• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
Gonna pick this up in a few hours. Can't wait, as the demo was insanely fun, way more than I would've expected from a Minecraft-like title. I admire Minecraft for what it does, but the lack of a clear goal really makes its experience very vague for people like me. This game looks like the better compromise and, from what I heard, it boasts very good music too!

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's that i already own the game on ps4 otherwise i would have surely gotten it, 2 is a lock for switch tho.

Anyway awesome game if you like classic zelda like combat + like building but need a bit of guidance then this is your game.

Don't miss out it's really cool.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Happy Builders Day folks!
DVldJ9BU8AA2XB0.jpg

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I got around to playing the Switch version. Just a curiosity to note: It does appear the Japanese version may be included on the Western releases, but appears to be disabled for now. The icon updates accordingly when the system language is set to Japanese, but the game is, currently, locked to English. I suspect Nintendo will issue an update next month once the Japanese version launches to unlock it.

Still odd that we got it before Japan.

Anyways, playing through the game (for the first time) in English is... a slightly different experience. The name changes I'm gonna have to get used to a bit, but nothing major. However, there is one thing I have issue with this version of the game and it's... something about the handheld mode of the game. I haven't gotten a chance to play in docked mode yet, due to my dock being unhooked at the moment, but the portable mode feels... not quite as smooth as it could be. Like, it's not that the 30fps cap is bothering me in particular, but there's something about it that makes the game feel like it's "lagging", almost like a stutter. I don't remember experiencing this at all in my Japanese PS4 playthrough and it is bothering me a bit. I'm normally not sensitive to this sort of thing, but here it's... It just doesn't feel smooth.

Regardless, graphical presentation is nice enough, even if it's scaled back from the PS4 version. Controls feel smooth enough and I don't really have any issues with it. Looking at the file size, it does look to be on par with the PS4's, which is good, so people struggling with space for digital downloads should be pleased enough by this.

Will be nice to playthrough this game again, especially with less of a language barrier this time around (I do know Japanese, but I'm far from fluent).

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
$50 when I have a 10 hour game on PS4. Ugh. I shouldn't double dip.... but I might...

Is there any benefit to the Switch version beyond portable?

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Should I get this or SMO???

Decisions decisions...

You're asking me to pick between my two all time favorite game franchises. As much as I'd rather you support western Dragon Quest releases because it needs the help a lot more than Mario does, I couldn't possibly recommend this game over SMO.

That being said, this game is awesome and deserves your money.

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
I tried the demo and I love it... Do we know if the full game is multiplayer?

Edit: thanks for the repplies... I'm sorry.
Lesson learned

Last edited:

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I enjoyed the demo, and it was walled off for obvious reasons, but how deep is this game?

The world didn't seem very big (demo limitation I'm sure), and the teleporter makes me concerned that it's a bunch of small worlds connected by teleporters.

Deleted member 12162

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$50 when I have a 10 hour game on PS4. Ugh. I shouldn't double dip.... but I might...

I'm with you there, bud...

And I believe the Switch has an exclusive Sabercat mount that allows you to pick up pixel blocks to create 8-bit items.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so torn on whether I should get this or not. I love the DQ presentation and the gameplay was fun, but the fact that you have to rebuild a new town every chapter dampens my enthusiasm quite a bit.

Excitemike

Dec 20, 2017
However, there is one thing I have issue with this version of the game and it's... something about the handheld mode of the game. I haven't gotten a chance to play in docked mode yet, due to my dock being unhooked at the moment, but the portable mode feels... not quite as smooth as it could be. Like, it's not that the 30fps cap is bothering me in particular, but there's something about it that makes the game feel like it's "lagging", almost like a stutter. I don't remember experiencing this at all in my Japanese PS4 playthrough and it is bothering me a bit. I'm normally not sensitive to this sort of thing, but here it's... It just doesn't feel smooth.

There was a bug in the English PS4 version that produced that effect, but only when you are holding a block. I hadn't noticed in the demo, but it could still be there.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played on ps4 and loved it, resisting the urge to buy until 2 comes out but I wanna play again :'(

Palehorse

Oct 25, 2017
Victoria
Oh yeah. I got really sucked in by the demo and stopped cold once I hit the 'demo over' message so as not to overstay - I knew I'd be playing the full version. I preordered this yesterday via the eshop and so it should be ready for me after work today. Can't wait!

Oct 26, 2017
I always buy tiny games like this one digitally. But if you're planning to dive in right away, play it through to completion and don't care to have it in your permanent game library, there's a lot of sense going the physical route for re-sale purposes.
In my case it's really just the DQ fan in me tells me I should go physical, but I think the game would really work well to always have on-hand.

I'll probably get it digital.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it that I love the Dragon Quest Overture so much?

Every time I hear that theme, especially in the grand way it's presented these days, it makes me emotional. I can't say it's nostalgia because I only played Dragon Warrior a little as a kid visiting other people's houses, so I can't say I have a fond remembrance of the game or the themes (though I do remember some of them), but every time I see a Dragon Quest trailer or watch an opening I feel that music swelling and it's overwhelming. Maybe it's the sense of adventure that the theme invokes, but just booting up this game hit me in a way I wasn't expecting while I wasn't even paying that much attention that I had to close the game just to watch the opening again.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
The launch trailer for this is really good!

Been enjoying the demo and looking forward to picking mine up from the mail after I get off work today. I wish and hope we're getting the second game though. I still want Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 as well and think it's crazy that Square Enix still hasn't released that at least digitally since it was a launch game for the Switch in Japan.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
so I built the colossal coffer...and some hours later I filled it up

I build another but I cannot use it

any ideas?

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
so I built the colossal coffer...and some hours later I filled it up

I build another but I cannot use it

any ideas?
Just having a Colossal Coffer out means you get to use the expanded storage space that you can access through the menu, in case you didn't already know. But, once you've used up that space, your only recourse is to put down the small, brown chests that have their own, isolated storage.

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't think I would enjoy the demo as much as I did, but it has convinced to buy the full game. I have a flight to Tokyo in a couple weeks and I think this will be the perfect game to play on the plane.

I had a question regarding the OST. How is the music in this game? I absolutely loved what was in the demo, gave me an 80's anime fantasy feel. However, I saw a review that mentions the music gets repetitive over subsequent levels. Does the same melody play throughout the game or is there variation in the music? Thanks!

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Amazon delayed mine to wednesday and my local shops didn't received it. :-(

Too impatient, I bought it digitally. I couldn't use the save data from the demo, but it's not very long to catch up, it's OK. I'm happy !

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like to get back into this, but I never finished it on Vita. I'd prefer to play it on Switch because I'd like to have the option to play on the television, but probably not at full price. Hopefully it will drop soon, this was a super charming game.

Chump

Jan 11, 2018

One of the bullet points on Amazon says this:

"Nintendo Switch version of the game Exclusive content: gather special materials with the Great Sabrecub to unlock retro customization options, including the Dragon Quest Game Pak "

So it does seem like there is some extra exclusive content on the Switch version

Chump

Jan 11, 2018
What exactly is this game?
Is this purely sandbox gameplay with some very loose story more akin to minecraft?
Or is it focused on progression, gearing, fighting like something like Terraria?

I personally can't do much with sandbox games, they just bore me after a short while but when I have some progression, good fights and a solid building system, I can really get into it.

I am not a Minecraft fan but I loved the Dragon Quest Builders demo. It has a storylline that drives you through the game and it made me feel nostalgia for old school Dragon Warrior/Quest games on the NES. Seemed like it was focused on progression but you could play around as much as you want

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really impressed with the demo, I'm going to pick this up. Is it hard to get the sabrecat, is it a sidequest or something? I've always loved them!