• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I forget how long DQIX is, but VIII and XI are long too, if you haven't gotten to them yet. 1-5 are various lengths of short, 6 is kind of medium length, but they've been long since then.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
I played 4 already. After 7, I think I'll go 5, 6, then 9. That will be everything but 1-3. And 10, but that'll never happen.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I think I put a little over 200 hours into DQ XI, but I wrung every last drop of content out of that game and then some.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Woah, that's awesome news! It's such a fantastic game. I'll look forward to replaying it in English sometime soon. Major kudos to the translation team.

Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth at all, but does anyone know what that Japanese only mobile port of DQM 2 3DS added? I seem to recall hearing that it was going to come with new content.

Nov 15, 2017
It adds ~100 more monsters, some quality of life stuff that typically comes with mobile games (like an Earthbound-esque "auto-win" feature where if you get into a battle where the game judges you can win easily, you just automatically win the battle instantly) and a new mechanic where you can use a specific consumable item to upgrade a monster's existing traits into a stronger version of that trait.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It adds ~100 more monsters, some quality of life stuff that typically comes with mobile games (like an Earthbound-esque "auto-win" feature where if you get into a battle where the game judges you can win easily, you just automatically win the battle instantly) and a new mechanic where you can use a specific consumable item to upgrade a monster's existing traits into a stronger version of that trait.
Thank you for the info! Curious about what those new monsters are.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Willing to bet that they're monsters introduced in the mainline games that came after the release of the original DQM2.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking more like Jailcat, which I recall got added to a couple of the remakes. I think Ham originates from XI, right? And DQM2r released before that game, I think...

You'll see Ham in DQM3, if it ever gets out of development hell.

Nov 15, 2017
Ham Shamwitch is already in the base version of DQM2 3DS

Most are stuff from DQ11 and DQMJ3 but there are some others that aren't.

game8.jp

【イルルカSP】新モンスター一覧【ドラクエモンスターズ2】|ゲームエイト

イルルカSP(ドラクエモンスターズ2)における、新モンスターを一覧で掲載しています。新モンスターのモンスター名、系統、サイズをまとめているのでイルルカのスマホ版でどんなモンスターが新しく登場したのか気になる人はぜひご覧ください。

Scroll to ランク別新モンスター一覧 and look under that for a convenient list(names are in Japanese but there are little pictures which might help)

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
well that answers that

sham-hatwitch.gif

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI S is probably going to be the first DQ I ever finish. I have a tendency to get really bored in RPGs once the game gets too easy or there is no more character building to strive for. Harder Monsters, less EXP and MC dying Gameover options basically make the difference in this game. In past DQ games I'm very engrossed because of the art, world and music but the games just fall apart for me really quickly.

It's really hard for me to judge the story , character and world building in this game. I'm typically not a fan of how JRPGs just discard lore and concepts between entries and start over... it makes the worlds just feel really shallow. On paper, everything about this game seems really generic... but I don't know, this game just really sells it. Found myself getting really attached to the main cast and even side characters that barely have any screen time. This game is also pretty amazing at having some great payoff for things setup in Art 1... not just story beats, but environmental details and such. End of act 1 definitely felt like the conclusion to the game so everything that happens after really opens you eyes to things you may have noticed in act 1 but probably didn't think too hard about because you were so focused on the main quest.

Also love that the second part of the game is basically a much better
World of Ruin
from FFVI. I do wish things were a bit more open, but I know that's not with this game series is known for.

My main gripe with the gameplay at this point is that equipment hasn't felt meaningful for a while now. Anything in shops is pretty irrelevant since I can craft slightly better stuff. Upgrading shop equipment just seems like RNG so I don't really bother.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I didn't even know ERA had a DQ community here. Anybody part of rhe DQ Central too?? Joined a ton of DQ communities on Discord too

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I have never understood why or how people think DQ is generic, which is probably the most common complaint about the series. Is it just the fact that it plays its high fantasy genre straight? The town vignettes are compelling and sincere, the monster designs are inspired and appealing, and the party members are consistently distinctive. Is it the fact that the series isn't overwrought or hangs its hat on some high concept design like other JRPGs? Certainly the lack of angst and melodrama makes it unique among JRPGs of this era. I just don't see the generic-ness at all. Nothing in the last 20 years has tried to do exactly what DQ does in the mainstream JRPG space.

I think I've made some variation of this post about once every two years for the last 16 years so maybe I'm the problem.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've played 11 and 8, and enjoyed them both (11 quite a lot). What would be the next essential one to play in the series?

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
DS! Which I think are also the mobile versions?

Yep, DS and Mobile Versions are the way to go.

I didn't even know ERA had a DQ community here. Anybody part of rhe DQ Central too?? Joined a ton of DQ communities on Discord too

I've not messed with them. I used to post on Dragon's Den a lot when DQ10 first came out but there's some fairly unsavoury posters over there.

The DQ discussion on Twitter and Reddit, at least the most visible discussion and personalities are a bit meme-y for my taste.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I'm continuing with my DQ8 save. I just got the ultimate key and did some treasure hunting and now I'm off to
find a godbird.

How long do you think I have left in the game, not counting postgame?

ryan-ts

Oct 25, 2017
DQM2 was so good. The translation team deserve a lot of credit for their work.

The first half of the game is a pretty faithful rework of the original game into 3D. Second half is brand new content with more challenging battles and opportunities to breed monsters with the skills that will help you win the next battle.

Only real critique of the new content is that it takes the story in a more serious direction. It loses some of the light-hearted charm that's in the first half of the game.

Absolute must play for anyone who likes monster breeding and monster battling games.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I haven't played DQM2 3DS with the fan translation yet, but I put a ton of hours into the game in Japanese. It is a spectacular remake, even better than the great remake of DQM 1. I know around the time of release some people were bummed that the custom key system in the remake of 2 didn't generate little towns in the randomized key worlds like in the Game Boy game, but I didn't particularly mind that. The story based keys all have their respective towns of course.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
In DQ8, do I need to level 99 to beat the Dragovian Trials?
Definitely not, but strategy and like, at least around 40ish is recommended, I think. You can level up with Metal King Slimes in the Dragon Graveyard. And you can get like two Timbrels of Tension at endgame and those are broke as hell as they make everyone's tension increase, you'd wanna give them to your two least damaging characters so you can buff and then destroy the boss with powerful hits.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 12 hours into DQ11 S (PS4), it is great. Got two questions:

1. Am I right that there are some character costumes that did not come over from the Switch version? Bummer if so.

2. I'm stuck on a certain part and wondering what the best setup is:
the tentacle boss that invaded my ship. I'm running Hero (18) - Jade (23) - Rab (23) - Serena (18). I'm trying to have Hero and Jade attack while Rab and Serena heal. The boss gets too many turns and just crushes me. I could definitely upgrade my gear but I'm trying to avoid long grinds for money. Any tips to make fast money or just tips in general?

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 12 hours into DQ11 S (PS4), it is great. Got two questions:

1. Am I right that there are some character costumes that did not come over from the Switch version? Bummer if so.

2. I'm stuck on a certain part and wondering what the best setup is:
the tentacle boss that invaded my ship. I'm running Hero (18) - Jade (23) - Rab (23) - Serena (18). I'm trying to have Hero and Jade attack while Rab and Serena heal. The boss gets too many turns and just crushes me. I could definitely upgrade my gear but I'm trying to avoid long grinds for money. Any tips to make fast money or just tips in general?

I think you can confuse the tentacle guy, bit fuzzy on the details though.

There is Erik's wolf costume which was a guidebook giveaway in Japan and included on the Switch version, think there's also a pig costume for Veronica. Not sure if either made it into the PS4 re-release.

Nov 15, 2017
In Act 1 just get Hustle Dance with Sylvando for healing and Multi-thrust with Jade for attacking. Both are technically available as soon as they join and will take care of you through pretty much anything for a while

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I just beat Dragon Quest Builders 2 yesterday. It is a really great game. I don't think 2 is the all around superior game compared to 1 that a lot of people seem to think it is, but I will say that I grew far more attached to Malroth than I expected. I think both Builders games do a surprisingly good job at conveying the vibes of their respective Dragon Quest RPGs: Builders 1 captures the balance between the solitude of adventure and the liveliness of towns from DQ1, and Builders 2 in kind captures the fun of the more social adventure of DQ2.

Here's hoping Builders 3 comes out before too long.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm thinking of finally playing through DQ VII for the first time. But I'm stumped on the eternal question: PS1 version or 3DS? I have both. The 3DS version seems to have nice quality of life improvements, but then it makes sense to play the PS1 version first because 3DS seems perfect for a replay someday. But then again, the 3DS servers won't be up forever, and I don't want to miss out on all those DLC tablets. That DLC issue tips the scale towards 3DS for me, but I feel kinda bad skipping over the original version.

Interesting how the adventure combined elements from the first three games. Loved the practical effect monsters.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I'm thinking of finally playing through DQ VII for the first time. But I'm stumped on the eternal question: PS1 version or 3DS? I have both. The 3DS version seems to have nice quality of life improvements, but then it makes sense to play the PS1 version first because 3DS seems perfect for a replay someday. But then again, the 3DS servers won't be up forever, and I don't want to miss out on all those DLC tablets. That DLC issue tips the scale towards 3DS for me, but I feel kinda bad skipping over the original version.

The PS1 version is a slow burn. What's cool about DQVII is how it feels like CD-Rom adventure games like Myst. You're poking around a lot at the start, exploring the environments. Then later, the vignettes really steal the show. The best, saddest, sweetest stories in the series probably.

I think the PS1 version is better for this feeling of lived-in adventuring. The 3DS version loses some of the scope but it's still a great experience and easier to read through because the English translation is more consistent.

On another note, I was playing through DQ1 the last couple of days trying to will some Dragon Quest announcements into existence this month. What a great game, Switch game clock said 5 hours, which seems shorter than how it felt but still very compact fun time, like eating a home-cooked meal, so comforting and familiar.

I hope this isn't all that's planned for DQ Day... To be fair though, even those "in the know" in DQ circles don't seem to know much about much.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The PS1 version is a slow burn. What's cool about DQVII is how it feels like CD-Rom adventure games like Myst. You're poking around a lot at the start, exploring the environments. Then later, the vignettes really steal the show. The best, saddest, sweetest stories in the series probably.

I think the PS1 version is better for this feeling of lived-in adventuring. The 3DS version loses some of the scope but it's still a great experience and easier to read through because the English translation is more consistent.

On another note, I was playing through DQ1 the last couple of days trying to will some Dragon Quest announcements into existence this month. What a great game, Switch game clock said 5 hours, which seems shorter than how it felt but still very compact fun time, like eating a home-cooked meal, so comforting and familiar.

I hope this isn't all that's planned for DQ Day... To be fair though, even those "in the know" in DQ circles don't seem to know much about much.

I played through the first few hours of the PS1 version and I definitely see what you mean. Definitely has some late 90s adventure game vibes. I actually really enjoyed the slow buildup, and the cave where you collect the armor of the sages was neat too. The 3DS version is much zippier in comparison.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Didn't they cite the reason they wanted to make an offline X was to bring it to the west?

Seems like it's the whole point of the thing

it also didn't have the disclaimer that the X expansion did, and we know the rest of the games are coming here

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Didn't they cite the reason they wanted to make an offline X was to bring it to the west?

Seems like it's the whole point of the thing

it also didn't have the disclaimer that the X expansion did, and we know the rest of the games are coming here

Maybe in the English broadcast, no mention of it in the main broadcast. They didn't mention hardware either, my guess is it is Smartphone, as PC/Switch/PS4 already have DQ10 Online.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Maybe in the English broadcast, no mention of it in the main broadcast. They didn't mention hardware either, my guess is it is Smartphone, as PC/Switch/PS4 already have DQ10 Online.
It didn't really look like a smart phone game

It's probably PC, Switch and PS4. It's probably being made for a different market than the MMORPG market that already owns X Online