• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

The animation in the previews has been looking pretty dang great. I've never read the original manga nor watched the old anime, but I'm looking forward to this new adaptation a lot. As well, from what I understand, no Sugiyama involvement!

I would also be highly surprised if this doesn't stream on CR or somewhere else October 3, given how Toei's marketing it to English audiences too.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
All the characters look too shiny to my liking, but I can't wait. The manga releases alongside Dragon Ball back the days in my country and I thought it was the better shonen series of the two.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know this was getting made, premiering the day before my birthday too. Looking forward to checking it out.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What's with the DQ3 party? Is that new to this remake or did they clown on the games in the original, because I was under the impression that the original didn't actually have a lot to do with the DQ series beyond aesthetic.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
No Sugiyama is kinda worrying, because the original anime had incredible DQ remixes. If they can't use his work at all, I'll be sad :(

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
unironically looks pretty good
pretty sure i read a bit of the manga long ass time ago

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Still my favorite villain design (ignore the annoying small guy)
R05B7WH.png

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What's with the DQ3 party? Is that new to this remake or did they clown on the games in the original, because I was under the impression that the original didn't actually have a lot to do with the DQ series beyond aesthetic.

So Dai, the protagonist grew up and lived on this island with monsters that are friendly. These characters that look like DQ3 party members are actually knockoffs who are here to capture these friendly monsters. Dai gets tricked because he is naive and worships heroes.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
So Dai, the protagonist grew up and lived on this island with monsters that are friendly. These characters that look like DQ3 party members are actually knockoffs who are here to capture these friendly monsters. Dai gets tricked because he is naive and worships heroes.

That actually sounds really promising for the start of it.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
An American distributor hasn't been announced yet, but it's prolly going to end up on either Funimation/Hulu or Netflix.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone license this to stream yet? I suspect Crunchyroll might, since they already have Digimon and PreCure's current series, but they didn't announce it at their con (yet). Just FYI, actual fansubs are hard to come by if not, since only highly dedicated fans even work on them anymore (for series not licensed by anyone in english).

OP
OP
Harpoon

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Looks a lot like beet the vandel buster.

2350811.jpg

Probably because it's the same artist and writer as the Dai manga.

Did anyone license this to stream yet? I suspect Crunchyroll might, since they already have Digimon and PreCure's current series, but they didn't announce it at their con (yet). Just FYI, actual fansubs are hard to come by if not, since only highly dedicated fans even work on them anymore (for series not licensed by anyone in english).

I believe most Toei simulsubs aren't announced until almost the very last minute. But since Toei's English twitter has been advertising the show, I'm sure CR or someone else will be streaming it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I believe most Toei simulsubs aren't announced until almost the very last minute. But since Toei's English twitter has been advertising the show, I'm sure CR or someone else will be streaming it.

That's good news then. Maybe tomorrow at the con it'll get announced, or just closer to the time.

OP
OP
Harpoon

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Hot damn!

Something that's really been sticking out to me in all the previews is the colours and shading; it looks gorgeous, and feels almost like a fusion of modern colouring with 80s/90s. I've heard that several members of the Dragon Ball Super: Broly team are working on this series, and that makes sense given I think it did something similar with its colours.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to read this series. Will watch

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Is it confirmed it won't have Sugiyama's music? That's a shame, I loved the music on the og anime.

They were on the original.

They are the villains from the very first episode that try to steal Gommy and sell it. They look like the DQ3 characters because they are imposters pretending to be heroes, it's kind of a joke. It's just a minor reference.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super pumped for this I own all the original manga's so it'll be awesome to see it all come alive, it's a really fantastic series.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
An American distributor hasn't been announced yet, but it's prolly going to end up on either Funimation/Hulu or Netflix.
Yeah it's weird it hasn't been announced for any kind of streaming for the west yet. Funimation has their hands full still finishing up their licensed shows from Spring but I'd love to see them get it. There's a "localization" aspect (DQ spells and monster names) that should be carried over and they'd be really good at that I feel.

OP
OP
Harpoon

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's weird it hasn't been announced for any kind of streaming for the west yet. Funimation has their hands full still finishing up their licensed shows from Spring but I'd love to see them get it. There's a "localization" aspect (DQ spells and monster names) that should be carried over and they'd be really good at that I feel.

The new Digimon show wasn't announced to be streaming on CR until just a few days before. I'm not sure why, but Toei shows seem to hold back on announcing where precisely their shows will be streaming until the last possible minute.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm a huge DQ fan and I enjoyed the original Dai anime so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I hope they finish the series this time, for years I always wondered what happened after the OG series ended. When the Manga was serialized in Mexico, I bought the full series and I was amazed (and mad!) how much stuff was left out.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I'm mixed with these first impressions. I like DQ the most when it is more grounded. But the first impression is that that it is catered towards power fantasy and many fighting moves are involved.
Otherwise it looks good.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking real good, very exciting seeing glimpses of that beautiful boy Crocodine in action.

I'm mixed with these first impressions. I like DQ the most when it is more grounded. But the first impression is that that it is catered towards power fantasy and many fighting moves are involved.
Otherwise it looks good.
It's a Shonen Jump manga from 89, expect it to be a fun but very of it's time series in regards to story and characterizations.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Digimon show wasn't announced to be streaming on CR until just a few days before. I'm not sure why, but Toei shows seem to hold back on announcing where precisely their shows will be streaming until the last possible minute.

I can verify this. GeGeGe no Kitaro was one of THE worst examples of this, where it was either right before, or after it started airing, with it going up, "fairly" quickly once it was announced. This is talking about shows that Toei got streaming the same day, of course, but as a whole, Toei Animation seems to have their announcements very last minute.

The biggest thing to note is if Toei Animation is marketing the shows in English. If that's the case, that usually means we'll get it. It's VERY rare for them to market something in English and then nothing.

As for licensing situation as a whole, I don't know what Shueisha, Square Enix, and Toei's plans for the series are right now. Shueisha DID trademark the name here in the US (omitting the Dragon Quest name, since that's owned by Square Enix, but should otherwise be included on the product) back in May, which included both game software and books, so I assume we ARE getting everything over here, including the manga. Hopefully that means a dub is also in the works, but we'll see.

Production on the Japanese side is reportedly fairly ahead of the broadcast, so a simuldub could be possible day one, just obviously recording has been difficult as a whole here in the US.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I can verify this. GeGeGe no Kitaro was one of THE worst examples of this, where it was either right before, or after it started airing, with it going up, "fairly" quickly once it was announced. This is talking about shows that Toei got streaming the same day, of course, but as a whole, Toei Animation seems to have their announcements very last minute.

The biggest thing to note is if Toei Animation is marketing the shows in English. If that's the case, that usually means we'll get it. It's VERY rare for them to market something in English and then nothing.

As for licensing situation as a whole, I don't know what Shueisha, Square Enix, and Toei's plans for the series are right now. Shueisha DID trademark the name here in the US (omitting the Dragon Quest name, since that's owned by Square Enix, but should otherwise be included on the product) back in May, which included both game software and books, so I assume we ARE getting everything over here, including the manga. Hopefully that means a dub is also in the works, but we'll see.

Production on the Japanese side is reportedly fairly ahead of the broadcast, so a simuldub could be possible day one, just obviously recording has been difficult as a whole here in the US.
Since this is the first time I've really paid attention to a Toei show In a while I guess I just wasn't aware.

It does make me wonder what the plans are. Since the show does use terminology and names from the games, there's a bit of localization that's required and not just straight translation. I mean, optimistically, I feel like there's a chance if they push it. Get it on something like Toonami ASAP (or MAYBE bring it to a daytime network like CN or Disney XD ala Yokai Watch or Pokémon ), bring the games out with the dub voice cast, it could bring in more fans to the series. But since this is Square Enix, I doubt the thought has really crossed their minds.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since this is the first time I've really paid attention to a Toei show In a while I guess I just wasn't aware.

It does make me wonder what the plans are. Since the show does use terminology and names from the games, there's a bit of localization that's required and not just straight translation. I mean, optimistically, I feel like there's a chance if they push it. Get it on something like Toonami ASAP (or MAYBE bring it to a daytime network like CN or Disney XD ala Yokai Watch or Pokémon ), bring the games out with the dub voice cast, it could bring in more fans to the series. But since this is Square Enix, I doubt the thought has really crossed their minds.

So, yeah, uh, regarding Cartoon Network, Disney, (and Nickelodeon too): The market for licensing stuff is practically dead and even networks are slowly starting to wrap down on day time television and focusing more on demand for at least two of the three aforementioned networks. The children's landscape has changed so much and it'd been one of the first areas of television to have been hit the hardest prior to older targeted television, as both networks and children companies noticed the trend around 2012/13. Pokemon is now digital only via Netflix here in the US, Yokai Watch has been cancelled effectively (with Disney occasionally pulling it in and out), and really, in terms of localized anime that a network isn't co-producing (so not including Bakugan), Beyblade remains the only one airing as of right now.

Adult Swim is still heavily investing in anime here, both in co-productions and just outright licensing from Japan and local licensors, that said. So if it has a chance, I'd likely see it airing on Toonami here and I do think it could absolutely pull in the Dragon Ball crowd, if the marketing is done right. Toonami has always been strongest when it comes to marketing and I think they could have a huge hit if they play their cards right. And thankfully, given what I've been seeing with Dragon Ball Super and My Hero Academia, if they still want their Kids demographic, they'll likely still very successfully get that.

That said, I'm not sure what's going to go on with the localization of the names. I suspect Shueisha, for at least the characters, probably to match the Japanese. As for the monsters and abilities, I'd imagine likely will see the names match the current terminology.

Either way, I'm hopeful this will do well. If anything, I'm hoping Toei and Adult Swim had already negotiated this awhile back and I did, personally, find it a bit curious how Dragon Ball Super, out of nowhere, came back to lead off the schedule. So who knows. Hopefully we'll hear something asap.

Still, I've been waiting for this adaptation for about 16 years when I first saw it around 2004 with the old adaptation. I'm going to be watching this every week, so help me. It was always my dream adaptation and I'm glad we're getting it. It still feels so freaking unreal to me that it's gonna be airing in less than a month from now.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn!

Something that's really been sticking out to me in all the previews is the colours and shading; it looks gorgeous, and feels almost like a fusion of modern colouring with 80s/90s. I've heard that several members of the Dragon Ball Super: Broly team are working on this series, and that makes sense given I think it did something similar with its colours.
No idea who the color designer is, but yes, most of the DBS staff seems to be split between this and Digimon.
sakuga looking good. But can never know where the quality will end up with Toei
Most Toei stuff over the past few years has been high quality and this show has been in production for a long time.