• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
i'm good with 720p/30fps in handheld

don't care about battery life since i'm never taking it out of the house anyway.

time to decide: 2D or 3D first.

good god i cannot pick

Also sounds like the GX people who played the demo really liked it. Looking forward to a review where they heap praise upon it :)

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Me: Do I really need to double di-

*slapped with new content*

Me: But how much more could there really b-

*slapped with even more new content*

Me: Alright fine goddamn.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I'd love to play this at 4K 60 on my
PC, this version seems like a great one content wise and I haven't played it yet.

My hope is for native res and a locked 30. Will I be disappointed? Yes. Do I want them to port it to pc? Yes. Do I have faith in good running ports on Switch anymore? No.
Play it in 2D mode - this will solve all potential problems. :-)

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
User warned: ignoring staff post
I played it on PC, so the music wasn't a problem since I just used the orchestrated mod, but I know PS players didn't have that opportunity. I get that later editions always have added on content, but they should at least add the orchestrated music to all versions because it really feels like a whole different game with it. I am a bit envious of the extra content that this version gets as I absolutely loved the game and would absolutely welcome more content for it, but it is what it is. I don't have a Switch and even if I did I probably wouldn't double dip as it would be quite jarring going from 4k/60 to whatever it's gonna be on the Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch audience is going to eat this game. Should do pretty well imo.
hard to say just how well it's gonna do. Zelda will suck up a lot of air, but it shouldn't be as bad as being saddled around Spider-Man and Tomb Raider. it should outsell the PS4/PC version (in the west), but the question is how much

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Sucks that the other versions will not get the content but I am planning to buy this for my future switch

The 2D mode alone convinced me to triple dip but all this content is icing on th cake!

Wait what? Retro worlds? As in the whole world or like a town or area?

Basically you can unlock areas of old DQs (around 5 per game) to play through these sidequests. Completing them gives you a statue representing the game.

Here's a video of a guy giving a rundown of them from the Japanese 3DS version MINOR SPOILERS

A HUGE difference here is that in the 3DS version these were unlocked with a special Streetpass minigame and the worlds for DQ I-VI used authentic graphics for each game (VII-X just use the same Chibi 3D graphics the main game uses)

DQ1=Original "Crab Walk" Famicom graphics
DQ2=SNES Remake (DQV Engine)
DQ3=SNES Remake (DQVI Engine)
DQ4=Original NES game
DQ5=Original SNES game (with Deborah retroactively added)
DQ6=Original SNES game)

But so far, it looks like the Switch version is using the SAME DQVI-based 2D style for ALL the DQ games (maybe because it looks better in HD and/or there's less "nostalgia" for these old graphics since a lot of these games didn't come out in NA originally)

going to be hard to get used to low framerate and resolution.
it looks so beautiful on pc :(

I know :( I got a new CPU JUST to play DQXI in top form. I think I'm going to make my Switch playthrough in 2D to keep it fresh.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, they're really packing it to the brim. Cannot wait to pick this up.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
hard to say just how well it's gonna do. Zelda will suck up a lot of air, but it shouldn't be as bad as being saddled around Spider-Man and Tomb Raider. it should outsell the PS4/PC version (in the west), but the question is how much
Dragon Quest Builders 2 seems like it's doing really well and that was released on another busy month.

This will do even better no doubt.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure this will do very well. both SE in japan and nintendo outside japan have been doing A LOT of advertising for it, nintendo has featured it in the past several directs and getting the hero into smash is advertising that money can't buy, and in japan for the past several months SE has been marketing it like it's a whole new release. i expect it to easily become the best selling version of the game in the end.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
And I've seen some Pokémon fans saying that they're interested in picking up Dragon Quest XI S after seeing a graphical comparison video between Pokémon Sword & Shield and Dragon Quest XI S. So I'm cautiously optimistic Dragon Quest XI S will sell better than expected outside of Japan.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
well actually we knew the game will have new story and that it'll focus on each of the characters since february, but the details and the fact that each one is getting a whole separate solo quest is new information.

Ah ok

You all better not sleep on this game especially if you're any at all interested in JRPGs.

Definitely won't. Hopefully this will be the first JRPG on the Switch I won't get eventually bored of and drop.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
And I've seen some Pokémon fans saying that they're interested in picking up Dragon Quest XI S after seeing a graphical comparison video between Pokémon Sword & Shield and Dragon Quest XI S. So I'm cautiously optimistic Dragon Quest XI S will sell better than expected outside of Japan.

Came across this a few days ago. That might be part of it :p

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
i'm sure this will do very well. both SE in japan and nintendo outside japan have been doing A LOT of advertising for it, nintendo has featured it in the past several directs and getting the hero into smash is advertising that money can't buy, and in japan for the past several months SE has been marketing it like it's a whole new release. i expect it to easily become the best selling version of the game in the end.

PS4 version has to be sitting close to if not over 2m. That's gonna be a tough act for the Switch to follow.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this game breaks out with this release. It really seems to be shaping up to be SE's best effort for the series in a long, long time.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't because they never did before.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine playing even more of the game. To complete the full game and than the post game true ending - it will take you around 100 hours.

By the time I was done on PC I was DONE with it and the battle engine drew me super weary.

Oct 25, 2017
i would go as high as 40-50.
this game will probably last me all the way until the end of 2019. bye pokemon and doom eternal, see yall in 2020.

That's unlikely. I can't imagine the side chapters having much meat to them, and the 2D sections are generally much quicker than the pace the HD events and scenarios happen at.

I'm kind of expecting the side areas to be FF4: The After Years-level of recycled content.

Do people have a good estimate for how much shorter the 2D version of the game was relative to the PS4 version, at least for the content that roughly appears in both versions?

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Every month they keep revealing something new added to this game...I can't take it.....I am really looking forward to this game.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Gah, this is getting better and better. This will be my fourth time buying DQXI and I'm just as excited as I was the first time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders 2 seems like it's doing really well and that was released on another busy month.

Nah, DQB2's PAL results seem meh on Switch; they just happen to be terrible on PS4.
PS4 version has to be sitting close to if not over 2m. That's gonna be a tough act for the Switch to follow.

If the Switch version somehow sold 2m copies it would call into question why SE prioritised PS4 even more...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's unlikely. I can't imagine the side chapters having much meat to them, and the 2D sections are generally much quicker than the pace the HD events and scenarios happen at.
there'll be a new quest for each of the characters, i can't imagine them being shorter than 2 or 3 hours each, so that's 20 hours at least.
finishing all the retro quests will probably take 10 or 15 hours.
then there's the 5 hour voice drama.
also there's new side quests, iirc.
and all of that is assuming you'll stick to just 2D or 3D and won't want to play both modes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what's the replay value for this game? Sidequests?
i actually haven't played the game but based on what i've heard and read the "main story" time you see is not actually the whole game, the game technically ends there but there's actually an entire other act after you see the credits. there's also a lot of side quests and mini-games

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
That's a new weapon for the hero in the gameplay video. Japanese voices sounded lovely (I muted the english voices in the PS4 version), the orchestrated soundtrack too though I didn't have problems with the midi, I thought the music was beautiful overall. This is a day 1 buy whenever I get a switch, this game is on my top 3 this gen, it's incredible.

Nice, not quite as long as DQ7 for the main story but overall about the same. https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=40485

(I put 250 hours into DQ7 in one of my playthroughs because I absolutely needed everyone to master the Platking class so I could steamroll the bonus dungeons' bosses (AKA God)).

I'm betting all of this extra content for DQXIS adds about 20-30 hours.

I played the game twice doing pretty much everything and it was around ~125h for each playtrough.

Regarding DQ7, I played the 3ds version recently and while the game was big I felt like I spent way too much time with battles that had no interest (it's pretty much impossible to avoid enemies in small corridors, the frequency of fights was actually higher than all random based jrpgs I've played, sometimes I couldn't walk 2 steps without bumping into a enemy that spawned right where I was), so a lot of the time felt like filler to me.

In the normal difficulty DQXI is quite easy, in my first playthrough I only fought normal enemies when I saw a new monster that I haven't faced before and in my second I pretty much avoided all fights except the ones at the sea which are random. It still took me over 100h for each, there's crazy amounts of content here.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Still amaze me how now we can play games with this quality and scope in a portable device. Switch is an awesome piece of hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
there'll be a new quest for each of the characters, i can't imagine them being shorter than 2 or 3 hours each, so that's 20 hours at least.
finishing all the retro quests will probably take 10 or 15 hours.
then there's the 5 hour voice drama.
also there's new side quests, iirc.
and all of that is assuming you'll stick to just 2D or 3D and won't want to play both modes.

I sure hope the new chapters are shorter than 2-3 hours each. In some if those circumstances, they are are going to be literally the 4th arc to take place in their respective city. If they are going to be long they really need to have genuinely new dungeons and areas for them to justify their time. Otherwise they are just piling on to the game's significant problem with repeating content.

Status
Not open for further replies.