• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, interesting. I hadn't heard anyone talk about it (probably because it never released in the US/EU) so I guess I assumed it was a failed experiment.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, finished Act 1 in DQXI S yesterday.
I didn't think it would pull some sort of FFVI on me with the world going to shit!

I've played a couple character stories, crazy to think those weren't even in vanilla PS4. But I loooooooooooove this game.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Gah i'm so damn mad

I'm so mad they killed Veronica, she was my favorite in term of how she acted in story and such, Serena isn't nearly as likeable and to top it off they went with the lame trope of her cutting her hair. Make that scene worst won't you game.

Lame tbh ;-;

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Gah i'm so damn mad

I'm so mad they killed Veronica, she was my favorite in term of how she acted in story and such, Serena isn't nearly as likeable and to top it off they went with the lame trope of her cutting her hair. Make that scene worst won't you game.

Lame tbh ;-;

Serena OP af now tho

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot how slow DQ VIII is at the beginning and can't remember when it picks up. I'm tempted to drop it for a bit a go dive into VII. I know VII is slow as well but I never played it past a few hours on the PlayStation and I'm wondering if it's more bite sized stories are better for where I am in my life as far as being able to play games.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I forgot how slow DQ VIII is at the beginning and can't remember when it picks up. I'm tempted to drop it for a bit a go dive into VII. I know VII is slow as well but I never played it past a few hours on the PlayStation and I'm wondering if it's more bite sized stories are better for where I am in my life as far as being able to play games.
I've always seen the slowness of VIII to be both intentional, AND Comfy. I think it helps to get in the right mindset for it and let the more cinematic style of the game to wash over you a bit. It feels... different, in my eyes, to other Rpg's in this style, at least in the beginning.

Besides, all these kinds of Rpgs are slower paced with the emphasis it has, VII would only be faster in that it isn't quite past 16bit design. It's a phenomenally longer game then VIII, and feels WAY slower in ways that would be counter intuitive to your predicament.

If it helps, Emulation (since you own a legal copy of the game) helps wonders in stop-and-go with Rpg games. You can easily save state and pick up where you left off when you have more time, and even speed up the fights more then usually avalible. Perhaps that can help you get past the general issues with time management a lot of folks deal with as their life takes different paths.

I mean, DQ VIII is a very worthwhile game to play and enjoy, I would rather you got a better shot at enjoying it then give it up.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I mean, personally I always thought that the game picks up after getting Angelo in the team (which is like 5 hours in), but I wouldn't say it has a slow start, you get to explore a dungeon probably 20 minutes in the game to take back Kalderasha's sphere IIRC
VII is definitely slower and a bigger experience all around, especially if you play the outdated PXS version.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's possible that the physical version of DQ11:DE on PS4 in Australia has been cancelled? I got an email from Amazon saying that it was cancelled and a search on the Australian Amazon site for 'dragon quest definitive edition' only shows the Switch version now. A search on the US site shows it's still there.

From the email:
We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

"Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order [xxxx] and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

EDIT: It's not showing up as existing on the Australian site for EB Games or JB Hifi.

Last edited:

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Finished 8 on 3DS. It was fine, I guess? I wanted to like it more than I did. The stories weren't all that interesting, and the main characters barely exist after recruiting them. The combat was very standard, and I never felt compelled to use the tension system. And the ending didn't feel very earned to me. I get that it's a classic fairytale thing, but it just didn't do it for me.

I feel like 7 is probably next for me. I've started and dropped it a few times, but now that I've completed 3 DQ games, I'll be compelled to keep playing 7 past where I've dropped it before.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Finished 8 on 3DS. It was fine, I guess? I wanted to like it more than I did. The stories weren't all that interesting, and the main characters barely exist after recruiting them. The combat was very standard, and I never felt compelled to use the tension system. And the ending didn't feel very earned to me. I get that it's a classic fairytale thing, but it just didn't do it for me.

I feel like 7 is probably next for me. I've started and dropped it a few times, but now that I've completed 3 DQ games, I'll be compelled to keep playing 7 past where I've dropped it before.
Just try to use Party Chat on the next game you play, it helps flesh out the characters and adds to the experience.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Just try to use Party Chat on the next game you play, it helps flesh out the characters and adds to the experience.
I used it quite a bit in 8. It was nice, but I have a hard time seeing it as more than just commentary on the events rather than actual involvement.

But I'll make sure to keep using it. I hear it's especially good in DQ5.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I used it quite a bit in 8. It was nice, but I have a hard time seeing it as more than just commentary on the events rather than actual involvement.

But I'll make sure to keep using it. I hear it's especially good in DQ5.
Yeah, my apologies if that came off bad, honestly it's been a long while since I played DQ8, I wanna go back to it someday, haha! Forgot if party chat was anything special in the original, I just remember the two new partymembers (and of course Yangus) being amazing in party chat, ESPECIALLY MORRIE.

DQ6 has my favorite party chat, since for most of it, Carver and Millie are just splendid characters to chat up, one brusque and goofy, the other reserved and compassionate. Very fun party chats from them, in my book.

And of course DQ11 has some of the best in the series in my opinion, the characters are especially interesting in it and have a lot of things to say over time, I love party chatting them whenever something happens.

So yeah, classic DQ party chat is more reactive though, you are likely not gonna get anything until you talk to someone first, or do something in other circumstances. If you want the most entertaining character, you have a choice that should be fairly obvious around the early-mid point of the game.

(Psst, it's Deborah, it's always gonna be Deborah for me, she's the best)

Hope you have a good time with party chat in the future!

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
No worries. Thanks for the info!

I didn't want sound too down on 8 since it's still a DQ game, which always means it's charming and relaxing and bright and still a good time overall.

And I should have mentioned how much I enjoyed Trode as a character and how the voice actor was absolutely perfect. A great "Navi"-style character who comments on the story and maintains the mood.

I feel like I spoiled myself by playing 11 first, since it seems like it does everything really really well and I'll need to adjust expectations for previous games in the series. But again, it's DQ. They'll always be a joy to play.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah party chat in the 2D games is great because you can just hit a button and the characters will respond to so much stuff. I think it really brings out the characterization in those games.

VIII is cool and all but I always find it to be a bit of a pain to play compared to the others. The areas are so big and kind of annoying to traverse.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Party chat often has characters opine and react to things. A lot of it is coloring and can, as such, be viewed as fluff but basically instead of bloating the text you have to read, it is text that the user chooses to read. The NPCs are similarly designed. The thing is, there are also whole, optional stories behind this optional text at times, e.g. Felonia in DQ6.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I want to replay DQ7/8 on the 3DS, but never downloaded the DLC that Nintendo put out for them. I hear they can still be accessed with an ActionReplay? or do I need to hack my 3DS to gain access to them.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
V is up there with ix for you? Think I just might be motivated.
It's extra awesome if you can force, under pain of losing half their gold and going back to the last church they saved at, a room mate or family member or whoever you can trust to see in these dark times...

...to get a copy of the game then selves and play the co-op with you!

Granted, you should know that like a previous poster mentioned, this game also has on-cart DLC that is unlocked via online connection, however there have been cracks and methods of spoofing to allow you access to these, so I'd look for them sometime after you get situated.

DQ IX is a pretty fun time, if I have any early advice, don't pick a Thief as a party member early on, they suck. It's a vocational game, though in a much more direct sense then many others in the series so far, so changing jobs is a thing, just better to hit the ground running, is all.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's extra awesome if you can force, under pain of losing half their gold and going back to the last church they saved at, a room mate or family member or whoever you can trust to see in these dark times...

...to get a copy of the game then selves and play the co-op with you!

Granted, you should know that like a previous poster mentioned, this game also has on-cart DLC that is unlocked via online connection, however there have been cracks and methods of spoofing to allow you access to these, so I'd look for them sometime after you get situated.

DQ IX is a pretty fun time, if I have any early advice, don't pick a Thief as a party member early on, they suck. It's a vocational game, though in a much more direct sense then many others in the series so far, so changing jobs is a thing, just better to hit the ground running, is all.

Yeah IX has been on the shelf bc I'm aware access to the online content is a little inaccessible. Tbh, I'd be fine with what's on the card only. There's still a good amount of content right?

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Yeah IX has been on the shelf bc I'm aware access to the online content is a little inaccessible. Tbh, I'd be fine with what's on the card only. There's still a good amount of content right?

Yeah, absolutely. I got it on release day, so it's been quite a long time since I've played it, but I remember spending over 100 hours with it. Now, unfortunately, I cannot remember about the DLC, but what I do remember is loving the main game.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
DQ IX's DLC is really not a big deal at all, I must confess. It's mostly just little holiday stuff and a lot of MMO style nonsense stuff like doing rediculous things on enemies you can't find anywhere but in the deepesr Grottoes (Randomly created dungeons that you can trade between friends)

Not worth worrying about. Just enjoy the game and have a good time!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I just wish it was possible to "tweak" something to make playing co-op with others over long distances possible. I've always wanted to at most play this game with someone the whole way through, and at least trade that blasted map that has only the best enemy for Exp on one of the floors...

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I guess it wasn't really tweaking your router

PSA: Method to get the DLC without hacking/multiplayer - Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

For Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies on the DS, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "PSA: Method to get the DLC without hacking/multiplayer".

That thread has some methods to get the dlc

thanks I was just looking at this thread.

With just the in game content alone, if I did it all, what's the playtime look like?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
thanks I was just looking at this thread.

With just the in game content alone, if I did it all, what's the playtime look like?
It's probably roughly 50-70 hours of content considering just the main game and a few quests, but make no mistake, this game is built like a freaking PSO game. There are a LOT of quests, and you can make and find a lot of equipment.

I think my savefile is roughly 200+ hours, which is why I want to buy a new copy to do a new game, because if I lost my data I'd be somewhat disappointed.

If you take your time, you'll have a lot of fun, is what I'm saying.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's probably roughly 50-70 hours of content considering just the main game and a few quests, but make no mistake, this game is built like a freaking PSO game. There are a LOT of quests, and you can make and find a lot of equipment.

I think my savefile is roughly 200+ hours, which is why I want to buy a new copy to do a new game, because if I lost my data I'd be somewhat disappointed.

If you take your time, you'll have a lot of fun, is what I'm saying.

Thanks. It's good so far. Are grottoes formally introduced to me or do I just need to explore to find them?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Thanks. It's good so far. Are grottoes formally introduced to me or do I just need to explore to find them?
Yeah, there's a mountain next to the guy that teaches you to be a Ranger a little ways into the game, you get your first map there as part of a small quest.

Basically, you fight your way to the bottom of the Grotto to fight one of the bosses of it, and after defeating it, you get a random map based on the total current strength of your party. The higher leveled everyone, most especially your main character, is, the more likely the Map will be higher leveled and contain more powerful parts to it's name, suggesting a higher quality which leads to better chests and monsters.

Something like "Granite path of Woe lvl 12" is a lot less likely to be good then "Ruby path of Doom lvl 87," but if you're not high leveled the latter is mostly what you'll get.

This is a good guide on the inherit mechanics dictating them.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - Grotto Mechanics Guide - DS - By Terence - GameFAQs

For Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies on the DS, Grotto Mechanics Guide by Terence.

The bottom line though, is that better grottoes will give you better treasures and harder monsters to fight.

Other things to watch out for is that bosses of these grottoes, as well as the chests of high leveled grottes, both have a chance to provide end game equipment, and have had their random chance mechanics completely broken and identified by the DQ community in JP.

Here are two tools for taking advantage of this!

The Hoimi Table (Heal spell Table) exists to mess with the random number generator dictating rewards for beating an encounter, and is specifically helpful in guanrteeing powerful equipment from Grotto bosses.

Hoimi Table > Dragon Quest IX DS > Dragons Den: Dragon Quest Fansite

Dragon Quest 9 for Nintendo DS Hoimi Table and how to use.

the Grotto Calculator helps you figure out what exactly your grotto will contain, including the chance it has at having Exp enemies residing within like Platnum King Jewels and King Metal Slimes, as well as chests and the quality and number of them, and what boss resides there.

Grotto Calculator

Dragon Quest IX Grotto Calculator.

And of course, last but CERTAINLY not least, the legendary Chest Timer, which will take the info for your Grotto and develop a table that will scroll upwards with all the treasures in the grottoe, that when properly timed with your game's starting from a quick save, can guarntee you get whatever you want from the chests in your grotto.

this Livejournal explains the process and links the timer.

kyatione.livejournal.com

Grotto Chest Farming in Dragon Quest 9

Grotto Chest Farming in Dragon Quest 9 If youre looking how to farm Grotto chests in Dragon Quest 9 to get those particular items that you want then this guide is for you. To get the items you want you will have to learn to use the Chest Timer. I do not take credit for the steps as that is…

So, basically, Grottos are really awesome for postgame stuff when you bypass all the luck needed to get the good stuff. I wouldn't worry about this until you beat the game, but it will help you a lot to maximizing your characters eventually, so you should save this info somewhere.

Have fun with DQIX!

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, there's a mountain next to the guy that teaches you to be a Ranger a little ways into the game, you get your first map there as part of a small quest.

Basically, you fight your way to the bottom of the Grotto to fight one of the bosses of it, and after defeating it, you get a random map based on the total current strength of your party. The higher leveled everyone, most especially your main character, is, the more likely the Map will be higher leveled and contain more powerful parts to it's name, suggesting a higher quality which leads to better chests and monsters.

Something like "Granite path of Woe lvl 12" is a lot less likely to be good then "Ruby path of Doom lvl 87," but if you're not high leveled the latter is mostly what you'll get.

This is a good guide on the inherit mechanics dictating them.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - Grotto Mechanics Guide - DS - By Terence - GameFAQs

For Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies on the DS, Grotto Mechanics Guide by Terence.

The bottom line though, is that better grottoes will give you better treasures and harder monsters to fight.

Other things to watch out for is that bosses of these grottoes, as well as the chests of high leveled grottes, both have a chance to provide end game equipment, and have had their random chance mechanics completely broken and identified by the DQ community in JP.

Here are two tools for taking advantage of this!

The Hoimi Table (Heal spell Table) exists to mess with the random number generator dictating rewards for beating an encounter, and is specifically helpful in guanrteeing powerful equipment from Grotto bosses.

Hoimi Table > Dragon Quest IX DS > Dragons Den: Dragon Quest Fansite

Dragon Quest 9 for Nintendo DS Hoimi Table and how to use.

the Grotto Calculator helps you figure out what exactly your grotto will contain, including the chance it has at having Exp enemies residing within like Platnum King Jewels and King Metal Slimes, as well as chests and the quality and number of them, and what boss resides there.

Grotto Calculator

Dragon Quest IX Grotto Calculator.

And of course, last but CERTAINLY not least, the legendary Chest Timer, which will take the info for your Grotto and develop a table that will scroll upwards with all the treasures in the grottoe, that when properly timed with your game's starting from a quick save, can guarntee you get whatever you want from the chests in your grotto.

this Livejournal explains the process and links the timer.

kyatione.livejournal.com

Grotto Chest Farming in Dragon Quest 9

Grotto Chest Farming in Dragon Quest 9 If youre looking how to farm Grotto chests in Dragon Quest 9 to get those particular items that you want then this guide is for you. To get the items you want you will have to learn to use the Chest Timer. I do not take credit for the steps as that is…

So, basically, Grottos are really awesome for postgame stuff when you bypass all the luck needed to get the good stuff. I wouldn't worry about this until you beat the game, but it will help you a lot to maximizing your characters eventually, so you should save this info somewhere.

Have fun with DQIX!

Thanks so much. This is great.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
There wouldn't happen to be anyone in NY that has the DLC on their card, right? Trying to connect to local co-op to unlock it. Thought I'd ask.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wow, update. I was able to access the DQ VC via Gardaer's DNS using a guest hotspot with a Fios router. I suggest anyone here trying to do the same to go for it. The DLC is on the card now.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I just wish there was an easier way to establish a "street pass" connection to swap maps through the internet or something, like how you could do something like that with KH: ReCoded.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I just wish there was an easier way to establish a "street pass" connection to swap maps through the internet or something, like how you could do something like that with KH: ReCoded.

I was very lucky to get a Metal Slime infested map in Toronto way back in 2010. Need to dig out that card and relive those memories.