• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
DQXIS is my favorite game this year, despite how trash the soundtrack and the composer is.

I'm off work this week and I spent all day pondering if I should buy it for my Switch then I come to Resetera and see this thread 🤔
You should, though there is a demo you can try if it's your cup of tea or not. And the demo save transfer to the full game.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The orchestral music in the Switch version is great. They should really make at least that available to the other systems.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm not a big DQ fan but I did finish XI (the only other game I finished in the series was VIII), and I at least bought the Switch version despite not having any real inclination to go through it again any time soon.

But man that game is slow. Plus, they had a pretty interesting concept that they managed to completely fumble in Act 3, which was super disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Its honestly amazing how good the quality of life improvements of the Switch version are, that and the OST being orchestral

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Really can't wait to play this. Waiting for a sale on the switch copy, and need to get through xenoblade 2 first.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Like I already said earlier, it's one of my all time favorite games now. I know that it's not the kind of game that'll win most people over though. DQ XI is for people who loved and still love the NES/SNES era of RPGs, and want to play a new modern game with gameplay from that era. DQ XI nails that perfectly. It's definitely not for everyone though, and I can understand why many would find it boring. I was entranced by it the entire 135 hours I played it though, despite the disappointing music. (I played on PS4)

When so many modern games ditch this style of gameplay, I'm glad Dragon Quest XI came along and embraced it. Let us folks who miss the 90s RPGs enjoy DQ XI as it is. A true 90's RPG with a fresh coat of paint. It's an extremely rare thing.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just seeing your name I know it'll be nothing but negativity and spite. Do you ever enjoy anything? Your comments always ruin threads.

I made an account after being a lurker so I could block you. Phew.

It's really not healthy to fixate that much on people just for having an opinion that doesn't link up with your own, especially when that opinion is not at all uncommon.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, the game rules. Glad you're enjoying it OP. While I'm here I'd like to add that the complaints about the OST are overblown. It's far from the best, but it's not the horrible nightmare people make it out to be.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn right, OP. DQXI is an amazing game from start to finish. The characters and the world and the whole aesthetic just ooze so much charm. It also just feels really comfy to play. And the story, while nothing mindblowing, has some surprisingly emotional twists and turns. And while the soundtrack could definitely have used more variety, I was fine with the compositions that were there. I quite liked the overworld theme.

DQXI is definitely one of the greatest games of the gen, imo.

Oct 27, 2017
About to start act 3 now, damn near 134 hours in. It has its sloooooowwwww moments but I enjoyed it a lot. Like 80/20, Love / hate. After the major event and the split I was annoyed for a bit afterwards but it got better. It's a great game but not without flaws.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
DQ definitely has charm, and I adore the slime puns and Sylvando, but ultimately I wanted to like it more than I actually did. The whole thing just sort of plods along for a long while with relatively few twists and variation in music. Glad others are thrilled with it though!

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I found it incredibly boring and repetitive, and the overworld music made me want to die.

It was my first Dragon Quest and I leaned more towards this ^ but not as extreme lol. I liked a lot of it but did find it to be a bit repetitive. And yes... the overworld music. I think Ben Moore from Easy Allies said it best. That music is like a carnival ride you want to get off of but can't lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It was my first Dragon Quest and I leaned more towards this ^ but not as extreme lol. I liked a lot of it but did find it to be a bit repetitive. And yes... the overworld music. I think Ben Moore from Easy Allies said it best. That music is like a carnival ride you want to get off of but can't lol.

It definitely has kind of a carnival feel to it with all the DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOTs, for sure.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Really great game. Absolutely cannot agree with people calling it generic. I totally get why people would think that just looking at it, but this game really does go places you don't expect and was constantly surprising me. I think overall it's a really bold game -- it's rooted in tradition but also manages to be a totally unique and memorable experience. I can remember so many favorite moments from this game.

If I have one complaint it's that the battle system is good but not quite complex enough to hold my interest for as long as the game is. I was enjoying the battle system for the first 80 hours or so (which is saying a lot), but the game is longer than that and eventually I felt I had seen everything the battles had to offer and was getting bored in that respect. I couldn't bring myself to finish act 3, but I loved the first two acts.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Like I already said earlier, it's one of my all time favorite games now. I know that it's not the kind of game that'll win most people over though. DQ XI is for people who loved and still love the NES/SNES era of RPGs, and want to play a new modern game with gameplay from that era. DQ XI nails that perfectly. It's definitely not for everyone though, and I can understand why many would find it boring. I was entranced by it the entire 135 hours I played it though, despite the disappointed music. (I played on PS4)

When so many modern games ditch this style of gameplay, I'm glad Dragon Quest XI came along and embraced it. Let us folks who miss the 90s RPGs enjoy DQ XI as it is. A true 90's RPG with a fresh coat of paint. It's an extremely rare thing.

Excellent post. One of the best I've seen on Era to date. Nice. 👍🏻

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in Act 2 right now, maybe 40 hours in or so on the Switch version of the game.

I just cannot agree, and I really wish I was seeing what made it the game everyone is saying it is. It fails on three of the biggest aspect to play a JRPG for me.

1. The dungeons are absolutely nothing, besides for the royal library, every other area in the game was a straightforward area where you just walk through tunnels until you get to the boss.

2. The story, at least so far, is extremely generic. I know that is basically Dragon Quests calling, it's like calling Seinfeld tropey. Dragon Quest is the herald and king of being the prototypical JRPG adventure. I know some people love that and find it comfy, but for me it's just not enough to keep me enticed.

3. The combat is extremely uninspired and very basic turn based RPG mechanics with very little extra draw to it. Also the game has become dreadfully easy with zero grinding to the point where I'm able to actually just auto battle even boss fights and be fine now. I get that I could turn off auto battle and mitigate some of this issue, but I don't feel like there's enough compelling strategic maneuvers that I can pull off that it's worth me doing it manually.

Maybe all of this gets resolved in Act 3 and Post Game, but so far it's felt like someone spit shined and polished a rote JRPG with nothing noteworthy to the point of seeming like it has enough flair to be something special, but it doesn't actually have any meat behind it's money.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
2. The story, at least so far, is extremely generic. I know that is basically Dragon Quests calling, it's like calling Seinfeld tropey. Dragon Quest is the herald and king of being the prototypical JRPG adventure. I know some people love that and find it comfy, but for me it's just not enough to keep me enticed.
Would you describe things such as the mermaid scenario as generic? I feel like this hits a particular emotional note that other JRPGs don't attempt very often. These kind of highly emotional folktale-like vignettes are a pretty distinct characteristic of the Dragon Quest series in my eyes.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Would you describe things such as the mermaid scenario as generic? I feel like this hits a particular emotional note that other JRPGs don't attempt very often. These kind of highly emotional fable-like vignettes are a pretty distinct characteristic of the Dragon Quest series in my eyes.
To be perfectly honest, generic isn't the right word. Maybe I just don't like the upbeat and whimsical nature of the game where it just feels like a bunch of fable like events, there's something just a little unengaging to me about it. Which might not be the games fault more than my general lack of enjoying this sort of thing.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 35 hours in. Just started Act 2.

I love it. However I'm pretty sure I'm in the target market. Dragon Quest has been one of my favorite series since the very first game on NES. I've been playing them for 30 years and have enjoyed every one to varying degrees. i don't mind the music (I'm on the switch version, so it's the orchestrated soundtrack) and the gameplay is exactly what I want in a DQ game. The stories and visuals have been good so far, (that Act I ending cutscene was wonderful) and there have been a lot of side quests to do and hidden treasures to find. I like the crafting system, though I'm sure I've missed some recipe books along the way. (I'll use a walkthrough on the next playthrough).

Oh, and SO MANY PUNS. I laughed out loud at Dora in Grey.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Have to disagree, the game is never on my mind when I'm not playing. Certainly a fantastic comfort food sorta experience though. Would put it slightly higher than the best Tales games. The characters are certainly endearing but never captivating.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it was just okay. i played every DQ going back to the 80s (sans DQX) and kinda puzzled why DQXI is everybody's jam, but then again it's not a bad game by any metric

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I was really hyped for this before release but never got around to getting it once it came out. I still haven't finished the demo as well. Now I eally have no desire to play it snytime soon especially after I finish Cold Steel 2 going to take a break from RPGs after this.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this

definitely slow to start but t he art, characters and story are cool so far

are side quests and grinding necessary in the game? I love just mainlining the story in these types of games

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sadly I found it really boring and safe, the production values (except the music) are amazing but the story and gameplay are really bland. Really basic turn-based combat that maybe has depth but it's slow to play, and the overworld areas are uninspired (towns are fine).

I enjoyed Act I the most, Act II had too much re-used content and I didn't even bother with Act III. And if I completed 2 entire Acts is because I played a couple of games between Act I and II.

It's one of the few JRPGs that most players seem to love and I can't understand at all why.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this game on steam for ages with only a few hours played and got sidetracked with life shit. But have been playing the last week and omg I can't stop. Loving it. 26 hours in.

For reference I'm a big DQ/jrpg fan. My fav DQ is 5 and 8.

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I really like DQXI, it's probably my second favorite in the series after DQV and definitely one of the better JRPGs this gen. But I don't really understand why some people find out so relevatory? Like, it's a pretty typical JRPG just done really well, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near "best of all time" territory, and I feel that ends up overhyping the game so others can't set their expectations accordingly.