• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow this sounds wonderful. Up to now, other than the 16bit mode, there wasn't that much in this version that truly had me excited for it (aside from me looking for an excuse to replay it of course), but now this is something else.

I'm beyond excited to play as Sylvando, Erik and Veronica. Hell, maybe Jade will finally get some due respect too. Can't wait.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's weird that people complain so much about this, but not the 'unique benefits for PS4 owners'' Avengers gets, or the COD dlc stuff. I suppose PS4 owners are not used to getting inferior versions.

I played DQ11 on Steam and it's fucked that the new stuff is not announced for the platform yet. This is nothing to do with console wars so get that shit out of here.

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like an awful lot of assumption to be honest.
Think of it this way, the reason why the Switch version was delayed from the development cycle (Square wanted day and date releases) was because Unreal 4.15 was the version that had full Switch support, while the PS4 version in Japan was 4.13. That was the then official reason why that particular delay happened, because development ran into problems having that work in a timely manner. Now at this point in time, the PS4 and PC version were already being done for the west, when 4.19 was publicly live (so the possibility of the Western release being updated past 4.15 is high).

There is almost no logical reason why the Japanese PS4 shouldn't be getting ANY of the features the worldwide release PS4 had at the very least. Now two years in. Unless the team decided they would have too much trouble reimplementing those features into an older version of Unreal 4 and moved on to implement those features on a build they were still developing in the first place. The Switch version.

To top it all off, none of the other multiplat releases Square has done in the last 5 years have had this problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all this content they've announced, they must be adding like dozens of hours of content, right? Great value for Switch owners
another thing that's going to add a lot of playtime is the retro areas from the past 10 games (these were in the 3DS version but not the ps4/pc versions). you do three quests in each of the past 10 games (so 30 quests).
there's also the new audio drama dlc which is ~6 hours in length, but that hasn't been confirmed for the western localization yet.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Dragon Quest Builders 2 has really put me in a Dragon Quest kind of mood, and now I can't wait to sink my teeth into a new more traditional game in the series.

Can we switch between 2D and 3D at any point? Or is it that you pick one and play the whole game that way?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
They really give this version a lot of extra content.

It's weird that people complain so much about this, but not the 'unique benefits for PS4 owners'' Avengers gets, or the COD dlc stuff. I suppose PS4 owners are not used to getting inferior versions.
I dont think its that wierd actually. It variates from game to game, some games/content are more desireable than others. And if people already own the platform that a game is released on, theres less reason to complain because then one already get access to said content. Same reason why we probably dont see many mainly Switch owners complain about DQXI S. Content can also be timed exclusive (like CoD DLC), and then it will come eventually (i've seen several people complain about timed exclusives though).

EDIT: Saw the mod post. Technically i didnt ask for a port or anything like that :) But a mod can edit my post or remove it if needed.

Last edited:

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
This game is going to take over my life when it comes out. I was already afraid of the necessary commitment to beat the main story.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
dabbled in some other dq since viii, but this really feels like the followup i've been waiting for - and that it's so packed with stuff means i'll probably drop 100+ hours into it like it's a xenoblade or something.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about Dragon Quest XI S and the features which are currently exclusive to switch. Please do not derail the thread asking for this new content on PS4/PC. That aspect can be discussed in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-are-people-so-angry-about-dragon-quest-xi-s.99577/
It's almost ironic this has to be posted, considering it's usually the other way around. I'm still debating whether I should get this or not. The only thing that's preventing me from doing so is whether the game will run at a consistent framerate. It's difficult when you go from 1440p/60fps PC to something like sub 1080p/30fps on the Switch. The extra features are juicy though.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
dabbled in some other dq since viii, but this really feels like the followup i've been waiting for - and that it's so packed with stuff means i'll probably drop 100+ hours into it like it's a xenoblade or something.

If you liked DQ8, you would've adored the vanilla version of this. It's already an amazing package on PS4/PC and they're really going above and beyond for the Switch version. I've never been this excited to buy a game twice and I doubt I will be again.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Can't wait to play through this again. Just hope portable resolution isn't like 480p low.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
another thing that's going to add a lot of playtime is the retro areas from the past 10 games (these were in the 3DS version but not the ps4/pc versions). you do three quests in each of the past 10 games (so 30 quests).
there's also the new audio drama dlc which is ~6 hours in length, but that hasn't been confirmed for the western localization yet.
Yup, and both major story additions sound like fun extra additions (or ports from the 3ds version, although iirc the 3ds had 3d retro areas while Switch has them in 2d), so I'm thrilled to be picking this up in 2 months.

Does the game have any additional costumes for characters, incidentally?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder how intense this will be on the Switch battery life. Hoping to at least get 3+ hours on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
i loved that in 4! but i'm not sure if these new chapters will be playable before the main game starts, or if they're post-game.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's the same as IV structure wise with how they fit into the game, but the party members having their own little stories where they're the playable character still brings that to mind

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
O.o
So much content.
This will be my first DQ game, and I can't wait!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the game have any additional costumes for characters, incidentally?
for western players, i don't think so. there's the dq8 costumes for two of the characters which are new for japanese players but were already in the western localization.
there's one new feature about costumes in this version tho. you can wear a costume if you like how it looks but don't like its stats, without it changing those stats.

although iirc the 3ds had 3d retro areas while Switch has them in 2d
yeah, in the 3ds version the areas from 1 to 6 were in 2d and the areas from 7 to 10 were in 3d, in the switch version all ten games are in 2d.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
If you liked DQ8, you would've adored the vanilla version of this. It's already an amazing package on PS4/PC and they're really going above and beyond for the Switch version. I've never been this excited to buy a game twice and I doubt I will be again.

it's really hard for me to put in any amount of time on gaming on the tv anymore. if i'm playing games at home, it's usually a multiplayer game, or it's while something's on in the background and i can play on switch anyway. so this is basically perfect. glad to hear the main game is great too.

dqviii really appealed to a sense of adventure i love in games - it felt like a new skies of arcadia in a few ways.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Same here. I skipped all other mainline DQ games after VIII. And it's been so long since VIII.

Can't wait to spend countless hours on this one. Glad I skipped the Ps4 version.

I might get Builder 2 to keep me busy until this release. Hearing many great things about that one.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I skipped all other mainline DQ games after VIII. And it's been so long since VIII.

Can't wait to spend countless hours on this one. Glad I skipped the Ps4 version.

I might get Builder 2 to keep me busy until this release. Hearing many great things about that one.

builders 1 is already a lot of fun on its own, and while the sequel sounds different, it should be a pretty safe bet.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, more JRPG content in a big JRPG to begin with. Oh boy, this week also has Fire Emblem that seemingly has a shit-ton of content.

My time. I need some clones. ;_;

At this point, i gotta say the stuff they tweaked and added, it's really almost like P4 Golden.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
That's a good point. Are people as pissed about Persona 5 having a seperate Royal version without the extras being DLC? I don't like the game, so I haven't been following it,.
Actually yes. People want it available as DLC as they have already bought the standard game and supported them in the beginning. A re-release in the same console generation with extra content, different platform or not, without being able to get those extras as DLC (Having to buy the ENTIRE game again for full price), is a bit shit.

It's pretty much the same thing that's going off here with Dragon Quest, only with Persona they don't have to spend £300 on a new console to play it (if they haven't got a Switch already).

But still, £50 to play a 100 hour game that you've already played and own, but with some QoL updates and a few hours extra content... It's a bit of an "up yours".

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit aside, this does look like a great addition. I noticed the boat driver in one of the screens as a party member which is amazing lol
i think enough people complained about that too....are you really in the game of comparing who is 'worse'?

Don't bother, he's incapable of seeing why people are upset by this.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop complaining, embrace and double dip two of the best jRPG of this generation, full price, both Japanese and International copies, Limited and digital.

I know we rich.

(cry with bank account)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any mention of how long each chapter will be?
no, not yet. i can' imagine each one being shorter than a few hours, so combined they should take 20 to 30 hours at least.

Don't bother, he's incapable of seeing why people are upset by this.
i'm fully capable of that and have said in the past that it's unfair to day 1 buyers. i just don't want to see each thread i make about this game to be mostly not about the actual news.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Stop complaining, embrace and double dip two of the best jRPG of this generation.

I know we rich.

(cry with bank account)

i'll be pissed if i'm in my early 20s (where i have plenty of time to replay RPGs due to differences in different version and yet barely enough funds to buy multiple copies of the same game)..

now at the mid-30s where i can actually afford buying whatever i want without batting an eyelid (i just preordered an ASUS ROG Mothership...look it up on the price of that monster) and yet as hard as i try to be 'angry'...that's nothing for me to by angry about. I most definitely can double or triple dip a game at my current financial status and yet do not have the desire to do so no matter how great the game is. Maybe it's all age....once i completed a game, i'll just move on to the next complete NEW game...instead of replaying the same game (no matter how much i love it originally) with new content. If i missed out on the new content, then i missed on the new content. No loss really.

But for the bros that's angry...i can totally empathized. I used to 'feel' that too...(still remember getting pissed way back when Genma Onimusha came out only for the OG Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.