• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest V novel author Saori Kumi filed criminal complaints with the Tokyo District Public Prosecutor's Office and Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department against the production committee of Dragon Quest Your Story, the Dragon Quest game franchise's first 3D CG anime film, on December 5. Kumi issued a statement about the complaints on Friday.

Kumi alleged that the anime's production committee used her work without permission and changed it, violating Japan's copyright laws and Unfair Competition Prevention Act. She further accused production committee of fraud, a breach of trust, and corporate embezzlement. Specifically, Kumi stated that the film's producers used her novel characters Ryuka, the protagonist, and Ryukeirom el kel Granvania (name romanization not confirmed) without her permission. In the original Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride game, the protagonist is known as the "Hero," and players may give the protagonist a name of their choosing. In the film, the protagonist's name is Ryuka, which is also the name Kumi used in her novel.

Kumi further criticized TOHO and Square Enix, both credited for production of the film, as well as director Takashi Yamazaki for the production's alleged exploitation and unauthorized use of her characters.

More at: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...agon-quest-your-story-film-production/.154469

Revise if old

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She got a pretty sweet deal if they let her own the copyright to characters she created for them.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Ooh, I'm curious with what might happen.

Sidenote: I heard the movie was terrible.. is that true?

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Does she own the rights for the story and characters? I thought that's owned by Square Enix and the trio.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Oooooooo I love a video game intellectual property between creators and corporations.
I'm not familiar with how it works in Japan but very few if any creators retain ownership rights in video games, comic books, ect.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oooooooo I love a video game intellectual property between creators and corporations.
I'm not familiar with how it works in Japan but very few if any creators retain ownership rights in video games, comic books, ect.
I dunno, with Dragon Quest it's kinda unusual because SE is just the publisher, not the "creator". For the games, Yuji Horii, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama own parts of the rights.