• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
This is why I recommend Harder Monsters only, it just brings the general stats of the enemies up enough to be challenging and make the most of the special attacks and abilities everyone gets.

It just makes you take advantage of stuff you would normally just muscle out of using, like Dazzle (Blind) or defense buffing or consistent healing.

It is very rewarding and honestly not that hard if you play smart.

yeah i had both reduced xp and stronger monster and i dont think they gel well. kept just the stronger monster mod. i was curious about the townsfolk lie one but i was afraid it would severely harm my progress in the game specially remembering old dragon quest games where your only clue on a direction is this one random npc saying a line of text in random ass city

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Stronger enemies is basically the same difficult that you would find playing the ds DQ games, i.e. it can't be completed by just attacking and pressing A, but it isn't hard at all. Plus you can always lower it.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I started the game without any draconian settings because I mistakenly thought I could enable them in a church later. I feel like the text doesn't explain this properly at the start so it's easy to make that assumption. I should have enabled harder monsters because the game so far is a real cakewalk. If it never starts pushing back I'll probably lose interest soon.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stronger enemies is basically the same difficult that you would find playing the ds DQ games, i.e. it can't be completed by just attacking and pressing A, but it isn't hard at all. Plus you can always lower it.
Stronger enemies is a good idea at the start of the game but there's a point towards the end when bosses stop being fun, where you can get party wiped in an instant and you spend the fight hoping the boss AI goes easy on you.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Stronger enemies is a good idea at the start of the game but there's a point towards the end when bosses stop being fun, where you can get party wiped in an instant and you spend the fight hoping the boss AI goes easy on you.
Honestly, I never felt that way, I always found the game challenging yet doable, the only obstacle that required grinding for me was the real final boss and that's undeniably hard, but the rest? Not really imho. That being said, even if it is actually hard for most people, they can always turn down the option, that's why I always recommend it.
I should say that stronger enemies was the only draconian modifier I used, so I got exp even from weaker monsters.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I never felt that way, I always found the game challenging yet doable, the only obstacle that required grinding for me was the real final boss and that's undeniably hard, but the rest? Not really imho.
The thing that bugs me is the turn order thing. It's possible for a boss to go last one round, and first the next. That, coupled with the way later bosses tend to attack two or three times per round can wipe you out in a flash. It happened to me several times.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I started the game without any draconian settings because I mistakenly thought I could enable them in a church later. I feel like the text doesn't explain this properly at the start so it's easy to make that assumption. I should have enabled harder monsters because the game so far is a real cakewalk. If it never starts pushing back I'll probably lose interest soon.
One way to sorta fix this is to massively reduce the amount of random enemies you fight. Simple ignore them or only fight enemies you've not seen before. The idea is to keep you underleveled.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

That's one of my typical criticisms of JRPGs, how they force you into so much repetition doing encounters, you can usually win by pressing A continually. It's mind-numbingly dull, but I'm enjoying this due to how easy it is to skip encounters in combination with the low difficulty. I'm 10 hours into the game, still mostly haven't equipped new stuff and am easily winning the battles.

It helps that everything is so swift and responsive, but it's the low difficulty that allows me to avoid many encounters and the equipment management. It comes with its own advantages :)

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I know I'm in the minority here but who else really likes the box art for this XI S release on PS4/XBO? It was the art for the vanilla release in NA too. I wish the Switch version got that artwork.

I don't have any attachment to the Toriyama art style (although I recognize its history with the franchise!) and I just love the colors on the CG art used here.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
One way to sorta fix this is to massively reduce the amount of random enemies you fight. Simple ignore them or only fight enemies you've not seen before. The idea is to keep you underleveled.
That has been my plan so far just sprinting through the areas with auto battling and ultra fast speed for the enemies I do run into. But I can see myself getting bored of that as well in the long run. It's certainly better than having to stop every ten seconds to do a mindless battle though.

I wish JRPG developers would just get over themselves and include difficulty settings in their games. Shin Megami Tensei have been doing it for years.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The thing that bugs me is the turn order thing. It's possible for a boss to go last one round, and first the next. That, coupled with the way later bosses tend to attack two or three times per round can wipe you out in a flash. It happened to me several times.
At first I had the same problem; I played a ton of DQ games and this is the first one when you choose the action turn by turn and not at the start of the round. This basically changed a lot of the well known strategy I had with the series, but when you start to understand the important of the agility stat, it can come in handy (for example, Erik sometimes can attack twice in a "turn" exactly like the boss you encountered). I think you can grow accustomed to this system after a while, but I can relate. Maybe they should've added some form of turn bar to make that more clear.
That's one of my typical criticisms of JRPGs, how they force you into so much repetition doing encounters, you can usually win by pressing A continually. It's mind-numbingly dull, but I'm enjoying this due to how easy it is to skip encounters in combination with the low difficulty. I'm 10 hours into the game, still mostly haven't equipped new stuff and am easily winning the battles.

It helps that everything is so swift and responsive, but it's the low difficulty that allows me to avoid many encounters and the equipment management. It comes with its own advantages :)
I hate when random encounters become a trivial matter of just pressing A, especially when there is no auto battle feature; that's basically the main criticism I usually move to FF and DQ never was like that to me, most of the times. That being said, avoiding battles like you're doing can keep boss battles challenging and thus make the game less boring; an approach that I wouldn't follow in the slightest, but if it's your thing, go for it.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I started the game yesterday and played for a couple of hours. I'm beyond happy with how it plays , runs, and looks. I understand that this is Switch port, but aside from Ambient Occlusion, lower res textures, and perhaps the sometimes slightly distracting aliasing (mostly on grass), what else is this game missing from the PS4 release graphically?

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the Xbox version, is it cross save between Xbox and the MS Store version? My brother has those 2 systems and was asking me because that way he can play on the pc or the console while his kids are playing something else on the other system lol

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Stronger Monsters really makes the game a lot more rewarding. Everything feels like it's been tuned just right.
Kind of annoyed at how poorly implemented 2D mode is, though. Needing to reset story progress to switch is frankly just really, really dumb, and the sprites look so blurry from poor upscaling. The way the new Tickington sidequest is implemented also bothers me a lot, but that's going into spoiler territory.
Question about the Xbox version, is it cross save between Xbox and the MS Store version? My brother has those 2 systems and was asking me because that way he can play on the pc or the console while his kids are playing something else on the other system lol
There is cross-save between Xbox and Win10.
I started the game yesterday and played for a couple of hours. I'm beyond happy with how it plays , runs, and looks. I understand that this is Switch port, but aside from Ambient Occlusion, lower res textures, and perhaps the sometimes slightly distracting aliasing (mostly on grass), what else is this game missing from the PS4 release graphically?
Most every model has lower polygon counts, losing a good amount of detail.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I want to start this soon but I only finished the original around this time last year. Torn on just doing 2D or staying with 3D to see all the additions that way.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Will definitely turn on stronger monsters if you all are recommending it. Honestly the only reason why I wouldn't is because this game is already long enough as it is. But if there's a point late in the story where stuff becomes too hard, I can always turn it off - so all good.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i had both reduced xp and stronger monster and i dont think they gel well. kept just the stronger monster mod. i was curious about the townsfolk lie one but i was afraid it would severely harm my progress in the game specially remembering old dragon quest games where your only clue on a direction is this one random npc saying a line of text in random ass city

Do enemies give reduced EXP in general? I thought it was you stopped receiving EXP once enemies became 'weak'. Or is it just reduced EXP overall, even against enemies that are equal or even stronger towards you?

May I ask in what way(s) "Reduced EXP" and "Stronger Monsters" did not gel for you? I planned to choose these, as well as "No shopping", as well, on my playthrough.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Games amazing on XSX.
Everything I hoped it would be. The beta of PS4 and Switch versions all rolled into 1.

Running at 60 FPS is more of a game changer than I expected. It's all so smooth :)

Anyways, in the midst of all this next gen madness I find myself playing this most days recently.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Do enemies give reduced EXP in general? I thought it was you stopped receiving EXP once enemies became 'weak'. Or is it just reduced EXP overall, even against enemies that are equal or even stronger towards you?

May I ask in what way(s) "Reduced EXP" and "Stronger Monsters" did not gel for you? I planned to choose these, as well as "No shopping", as well, on my playthrough.
Its supposed to be weaker monster but what they consider weak and what they don't is strange. In one area a monster that could buff it's defence and call backup every turn was kicking my ass and making fights take minutes but they didn't give me any xp for being "weak" while another I could easily two shot was still fair game. So I could still grind but if the "weak" one appeared I would just lose time since no xp
I decided to limit any grinding on my own volition instead and just run past any enemies that aren't new or don't have an item I want

I wish I went with "no shopping" too, it's quite doable after a very brief rough start

Last edited:

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Its supposed to be weaker monster but what they consider weak and what they don't is strange. In one area a monster that could buff it's defence and call backup every turn was kicking my ass and making fights take minutes but they didn't give me any xp for being "weak" while another I could easily two shot was still fair game. So I could still grind but if the "weak" one appeared I would just lose time since no xp
I decided to limit any grinding on my own volition instead and just run past any enemies that aren't new or don't have an item I want

I wish I went with "no shopping" too, it's quite doable after a very brief rough start

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

I think I will still give it a try and see how it works out. If it becomes too much of an issue I will take it off.

How far did you get into the game before you removed "Reduced EXP"? I have read that it can be more difficult early on in the game with this draconian option as the no-EXP cut off happens more quickly and it can be harder to find monsters to raise up with. However, as the game goes on it does become easier to find monsters where you won't be capped off.

I think it might be fun (in a challenging sort of way) in trying "No shopping". The only thing I am a bit concerned about is before I pick up a dedicated healer and having to scavenge for materials to forge healing herbs, as I can't buy them in bulk. I know it will be a bit time consuming for that.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

I think I will still give it a try and see how it works out. If it becomes too much of an issue I will take it off.

How far did you get into the game before you removed "Reduced EXP"? I have read that it can be more difficult early on in the game with this draconian option as the no-EXP cut off happens more quickly and it can be harder to find monsters to raise up with. However, as the game goes on it does become easier to find monsters where you won't be capped off.

I think it might be fun (in a challenging sort of way) in trying "No shopping". The only thing I am a bit concerned about is before I pick up a dedicated healer and having to scavenge for materials to forge healing herbs, as I can't buy them in bulk. I know it will be a bit time consuming for that.

the mc learns a healing spell quite early and it doesnt take long to get a healer
also the first tier mobs drop a lot of herbs. you'll be fine. i dont think you can craft healing herbs, or at least i cant yet

i dropped around 5-6ish hours in i think? slightly after you get your first permanent party member. it just is more annoying than restrictive, since you can still get money, pep and items from the battles, so instead of grinding for xp you grind for pep so you use pep on the stronger battles that give xp

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am considering this just for the 2D mode and Japanese voices.

If I pick 2D mode do I still get voiced dialogue ?

Also, I have the original version on steam... don't suppose my save can be transferred into this to skip a lot of the horse crap? The game is lengthy AF as most know, and a good chunk of it is a slog. I think I had just killed the Ice Witch lady before dropping it.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
the mc learns a healing spell quite early and it doesnt take long to get a healer
also the first tier mobs drop a lot of herbs. you'll be fine. i dont think you can craft healing herbs, or at least i cant yet

i dropped around 5-6ish hours in i think? slightly after you get your first permanent party member. it just is more annoying than restrictive, since you can still get money, pep and items from the battles, so instead of grinding for xp you grind for pep so you use pep on the stronger battles that give xp

Right, I played the demo last year on the Switch, so I knew about the MC getting a healing spell. But I meant a dedicated healer. I think she had shown up at the end of the demo (the tall blonde?).

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded this via Gamepass would never play or try out a game like this otherwise. Got to say I am impressed so far.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of my typical criticisms of JRPGs, how they force you into so much repetition doing encounters, you can usually win by pressing A continually.

Then it's not "typical". Historically JRPGs were set with the difficulty very hard.

What happened, including this franchise, is that ports to the west massively lowered the difficulty because it was felt that only the japanese players enjoyed that type of challenge.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
why putting this on Gamepass is massive win, many who wouldnt normally touch DQ series are playing it. chance of people looking to purchase next game will increase whenever it comes.
I definitely regret purchasing this game on Switch. Definitely wish I got it on Gamepass instead. The game is a very solid 7 too me and I tend to lose interest in it alot. The fact I paid full price for it is weirdly effecting my enjoyment of it, if I was just playing it on Gamepass I think I might enjoy it a bit more.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No.
Also CGI Prerendered Cutscenes that are voice acted in 3d mode arent when you are in 2D one.

Damn shame there's no option to toggle this on/off. Guess 3D mode is the way to go.

I'll stick with my original steam version and completed it at some point since I wouldn't want to start from scratch.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the Japanese Switch Cart of Dragon Quest XI S has English language settings?

KepperC

Jul 17, 2020
My wife saw an ad for this game during ITV2 today (???) and is interested in playing it. She's never played an RPG before - is this a good first-timers RPG game, and is there an easy mode?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My wife saw an ad for this game during ITV2 today (???) and is interested in playing it. She's never played an RPG before - is this a good first-timers RPG game, and is there an easy mode?
Every mainline Dragon Quest is a good first-timer's JRPG, this one included. It's pretty easy on the default difficulty level.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I played like 30 minutes of the demo on PS5 and hoo boy is it ugly. Like I know it's the Switch version uprezzed but geez. Doesn't even look 4k but I think it's native? Jaggies everywhere.

That said the combat/presentation were much better than I expected coming from the 3DS DQ games. It's fast and snappy. I'm tempted to get it, $40 isn't that much but my backlog...

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Question for anyone in-the-know — is this game cross-save compatible between Xbox and Window Store (non-Steam) version?

I ask because my kids kicked me off the Xbox so they can play other games (I don't blame them!), and I want to continue where I left off on my gaming PC, provided the cloud saves carry over.

I'm going to download the Windows version anyway just to try it out, but thought if anyone who tried already can share their experience.

I've started playing this game again on Series X since the GamePass drop and have been enjoying it immensely so far after 10 or so hours (just got to the point where the two sisters join the party).

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Question for anyone in-the-know — is this game cross-save compatible between Xbox and Window Store (non-Steam) version?

I ask because my kids kicked me off the Xbox so they can play other games (I don't blame them!), and I want to continue where I left off on my gaming PC, provided the cloud saves carry over.

I'm going to download the Windows version anyway just to try it out, but thought if anyone who tried already share there experience.

I've started playing this game again on Series X since the GamePass drop and have been enjoying it immensely so far after 10 or so hours (just got to the point where the two sisters join the party).

Yes
I played a bit on my computer just now while my niece plays MC Dungeons. Play Anywhere is fucking great

The game is surprisingly light too, to run so well on my shitty laptop. I know its a switch port, but still. Hell my computer struggles to run some isometric rpgs.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
You made my evening! Thank you :) Download under way!

No problem, i had the same thought when i installed, "please god dont make me start again"

I'm playing through gamepass via the xbox app though, which i believe is the w10 store version anyway? just for information sake. opened the game, it asked me to login, synced my save and i was where i left on console

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm playing through gamepass via the xbox app though, which i believe is the w10 store version anyway? just for information sake. opened the game, it asked me to login, synced my save and i was where i left on console

Yep, I'm downloading the Windows Store version and it's one and same version that also shows up on the "Xbox" GamePass app on Windows.
Can't wait to resume my adventure!

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game on a PC in 4K at 144 FPS is glorious. Just glorious.

I'll also add that it seems like the best console-to-PC port that Square Enix (on the Japanese side) has ever done. Mouse and Keyboard controls work the way one would hope for them to, and my only gripe would be that you can't easily quite the game once you've exited to the title screen. There's no longer any weird pre-launch settings windows or any of that crap I've come to expect from SE PC games. It's a beautifully done PC version.

I didn't realize that the Windows Store version was play anywhere, I would've totally bought it there instead of Steam had I realized.

Last edited: