• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm new to the series this my first game and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. I heard about dragon quest monsters before ,but never seen anything from it. Do you collect monsters and suck like pokemon?

Yep. There's even breeding. I haven't played a DQM for a while but there's supposedly a new one coming soon.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm new to the series this my first game and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. I heard about dragon quest monsters before ,but never seen anything from it. Do you collect monsters and suck like pokemon?
Yes, you collect monsters in the wild and can fuse them together to create more powerful ones like in Shin Megami Tensei or Persona.

Joker kind of turned me off though. I wanted to love it so much but the world just felt so flat and empty. I went in hoping there would be more of an emphasis on fighting fun or interesting characters with unique teams while working my way up a ladder but its more you just spending 90% of your time grinding and meandering from one island to another while collecting rocks.

Don't know if Joker 2 or 3 massively improved things in that department. If they didn't, hopefully the next one does.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1 token poker table: I can't stop winning
10 token poker table: get fucked

Edit: I finally won big! And then learned you can't trade back for gold...

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
1 token poker table: I can't stop winning
10 token poker table: get fucked

Edit: I finally won big! And then learned you can't trade back for gold...

Early game during Act 1, you can trade your Tokens for Mercury's Bandana at a trade for 2500 Tokens, which can be sold for 1100 Gold each. Unfortunately the game makes this slow because you cannot buy more than one at a time, but it's most profitable method of converting Tokens into Gold in Act 1.

Later on in Act 2 you can redeem 1000 tokens for Sage's Elixir which can be sold for 750 Gold each and you buy 9 at once at time because it's a consumable item. So you can win big, buy 99 of these and sell the whole stock for about 74,000 Gold. It's good for funding materials and Pearls of Perfection to get those +3 Crafted items using the forge.

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
I've just completed the switch demo at about 7 hours and am very much on the fence about a complete purchase.

I feel very neutral on my experience and am uncertain if I can justify the purchase. Was anyone in the same boat as me and how do you feel about your purchase? Does the game improve significantly after the demo?

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I've just completed the switch demo at about 7 hours and am very much on the fence about a complete purchase.

I feel very neutral on my experience and am uncertain if I can justify the purchase. Was anyone in the same boat as me and how do you feel about your purchase? Does the game improve significantly after the demo?

What are you uncertain about? Is it the combat you don't like? Story? Flow?

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
What are you uncertain about? Is it the combat you don't like? Story? Flow?
I haven't been playing many games in the past several years, I recently bought a switch lite to play games with my partner so I'm def way out of the loop.

I found myself running past most monsters instead of fighting to progress the story which doesnt speak well for my enjoyment of a core part of the game. I've bought zelda botw and put it down after 12 hours because it was such a slog and the fighting I found to be thoroughly unenjoyable so I'm concerned about flushing another $60 down the toilet mostly.

I found exploring the towns to be a chore, I skip past speaking to NPCs because they don't have anything of import to say.

I really want to like this game but maybe it's not for me.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I really want to like this game but maybe it's not for me.

I would not buy it. The structure really is go through a couple areas, discover new town, fight a boss, repeat. I would say how charming the game is, but you played the demo and if that didn't do the trick I don't think the full game will.

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
I would not buy it. The structure really is go through a couple areas, discover new town, fight a boss, repeat. I would say how charming the game is, but you played the demo and if that didn't do the trick I don't think the full game will.
I feel you are right. Thank you for your replys!
I'll continue my hunt for a game to capture me. Dragonquest builders definitely has my eye, I love the aesthetic.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I must be nearing the end of the demo -- I keep forgetting it's a demo, it's so long -- and am 100% in on buying.

I've just done the King's Barrow, and am thoroughly charmed. I didn't expect the story to be so effective, and affecting. It's nice to have a traditionally swashbuckling RPG tale, but it plays with expectations just enough and is so very well presented that it works beautifully.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I must be nearing the end of the demo -- I keep forgetting it's a demo, it's so long -- and am 100% in on buying.

I've just done the King's Barrow, and am thoroughly charmed. I didn't expect the story to be so effective, and affecting. It's nice to have a traditionally swashbuckling RPG tale, but it plays with expectations just enough and is so very well presented that it works beautifully.
You've still got a few more hours left of the demo

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
So uhh.

What level should I be when fighting Tentacular? I'm getting destroyed and my party's around level 22.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So uhh.

What level should I be when fighting Tentacular? I'm getting destroyed and my party's around level 22.
I was around that when I fought it. Use Erik to put DoT spells, the poison and earth spike dealie, on the main head and have the party focus on the tentacles, that's how I got through it. Also, don't be afraid to swap party members out for healthy ones, I subbed Rab and Sylvando outmidway through with Serena and Veronica. Depending on how you've specced, Serena may also have a cold defense spell.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. I ended up finding a cannon that made the beginning of the fight more tolerable and then I tried to abuse sleep-inducing moves for the most part. It was waaaaay easier this way lol.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Part 2 spoilers for a boss battle.

I just crushed the Auroral Serpent and Serena rejoined the party. Sylvando's Oomphle + Hendrik's Unbridled Blade = Dead Boss.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
So...some questions about early Act 2

I did not expect that many feels for the end of the Erik section. :( I'm anticipating the reunion with the Hero.

Sylvando's happiness parade was great! I didn't attempt to kill all of the monsters on the lists though as that fake cactus dragon-like creature was too tough for me to handle and I have a feeling I need my regulars to defeat it. I hope that new costume of his will be part of the outfits I can change with him.

Also had some feels with Rab's AU dream sequence. I smirked at how they wrote around the va's in naming the baby.

Not really a fan of Jade being a "distressed damsel" at the end of her part. The first time was a swerve since she did it on purpose to solve the mystery of the missing fighters, but now it's for real and it is very creepy and has some rapey-ish comments from the monster who knocked her out.

When I played as Sylvando I found a mini medal, will that medal add to the medals the Hero found when I recruit him again?

Was Hendrik playable in the PS4 version of the game or is he new to the Switch version?

Are Axes a great tree for him? I'm thinking of going with that because he can use shield moves along with it, unlike the Greatswords. Also, I think one of those ax skills would be great to deal with Metal Slimes.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So uhh.

That's a decent level.

Talk to the cannon lady in the village for an early boost. Hero's Snooze can debilitate both tentacles when it hits the main body, so that's a good way to get some extra hits in. Make sure you're using your buffs and debuffs.
How do I select specific pep powers?
You need to have characters set to Follow Orders.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So...some questions about early Act 2

I did not expect that many feels for the end of the Erik section. :( I'm anticipating the reunion with the Hero.

Sylvando's happiness parade was great! I didn't attempt to kill all of the monsters on the lists though as that fake cactus dragon-like creature was too tough for me to handle and I have a feeling I need my regulars to defeat it. I hope that new costume of his will be part of the outfits I can change with him.

Also had some feels with Rab's AU dream sequence. I smirked at how they wrote around the va's in naming the baby.

Not really a fan of Jade being a "distressed damsel" at the end of her part. The first time was a swerve since she did it on purpose to solve the mystery of the missing fighters, but now it's for real and it is very creepy and has some rapey-ish comments from the monster who knocked her out.

When I played as Sylvando I found a mini medal, will that medal add to the medals the Hero found when I recruit him again?

Was Hendrik playable in the PS4 version of the game or is he new to the Switch version?

Are Axes a great tree for him? I'm thinking of going with that because he can use shield moves along with it, unlike the Greatswords. Also, I think one of those ax skills would be great to deal with Metal Slimes.

Hendrik was in the PS4/PC version. Switch has no exclusive new party members.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Finally really started to play the game. I got the PS4 and Switch version. In the end, I decided to play it on the PS4 first. I also tested the Switch Demo so I could compare the visuals. The game still looks fantastic on the Switch, but I just love how sharp and clean it looks on my PS4 Pro (1080p TV, super sampled mode). Also the better lighting. Such a beautiful game.
I think I will get the platinum trophy and then start all over again on the Switch :) Hyped for the japanese voices, the better soundtrack, the extra content, and all the other improvements! It's my first real Dragon Quest game. Only played Dragon Quest Heroes 1 before that.

I'm still early in the game, but I'm already hooked. Love the mix of pure traditions, and modern, big budget technical features. The animations of the monsters are so awesome and lovely :) Everything looks so "physical", pseudo real, clean, colorful and shiny :) It just feels good to experience the game. A very happy time.
I'm playing it right now, and it gives me all the warm feels, man. I'm incredibly high right now, but I absolutely already know, that I love this game. Just right now in this moment, I'm riding on a bee or something, and it's almost 6 in the morning here. I absolutely love it.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Oh.

Well, the world just ended. And Jasper went and Beatrix'd us all. What a stunning cinematic though, ahh, I am so hyped up now. And to see poor Sylvando so somber and sad... I was gonna put it down for the night but I'll probably just keep playing now lol.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, you cannot play this in handheld mode for very long on an OG switch. Fought an Act 2 boss and my system got very warm.

Would love to see someone do some battery comparisons

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting since this game's original release to play the 2D mode. I even bought the game on PS4 day one and began playing, but put it on hold as soon as the Switch version 2D mode was confirmed.

Now, after playing the demo (in forced 3D mode), I can't bring myself to play in 2D. I love it and all, but it feels too disjointed to go back and forth between the two. I may actually have to play through this game twice...

Last edited:

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yo why the fuck veronica is the only one talking in cutscene 90% of the time lol are everyone else in the party got inspired by our hero?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I had to respec Eric to knives. Is there anything positive about him using boomerangs besides hitting multiple enemies?

Mainly yes, he hits all enemies, and he gets a particularly powerful boomerang skill later on to do it. Plus, he benifits from Dual Wielding skills while using boomerangs too, making his all hitting attacks that much better.

It's usually best to dabble into boomerang after doing knives enough to get the dual-wielding skills, though, Just so you can switch in a pinch.

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
Some very early act 2 story spoilers...

King Carnelian is still totally unlikeable even though he's not even possessed anymore. Lecturing the hero about forgiveness and ordering him out to fight, It's at this point I wished for some dialogue options to tell him to go F himself. Hendrik is a weird one too. He's obviously a great hero in the world and a decent guy from what we're told from the NPC's around the world, Octagonia basically worships him for goodness sake, But so far the only story parts he's been in he's been trying to kill the hero.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

King Carnelian is still totally unlikeable even though he's not even possessed anymore. Lecturing the hero about forgiveness and ordering him out to fight, It's at this point I wished for some dialogue options to tell him to go F himself. Hendrik is a weird one too. He's obviously a great hero in the world and a decent guy from what we're told from the NPC's around the world, Octagonia basically worships him for goodness sake, But so far the only story parts he's been in he's been trying to kill the hero.

Yeah I thought the exact same thing. Worst ruler in the game.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

I liked the part when the Hero's mom shoves Carnelian out of the way like he's a nobody.

Hendrik gets a lot more likeable as Act 2 goes on

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Trying to decide between picking this up, Indivisible, and Fire Engine Three Houses.

I've never played a DQ all the way through. How often are enemy encounters and how great is the spike in difficulty? Is there a pretty sharp jump (aka will I need to heavily grind)?

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to decide between picking this up, Indivisible, and Fire Engine Three Houses.

I've never played a DQ all the way through. How often are enemy encounters and how great is the spike in difficulty? Is there a pretty sharp jump (aka will I need to heavily grind)?
There's a 10+ hour demo on the eShop that allows progress to be carried over. You should play that right away and decide if you want to buy it. From what I noticed, the game does not require grinding as long as you are smart with your strategies. You should be able to get through the game with minimal grinding.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

in 3D mode, enemy encounters you can easily avoid by running from them since they appear on the map. There really isn't much difficulty outside of the last part of the game unless you're playing on Stronger Monsters mode which is more like SNES-era difficulty. Even then you can work around that difficulty with proper strategy and don't have to grind much. Of course if you're playing on default difficulty, you don't have to grind at all as long as you're not actively avoiding every encounter/avoid upgrading equipment/etc.

Just play the demo, there's one on the eShop. If you like it, the save transfers from the demo to the full game.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The depth of both of those characters get much better as act 2 goes on. There's a segment of the game in particular where you will see how well developed one of them become.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
There's a 10+ hour demo on the eShop that allows progress to be carried over. You should play that right away and decide if you want to buy it. From what I noticed, the game does not require grinding as long as you are smart with your strategies. You should be able to get through the game with minimal grinding.

Thanks! I'll try it out today! I didn't realize the demo was so long.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
After playing enough Slime Quest, I think I have a good idea about how it all works, outside of a couple things. I'll just jot down my thoughts below:

• Slime Quest is not completely random and does require the player to time its slots. Fortunately, the pattern is not too hard to memorize.
  • That said, you will not be able to roll 777 every time even with perfect timing. There are a lot of caveats in place that limit your possible rolls until a special thing happens. Under normal circumstances, I believe it is only possible to roll 3 Plums or 3 Replays. 3 Watermelons may be possible too, but it's not worth going for over the Plums.
  • A special event that can affect what you roll is finding a treasure chest. You may think that if you roll well you'll get something out of the chest, but it's actually the other way around. This is especially apparent since the contents of the chest are determined with the second slot you stop, not the third.
  • Another very important thing to look out for are the glow effects on the slots. That tells you it is possible to roll that combination in that play. For example, a green glow opens up a Watermelon win, and a red glow opens up a Cherry win. You can time when to stop the slots by paying attention to when BAR passes by.
  • Speaking of BAR, I believe the white glow refers to being able to roll 3 BARs, but I have yet to confirm that.
  • And then there's the golden glow for the Bells, which appears very rarely but can lead to the biggest individual payout these machines offer. The amount you win is dependent on the number of Orbs you have collected, up to a maximum of 6. The Orbs can be randomly found in treasure chests and are more likely to show up in Prime Slime Time.
  • Let's talk about Slime Time. You enter into this mode by rolling 777s, but the way you can get into it varies. It could be through Amalgoomate (seemingly random outcomes), Gooniversity (also random), defeating 50 enemies, or by just finding a Bonus.
  • When you get prompted to roll 777, it is highly recommended to do so in an X formation, as that increases your payout and seemingly makes it more likely for the 7s to turn gold, allowing you into Prime Slime Time (which to me just seems like a better version of the regular one, with more chances for good outcomes). How likely the 7s turn golden is dependent on the machine.
  • Choosing the right machine is very important! You want a machine that hands out bonuses like candy. If they have a high Orb count to go along with it, then that's even better, but it's not all that necessary.
  • The Autoplay for this game works great for multitasking, but don't expect the slots to be stopped at good spots most the time. You definitely want to take control if you notice a golden glow.
I think that's all the important points I wanted to make. There are a few more things that I'm still not sure about (why sometimes the slots go dark, or what the Dracky formations mean). Overall, I find the game to be the slowest of the bunch, but the Autoplay makes it also the most convenient and it is incredibly charming.
I appreciate all the effort you put into explaining this. So in terms of payout, you think it's basically the slowest:worst method? Cause that's bizarre.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I appreciate all the effort you put into explaining this. So in terms of payout, you think it's basically the slowest:worst method? Cause that's bizarre.
Yeah, even if you get the maximum Bells payout it's only at like x192 according to the cheat sheet, and that's only if you have all 6 orbs (which get consumed upon getting the Bells). You are otherwise getting much smaller payouts outside of the Bonus rolls or Feeding Frenzy.

The regular slots have a much better shot of giving you good payouts in a quicker fashion. In fact, I actually landed on Jackpot yesterday! 77777 in the Silver Slots. Got a fat 200000 tokens out of it, so that felt really good.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017

Am at the same spot and agree, like others have as well. It's bothering me enough that I'll finally be able to take a break from the game for a day. Being bossed around by assholes is only my day-job, not my free-time.

Tomorrow I'll continue.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is there a way to see which spells are stronger than others? Like is there a spell power counter or anything? For example, is there a reason I'd use Sizz over Frizz for single target? How about Sizz Vs Bang for a single group?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

I recommend DQ out of those 3. Definitely wait for patches for Indivisible!!

Dragon Quest you see all enemies on screen and you have a run button so 99% of the time YOU choose how much to fight.

As for difficulty, if you dont turn any of the modifiers on the game is not hard. There is a gentle difficulty curve and bosses will only behard if you are very under leveled.

DQ11 is an incredible value. If you want to see and do every thing it's over 100 hours. The main story is LONG.
But it's infinitely charming and beautiful and fun to play. I highly highly recommend it.
Check out the massive demo to see what you think.

Fire Emblem I've never been much into but I will say it's the most fun one I've played. The school setting with relationships reminds me of Persona and the game IS all around fun - I just love DQ more =)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to see which spells are stronger than others? Like is there a spell power counter or anything? For example, is there a reason I'd use Sizz over Frizz for single target? How about Sizz Vs Bang for a single group?

Nah, you won't find any info in the game on that, it's just something that comes with DQ experience. Generally single target spells are stronger than group spells (per target) which are stronger than all enemy spells (per target).