• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about the sales of this game.
I want it to do well.

This thread isn't moving much. Is it a bad sign.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
watching the tim rogers video, i didn't know auto-advancing the cutscenes was a feature added in S, i assumed it was in the original as well. it's a great new feature, based on my time with the demo.

I want it to do well.

i wouldn't be worried, it'll sell fine.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So DQ 1 and 3 are good to play and 2 is not just fun to play. That is good to know. I have read that DQ 3 is pretty loved in all its iterations. Thanks for your detailed input, much appreciated :)

DQXI also has some loose connections with DQIII, so it's worthwhile to play for some minor background lore building.

The Dragon Quest series, some of the earlier games were formed into a loose trilogy. 1,2, and 3 are part of the Erdrick / Loto Trilogy, and Dragon Quest 4,5, and 6 are the Zenithian Trilogy.

Basically DQ9 through 10 are standalone entries with no overall arching connections to the rest of the games. Although DQ9 has some cameos in the forms of old characters and bosses. DQ11 itself is also standalone but has some implied connections with DQIII. So of the original three games. I'd say the 3rd is the best one to pick up mainly on the basis that might enrich the experience of DQ11.

I want it to do well.

The game JUST came out Today for the Switch. I haven't got my copy yet for example. Also keep in mind the game doesn't exist in a bubble at ERA. Not all discussion or people interested in this game will be discussing it here. Not that a games success or lack thereof has any correlation with the amount of discussion or posts on a forum anyways.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing with extra strong enemies. Hopefully I won't regret that.

I want it to do well.

I normally ignore OT's until I beat the game, but now I will post here a lot so you can sleep well at night. :>

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Still early in US and on a work day, I'd imagine it'll pick up quite a bit in, say, 8-10 hours and through the weekend :)
Didn't Japan basically used to shut down when a new DQ game got released? Maybe different series. I know they had a thing where I think DQ was forbidden from being released during the week or something

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Japan basically used to shut down when a new DQ game got released? Maybe different series. I know they had a thing where I think DQ was forbidden from being released during the week or something

Japan LOVES DQ for sure, the forbidden to release on weekdays bit may be an urban myth (I honestly don't know) but that's the story. DQ is not near as popular in the west but XI, as far as I can tell, has the widest appeal of any DQ game in the west (for good reason) and hopefully the Switch release elevates it further still.

Oct 27, 2017
I made it a little ways into the demo but I stopped because I wanted to wait for the full game and get that DQ8 field music. That crapass DQ11 field theme is so bad. Cant wait as I skipped the PS4 version. Been looking forward to playing this for awhile!

Does anybody know if they are aware about that annoying "advance text when moving the analog stick" thing? Its one thing that really gets to me while playing.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a Switch a few weeks ago and decided to download the demo (since I was looking something turn based to play) and uh, the demo sold me. I'm picking up my copy after work today and I'm stoked to dive in

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can, but the quests are in 2D. so you don't have to play the main game in 2D, but those quests will be in 2D nonetheless.

Thanks, that's what i wanted to know. :) I know that the quests will be in 2D, i just wanted to know if i can access them in the 3D version of the game. So i can experience some of the 16bit glory without playing the 2D mode.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
I loved this game on the PS4 so much that I platted it twice in English and played through the JP version. Really tempted to grab this but i'm so busy at the moment I don't have the time for it. Will be picking up as soon as I can though!

I actually wrote a guide for the PS4/PC version and it covers everything in the original. Obviously the Switch version adds a ton more and when I get a chance to pick it up, i'll add it on to the guide but for now, some of you might want to check it out?

This looks like a great resource, thank you! One question - in the Essential Tips a reference is made to a Character Builder section, but I don't see it in the table of contents. Am I missing something?

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay so recently my PlayStation wiped all of my save data, including my DQXI that I had 50 hours into. Is this version a significant upgrade? I thought might aswell buy this if it's worth it, and the portability should make it easier to get to where I was before. But if it's only slight I guess I should just restart the PS4 version

Deleted member 32442

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
Okay so recently my PlayStation wiped all of my save data, including my DQXI that I had 50 hours into. Is this version a significant upgrade? I thought might aswell buy this if it's worth it, and the portability should make it easier to get to where I was before. But if it's only slight I guess I should just restart the PS4 version
please read the thread(especially teh OP) this question came up quite a lot now

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's A LOT added to this version of the game. beside being graphically inferior, this version is really the definitive edition. there's a summary of the new stuff in the OP.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can't overstate how well written the story recaps are. It's been like 3 weeks since I finished the demo and I easily remember exactly where I left off thanks to the recap as I booted the game up. My retention for some details can be kind of weak and the recaps keep everything in order succinctly.

Also, love the new content introduction pretty much right after the demo section ended, lol, kinda nice as a returning PS4 player for me to get to dive into some prominent new gameplay content right away.

Finally, I've adored crafting since last years release but being able to bust out the forge anywhere makes finding new recipes an absolute joy!

Loved this game last year but now it's next level amazing!

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This looks like a great resource, thank you! One question - in the Essential Tips a reference is made to a Character Builder section, but I don't see it in the table of contents. Am I missing something?

I'm actually glad you mentioned that, I didn't have a chance to upload everything because I was playing around with different setups and wanted to see if anything changed in the Switch version.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Swords or Greatswords for harder enemies mode?

I'd say it depends on where you are in the game. If you're doing Hard enemies + No shops, then you have a ton of money for respecs.

In general, 2H hits harder & has some great heavy damage single-target skills for bosses. 1H gets you more defense & some shields have nice effects. Also, I think 1H is better for crits/multi-hits.

One fun thing is that your assigned skill points don't have to connect to the starting point. So for example, you could travel to the +25 Attack passive that's just above the Greatswords category, then refund the Greatsword skill points & then invest in the Sword category while keeping the +25 Attack.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it depends on where you are in the game. If you're doing Hard enemies + No shops, then you have a ton of money for respecs.

In general, 2H hits harder & has some great heavy damage single-target skills for bosses. 1H gets you more defense & some shields have nice effects. Also, I think 1H is better for crits/multi-hits.

One fun thing is that your assigned skill points don't have to connect to the starting point. So for example, you could travel to the +25 Attack passive that's just above the Greatswords category, then refund the Greatsword skill points & then invest in the Sword category while keeping the +25 Attack.

Ah, that's a good trick. I'm still early in the game, a bit before the part where you get party members 3 and 4, but I haven't specced anything yet! The combat is pretty hairy with stronger monsters so I'm looking for any advantage.

It's such a big contrast. Base game is ludicrously easy, harder monsters mode is -- if anything, perhaps a little too hard. But I'm staying with it.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
DQXI also has some loose connections with DQIII, so it's worthwhile to play for some minor background lore building.

The Dragon Quest series, some of the earlier games were formed into a loose trilogy. 1,2, and 3 are part of the Erdrick / Loto Trilogy, and Dragon Quest 4,5, and 6 are the Zenithian Trilogy.

Basically DQ9 through 10 are standalone entries with no overall arching connections to the rest of the games. Although DQ9 has some cameos in the forms of old characters and bosses. DQ11 itself is also standalone but has some implied connections with DQIII. So of the original three games. I'd say the 3rd is the best one to pick up mainly on the basis that might enrich the experience of DQ11.

The game JUST came out Today for the Switch. I haven't got my copy yet for example. Also keep in mind the game doesn't exist in a bubble at ERA. Not all discussion or people interested in this game will be discussing it here. Not that a games success or lack thereof has any correlation with the amount of discussion or posts on a forum anyways.
Ah thank you already completed DQ11 on PC
, I was suprised when the ending showed Edrick and his legacy. Thank you for the input. So I will take my focus on DQ 3 foremost then.

Last edited:

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expected something behind the waterfall in Cobblestone, but all I found was an invisible wall.
Nvm, this game is bad.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I had a good time with Greatswords. There are skills for high single-target damage (bosses) and group damage (mobs).

Eventually with 1H swords you get
dual wielding
which is fun once that is available, but before then I prefer Great.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Can't decide if I want to jump back on this after getting 20 hours into the PC version on release, or dive into the DS copy of DQV that I have yet to touch aaah

Nov 13, 2017
I still wish this released closer to the hype of the Hero launch and further away from the hype of Links Awakening. I want to purchase it to support it, but I played the hell out of the PS4 version.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused as to why they felt the need to add the 'S' + 'Definitive Edition'. There's only one Dragon Quest XI 'S', so just leaving it at that or dropping the S and adding Definitive Edition would have been fine. Not that it's a problem, but yeah, long name.
From what i can tell DQ seems to really like their long names
DQ IX: Sentinals of the starry sky
DQ II : Luminaries of the legendary line
DQ Heroes : The World Tree's woe and the Blight Below
DQ V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
so them doing that doesnt seem surprising

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the Tim Roger's video about the changes in this version and man, even without new content the QOL updates make it a must. The party following you outside of battles is such a small change that makes a huge difference for me.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Greatsword for the first half of the game, sword and shield is somewhat necessary later on as some shields have elemental resists that will save your life, and the sword will have access to some elemental attacks. (Although in my experience, these were kind of underwhelming).

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I'm having a tough time with the standard difficulty, so I'm not sure why everyone is saying its too easy.
I also fight everything I find on the overworld, even in dungeons... haha.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What should I buy before leaving Cobblestone? Are bandana and Wayfarer's Clothes recommended?
Or should I save my money for now?

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm still undecided on 2D vs 3D.. Seems like when you switch you can go pretty far back multiple chapters?
I may do 3D act 1, go back to the start in 2D... and repeat the same process for act 2 and 3.

Will make me overpowered (especially in 2D) but I've already platinum'd the game on PS4. I'm just there for the fuzzy feelings.

Edit: Also don't @ me but the midi music in this game is great and I love the field theme. Tim is not alone.