• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I mean, I know in my case the game wasn't even remotely close to my radar. Never been in to DQ, never played Minecraft, etc. But I saw too many "This game completely caught me off guard with how fun it is, everyone needs to try it" type of posts and decided to pick it up and I've loved every second of it. I definitely think there's a lot of people new to this genre/DQ in general who were sold on the game because of the overwhelmingly positive reaction on forums.
Heh. I got it for the exact same reason. Never played a DQ (well, except for the original), and never got into Minecraft.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Most of you guys are probably in post-game now, while I, 50+ (or 60+) hours in, am still in chapter 2. LOL.

Just struck gold last night and managed to make my dragon mail and dragon slayer. Now I need to find zenithium to make the power shield or whatever it's called. Does anyone know where to find zenithium in chapter 2? Thanks.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Most of you guys are probably in post-game now, while I, 50+ (or 60+) hours in, am still in chapter 2. LOL.

Just struck gold last night and managed to make my dragon mail and dragon slayer. Now I need to find zenithium to make the power shield or whatever it's called. Does anyone know where to find zenithium in chapter 2? Thanks.

You'll get it through story, although idk if you can sequence skip to it earlier if you find it or it spawns with the quest

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, that's not how they work. They, like the Living Statues, only speed up the process once *you* start them, much like how Magrog only helps speed along things smelting in the smithy.
Damn that sucks. I might dismiss mine then. Thanks for the heads up

Story will eventually guide you to it. It's hard to describe on the map where it is for you to try and get it early.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
You'll get it through story, although idk if you can sequence skip to it earlier if you find it or it spawns with the quest

Thanks. Can't wait to finish my shield.

Also, I liked the ancient underground temple dungeon. Are there any more dungeon-like areas to look forward to?

Story will eventually guide you to it. It's hard to describe on the map where it is for you to try and get it early.

Thanks. As long as I can get it just by following the story and not hunt around looking for it, I can manage.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
An epilogue DLC sounds promising, even if the requirements are a little stiffer than I'd like.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Random observation: I've been messing around with inventory cheats in the PS4 version and the weather-control cards are already in the game. I've added them into my inventory but they don't seem to do anything yet. Just thought I'd share.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Random observation: I've been messing around with inventory cheats in the PS4 version and the weather-control cards are already in the game. I've added them into my inventory but they don't seem to do anything yet. Just thought I'd share.
Is the inventory cheat where you sort of put something in the chest but turn away at the last moment? Or something else?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
No that's just for duplication as far as I know. What I'm doing is modifying the savefile using a PC program to get specific items.
Interesting. Is there a link to read up on that? I'm not sure if I'll do it since I'd be worries about breaking anything before I'm at the end of the game but I'm very curious about this

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Interesting. Is there a link to read up on that? I'm not sure if I'll do it since I'd be worries about breaking anything before I'm at the end of the game but I'm very curious about this
I did it using PS4 Save Wizard, which is a paid program with built-in cheats for lots of games. I wouldn't recommend messing with cheats in this (or any game, personally) until you've finished it though. I'm not sure how this game handles progress flags and stuff so having items before you're supposed to might break stuff.

Although as much as I love this game I do HATE the combat, so using the max HP/max attack cheats might make the Moonbrooke chapter a bit nicer...

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
All this sounds excellent. A pity about not flute update but them deciding to make the flag also affect villagers.
Someone mentions population cap going up to 100 in the comments. Dunno if true though.
I think they'd have to increase the population size
If they let the Ark bros move onto your island
Even if there is nothing in the update notes about this i wouldnt be surprised as one of the screens show the ark now being an option for the buildtopia and one of the final characters talkong to you as a villager.
The 100 population NEEDS to happen.
Edit oh! Its actually a special epilogue for those guys! I really hope that completing their epilogue one of the things you get is 100 max populatiom for each island.

Pairing that to now being able to have 3 different buildertopias (one of the things im most excited in this update) you could have 400 max population for the whole game!

Last edited:

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there were some sort of search or sort feature when you're at a workbench. Or at least put the recipes in alphabetical order or something. Trying to find one particular item can be like searching for a needle in a haystack sometimes.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I did it using PS4 Save Wizard, which is a paid program with built-in cheats for lots of games. I wouldn't recommend messing with cheats in this (or any game, personally) until you've finished it though. I'm not sure how this game handles progress flags and stuff so having items before you're supposed to might break stuff.

Although as much as I love this game I do HATE the combat, so using the max HP/max attack cheats might make the Moonbrooke chapter a bit nicer...
Thank you !

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game get more interesting? I've come back to the the home island after finishing the first island and now I have to build a river. I dunno it seems good so far and I have enjoyed it but it's just a load of tasks and the combat isn't very good. And it's kinda resetted all my stuff and everything and I gotta remember how I built certain types of rooms and everything.

I can't remember everything from the first island like what to put in each room, size etc to change it to what I want. I dunno it just seems like a lot to remember with little reward and now I gotta do it all again?

I never really understood how the automated tasks worked from the first island either as it's just seems very vague and not explained well. Like I made a kitchen like to told me to but sometimes they cooked and sometimes they didn't but if there was stuff to pick up from the stove they would just stop cooking? Sometimes they'd put food in the chest after it was cooked? But I'm just guessing...I might be wrong....Same with building a picnic table, if it's empty of food does that mean they stop eating from there or will they get more food from the storage chests or do I have to do that myself?

Speaking of chests how do I actually make them get and put stuff in chests?

This game is good but something about it just isn't geling with me either. It's the lack of info it gives you on can I or can't I stuff I think and I'm never sure if I'm playing it right or if I could do something that would make it ten times easier by collecting and making through automation.

Oct 28, 2017
Does this game get more interesting? I've come back to the the home island after finishing the first island and now I have to build a river. I dunno it seems good so far and I have enjoyed it but it's just a load of tasks and the combat isn't very good. And it's kinda resetted all my stuff and everything and I gotta remember how I built certain types of rooms and everything.

I can't remember everything from the first island like what to put in each room, size etc to change it to what I want. I dunno it just seems like a lot to remember with little reward and now I gotta do it all again?

I never really understood how the automated tasks worked from the first island either as it's just seems very vague and not explained well. Like I made a kitchen like to told me to but sometimes they cooked and sometimes they didn't but if there was stuff to pick up from the stove they would just stop cooking? Sometimes they'd put food in the chest after it was cooked? But I'm just guessing...I might be wrong....Same with building a picnic table, if it's empty of food does that mean they stop eating from there or will they get more food from the storage chests or do I have to do that myself?

Speaking of chests how do I actually make them get and put stuff in chests?

This game is good but something about it just isn't geling with me either. It's the lack of info it gives you on can I or can't I stuff I think and I'm never sure if I'm playing it right or if I could do something that would make it ten times easier by collecting and making through automation.
More interesting? Maybe? You learn how to do a ton of different things in the game, to the point where while the Furrowfield chapter may contain the essence of the gameplay loop, it doesn't even scratch the surface of the depth that it has to offer in just about every single gameplay element.

The Builderpedia keeps track of everything you've ever done (including rooms you've built) just in case you don't want to use a secondary information source while playing. There's also a Tips and Tricks section in the menu that lets you read all the basics again just in case somehow you glossed over it or couldn't read the tiny text fast enough.

As far as I can tell, only the female villagers and children do any cooking. They will prioritize cooking things in a nearby Chest, and put it back in there when it is done cooking. However, they also have hours where they are doing routine life stuff and not working, so food may be unattended for a while, especially while they sleep. Adding extra cooking fires seems to amplify meal production somewhat.

The special kitchens on the second island do not need ingredients placed into the chest, they can cook one type of food for "free" in that one. I'm being somewhat deliberately vague to avoid spoilers.

All NPCs can move food from the kitchen chest to other locations (meal storage areas on top of plates, other chests). They will only eat any items that are in surplus, meaning that they will always leave 5 of any available cooked food in the chest for the Builder to eat.

Automation is a little opaque, I believe the final update is going to have some sort of system to "show" the automation flow of the Villagers daily paths so that we'll be able to optimize it better, but that may take some time to release in other countries.

Finally, there's no shame if the game isn't gelling with you. If a game doesn't feel right, you can always put it aside and try it again or sell it/trade it in. There are many games that just don't click for me when I play but I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching other people play them on streaming services that may be an option you want to check out, especially if you're okay at multitasking.

mothball

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That 100 isn't a population limit increase, they updated the pause screen to show how many rooms you have on the IoA out of the 100 limit.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Despite that fact I've spent at least 25 hours playing DQB2, having just wrapped up Furrowfield I appreciate I'm still early in the campaign. Nevertheless, right now this is my game of the year. A new franchise entry I was very much looking forward to, that *didn't* disappoint (Trials Rising!), and that has greatly expanded the scope of what this kind of builder/rpg hybrid can be.

I've played a fair few of the 'Minecraft + <X>' hybrid-games, looking for something that had the resource and building stuff, but with a structure more appealing to me, and DQB (particularly 2, from what I've so far seen) just *crushes* it. And everything about how Furrowfield wrapped up was wholesome as all get-out.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
For the last story location, does anyone have a guide for the seeds? I have found one so far

Oct 28, 2017
For the last story location, does anyone have a guide for the seeds? I have found one so far
Could you be more specific? The final story location does not have any seeds for flowers or crops. Do you mean Seeds of Life? There aren't any hidden ones, the ones in chests will be right next to story important chests.

The only "hidden" thing in the final story location is, afaik, a potential resident for that location plus a chest with a Yggdrasil Leaf.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Could you be more specific? The final story location does not have any seeds for flowers or crops. Do you mean Seeds of Life? There aren't any hidden ones, the ones in chests will be right next to story important chests.

The only "hidden" thing in the final story location is, afaik, a potential resident for that location plus a chest with a Yggdrasil Leaf.
Sorry, I did mean seeds of life. I found one in a chest and assumed there would be two more. I also found the Yggdrasil leaf. Could you tell me more about the potential resident?

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'm (I think) right at the end of the Furrowfield chapter of the game, and finally just built my first large two story building. What started as a request from Lillian to build her a small private room turned in to a full hour of building the two story house, with an upstairs porch overlooking my cabbage and tomato fields. Theres a staircase inside with a landing halfway up and I'm now working on more bedrooms and a bathroom. It's insane how sucked in to this game I can get once I get an idea in my head and start to work on it.

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I did mean seeds of life. I found one in a chest and assumed there would be two more. I also found the Yggdrasil leaf. Could you tell me more about the potential resident?
There's a dark place you can go through later that has a potential resident hidden it it, they have the optional quest marker (a red hammer) over their head. I'm not sure if there's an actual path to get to them, I ended up resetting my position by mistake and had to revisit the area and make a tunnel to get to them.

I think there's only two Seeds of Life in the final location but it has been a while since I was there and I didn't track things too well on my first play through.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
There's a dark place you can go through later that has a potential resident hidden it it, they have the optional quest marker (a red hammer) over their head. I'm not sure if there's an actual path to get to them, I ended up resetting my position by mistake and had to revisit the area and make a tunnel to get to them.

I think there's only two Seeds of Life in the final location but it has been a while since I was there and I didn't track things too well on my first play through.
Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for that quest marker and the second seed of life.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it today, what a great game! Hopefully, there will be a Builders 3.

Now I'm even interested in playing DQ1+2 to get the "back story" for the Builder games, even though I never really liked the Dragon Quest games (I played through V and thought it was a very mediocre RPG).

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the story today. First thing I want to do post game is to unlock the final two explorer islands. It'll take some time since I can only afford one of them at the moment lol

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
Found a clean version of the boxart without the logo and the dude Builder closeup. Thought it was cute so posting it here
hdXkNxk.jpg

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Does anyone else have two bottomless pots? I don't know where it came from, but out of the blue I found a second bottomless pot in my inventory as a regular item. I can equip it and switch between it and the pot I already had. What's more, this mystery pot was filled with seawater. I don't even have the pot upgrade yet so I can't scoop seawater.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
When I talk to Clayton on the first Island, he still asks me if I built a barn yet even though I've had a fully functional one for a while now. He has a grey exclamation mark on top of his head and a speech bubble that says "a small barn is exactly what we need" periodically. Only asking because I'm starting to wonder what's the major next step. I don't have to blueprint for a kitchen yet.

Last edited:

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
When I talk to Clayton on the first Island, he still asks me if I built a barn yet even though I've had a fully functional one for a while now. He has a grey exclamation mark on top of his head. Only asking because I'm starting to wonder what's the major next step. I don't have to blueprint for a kitchen yet.
Is the barn the specific size he asked for

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I realized I should've kept going instead of thinking about finishing all of the Builderpedia rooms and crafting items in the game...

Ugh... the completionist in me is making me put off from the game. Don't be like me, and just go and enjoy the game.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

It's okay, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not even at finding Gold yet.

I'm curious though, when making the showers (I thought it was weird they asked for it by the Silver Bar, I made it by Babs' room, connecting the two like an actual plausible living quarters), has anyone had any luck combining toilets with showers? Not really related but, it sucks that they give you that one little wood toilet but there's no way to make any more. Seemed like a bad move.

Also, I made the mushroom cook room and thanks to advice earlier in the thread, I made a kitchen next to it with the casks and I've got my residents making meat and drinks, but is there any way to farm cactus or berries. I tried moving some cactus and berries on the vine into my mushroom cook room, but they don't do anything. Do I have to make a special unique room, is there other stuff required, or is it just not possible unless on the main island?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is all I've really played since it came out yet I only finished Chapter 2 yesterday.

That said, I think I'm starting to feel the burn out. I think I need to start treating this game like Animal Crossing and just put in a bit of time here and there between play sessions with other games.

Just bought Fire Emblem...

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever Malroth hears the voice that talks to him it takes FOREVER to advance the text. Switch version. Is that normal? It's incredibly annoying. I can read the 2 or 3 lines of text 30 times over before it finally clears out. Can't skip it...

Every time it happens I groan and think about going to make a sandwich.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Whenever Malroth hears the voice that talks to him it takes FOREVER to advance the text. Switch version. Is that normal? It's incredibly annoying. I can read the 2 or 3 lines of text 30 times over before it finally clears out. Can't skip it...

Its the worst thing about the game. They didn't program it properly or something.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017

It's truly bizarre. In any other game if I saw something like that I'd figure it was masking a loading screen. Maybe they dragged it out to make the player share Malroth's pain.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
Its the worst thing about the game. They didn't program it properly or something.
It's truly bizarre. In any other game if I saw something like that I'd figure it was masking a loading screen. Maybe they dragged it out to make the player share Malroth's pain.

I timed it, it seems to be 10 seconds per line of dialogue, which doesn't sound awful, but when there are 12 or so lines of dialogue... feels pretty long.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Found a clean version of the boxart without the logo and the dude Builder closeup. Thought it was cute so posting it here
hdXkNxk.jpg
Betweeen this cover and the intro it spoils more things than a jojo OP lol
It even tells you who is not
the traitor at the snow island and who is per elmination lol

Is that or actuallt a bizarre game design edition were they thought putting that slow text will make you hatr the character that does it as
be is the actual main villain, malroth's father, and he only appears at the end battle.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just started building stuff in the Green Gardens area of the Isle of Awakening, but monsters keep spawning in places that I would like to build rooms (mostly around the green board). Will that stop once I build rooms or do I have to do something specific so the monsters stop spawning around there?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So, I just started building stuff in the Green Gardens area of the Isle of Awakening, but monsters keep spawning in places that I would like to build rooms (mostly around the green board). Will that stop once I build rooms or do I have to do something specific so the monsters stop spawning around there?
That will stop eventually as you progress through the main story, and will explain how and why.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
So just reached
The Scare Force part in the third island and I'm tired of the armors just destroying everything and me having to rebuild. Is there a way to stop them? I'm currently building the throne room.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017

The monster hoards only spawn near you on IoA and they won't spawn in your buildings or fields. Things will change late game.

Last edited:

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
So just reached
The Scare Force part in the third island and I'm tired of the armors just destroying everything and me having to rebuild. Is there a way to stop them? I'm currently building the throne room.

They never got past the giant gate for me. Make sure all of the NPCs have the best swords and help them fight. Also don't worry about rebuilding everything since after the boss fights the NPCs will rebuild for you. You could also add a deep pit between the traps and the gate if you're really having trouble.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Just started puttin a focus on farming now that I am post-game. The only "bad" thing about irrigation between the rows is that it seems like less gratitude is being given. Not to mention that cutting out near half the amount of space from before has less crops to have gratitude given. I do like that the killing machine seems to work longer than the other people.

I made two double fields of wheat and strawberry. Now I've primed 7 more plots of land but not sure what I want to grow. Now the paddy stuff because I'm not set up for those and I have a different place that I'm thinking about putting them. Anyone have any recommendations on good food to grow or it doesn't matter? I'm mostly just trying to work to see the best options with fewer plots since I switched to irrigation rows. Any of you have preferred plant choices?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So just reached
Push forward, you get more perks that stops this from happening as you progress through the story.
And build more castle walls.