• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it open world-ish? I can bear with turn based combat, but the reason why I stopped playing JRPGs in the early 2000's is that I ended up having the impression to be on rails. And the main draw of RPGs for me was the impression of freedom, which completely disappeared once I tried WRPGs...
Yes, while the story is linear each section has some exploration a city for that moment in story

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
But that never came out in the West and in Japan cost 9k (roughly $90) yen. They wouldn't have done it if they released it worldwide for a normal price ($60) in my view.
They also did it for the JP/Asia version of FFX/X-2 HD, SE isn't afraid of springing for 32GB. Also Nintendo's eating those costs for the west since they're publishing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it open world-ish? I can bear with turn based combat, but the reason why I stopped playing JRPGs in the early 2000's is that I ended up having the impression to be on rails. And the main draw of RPGs for me was the impression of freedom, which completely disappeared once I tried WRPGs...

I haven't played this one but most DQ games are not exactly open world, while at the same time being very far from "on rails".

Generally the progression starts out more like Pokemon, where you're basically traveling through the world from town to town in more or less a linear order (sometimes not though) and there are plenty of side areas to check out, you can explore anywhere you've been at any time, but eventually once you get access to more transportation (boats, flight) the world opens up much, much more. At that point it becomes more of an open world with some story gating and some high level enemy gating.

That's also the point where you can backtrack and find secrets and other hidden stuff that you couldn't access before.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
The bonuses to the Switch version are ridiculous, goddamn. Have to reluctantly double dip

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if it does need it, i think they'll use a 32GB cart. they're definitely cheaper than they were in 2017 and for this game specifically i can't see nintendo/SE forcing a huge day 1 download.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not necessarily mad that this version gets so much stuff but I feel stupid every time I hear about new content since I got 15 or so hours into PS4 version. I know that's not much I found the base game to be a bit of drag during this time and everyone says it gets better or has more stuff later on. So idk if I start from scratch on switch, continue on PS4 version, or just give up

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not necessarily mad that this version gets so much stuff but I feel stupid every time I hear about new content since I got 15 or so hours into PS4 version. I know that's not much I found the base game to be a bit of drag during this time and everyone says it gets better or has more stuff later on. So idk if I start from scratch on switch, continue on PS4 version, or just give up

I'm the same, especially since I got DQ11 digitally. Got 20 or so hours in and fell off due to life being busy and frankly, being totally annoyed with the garbage music and total lack of difficultly. I think this version would fix some of those issues for me so I might lean into it. Though gotta say, more content on an already huge game isn't appealing haha

It's exactly like with P5, where I'm about 50 hours in. I'm always thinking "why even bother playing with the new version coming out?" But really I don't need more content!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, those additions seem massive.
I hope I like this as much as im liking DQB2 (the charm it has has a lot to do with it, and for the looks of this game it has a similar charm). Its going to be my first main DQ and im really excited.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
YES! Glad I waited for the Switch version. What an insane value this will be.

Oct 25, 2017
Think I can finish this by the time Digimon comes out? Hahaha not sure I'd even want to. Although I did the last 55 hours of DQ7 3DS in about two weeks this summer so I guess anything is possible right?

Any word on any preorder bonuses? I crutched hard on those equips that restored hp and mp in the very early game on PS4

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The two sisters get nothing? Poor them, though I haven't played the game much so I don't know if they need one depending on where they go when the group splits.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What do you guys think is the biggest addition to this S version? I'd say:
  1. 2D mode (a dramatically altered playthrough of the whole game - although technically not new for Japanese 3ds players)
  2. Character side stories (character building and additional narratives with multiple hours of play mist likely)
  3. Retro DQ worlds (not technically new, but new for the Western audience at least, and in a new art style compared to the 3ds variant of this)

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Sucks that the other versions will not get the content but I am planning to buy this for my future switch

The 2D mode alone convinced me to triple dip but all this content is icing on th cake!

What do you guys think is the biggest addition to this S version? I'd say:
  1. 2D mode (a dramatically altered playthrough of the whole game - although technically not new for Japanese 3ds players)
  2. Character side stories (character building and additional narratives with multiple hours of play mist likely)
  3. Retro DQ worlds (not technically new, but new for the Western audience at least, and in a new art style compared to the 3ds variant of this)

Wait what? Retro worlds? As in the whole world or like a town or area?

Oct 25, 2017
Also not going to lie. I really wanted this on 3DS so that I could put the boxes of 4-9 and 11 together and say look at all this mainline Dragon Quest I can play on one glorious handheld device.

But all this stuff coming to a definitive Switch version is making me very happy. I think I can finally say that I am over the 3DS version not coming here. Square-Enix has managed to smooth things over enough with me :)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is looking 720p as hell. The orchestrated music is much better. Wonder if Digital Foundry will be covering this as well

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The game is looking 720p as hell. The orchestrated music is much better. Wonder if Digital Foundry will be covering this as well
I'm not entirely sure if it changes resolution when docking, though the build I played could still be in development. Handheld image quality was really good

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure if it changes resolution when docking, though the build I played could still be in development. Handheld image quality was really good
Just got to that part of the video, actually. Given its UE4, the TAA smooths things out quite a bit. Would you say the game looks soft on the screen?

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
So it seems like Dragon Quest XI S runs at 720p at 30 fps in both docked and handheld (at least so far since the western version is still in development)?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Just got to that part of the video, actually. Given its UE4, the TAA smooths things out quite a bit. Would you say the game looks soft on the screen?
It's been around a week since I played it but I recall it looking very sharp undocked, it was perhaps a little soft but I can't say anything definitive

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It indeed looks like it's running at 720p in both modes.

I was only going to play it in handheld so it's great news.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I think the game looks great even in docked mode.

Also you have to consider that game run on mobile hardware which is much weaker than PS4 and still looks this good.

Status
Not open for further replies.