• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT
uYw2M57.gif

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This looks absolutely gorgeous.

I have been largely checked out on video game news since TLOU2 came out, and was just looking for something to kinda be a relaxing romp down memory lane. I picked up DQXI and was about 90% of the way through Act 3 here I saw this thread pop up. Come to find out they did this release and if I had paid attention a little bit I'd have been able to just play the "ultimate" edition. Ugh.

Oh well. I still really enjoyed this game. The only thing I think the original PS4 version is missing compared to this one are the Switch outfit additions and a final FINAL boss fight. Is that about it?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Would it run well 4K native with 144 hz with a 2080 Super ? Or is resolution scale a good option here ?
I have my PC set up to play the game roughly in 4K (1440p with resolution scale of 125%) on a GTX 1080, and it seems to stick to above 70 FPS most of the time.
I don't know how useful it is, but this hopefully should give you a good idea.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I've been away from home for a week and started to play the Switch demo.

Bought the first game on PC but the lack of Ultrawide support turned me off so I didn't get too far. Community patches were available but weren't too great. Then I saw some weird downgrades with the PC version of S, which I'm sure can be easily upgraded via mod.

Even having the S version for free on PC via Game Pass Ultimate, I may stick with the Switch version. Something about it seems special on a handheld, and I'm more likely to pick it up and play it there. Had the game supported Ultrawide on PC, I'd probably still play it there instead. Cross progession would be an easy double dip.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
i was curious about the townsfolk lie one but i was afraid it would severely harm my progress in the game specially remembering old dragon quest games where your only clue on a direction is this one random npc saying a line of text in random ass city
The game plays a unskippable audio cue whenever this happens, so it's not like you'll be tricked or anything.

The main problem is that it's a complete pace-breaker because it takes like 15 seconds to talk to them again. You could be wasting up to a minute just trying to get the NPC to say what they're supposed to if you keep getting unlucky (especially if you combine this with Shypox). Apply this to every single possible conversation you can have with an NPC throughout the course of a very long RPG and you're looking at hours wasted simply attempting to talk to people.

I did it (with both Shypox modifiers enabled as well) and beat the game with it, and I absolutely do not recommend it. The novelty wore thin very quickly. Do it for another playthrough where you'll skip dialogue as much as possible if you want.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The game plays a unskippable audio cue whenever this happens, so it's not like you'll be tricked or anything.

The main problem is that it's a complete pace-breaker because it takes like 15 seconds to talk to them again. You could be wasting up to a minute just trying to get the NPC to say what they're supposed to if you keep getting unlucky (especially if you combine this with Shypox). Apply this to every single possible conversation you can have with an NPC throughout the course of a very long RPG and you're looking at hours wasted simply attempting to talk to people.

I did it (with both Shypox modifiers enabled as well) and beat the game with it, and I absolutely do not recommend it. The novelty wore thin very quickly. Do it for another playthrough where you'll skip dialogue as much as possible if you want.

Yeah i will let it for a possible all draconian modifiers run later if i still feel like replaying the game getting 100% and stuff

I'm fine with the stronger monster for now. just wish i could add the no shopping too because i suspect it does something really gamebreaking and that trivializes item collection (buying materials directly from the forge)

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Yeah i will let it for a possible all draconian modifiers run later if i still feel like replaying the game getting 100% and stuff

I'm fine with the stronger monster for now. just wish i could add the no shopping too because i suspect it does something really gamebreaking and that trivializes item collection (buying materials directly from the forge)
It's not really gamebreaking, it's more like "oh, can't make this since you don't got enough, wanna just buy the difference?" And it doesn't work with materials you can't buy, which late game is a fair bit.

It's just convinent, you'd be able to buy these from traders at campsites anyway, eventually.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
It's not really gamebreaking, it's more like "oh, can't make this since you don't got enough, wanna just buy the difference?" And it doesn't work with materials you can't buy, which late game is a fair bit.

It's just convinent, you'd be able to buy these from traders at campsites anyway, eventually.

Not on a no shopping run, thats what i meant
So far i could buy even for stuff i had none of the materials. Felt too "cheap" to me. And its definitely too cheap in money too, since all the stuff i can craft is better than stuff on shops so far and like 5 times cheaper

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got around 25hrs, but i really can't say i like it till now. Is this gonna get better, or stay on the same level as till now?

I'm at

old village from hero, where all people who survived gathered.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got around 25hrs, but i really can't say i like it till now. Is this gonna get better, or stay on the same level as till now?

I'm at

old village from hero, where all people who survived gathered.
It's a pretty consistent game so I doubt you'll find anything to change your mind.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that for all the QoL improvements, there's not an option to turn off the HUD during exploration, or at least elements of it. I noticed you can remove it during battles by pressing RT/R2. I hope someone can make a mod to turn it off and on the rest of the time.

It's not a big deal but that's the sort of stuff that bugs me in games these days, like you're on the horse and after dozens of hours it will still show you which button to press on screen to make it gallop, or how to dismount. Seriously we don't need this. It's even more dumb because it's the same button used to make the character run and it's not constantly written on screen, so I don't see why it's necessary when you're riding the horse :/

Well that's a small nitpick, I love what I've played so far. But yeah, mod community please, do your magic.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is their anyway to enable HDR in the pc game pass version? Sucks that special k doesn't work with this

Oct 27, 2017
I have the option enabled to hear the protagonist speak but so far all I hear him doing is grunts and moans. To be fair, I only just completed the beginning by reaching the top of the mountain. does he start speaking soon?

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I am at last dungeon of act 2 i suppose. Where can i level up? First boss was harder than expected and i had to use 2 healers...any suggestions? Thanks

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Any big differences between the Switch version and Xbox Series X version (other than loading times)?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is absolutely wonderful. All I gotta say for now.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
People keep crying about how horrible the game looks in this version but i still find everything gorgeous

Guess i have low standards

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People keep crying about how horrible the game looks in this version but i still find everything gorgeous

Yes, I feel the same. I never played the non-S version, so maybe that's why, but just like Blue Dragon I find a more detailed but still simple in style art style to look great.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Side by Side with the PC/PS4 version it took a hit in Lighting and some Model Quality, but some people using extreme Hyperbole that it looks horrible because its "just a switch port.". But other than the lighting the game looks very good, think they even added reflections to some surfaces that werent there in Original, makes them look nicer.

Xeno-V

Oct 30, 2017
I have started the game on Switch and played like 10 hours or so. I don't know if I feel like starting over on Xbox because of gamepass. How much better does it look in comparison? I understand some details are improved on Xbox but does it also get some major resolution bump for example?

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I have started the game on Switch and played like 10 hours or so. I don't know if I feel like starting over on Xbox because of gamepass. How much better does it look in comparison? I understand some details are improved on Xbox but does it also get some major resolution bump for example?

Resolution went from like 900p to 4k, less pop in (barely noticeable now), bump from 30 to 60fps..

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Both versions look good. Side-by-side, the original release is markedly better.

Just another Dragon Quest game that doesn't actually have a truly definitive release.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Wow, thanks. To me it sounds like a quite big upgrade so maybe I should consider waiting until i get an XSX to enjoy it on gamepass.

Also got Auto HDR if you got a compatible display. Heard it's pretty good on it, but can't test it myself unfortunately.

Thankfully square made the Xbox one port very scalable, I played the demo on Xbox one X and while it was enhanced (hence it goes 4k/60 on series X) it clearly got some performance issues on city areas, but BC clears those out.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying this is just 'Switch graphics' isn't being truthful. Yes, it's using assets from the Switch version but it still looks far better. Especially with auto HDR.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the load times on XSX are so impressive for a backcompat game. Initial load is like 5 or 6 seconds and then after that all loads are like 1-3 seconds. I'm not missing anything important in the load screen text am I?
With a proper XSX patch this game could definitely remove load times.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Downloaded the demo on my PS5 and WOW. After beating Demon's Souls I had no idea how refreshing this lighthearted romp would be. And during a pandemic, it's just really nice to play something that is so nostalgic!

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded the demo on my PS5 and WOW. After beating Demon's Souls I had no idea how refreshing this lighthearted romp would be. And during a pandemic, it's just really nice to play something that is so nostalgic!

Yeah I played the original release when at launch because of the Tim Rogers video and dropped it a free hours in because it wasn't grabbing me (and the midi music didn't help), but I decided to give it another shot when it released on Game Pass and I'm absolutely loving it now. It's just so cozy

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh the end of Act I.

Just started Act II.

EDIT
Currently playing as Sylvando running around helping people..
I guess this is the new content from the Switch?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just came out of a rather lengthy, almost one-hour long dungeon in Tickinton and for some reason that was more stressful than anything in the actual game lol. Ugh I do not miss random battles AT ALL, nor do I like the old DQ combat style if deciding everything at the start of every turn.

Coming out of Tickinton and back into the regular fully-3D world was a weird sensation.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I just came out of a rather lengthy, almost one-hour long dungeon in Tickinton and for some reason that was more stressful than anything in the actual game lol. Ugh I do not miss random battles AT ALL, nor do I like the old DQ combat style if deciding everything at the start of every turn.

Coming out of Tickinton and back into the regular fully-3D world was a weird sensation.

So are we not able to do any of the Tickington sidequests in the 3D portion of the game?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So are we not able to do any of the Tickington sidequests in the 3D portion of the game?
You get to go to tickington, you temporarily become 2D and it doesn't affect anything negatively like trying to swap between 2D and 3D in normal gameplay.

Check back in with the little bowtie guy whenever you find a Tockle, you can Zoom to his location whenever and tackle these little vignettes of the past whenever.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
You get to go to tickington, you temporarily become 2D and it doesn't affect anything negatively like trying to swap between 2D and 3D in normal gameplay.

Check back in with the little bowtie guy whenever you find a Tockle, you can Zoom to his location whenever and tackle these little vignettes of the past whenever.

Ok, thanks.

I'll spoiler the next part, just in case. I just heard
that you can't visit the various DQ worlds (which I think are related to Tickington) except in 2D. So I wasn't sure if you could do anything in 3D or not.

But it sounds like there are things to do 3D-wise with finding the Tockles, but not really sure what's involved with that. But maybe it's best I don't know and just find out. I just wanted to know if there were things to do 3D-wise with Tickington.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, thanks.

I'll spoiler the next part, just in case. I just heard
that you can't visit the various DQ worlds (which I think are related to Tickington) except in 2D. So I wasn't sure if you could do anything in 3D or not.

But it sounds like there are things to do 3D-wise with finding the Tockles, but not really sure what's involved with that. But maybe it's best I don't know and just find out. I just wanted to know if there were things to do 3D-wise with Tickington.
You have to find certain Tockles in the 3D world to gain the "pastwords" to enter the DQ worlds.