• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Will double dip later for 2d mode and extra story. Don't think I'll go over draconian mode again. Had to level grind
to finish post game last boss. It was badly balanced at times and I got burned out by recycled areas.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
So glad I waited for the Switch release, the amount of content and QOL features added look great in comparison to the PS4 version.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
No idea they were releasing a bundle in Japan only.

The pattern on the back of the Switch looks 👌

Dragon-Quest-XI-S-Hardware-Special-Edition-Japan_06-12-19_001.jpg
Damn, that looks gorgeous!! I love the monsters on the back of the Switch and the dock design. I want one!!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played XI recently.
What does S offer over the original, besides 2D and orchestra?
list of the new features coming to the game in this version:

- "super fast" battle speed
- japanese VA
- party members follow you on the field
- you can call your horse from anywhere on the field
- killing enemies while on the horse earns you XP
- the 2D mode from the 3DS version (you can play the whole game like a SNES RPG, and can toggle between 2D and 3D mid-game)
- orchestrated music, can switch back to MIDI (it's still not clear whether everything is orchestrated or not, but field and battle themes are confirmed)
- new story content, focusing on each of the party members
- more monsters to ride
- the retro areas from the 3DS version are back, you get to revisit areas from each of the past 10 dragon quest games
- more marriage options (you can choose to "live with" male characters as well)
- there's going to be an audio drama DLC coming after launch

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I played XI recently.
What does S offer over the original, besides 2D and orchestra?

From the OP:

- "super fast" battle speed
- japanese VA
- party members follow you on the field
- you can call your horse from anywhere on the field
- killing enemies while on the horse earns you XP
- the 2D mode from the 3DS version (you can play the whole game like a SNES RPG, and can toggle between 2D and 3D mid-game)
- orchestrated music, can switch back to MIDI (it's still not clear whether everything is orchestrated or not, but field and battle themes are confirmed)
- new story content, focusing on each of the party members
- more monsters to ride
- the retro areas from the 3DS version are back, you get to revisit areas from each of the past 10 dragon quest games
- more marriage options (you can choose to "live with" male characters as well)
- there's going to be an audio drama DLC coming after launch

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of those blue joycons are bundle only or would we be able to buy the joycons only?

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Can't wait for this. After Xenoblade 2 my Switch can use another RPG. The portability and speed up option will make grinding much easier. Maybe I'll play through Draconian mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
we don't know the extent of the new story, just this:

Oh, that kind of sounds like where you played the characters before they met up with the main character and became part of that story in DQ4. If that's what they are I wonder if they'll be integrated into the game to have that kind of structure or just be like selectable flashback type chapters or something.

I haven't played the game so I don't know if that would even work lol, just the first thing that I thought of from that description

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that kind of sounds like where you played the characters before they met up with the main character and became part of that story in DQ4. If that's what they are I wonder if they'll be integrated into the game to have that kind of structure or just be like selectable flashback type chapters or something.

I haven't played the game so I don't know if that would even work lol, just the first thing that I thought of from that description
oh right! i've played 4 but i forgot about that aspect, this could be similar to that.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
"With the backing of a full orchestra" was a slap in the face for everyone who purchased the PS4 version.

If the orchestra soundtrack is so important to some, they should not had bought the PS4 version. There seems quite a few people who did not bought the game because of its obvious shortcomings, like the "midi" music.

Anyway the PS4/PC version sold mediocre, so Square probably thought they should improve the game for Switch, or Nintendo forced this improvements because they are publishing it.

I mean they seem to have fixed all issues people had with the PS4 version and than improved everything skyhigh on top of that.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
No idea they were releasing a bundle in Japan only.

The pattern on the back of the Switch looks 👌

Dragon-Quest-XI-S-Hardware-Special-Edition-Japan_06-12-19_001.jpg
Wait, wait: "Japanese / English voice switching downloadable content".

Oh, this might be import time since I need another Switch anyway as kids are permanently occupying the first one. The only thing that is stopping me are the reports of revised models.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
I can confirm you that the game is fully orchested and you can change between dq11 and 8 music on the go.

Also this trailler looks clean!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, wait: "Japanese / English voice switching downloadable content".
i don't understand that bit, the game has both japanese and english VA in the western version, it's weird if the VA is dlc in japan

I can confirm you that the game is fully orchested and you can change between dq11 and 8 music on the go.

Also this trailler looks clean!

does that trailer confirm that the game is fully orchestrated?

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is published by Nintendo, so its not likely to come to other systems right? If so I'm probably in day one, if not I'd probably want to get it with higher fidelity.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Already platinumed the PS4 version, but I think I will for sure end up getting this for the 2D stuff, which even if they patch or add DLC for the PS4 version later, that won't be part of it so fuck it why not.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
i'm sorry i don't get it, what does this mean?

In the on-game music menu. One of the option you can enable is dragon quest 11 or 8 music. For example the open area music in dq11 can be switched to the open area music from dq 8.

Also by the look of that trailler, dq11s looks like the best graphics on switch, IMO.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the on-game music menu. One of the option you can enable is dragon quest 11 or 8 music. For example the open area music in dq11 can be switched to the open area music from dq 8.

Also by the look of that trailler, dq11s looks like the best graphics on switch, IMO.
got it, i'm reading the twitter account now, there's A LOT of new stuff.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'll grab this down the line at some point. I have so many games to go through, but the PS4 version was amazing, and this looks even better.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
extremely happy that they went with 2D art for the western cover (like the japanese release) instead of the previous 3D renders

medium_91amrueeqvl._aqwkyz.jpg

also there's a weird japanese controller released alongside the game by HORI.

ogshwzelybkva.jpg

yjwibrwleij3s.jpg

damn, that bundle is going to SELL!
Oh man, a Slime controller, somebody alert Tiny Cartridge!

Also, are those new blue joycon? Or just skins. If they're totally new joycon I MUST HAVE THEM! Couldn't care less about DQ but I have a full joycon set (save for dev and labo).

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how much nostalgia I have for a game I played last year. When I look at these screens I get transported and really want to play it again on Switch. Not sure I'll take the plunge right away since there are so many other games but I'm so happy it's coming.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, had no idea the 2D mode is offered for the whole game! I thought those sections were only for the 3DS exclusive nostalgia quests. That's great there is a toggle.

This version really is living up to the Definitive name branding.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
It's coming out for my birthday (and Link Awakening is 7 days before)...lots of potential presents lol Also it makes me all nostalgic because DQ5 SFC also came out also the day of my birthday and it was...27 years ago ! Damn, I was 14 ! Time sure does fly !

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, had no idea the 2D mode is offered for the whole game! I thought those sections were only for the 3DS exclusive nostalgia quests. That's great there is a toggle.

I haven't played the game but I remember read in the OT about how it was very interesting to play the 3DS version to advance faster with the PS4 version lmao. It was a interesting gimmick and I'm happy you can recreate it here

Oct 26, 2017
Just to confirm, all the updates and features in the Switch version, will they come to the PS4 version, as well? I'd prefer to go PS4 for performance/graphical reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.