• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I love so many jrpgs but Dragon Quest was just never appealing to me. I should really give this one a go. I played the Demo till completion and just never bought the full game.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
Loved my 90 hours i put into it on pc. I'd kill for the switch content to hit other platforms so i can go back and finish it.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
It has been one of the greatest games in years for me. Of all time actually. Best Dragon Quest and one of the very best jrpg:s.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Only played the demo and loved it, would have had the full version but GameStop cancelled my order and that was the only way I could get it on sale.

Thankfully with the same order I got Fire Emblem 3 Houses, and it's also a god tier game that I've already put 40 hours into.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
It's the best jrpg of 2017 by a wide margin, possibly the jrpg of the decade for me, it's also the best dragon quest game ever made.

You're not wrong.

As long as you're taking about the Switch version.

Nah, the pc version with orchestral soundtrack mod is where it's at, the game looks absurdly pretty at 4k running at 60 fps.

Sylvando truly is <3

He is a strong contender for the best character of the generation.

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I never would have thoıgh that Level-5 abandoning the franchise would be the best thing happened to the series. Can't wait for homemade DQ12!

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this on PS4 last year but stopped due to irl stuff. Want to go back but maybe just starting over with the Switch version is the way to go.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 11 hours in and the unchanging overworld music is killing me and my wife (not in a fun way, more of a "I don't know if I can keep playing this" way).

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Indeed it is. I'm over 100 hours in now — just started Act 3 a little bit ago — and I've long since come to realize that Dragon Quest XI S was not only the best game of 2019 by a mile; it's not only incredibly special and singular; it's quite honestly the JRPG that has come closest to matching the untouchable Chrono Trigger since, well, Chrono Trigger.

Straight up, I'm saying it. DQXIS is this generation's Chrono Trigger. It's not *quite* on CT's level for the sole fact that its soundtrack is so much worse, but everything else about DQXIS marks it as far and away the best JRPG since CT took the throne in 1995.

What a deeply special game. Over 100 hours in and I'm not even close to tired of it, nor do I want it to ever end... that just doesn't happen. This game, man.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I remember, Chrono Trigger had a more interesting battle system, less repetition and grind, better music and a more interesting main plot.

Bright

Sep 15, 2018
I'm about 40 hrs in on switch and I can't believe how good it is. I usually have a hard time sticking to one game nowadays but I haven't played anything else in weeks. It's already feeling like an all time great to me.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
It actually felt like a finished game that was competently developed, which is amazing for Square Enix.

Oct 31, 2017
what makes it so special

i thought dragon quest's thing is being generic

I hate to say it but I have the same sentiments.

On top of being generic these games seem to have very basic combat with zero remotely interesting mechanics and are like 70 hours long at a minimum.

I remember slogging my way through DQVIII, and finding out I'd reached the halfway point around 40 hours in. Nope'd out very quickly afterwards. The initial charm can only enamor me for so long. Boring, extremely slow-paced and generic story, charming but relatively shallow and tropey characters, very slow-paced and uninteresting gameplay, ugh it was the definition of a slog.

Can see it being a "godly game" to traditional JRPG fans I guess

Sorry OP I shouldn't have rained on your parade I felt like being selfish and voicing my dislike of the DQ series

Last edited:

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I'm only halfway through 2D mode (playing again after in full in 3D) and its already one of the best RPG's I've played in years and years. Potential masterpiece.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
I fall into the "wtf" camp... I mean I'm playing it (switch) before bed an hour a night and it works pretty well as a sleep enhancer.

I don't get it: compared to XC2 (which it seems to want to be on the overworld) it's so laborious and padded out. The combat is getting better (mid game I think) as my options open up, and the AI tactics system is nice, but it's still pretty... meh. I DO like the boss battles and how they play out and require more strategy but they are so few and far between.

The story and characters are great (of course) but pretty tropy.

I mean FFS you don't even see armour changes on the characters, in 2019.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yes, and the Switch version is just much better except graphically, thos QoL changes are just a godsend, is just too good, best JRPG on Switch, chapters 2 and 3 are epic

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
As far as I remember, Chrono Trigger had a more interesting battle system, less repetition and grind, better music and a more interesting main plot.

Yeah, as I said — DQXIS can't quite match CT. I mean, nothing can (or at least nothing has been able to yet).

But it comes shockingly close, closer than any other JRPG has in the last 24 years, and that's saying a whole lot.

And don't sleep on DQXI's story. It starts off seeming for all the world like the most safe and traditional JRPG narrative out there, but grows and culminates into something that is anything but. Can't remember the last time a JRPG has made me care SO much over such an extended period of time, and that's partially due to an absolutely tremendous cast of characters.

Sylvando alone is probably the best character of the generation.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as I said — DQXIS can't quite match CT. I mean, nothing can (or at least nothing has been able to yet).

But it comes shockingly close, closer than any other JRPG has in the last 24 years, and that's saying a whole lot.

And don't sleep on DQXI's story. It starts off seeming for all the world like the most safe and traditional JRPG narrative out there, but grows and culminates into something that is anything but. Can't remember the last time a JRPG has made me care SO much over such an extended period of time, and that's partially due to an absolutely tremendous cast of characters.

Sylvando alone is probably the best character of the generation.

I liked the side plots and main characters, but im so done with
World Tree's, chosen one protagonists and Ruined World endgame
plots. The Mother games are my favourite because they're like kind of like DQ but with a setting and characters that stand out in a sea of traditional fantasy settings.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
played it a few months ago when it released on Switch and loved it, i shouldn't have chosen Spider-Man over it in 2018
You're not wrong.

As long as you're taking about the Switch version.
not sure i entirely agree actually. lot's of great perks with the Switch version but music aside (and the ability to marry Jade :P), i don't think any of them are essential to enjoying the game. the new story content is a huge pacing killer. plus it's ugly as hell (i'm not usually a stickler for graphics but excessive aliasing really bothers me and this game had a ton)

2D mode is a great option if i ever replay it tho. and there's some QoL improvements that are nice

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying it, but is there more than the 2 or 3 songs in the game? I feel like it has no variety.

the music being shockingly terrible frees you to be able to say your enjoyment of the game is absolutely independent of its malevolent composer

worthwhile trade off, imo

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I liked the side plots and main characters, but im so done with
World Tree's, chosen one protagonists and Ruined World endgame
plots. The Mother games are my favourite because they're like kind of like DQ but with a setting and characters that stand out in a sea of traditional fantasy settings.

I understand. For me DQXI uses its stark adherence to tradition as a springboard to become something so much more than what you'd expect and/or the sum of its parts, but clearly it didn't land that way for you and that's cool. I'm just glad it's been such an utterly enthralling, magical experience for me, haha. And to think, I was never even a DQ fan before this (though I respected the series and its legacy)!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like it, but the battle system being either a huge bore (on normal) or a long chore (with the hard mode) really puts it down a tier for me.

Staple a Octopath battle system onto DQXI and you've got something a lot more compelling.

w00zey

Nov 23, 2018
I loved it until
When the party got split up around 80%
. Then I felt like (for me) it just slowed down way to much. I had to put it down for a little bit. After the break I went back to really liking it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Spam double techs, spam luminaire is the full extent of Chrono Trigger's battle system. DQXI is *objectively* deeper and with a lot more thinking needed especially with the difficulty options offered. Not to mention the plethora of different builds per character that Chrono Trigger doesn't have.

No, Dragon Quest XI is a better game. It explores characters much further, has a great world to explore and is overall a joy to play all throughout. Chrono Trigger has the best music and has the benefit of being barely 20 hours long so the cracks doesn't show up too much, but DQXI drives to the finish line brilliantly in its 80+ hour run.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I'm off work this week and I spent all day pondering if I should buy it for my Switch then I come to Resetera and see this thread 🤔

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Spam double techs, spam luminaire is the full extent of Chrono Trigger's battle system. DQXI is *objectively* deeper and with a lot more thinking needed especially with the difficulty options offered. Not to mention the plethora of different builds per character that Chrono Trigger doesn't have.

No, Dragon Quest XI is a better game. It explores characters much further, has a great world to explore and is overall a joy to play all throughout. Chrono Trigger has the best music and has the benefit of being barely 20 hours long so the cracks doesn't show up too much. DQXI drives to the finish line brilliantly in its 80+ hour run.

DQ11 was "deeper" but CT is the perfect length and pacing for what it offers. I was mostly frustrated with any quest that wanted specific pep combos and there weren't enough interesting new mechanics to keep such a long game interesting for me, even skipping a lot of the optional stuff it was a real grind.

I noticed just how similar Earthbound is to DQ games, right down to the combat and sound effects lol.

The inspiration is clear yeah

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
An instant classic, easily one of the best JRPGs of all time.

It's only generic in the same sense as vanilla ice cream... but it's an exceptionally high quality, lovingly crafted vanilla ice cream that's second to none. But hey... if you'd rather have rocky road with sprinkles, even if it's of lower quality, have at it.