• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
It's really neat to see things like this, another example being Sakurai giving his all for Smash Bros., all for Iwata.

He still affects so much within the game industry, even 4 years after his death.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
suddenly it all makes sense. i never understood why SE announced a game for NX long before the platform was revealed.
Horii announced the game - not SE.

SE was ready and willing to go all in on Sony/PS4 (w 3DS version for Japan). Horii spilling the beans about a NX version probably wasnt what the SE suits wanted having out in the public at that point.

SE suits probably expected to be able to cancel a potential NX version down the line if the system had bombed - their tune only REALLY changed after Switch initial sales and XB2/Octopath showing off that there is a strong market for the kind of games they make.

It's really neat to see things like this, another example being Sakurai giving his all for Smash Bros., all for Iwata.

He still affects so much within the game industry, even 4 years after his death.
+ Nintendo Direct and the format still influencing other parties to this date.

He was a visionary and knew very early after the 3DS/WiiU how the next system would need to look like and what mistakes they couldnt afford in a post Smartphone word. Other companies might have made the jump to the next system earlier, but he knew that they needed to do right by the WiiU owners first even though that system was a massive failure they kept releasing games on it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

SE was ready and willing to go all in on Sony/PS4 (w 3DS version for Japan). Horii spilling the beans about a NX version probably wasnt what the SE suits wanted having out in the public at that point.

SE suits probably expected to be able to cancel a potential NX version down the line if the system had bombed - their tune only REALLY changed after Switch initial sales and XB2/Octopath showing off that there is a strong market for the kind of games they make.

DQ XI S was the first Switch game announced.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i might be mistaken, but horii first mentioned NX mid-2015, but then SE confirmed the NX version mid-2016, before the system's release or its success being proven. and then they re-iterated their decision by featuring the game in the january 2017 switch reveal event.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
i might be mistaken, but horii first mentioned NX mid-2015, but then SE confirmed the NX version mid-2016, before the system's release or its success being proven. and then they re-iterated their decision by featuring the game in the january 2017 switch reveal event.

You arent wrong,
but they did that because Horii forced their hand on this one.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

SE strategy has been pretty clear, they did everything to make the Switch the perfect home for the Dragon Quest franchise (you already have DQH1&2, DQB1&2, DQX and DQXIS on the thing). It is a sound strategy since DQ relies a lot on JP sales and Switch was the best contender at being the successful platform there.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
well, Horii IS dragon quest, he doesn't technically work for SE, and they don't have the option to not listen to him. so i guess you do have a point, it was more Horii who honored Iwata's request, not SE.
Yeah - and Horii and Iwata were right about preparing DQ for the Switch.
I dont think SE on their own would have been willing to take that risk during that time - their focus was the PS4 release and they probably didnt want to ask questions about the potential NX/Switch release for years to come lol.
SE strategy has been pretty clear, they did everything to make the Switch the perfect home for the Dragon Quest franchise (you already have DQH1&2, DQB1&2, DQX and DQXIS on the thing). It is a sound strategy since DQ relies a lot on JP sales and Switch was the best contender at being the successful platform there.

Most of that happened after the Switch was a proven success and because Nintendo made it happen - i dont think they were this high on the system when Horii pledged the support.

But enough of it (from me) - this thread about Iwata getting one of his final demands/projects realized.
I credit Iwata and Ā“Horii for the home DQ has today on the Switch - SE can profit from it now as the publisher and were full on board when the Switch took off.....but yeah.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the recent stuff with Sakurai and now the devs on DQ about giving their all and fulfilling a promise to a friend has been making me so sad.
404799662772584468.png

Apr 24, 2018
I love the fact that even after his passing, you never hear negative comments about Iwata yet hear/see so many genuine tributes. Seems like he truly was an inspiring and wonderful human being which is few and far between at the top of most public companies imho.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, thread derailment
I guess that is nice. Really don't care for Iwata. I care for DQ and Horii.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very touching story, Iwata was truly special.

It does make me wonder how much of the third party weirdness in regards to Switch is due to his untimely passing though. Some relationships seems to have severely weakened and I wonder if it was because they were based on Iwata's personal efforts.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The era trying to get me banned for my opinion? You have some class. I have zero attachment for Iwata. He does nothing for me.
I said it was nice. I would be into DQ either way without Iwata. It is a great tribute but I don't care personally. Why is that hard to understand?
Chill a bit - the man died, no need to act like some spoiled child.
He was important for the expanding the DQ franchise in the west - i dont see how you can care about DQ yet disregard his achievements like that.

You also know that this is somewhat of a sensitive topic - so what does your " I dont care about Iwata" bring to the table ?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said it was nice. I would be into DQ either way without Iwata. It is a great tribute but I don't care personally. Why is that hard to understand?
it's not hard to understand, you don't have to care for iwata, but to come into a thread about him just to say you don't care about him is a bit... tone-deaf i guess.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
"I'm going to enter this thread about how Dragon Quest being on the Switch was thanks to a man who has passed away from an illness and let people know that I specifically don't care for that man."

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that is nice. Really don't care for Iwata. I care for DQ and Horii.
I mean, the thread topic is specifically about Iwata.
And maybe for you, but for a lot of people who got into them through the NES, Iwata was a big part in fixing the original Dragon Quest for the western release. Iwata's part of the Dragon Quest legacy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And maybe for you, but for a lot of people who got into them through the NES, Iwata was a big part in fixing the original Dragon Quest for the western release. Iwata's part of the Dragon Quest legacy.
wow, i had no idea iwata was actually involved with the very first DQ localization. thanks for that bit of trivia.
this make his final wish regarding the series even more special ;_;

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... This is so sad, beautiful and relieving at the same time. Thank you Iwata for everything. Thanks for being inspirational. Thanks for being a player. I know why I make bad Switch begging threads. This made me even more happy I already pre-ordered Dragon Quest XI S and I already know the team can be happy about their accomplishment.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Can't want to enjoy the hard work they've done in his name. It seems to have really paid off.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Stories like this, Smash, and Breath of the Wild makes me miss him. I still remember hearing of his passing. Only a few celebrities deaths hit me that hard c

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Developers put lots of hard work into bringing game across to Switch with lots of extra content and keeping it looking technically great.

"Thanks Iwata-san." Seriously? XD

I know I'm going to get a million notifications from irate fans, but I find this super disrespectful to the people who've been crunching to get the game done.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Developers put lots of hard work into bringing game across to Switch with lots of extra content and keeping it looking technically great.

"Thanks Iwata-san." Seriously? XD

I know I'm going to get a million notifications from irate fans, but I find this super disrespectful to the people who've been crunching to get the game done.
jesus, what's up with people? what are you even talking about?