• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nord501

Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Hey guys, with DQ11 coming in September, do you think it would be a waste to import it? Play Asia has the Asia version for $40 and I'm really tempted. Also a question about DQ7. I'm really curious how far I am into the story. Without spoiling anything, all I'll say is I am at the Cathedral of Light.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, with DQ11 coming in September, do you think it would be a waste to import it? Play Asia has the Asia version for $40 and I'm really tempted. Also a question about DQ7. I'm really curious how far I am into the story. Without spoiling anything, all I'll say is I am at the Cathedral of Light.
If you are fluent in Japanese and don't care about this shit, why not:

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/dragon-quest-xi-launches-ps4-pc-september-4-north-america-europe
New Features

In addition to delivering over 100 hours of content, the western release of Dragon Quest XI will also feature several upgrades and enhancements that were not included in the Japanese release, including:

• English voice-overs
  • Draconian Quest, a hard mode that offers additional challenges for more experienced players.
  • Overhauled menus and user interface, with graphical enhancements and more intuitive navigation.
  • Camera Mode, allowing players to take in views of the beautiful landscape, character renders and ferocious monsters in detail.
  • A new dash function and many other system enhancements such as improved character and camera movement

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time, I felt pretty sure I had bought, played and beaten Dragon Quest VI on DS but can't find it anywhere in my collection. Its like it was all a dream, funnily enough.

Going to have to fix that before I get around to VII 3DS. Before XI, was planning to run through those and DQ Builders.

God, the DS games were so fucking beautiful. Just a joy to look at and the monster animations were amazing. Everything was so on point.

If I wasn't already a DQ fan after playing VIII, I would have been after those for sure. Especially V.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/dragon-quest-xi-launches-ps4-pc-september-4-north-america-europe
New Features

In addition to delivering over 100 hours of content, the western release of Dragon Quest XI will also feature several upgrades and enhancements that were not included in the Japanese release, including:

• English voice-overs
  • Draconian Quest, a hard mode that offers additional challenges for more experienced players.
  • Overhauled menus and user interface, with graphical enhancements and more intuitive navigation.
  • Camera Mode, allowing players to take in views of the beautiful landscape, character renders and ferocious monsters in detail.
  • A new dash function and many other system enhancements such as improved character and camera movement
Wait, there's a hard mode for the western relase!? Well now I'm really excited for that, I just hope it's more than an afterthought.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Also been playing a fangame called Dragon Quest: Legacy of the Lost.

Does a surprisingly good job of emulating the DQ feel in a lot of aspects. Game is long as hell and you can tell it was made by someone who lives, breathes and eats Dragon Quest.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Also been playing a fangame called Dragon Quest: Legacy of the Lost.

Does a surprisingly good job of emulating the DQ feel in a lot of aspects. Game is long as hell and you can tell it was made by someone who lives, breathes and eats Dragon Quest.
Hmm. . .
*Take a few steps*
"BERRRRR WEEEEEE OHHH BERRRRR WEEEEE OHHHHH HUMMMMM.... Dadadada.."
*Few seconds pass*
*DQ victory chime*
*Take a few steps*
"BERRRRR WEEEEEE OHHH BERRRRR WEEEEE OHHHHH HUMMMMM.... Dadadada.."
Choppasmith, you're a game designer?

Nord501

Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts

New Features

• English voice-overs

Thanks, I think I will import, although I also plan on getting the game in English in September as well.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
So thanks to the English patch , i am playing DQM:Terry wonderland on 3DS :)

I am just wondering if the game is easier than the original or that my skills level have improved after so many years.

I miss the old breeding system (or animation) , the new system is faster but lost a lot of the charm.

Croix

Oct 25, 2017
I just got through the beginning portion of DQ11 3DS, just after
Decaldar's temple
. These have been some of the strongest opening hours in the entire series, in my opinion.

Some initial impressions:

2D mode looks really, really cool in person. I still can't believe they basically put two different versions in a single cartridge. It even has new NPC designs!

In terms of gameplay, the smithing system is more involved than I thought it would be, which is pretty interesting compared to the pot in DQ8. I'm really surprised with this one.

My only kind of issue so far is that I'm not really feeling the music, especially the new tracks. I can't tell exactly what it is but they feel really weird... Edit: Thinking more about it, it seems to be mostly about the overworld theme. The town theme was fine, but the latter feels a bit off.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think the VA sounds great, and I'm not sure why it would be shocking, since previously DQ8 had some of the best English VA in Japanese RPGs.

Oct 25, 2017
Man $150 is steep for that. I think I'd be in at $120.

Orchestral soundtrack though. Probably the only way I'm going to get to hear it playing on PS4...

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Shocking news, DQXI voice acting is fucking awful.

They also showed the SE store SE:
https://store.na.square-enix.com/en...es-of-an-elusive-age-edition-of-lost-time-ps4

Aw what the hell, NO PC SPECIAL EDITION? That's some BS. But it's neat that it comes with a Symphonic Suite CD. I might be the bullet and double dip.

Also, I thought the voices were good, on par with the other DQ games with voice acting. It was kinda funny to see it presented so dark and serious.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
No qualms about the voice acting. Sounds fine to me.

$150 is testing my fandom though. That is steep. And it includes the Symphonic Suite just to give you a taste of what you wont be getting in the actual game lol

Love the new boxart. Hopefully a decent marketing campaign follows.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I have stupid high VA standards, so just ignore me.

Also, I swore off of Special Editions a long time ago, and that SE does nothing for me anyway. $150 for that is ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think I'm just going to skip it. Best Buy or Amazon I can get it for $48 plus tax. Would be paying $100 more for stuff I'd look at once or twice or listen to a few times and then get packed away. Saving on this one sadly.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really go for special editions ever. I liked getting a trailer again though.

Edit:

One thing I will say though is that the trailer really beats home what Horii was talking about a while back about returning to a "chosen hero" story.

Curious how that pans out. I mean, it isn't as if DQ has totally abandoned hero narratives, but they've been sort of displaced and shifted away from the main character or the main story.

e.g. DQV "chosen hero" is the son even if the MC has a (deeply personal) heroic arc his own, DQVI MC has a similarly personal bent to his hero's quest (hero of Somnia) which bleeds into the larger story, DQVIII MC has that hero's quest in the EG, etc. Even DQVII hero has a bit of something near the end there.

I wonder what they'll actually do with the hero here.

In a sense it is sort of a strange trope to return to, namely it is one of the oft derided elements of the ephemeral "quintessential" JRPG, so quite curious about how they handle it.

Last edited:

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Any new info from E3 ? i mean new info on Draconian Quest ? Still midi music ? Any more chance ?

Edit :

Happy we got answer for the Draconian Mode !

This is the same as restricted play on japanese version. but for north america they add 2 new modes. A mode that boost ennemies stat to make ennemies harder. They also add another mode that stop getting XP from lower level mob, so it make harder to overlevel the content. This is actualy way better then a 50% xp/gold cut or anything like that, i mean this truly prevent to power level at low level. They said it was really there because western market seem to like to have that option to be challenge if possible.

Source : GamersPrey interview

Happy to see they have listen to the biggest complain of the game. Really nice . I'm more exited to play the game right now !

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get how I played Dragon Quest V at the father day just to see
the Hero's father death :(

latest

Man he looks strong as a rock.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Do we have a list of the localisation name changes yet? Curious just how much they've changed this time around.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This line in an interview with some of the DQXI creators makes my blood boil:
https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/7...-interview-11-questions-about-dragon-quest-xi

So originally the 3DS version that was released in Japan was using the old Dragon Quest visual style. It was meant to appeal to the Japanese fans that had played Dragon Quest for many years. The reason that version is not being released in the US is that Dragon Quest kind of starts with Dragon Quest VIII in the west as far as we're concerned

zzVp3FH.gif

There's also some bullshit reasoning regarding some localization changes.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Worst part is that by looking at some ERA DQ threads, you'd think that's not too far from the truth.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
As sad as it is, it's basically the case.
But also the stigmas from the NES days still govern public perception, for some reason?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
As sad as it is, it's basically the case.
But also the stigmas from the NES days still govern public perception, for some reason?
It's sold like balls since the NES days and little has changed since. Only reason 8 did ok in the West was because of the FF12 demo. Only 9 reason it did ok in the West was because Nintendo actually marketed it- which SE refuses to do for the series. DQ is still niche as fuck here (much of it being the fault of SE) as much as they seem to think 8 put the series on the map. Throw the fans a bone and give us the 3DS version you pricks.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Very strange reason to not release the 3DS version, given IX also sold comparably well. Don't really buy it.

Probably more to do with how old the 3DS is now and Square's general lack of will wrt releasing games on Nintendo platforms (themselves) outside of Japan, which speaks more to a bias than a recognition of reality.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Even if they did release it locally and day-and-date, where do you think any of the marketing dollars is going to go to? The big, sprawling epic adventure w/ the graphics to match or DQXI, Jr. Edition?

There's a Switch version inbound and who knows how that'll turn out but there's always the possibility of releasing it then I guess? Especially if NoA helps to publish them, a sorta two-for-one deal?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they did release it locally and day-and-date, where do you think any of the marketing dollars is going to go to? The big, sprawling epic adventure w/ the graphics to match or DQXI, Jr. Edition?

There's a Switch version inbound and who knows how that'll turn out but there's always the possibility of releasing it then I guess? Especially if NoA helps to publish them, a sorta two-for-one deal?
I would have been ok with a limited print run or digital only.

The script is basically identical so it wouldn't take a lot of effort or money to do.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why the remakes sell poorly tbh. But then ultimately I don't get the disdain/disinterest in DQ in the west much either. So I guess I'm just clueless.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why the remakes sell poorly tbh. But then ultimately I don't get the disdain/disinterest in DQ in the west much either. So I guess I'm just clueless.
DQ has never prioritized the tech curve. That's not to say they haven't challenged themselves but if 120fps was all the rage tomorrow DQ team be like "whatever". A game that's not dressed to impress is a kiss of death for Western ad buys.

My pet theory, anyway.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
My thinking on the issue centers on a) skipping the SNES, b) the juxtaposition of FFVII and DQVII, and c) the nature of the appeal of DQVIII.

As to a), I think DQV at least could have been a cult classic on SNES and could've gotten DQ's roots into the hardcore console RPG community much like SNES FF, CT, and such. I think Enix was either unable or unwilling to do the legwork to build up the DQ fandom in those formative years for JRPG fandom and thus isn't as highly regarded as having oldie cult classics. I think this harms DQ in conversation around RPGs in enthusiast circles.

As to b), I think DWVII coming late to the PSX and not having the angsty melodrama, modern setting, and spectacle of FFVII and the other big Square PSX RPGs made it run distinctly counter to what JRPG came to mean to the new, enlarged JRPG market that FFVII created. I think DQ sets itself up as not meeting expectations for a lot of people into JRPG in the west and this starts with the FFVII/DWVII divide. Moreover, given a), there is very little counter-current.

b') I think in more modern times, DQ also simply isn't the product, for which people interested in Japanese games are looking. That is, I think people interested in Japanese games are generally looking for pre-established brands and otaku content. I think DQ fails to be attractively "Japanese" to a lot of people in enthusiast circles who want other things from Japanese cultural product.

Basically, summing up b) and b'), I think DQ is a "niche" product in the west that doesn't appeal to the core audiences precisely because it is a mainstream oriented product that has missed the mainstream. So the question sort of becomes "why wasn't it able to Pokemon?" and I think there concerns of marketing, image, and infectiousness of the core conceits come into play.

The other problem with b) is DQ mainline does do fairly well with itself among similar games but doesn't live up to its pedigree. So honestly b) and b') might well be bullshit.

As to c), I think DQVIII resonated as "they translated the SNES/PSX JRPG onto the PS2--it is charming but also a throwback, that is DQ is stuck in the past and sometimes that is refreshing but DQ also is uninventive, boring, and being stuck in the past is also somewhat off-putting."

After DQVIII, DQ also has a spotty record in the west: Jumping from PS2 to DS in the west isn't the same as doing such in Japan. DS/3DS DQ remakes sold poorly in the west and the 3DS ones came over "reluctantly." DQX skipped the west. DQ spinoffs sold poorly on all systems. And now DQXI is essentially a new beginning for the series other than trying to call back on VIII nostalgia.

So I think there is an element of mismanagement of the franchise wrt the west even after DQVIII--the platform jumps aren't ideal for the western market, DQX skipping the west isn't ideal for the western market, and, going with what Linkura said, marketing was poor in the west.

I also think there is an element of western appetite not being there for DQ. I think this is, in part, Enix's fault, going with a), but also Enix is a victim of not having their ducks lined up when FFVII shaped RPG fans, going with b), and never managed to become "quirky, cute, stylish, sexy Japanese" cultural product, going with b').