• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I started playing this around 3:30 ET...its now 9:50PM...where the hell did all that time go??

It seriously felt like I've only been playing an hour.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Picked me up physical copy today after work, can't play till tomorrow afternoon! Hmm or do I take my switch with me tonight to the bar?

Lol jk

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Changing to DQ8 music in the desert just made the overworld 100x better. Anyways I'm so glad I waited and cant wait to marathon all weekend.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I heard the very first real boss in Gallopolis was a difficulty spike, even without Draconian mods, so myself playing full Draconian, I kinda overprepared myself for it.
That wasn't necessary, sure it did 40 + 80 damage per turns but with poisons and debuff, he didn't last long.
I was going to drop one or two modifiers if it was too hard but I heard the more you advance, the easier the game become, with one or two exceptions. At least until you complete the Draconian stuff and can remove them.

The worst has yet to come. Well done on preparing yourself well. I struggled as I had yet to utilize status effects and crafting equipment well.

Afterwards the game doesn't feel unfair until late game mini bosses. I enjoyed the game on draconian mode until that "one" special famous boss. The balance is a bit uneven but most of the time it is fair. Just sucks with the luck based battles with utilizing status effect and not receiving any yourself.

I am glad I didnt play on the original mode personally. It is amazing that you can adjust the difficulty. Would be better if you could switch it back again but that be possible on a PC instead.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this strictly for the 2D mode as I put over 70 hours in the PS4 version last year and man, it's still addicting. 2D mode is much more condensed than HD mode and I think I prefer it. It took me almost an hour to find all of Heliodor's secrets last year due to just how big the city was. This time, it took me 10 minutes max and I like that much more.
This is exactly why I've always kind of preferred 2D Dragon Quest presentation. Nice and snappy.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Got this game today as an early birthday present. Beat/platinumed it on the PS4 and all the new additions made me super excited for this version.

The Orchestrated music is so so nice to hear and having used the DQ8 field music since I was able to is making things even better <3

Is the Heliodor nighttime music supposed to be MIDI regardless of selected audio choice? It sounds to me like the old midi PS4 track and switching it between the 2 in game audio options doesn't change the music at all, is this a bug or intended?

I found the PS4 default difficulty to be a bit too easy until very late game so trying strong monsters out for the first time and oof it's challenging I'm going to enjoy/be terrified of this it seems haha Fough a group of 2 Bovkin Archers outside Heliodor and they kept summoning more and more after I killed one of them and got all the way to Bobkin Archer H and my party got overwhelmed ^^'

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy. Ok...so I'm about to restart this game AGAIN for the second time after putting about 6 hours into the demo TWICE...because I'm a psychopath about my game and I can't stand being named Prince knowing I'm actually a Prince.

I'm gonna name my guy Capsule. Considering that this will be my THIRD time starting the game. Is there ANY REASON why I shouldn't name my guy CAPSULE? And characters named that?! Later do I run capsule factory?! I mean my god.

Also, besides my progress of course, do I lose anything special by not using my demo save? My as well just start fresh on the main game at this point, but I heard there was some sort of incentive to do that.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Heliodor nighttime music supposed to be MIDI regardless of selected audio choice? It sounds to me like the old midi PS4 track and switching it between the 2 in game audio options doesn't change the music at all, is this a bug or intended?

I asked about this on ResetEra when playing the demo, and the response I got was apparently every DQ game has had MIDI night themes.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna name my guy Capsule. Considering that this will be my THIRD time starting the game. Is there ANY REASON why I shouldn't name my guy CAPSULE?
People will think you named it that way because he's looking like Trunks from Dragon Ball, who's family owns Capsule corp. :D

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
All of y'all are crazy. DQXI's default overworld theme is better that VIII's. Not much better but better. Especially the orchestral version.

And I'm someone whose super nostalgic for DQVIII.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Lousy-arse Amazon delayed my copy of the game so I won't be able to play it at October 2 at the latest, hopefully. I mean I hope it wasn't lost in transit.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People will think you named it that way because he's looking like Trunks from Dragon Ball, who's family owns Capsule corp. :D

THAT I actually intended. Because I'm a DB/Toriyama shill. Also my DQ3 character was named Galick. So...kinda wanna make it seem like a far-off lineage thing.

Shoulda did that in the first place. Instead I went with musical artists closely related to the color purple because of hero's clothes. That ended up backfiring horribly. First was Hendrix, then I find there's a major character named Hendrick. And then Prince...and I find out I'm a prince. Yeesh.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I love how, no matter how modern and shiny looking a Dragon Quest game can get, I can still run through people's houses and rob them blind without them caring lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
All of y'all are crazy. DQXI's default overworld theme is better that VIII's. Not much better but better. Especially the orchestral version.

It just has too many competing themes going on in the same song, it just really doesn't work well. I'm no music critic or anything but it really feels like the weakest overworld theme in the series by far.

I love how, no matter how modern and shiny looking a Dragon Quest game can get, I can still run through people's houses and rob them blind without them caring lol

In this one some NPCs will actually say something (occasionally) but it's not like they will stop you or change anything meaningful.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Man I can't understate just how fantastic it is to carry this game around. Maybe this is the key to me finally getting into The Witcher 3!

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My copy doesn't come in until next week, unfortunately. Guess I can still screw around in the demo.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I like the XI theme more as a song, but it's also more involved so it becomes repetitive faster to me when navigating big open 3D space. I think it works perfectly marching on the map in 2D mode.

Oct 25, 2017
So about how long are the chapters in general. I'm planning to be switching between 2D and 3D a fair amount, but I'm curious how long the gaps between places where you can resume the story from are.

IsaacVarion

Apr 4, 2018
To anyone it may need: If DQ8 music option did not appears even if you followed instructions, turn into 2D mode, than save and return in 3D. You'll fix it.

Oct 27, 2017
Do Party members not active in battle level up with you or do they stay at thier current level forever till you bring them into active service?

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Ugh it blows how you have to retread when you want to swap over to 2D mode. Was hoping for something more seamless.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed a copy today on my way home from work. I'm excited to crack into it but I told myself to finish Link's Awakening first. I'm on the 6th dungeon so it won't be much longer.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Also, the first area in the 'retro' maps kicked my ass. What level do you recommend? Those enemies are damage sponges.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ahhh great .
I just got Slyvando,is it worth swapping him in place of another character?

\

You can pretty freely switch characters during battle, you can even swap out a dead character for someone in reserve. Heck if your whole party wipes the reserves will automatically swoop in to continue the fight.

Swapping out characters can also be used to store someone with pep if you need specific characters to use a pep power on a specific enemy for a quest.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to cancel my slime controller order on amazon jp....gahhh it's probably way too expensive to return too. Really didn't need this extra spending this month lmao i can only blame my hype for this game

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Normally I find the "cool thief with a mysterious past" character lame, but I'm really liking Erik's character.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Little bummed about the whole chapter thing in 2d mode. I thought you could flip back and forth easily.

Not a huge thing because I was mostly just going to walk around and look at stuff, I don't see me putting a ton of time into it.