• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
They actually tried to give IX a more action type of combat but people in Japan really hated that idea. So they quickly got rid of that

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they do the right thing and make Dragon Quest XII and open world action RPG making full use of the power of the PS5. They need to aim for the west.
Seriously though, if they wanted to aim for the west it would be best to try to pull off a Monster Hunter World (which has outsold DQXI) with another spin-off that adapts western open-world mechanics to the visual and storytelling style of Dragon Quest.

Honestly, they could just make DQ-styled Breath of the Wild -- aim for the same audience as BOTW, Genshin Impact, and Fenyx Rising.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Switch port of the PS2 version of Dragon Quest 5 in english. Lets do this

Haha would be great, my favorite DQ engine.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Why do you say that, just because it's an MMO (even though they've suggested they might make an offline non-MMO version of it)? Or do you know from first or secondhand experience that it's just not very good?

Because, I mean, plenty of people would also say to forget about IX because of its multiplayer skew...

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Folks who are hoping for Sugiyama being fired sure are dreamers. Don't like the guy either but I bet even once he's dead that his music will still be in the games in some form, even if it's just the main theme. As for the announcements I'm still hoping for a DQX Western release (which may be even more delusional).

They need to aim for the west

677.jpg

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully DQ XII will get a Western release. Not sure what the sales number were like for XI, but it was amazing.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
Hopefully they do the right thing and make Dragon Quest XII and open world action RPG making full use of the power of the PS5. They need to aim for the west.
The hell? Oh please no. Enough games taking this route already. The PS5 part I agree with, the rest I don't. I really don't want the battle system messed with too much.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mama needs the Zenithian trilogy on switch, SE. Then you can do whatever you want.

Why do you say that, just because it's an MMO (even though they've suggested they might make an offline non-MMO version of it)? Or do you know from first or secondhand experience that it's just not very good?

Because, I mean, plenty of people would also say to forget about IX because of its multiplayer skew...

Never say never, but DQX is a fuck-off huge game at this point, and localizing it would be a gigantic undertaking for what's probably not enough of a return, given the popularity of DQ abroad, and how DQX plays.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Awaiting a DQ IX remake.

If anything, they're going to make Switch the lead platform this time around. As for catering to the west by making it an open world action RPG, lol no.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I have to say after 30 hours of DQXI I'm about to drop it. The game is too easy. The story and characters are charming and the graphics look nice but I'm bored with the game already due to any lack of challenge. It's mostly just giving attack commands and occasionally a heal or spell. I hope thwy focus on the Switch for the next entry and actually make a good game.

Play on Hard difficulty with Draconian. Come and see me after.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Play on Hard difficulty with Draconian. Come and see me after.
DQ XI on draconian difficulty was one of the best times I've ever had playing a JRPG. It was so well tuned. There were frequent HP/MP restore points and it was easy to re-allocate skill points so the game really encouraged you to go all out.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yes! The only thing that was wrong with 11.

And keep the Dragon Ball art style please, with the anime and film using a different art style, I'm afraid the next game might not keep it.

The anime has a different style in the first place because it was not drawn by Toriyama when the manga debuted decades ago.

A DQM game featuring Dai would be nice though.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say after 30 hours of DQXI I'm about to drop it. The game is too easy. The story and characters are charming and the graphics look nice but I'm bored with the game already due to any lack of challenge. It's mostly just giving attack commands and occasionally a heal or spell. I hope thwy focus on the Switch for the next entry and actually make a good game.
I played through the demo and to be perfectly honest one of the main things I liked about it is that it focused on combat less than a lot of other JRPGs. I like that it lets itself be mostly about exploration and enjoying the story, which also doesn't seem to rely on cut scenes or shitloads of text as much as other JRPGs.

I'm starting to think RPGs in general should focus on a smaller number of important, unique battles as opposed to a ton of trash mobs.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

Did you play with Draconian mode settings on?

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
DQ XI on draconian difficulty was one of the best times I've ever had playing a JRPG. It was so well tuned. There were frequent HP/MP restore points and it was easy to re-allocate skill points so the game really encouraged you to go all out.

It was sublime on Draconian hard. One of the most trying and challenging JRPGs I've finished, and exactly bc yeah, it was so well tuned. Even normal encounters could be a little intense.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. Dragon Quest XII multiplatform so more people can enjoy just like XI is now. PC, Xbox, Switch And PlayStation. Also for open world action RPG we can leave that to final fantasy since we'll never get a classic FF game again. 😭 Leave Dragon Quest alone.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
It was sublime on Draconian hard. One of the most trying and challenging JRPGs I've finished, and exactly bc yeah, it was so well tuned. Even normal encounters could be a little intense.
It was soo close to being difficulty perfection in a JRPG. Just sometimes there are boss fights which felt like a massive RNG roller coaster depending on their actions.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
We'll probably see an announcement for 12, the Dai game, an update on DQM, and some other spinoff thrown in there.

Oct 30, 2017
Give us DQVIIR and DQVIII HD Remastered for home consoles and PC.. plus of course the announcement of DQXII.

And DQV PS2 finally for the west HD Remastered ( long shot I know ).