• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Just finished work and was expecting this to look like FF6 on Steam. But this is brilliant. It looks perfect and they need to remaster every other 8 and 16bit RPG they have immediately. Give me FF6 like this and with a few CGI cutscenes and I'd buy it without a second thought.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The NES version looks a bit simple now but even the SFC version it shows at the start of the video still looks beautiful to me

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Travelers paved the way for more remakes in this vien. FFV and FFVI also please.

Can't wait to try the original DQ games.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough if that's your preference but I much prefer this style for SNES games

it retains the charm of the originals

I was expecting a reimagined game with a more refined open world compared to 11, dq3 could pull it off so well, and instead we get this. As somebody who has replayed the game multiple times, reimagined version is much better to me than a fancy looking version of the game I have played

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting a reimagined game with a more refined open world compared to 11, dq3 could pull it off so well, and instead we get this. As somebody who has replayed the game multiple times, reimagined version is much better to me than a fancy looking version of the game I have played

The idea of a full 3D remake came up before but they said it would only happen after DQ12, so this would have been a way to remake it quicker. Though knows if those larger plans still exist now that this does.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I might be on the minority, but I don't see it as a significant visual upgrade over the SNES game that would be worth paying full price for. I think some of the 3D environments even look worse.

I'm still undecided if I'll buy it or just stick with the SNES game.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Looks great, I'll probably pick it up. Interesting to see the environments not use the pixel art for their textures like SE's other HD-2D games. I think it works well either way though.

That initial battle opening shot definitely made me think of Golden Sun.

Same here.

I've always thought about how Nintendo could re-release Golden Sun 1+2 on Switch, and I never thought about the possibility of doing it in this HD-2D style, but I think it could work really well. And now I will remain forever disappointed that this will never happen.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
following this with reimaginings of 1&2 would be interesting

i don't want to post spoilers but it would work in that order, and i don't see them leaving the first two games exactly as they are mechanics/story wise

Oct 25, 2017
So how's the plot/story in this one? Know nothing about 3 really, other than it's the most iconic game in the series.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I like this style for Dragon Quest, but I don't think they should use it for FF VI. Every one of these games will start feeling too samey.

...I would still get it of course, but still, I'd prefer they did something else outside of Dragon Quest and Octo/Triangle/etc.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
This looks incredible. Hopefully will be more of these coming in the future for both DQ and FF

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I actually didn't love the look of Octopath Traveler - it was very washed out and not especially colourful from what I saw.

But this looks incredible. I am fucking in.

Oh man, the idea of Golden Sun in this style hurts, because it won't happen.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't get 1 or 2. Just no interesting in playing them again unless they add a lot or do something new with them. All the others I would probably get.

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, neat! I had just started on the DQ3 port on switch, but I'll wait and pick this up instead. Looks great!

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
It's been my dream to get a FF6 remake that looks just like this! My fingers are crossed that Square Enix has finally stumbled upon the correct way to update their classic library.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
Never was a big fan of this franchise but damn that looks so good. I love that this hd 2D/pixel art with 3D and lighting has been popularized by Octopath.
I really love this kind of look and I'm happy we're seeing more of it (Not sure but I think the suikoden spirtual successor is also going for this kind of look)

However why the DQ III specifically ? isn't DQ V supposed to be the best episode ? I think that's the only one I played to the end (of the older ones at least)

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Looks lovely. Regretting getting the last collection that had those half-assed versions of the first trilogy.

(Still want that second trilogy though).

Nov 13, 2017
Never was a big fan of this franchise but damn that looks so good. I love that this hd 2D/pixel art with 3D and lighting has been popularized by Octopath.
I really love this kind of look and I'm happy we're seeing more of it (Not sure but I think the suikoden spirtual successor is also going for this kind of look)

However why the DQ III specifically ? isn't DQ V supposed to be the best episode ? I think that's the only one I played to the end (of the older ones at least)
DQ3 is like the Citizen Kane of JRGs in Japan. Might be the most iconic JRPG in history for them.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good. I tried playing the first DQ and I didn't like it very much. I might just jump to this one, though I guess 1-3 is a trilogy so I might be missing out on some stuff.