• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I played 10 hours of the PS4 version, so the demo would get me to where I was before? That's pretty darn great!

Gonna start playing the demo tonight!

Nov 15, 2017
Does the demo end where you can't play anymore (hard stop) or can you continue to explore a limited area?

The demo continues until you get your 4th party member and are about to go to the next area.

If you head to the next area you get an option that asks if you want to end the demo and create a save that gets you 3 seeds of skill in the main game or keep playing. If you choose to keep playing you can still run around in the previous areas. You can go back to that area whenever you want to choose to end the demo and get your seed save

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? The game card size has absolutely no bearing on the resolution.

The resolution is not determined by the card size, otherwise they would have made you download a part of the data. Resolution is determined by the max res that Switch can run the game at.

Ok, it sounded like due to the game being compressed on a smaller card size it was affecting the resolution of the game. Or at least the graphic quality of the game in general.

Either way, still undecided which version to go with.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, it sounded like due to the game being compressed on a smaller card size it was affecting the resolution of the game. Or at least the graphic quality of the game in general.

It's the other way around. The texture quality that they could realistically achieve on the Switch hardware is lower than on PS4, meaning smaller texture files which are easier to fit onto a game card.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Either way, still undecided which version to go with.
Is a slight improvement in graphics worth more than the numerous gameplay enhancements?

The PS4 version has worse music and less content

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
No, this DQ is probably one of the best jrpgs at not fucking you over with not being able to get an item, ect.. though I should warn you, I put at least 15-20 hours alone in just getting all of the material locations in the game and exploring, it is easy to get thrown off course even though it is not open world.

All of that is music to my ears (unlike the actual music in the game).

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Is a slight improvement in graphics worth more than the numerous gameplay enhancements?

The PS4 version has worse music and less content

I don't know, it's really hard to say how "slight" the difference is.

Anyone know what the resolution is supposed to be docked? That is the way I will be playing.

From what I am hearing, even in this thread, it is "blurry" in handheld mode. Even though I will be playing docked, that is not very encouraging.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
yes, that's all I used. If it gets too difficult you can turn it off as well but you can't turn it back on again, I played the whole game with that modifier and I loved it. Also there was a message all the time if you had a modifier on, you can turn it off in the settings.

The modifier message can be turned off? Just want to be clear because I'm probably doing "super strong monsters" instead of full draconian (if that's possible).

Oct 25, 2017
The modifier message can be turned off? Just want to be clear because I'm probably doing "super strong monsters" instead of full draconian (if that's possible).

yes, check the settings. I assume we're talking about how the "stronger monsters" is all day on screen by default if this is like the PC version.

I only did Super Strong Monsters, it's possible.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
yes, check the settings. I assume we're talking about how the "stronger monsters" is all day on screen by default if this is like the PC version.

I only did Super Strong Monsters, it's possible.

Great, thanks. Just one more question, if Super Strong Monsters is turned off later can it be re-enabled or is just permanently gone from your file once you turn it off like other Draconian settings?

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the word on docked mode? How does it look compared to PC/PS4? How is performance?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, it's really hard to say how "slight" the difference is.

Anyone know what the resolution is supposed to be docked? That is the way I will be playing.

From what I am hearing, even in this thread, it is "blurry" in handheld mode. Even though I will be playing docked, that is not very encouraging.

720p docked, probably dynamic. Compared to the PS4's 900p that's not too bad.

I thought it was like a Mario+Rabbids situation.

No, the opposite. M+R was published by Ubisoft everywhere but Japan, this game is published by Nintendo everywhere but Japan.

So what's the word on docked mode? How does it look compared to PC/PS4? How is performance?

Performance appears to be a pretty stable 30fps in all modes from what I can tell. Not sure if anyone else has had a different experience.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

720p (maybe dynamic?)/30 with a stable framerate from what I've seen. It doesn't look as good as PC/PS4 (obviously), lower res textures/aliased grass. There's the Gamescom video if you want to see what it looks like:

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
720p docked, probably dynamic. Compared to the PS4's 900p that's not too bad.

No, the opposite. M+R was published by Ubisoft everywhere but Japan, this game is published by Nintendo everywhere but Japan.

Performance appears to be a pretty stable 30fps in all modes from what I can tell. Not sure if anyone else has had a different experience.

Ahh gotcha, thanks.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
the octopath demo (the first one) was REALLY meaty too. i'm sure it was the biggest factor in the game's success.
I feel like JRPGs especially really benefit from meaty demos. The genre tends to require a certain degree of commitment before they open up and get engaging, so letting that opening stuff be free makes it way easier to get into.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I was roughly 6 hours into the PS4 version and stopped after reading about the midi soundtrack being replaced in the Switch version. That news alone made me willing to take a bit of a graphical hit, because the midi soundtrack is horrible. I'm going to go home tonight and fire this bad boy up, get as far as I can so I'm ready for release day.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Handheld looks like a shimmering mess. I wish they would just reduce the grass some more.

Performance seems ok so far. Can you do Draconian mode in the demo? edit: nvm found it

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
So after playing the demo i think this gonna be the first JRPG i try to 100% since P4 Golden.
Ultra-fast battle mode will be very helpful.

This game pretty much represents everything i wanted for the Switch.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So, apparently the game is really easy until the last third of the game?

Nov 22, 2017
Can you play the 2d from the start ?
Sorry if it's been adressed.. but, does the progress carry over to the full game ?

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The music is great. Almost feels better than the modded pc version. It looks likely that I'd double dip

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Finished the game on PS4 long ago, try for curiosity, except the grass with aliasing, the game look very good on handled. Very good to have this quality in the pocket, the game is 100% enjoyable.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
How is everybody enjoying it overall,
Hmm, I'm only 1 hour in, I might restart, I'm just concerned as I dont want this game too easy or too hard.

I feel like it is best to have it on because if you don't like it you can always turn it off. I personally went with stronger monsters and "Game over if hero dies".

Status
Not open for further replies.