• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32309

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
change resolution scaling to 200 in ini works for me.
it really cleans the image (it's not perfect) to downsmaple 4k to 1080p (especially grass).
1080ti seems to handle it fine (i'm in first village only for now)

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Seems to run very well on my system. i5 6600k, 1070, 16gb.

60fps @ 1440p maxed out, with an occasional stutter. Played this way for about four hours.
30-40fps @ 4K maxed out. Tested for about 25 minutes. I'll progress like this some more to see how it goes.

Can't wait to finish my new build next month. Would love to play this at 4K/60. I think I may overclock my 1070 right now to see what I can get out of it until then.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It runs fine and is as demanding as you would expect it to be with how it looks. Very pretty game.

I'm still torn on 1440p at a Rivatuned 90FPS or 4K at 90% rendering with a Rivatuned 60FPS.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So what's the cliffnotes version of this thread? How does the very first DQ game run on PC?

Limited settings (ie, no ultrawide, no specific toggles for post-processing effects, no HDR, only seemingly FXAA) but what is available performs well and adjustable on the fly. Not many reports of crashes or lockups from what I can see. Solid port. Ini tweaks give a few more knobs to mess with, such as framerate uncap and internal render scaling.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Using MFAA on top of the in game AA may have less of a performance hit vs down sampling though, if you're already at 1440 or 4K or something. Idk, it's worked for me in some games better than others.
Turned MFAA on and sadly it doesn't seem to help with the grass even at 4k. Damn, this grass...

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Limited settings (ie, no ultrawide, no specific toggles for post-processing effects, no HDR, only seemingly FXAA) but what is available performs well and adjustable on the fly. Not many reports of crashes or lockups from what I can see. Solid port. Ini tweaks give a few more knobs to mess with, such as framerate uncap and internal render scaling.
I'm no pc enthusiast so much of what you kindly wrote for me went over my head. Happy to learn it's a solid port though! Hopefully being on PC too gives this franchise the biggest chance it's ever gotten into getting the biggest audience ever.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Using MFAA on top of the in game AA may have less of a performance hit vs down sampling though, if you're already at 1440 or 4K or something. Idk, it's worked for me in some games better than others.
MFAA works only with MSAA (which this game does not support, of course, being dx11 title)

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Glad to hear this is a good port. Went PS4 at the end as I had some credit, but will probably double dip at some point down the road.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad that this turned out to be a good port. Now to pray for an orchestrated OST mod!

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Just, you know, read the thread?
Game is really GPU intensive, you might not get more than 60 at 1440p.
(I'm getting 50-70 fps on a 1080p render scale 150 (so, still below 1440p) on a 980 TI).
IIRC UE4 screen percentage is quadratic, so 150 at 1080p would be 2880x1620, so above 1440p.

MFAA works only with MSAA (which this game does not support, of course, being dx11 title)
Doesn't really have anything to do with being DX11, and more with it using the default (as in, deferred shading) UE4 renderer.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so no UW. Any way to fix this or will it be fixed down the road? I know some games have been patched (or user patched)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Port seems solid enough, haven't had a chance to try it on my 6600/1070 PC yet. Sounds like the game should have had 4 shadow options though. I might try 4K30 if the frame times are decent.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i hope there will be a mode to make battle faster, as fast as older DQ games with FPS view!

I can still use the speed hack with cheat engine, but it fucks up the gametime

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Normal Nvidia DSR works just fine.
Doesn't work fully for me. A lot of intermediate resolutions between 1080p and 4k are missing. I guess the resolution scale option is the one to use if you want to have the best possible image quality while maintaining 60 fps. 4k in 60 fps seems pretty unrealistic on my system (Titan X Pascal) with shadow quality 3. Maybe with the 2080 Ti, though!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Steam fps counter not working for anyone else?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a question. I have a gsync UW. What do I want the resolution at 2560x1440 and put it in borderless? It only lets me change the resolution when in full screen.

Edit: My FPS counter on my monitor is spiked at 100 the whole time so far. I have just been running around the starting area. Is that even accurate? I could not get FRAPS to work.

Last edited:

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I'll get the PC version as soon as there is an orchestral music mod.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Given the range, these likely map directly to the default UE4 scalability settings, described here:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference
That is what they do, yes. (The settings are live, so you can actually see the various features toggling and changing at each stage.)

The settings are dramatic (even going from 3 to 2 is a massive drop in quality).

What kind performance should I be getting with this?
1080/60. You'll get some hiccups (especially at some streaming/loading points), but it should be mostly smooth at highest settings.

Also, anyone else noticed the keyboard support is laughable? If you can even call that support?
The keyboard support is basic, but it all seems functional (being menu-based, the controls are relatively simple).

They don't allow multiple bindings or any mouse configuration, but what can you do.

Someone earlier in the thread noted that it is locked at 4k resolution. Is that true?
If you're asking if that's the max in the UI, then yes, they present a limited list of 16:9 resolutions (they do some sort of query since resolutions higher than native are disabled, but the list appears to be static).

However, the game defaults to borderless, which just picks your screen resolution (you can't even change it in the game) and then letterboxes or stretches as appropriate (at least this is what it does on 1920x1200).

and m/kb controls are bad
They're really not. They're limited, but it all works like it should, and there's no missing functionality (everything maps to something).

Could they be more configurable? Absolutely. But you can change the keybindings, and the mouse works in the standard fashion (they even let you disable camera auto-follow, though that's just a general option here).

Last edited:

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I went with PS4 because I didn't know what to expect with the PC version, but has anyone tried to play this on lower specs? I couldn't tell if the unusually high specs were due to them just not testing lower end hardware or not. just curious.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, anyone with low/average specs tried it out yet? I wonder what my i5 2500k + RX470 can do.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It looked really awful to me compared to the 30 FPS cap in Shenmue. Maybe using one of the programs to limit the FPS that way would be better?
Yep. I've set the game to 120 FPS in the INI and I'm using RTSS to limit to 60 and it's buttery smooth. I haven't tried the 30 FPS one, but I imagine it's the same deal.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Is keyboard/mouse a disaster? I've already read that S-E has once again made the ESC key exit the game.
Not a disaster.

Esc is hard-coded and really annoying (there is no option in the game to quit), but the basic keys are configurable. Mouse-look and mouse control (LMB and RMB) work fine, but there is no customization.

The prompts are all Xbox buttons, so you need to do a bit of memorizing, but the controls are really simple.

Well, world controls are okay (WSAD+mouse), not sure about battle ones though.
But yeah, gamepad strongly suggested here.
Combat is menu-based.

I'm struggling to think why you would suggest one over the other (you pick menu items with the arrow keys or with the joystick—it's all going to behave exactly the same).

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having multple problems here.
- The opening CG (when you launch the game) and the one that come just after you start your first save, had terrible framerate issue, like going from 0 to normal (I suggest CG scenes are 30 FPS ?).
- Once an achivement is unlocked, it stays displayed on the screen and never disappear. I had to save, quit the game (by the way : no option to quit the game, good ol' Alt+F4 ; just an indication of how well this port was handled).

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Apparently playing it in Borderless just stretches a 1080p image instead of rendering in 4k to me? That's unfortunate. When I screengrab in borderless, the images are 1080p, and it looks much sharper in 4k fullscreen.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I guess I missed the in-game option. I kept going back to the title screen but couldn't find Exit.
Fun fact: ToCS wouldn't have had a "Quit Game" option on the title screen if it weren't for XSEED QA -- I just never thought of it since I always use Alt-F4 to exit games.
Not so fun fact: apparently XSEED QA is more thorough than S-E QA, despite them being more like a mom&pop store next to S-E's Walmart.

The prompts are all Xbox buttons, so you need to do a bit of memorizing, but the controls are really simple.
Not having keyboard button prompts is also kind of weak in a release like this.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
i hope there will be a mode to make battle faster, as fast as older DQ games with FPS view!

I can still use the speed hack with cheat engine, but it fucks up the gametime
I wish they had an option to speed up the battles like in DQ8, it would make grinding whole lot easier. I'm trying to grind my ass out here but the battles are painfully slow. I'm just passing through the enemies right now lmao

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Not so fun fact: apparently XSEED QA is more thorough than S-E QA, despite them being more like a mom&pop store next to S-E's Walmart.
No, they have a special alert for quitting the game that's invoked with the Esc key.

They clearly knew about it, but felt it wasn't worth including in the game's UI.

Not having keyboard button prompts is also kind of weak in a release like this.
It's weak, but it's nothing new.

The controls are so simple that it's not that big a deal in practice.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: ToCS wouldn't have had a "Quit Game" option on the title screen if it weren't for XSEED QA -- I just never thought of it since I always use Alt-F4 to exit games.
I use Big Picture Mode pretty often so I'm usually stuck with a controller. At least there's always the Steam option to quit the application.

Anyway, it seems that the in-game Exit option only appears while you have a save file loaded. It doesn't show up on the title screen.

I love that this port exists, BTW. Feels like another big step for Japanese publishers. ..Now for those Atlus ports.

Kildrek

Oct 25, 2017
I've set the game to max settings, 1440p, and locked at 60 because I can't think of a reason why I'd want more frames for a relaxing game such as this (but if you want higher frames, I'm not frame shaming at all).

I5 7600k, 1080 ti, 32gb ram

It runs smooth, no jarring frames when loading areas or whatnot.

I am so happy with my PC purchase for this game, it's beautiful from the scenery to the characters. 10/10, top notch port for me.