive Edition? That's so stupid. Draconian modifiers isn't the same, you can't turn it off for a boss battle and then turn it back on afterwards if you get stuck. It also makes a really long game even more tedious because of the insane health of mobs and reduced damage you do in draconian mode. How about a hard mode with slightly buffed HP/damage but the enemies act smarter?

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
So they failed to make a hard difficulty with the Definitive Edition? That's so stupid. Draconian modifiers isn't the same, you can't turn it off for a boss battle and then turn it back on afterwards if you get stuck. It also makes a really long game even more tedious because of the insane health of mobs and reduced damage you do in draconian mode. How about a hard mode with slightly buffed HP/damage but the enemies act smarter?

Sounds like they made a hard mode, but it's too hard for you? Maybe just play in normal.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they made a hard mode, but it's too hard for you? Maybe just play in normal.
The problem is there isn't a normal difficulty. The game is either ridiculously easy or way too hard. How about something in between, especially something that can be turned on and off. If you get stuck in Draconian mode and want to temporarily disable it, there is no going back to it. It was a HUGE complaint with the original game and with a total separate Definitive Release with new content, they had the perfect opportunity to address the complaint, which they didn't.

Oct 25, 2017
2D mode not in the demo? Looks like there's no chance me buying the game then. The only thing that would have gotten me to double dip is if 2D mode was what I wanted out of it and had the features, but without being able to try it out I can't see myself ever buying it. Does it have the new voices and portraits during battle, etc? How is the QOL? Given how often I bounce off of DQ games based on little QOL issues that are never discussed in reviews, it would have been nice to actually try the version of the game I was thinking of buying.

The problem is there isn't a normal difficulty. The game is either ridiculously easy or way too hard. How about something in between, especially something that can be turned on and off. If you get stuck in Draconian mode and want to temporarily disable it, there is no going back to it. It was a HUGE complaint with the original game and with a total separate Definitive Release with new content, they had the perfect opportunity to address the complaint, which they didn't.

I recommend against Draconian Mode in general, or do it for Act 1 and then drop it down. The slight amount it bogs down the game's pacing is a heavy toll once the game starts getting repetitive.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
2D mode not in the demo? Looks like there's no chance me buying the game then. The only thing that would have gotten me to double dip is if 2D mode was what I wanted out of it and had the features, but without being able to try it out I can't see myself ever buying it.
Sounds quite extreme - you could just watch a lets play or read a review.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuuucccckkk I already have anxiety about the skill paths. Any suggestions by PS4 version players? Just for Hero and Erik.

And yes, difficulty not being toggleable is stupid.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly so shocking how good this looks.

The anti aliasing is reeaaaaallly rough though. But you don't notice it in movement.

This now makes me think a port of KH3 is possible.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
Fuuuucccckkk I already have anxiety about the skill paths. Any suggestions by PS4 version players? Just for Hero and Erik.
I sent the hero down the two handed sword path and Erik down the dagger path. 2 handed swords deal more damage and not being able to equip shields isn't too big a tradeoff for the hero. Erik has a dagger skill the deals a lot of damage to enemies if they're paralysed or poisoned which worked out well for me when I played the PS4 version.

You can also reset the skill trees for a low cost at a goddess statue or church if you're unhappy with your selection

Status
Not open for further replies.