• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ooff yeah I'm starting to really feel the docked framerate drops on the second island. Handheld is still fine but it's weird because there's nothing happening.
Yeah it's so weird. I'm still only on the first chapter but usually undocked runs worse, not the other way around lol. Anytime I play docked to let it charge while I play I wonder why I didn't go ps4 but then I remember when I'm chilling out with undocked.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy doing my own tasks and finding stuff from exploration, just to find out later in conversation that I've already done something that was going to be asked of me anyways. Like getting tomato seeds before Perry even said anything about them. It did make what Malroth was saying a little weird lol

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm finally ready for the 3rd big island, just doing the resource charting islands first.

As for the part right before that...
I wanted to stab myself in the eyes during that entire Alcatraz-ish episode. Having all your building powers stripped that late in the game was beyond annoying / frustrating to me. I despise it when games give you choices you don't actually have a choice in - that soured that entire sequence by starting it off from a choice I didn't want to make.

Oct 28, 2017
Took me awhile to noticed:

Near the end of Chapter 1 when the sky turns pink, your farm slowly rots. Really pisses me off given all the work I put in beautifying the place before the festival.
It doesn't, you get alerts to the event happening which causes that. You can stop the silly pink things before they ruin everything. The fast travel makes it pretty easy, however I would like it if those alerts were easier to see and/or made more noise. Not a single square in my place got ruined before starting the next phase of the story even though I tend to meander and focus on side activities way too much.
Thank god they fixed the boss battle. Not only do they fixed the base after the boss nukes it, but the townspeople helps instead of you doing everything alone. Plus, no building gimmick devices to fight the boss.

That said, do the tree really needs to become a water fall? Ruined the layout I had.
I dug a 1 square ditch all around the area where the water was falling to contain it. You can also just remove the water after you finish the quest that requires it. Just in case you ever go back there.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It doesn't, you get alerts to the event happening which causes that. You can stop the silly pink things before they ruin everything. The fast travel makes it pretty easy, however I would like it if those alerts were easier to see and/or made more noise. Not a single square in my place got ruined before starting the next phase of the story even though I tend to meander and focus on side activities way too much.

I dug a 1 square ditch all around the area where the water was falling to contain it. You can also just remove the water after you finish the quest that requires it. Just in case you ever go back there.

At the end part of Chapter 1, the sky is alway pink and it seems your farm slowly rots since the rots murdered my tomato patches and I had no more seeds. Seriously, why were they so stingy with cabbage and tomato seeds.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible to do the Tablet Targets while playing online? Looking to knock them out with my brother but I can't access the tablet online.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the whole mining town island. That ending was actually pretty good compared to the rest of the story there.

I hope i didnt miss any medals, have all the surface scouted but i hated the way the mining maps worked charting square by square instead of area.
I got some there but i dont know if there were all or something was really hidden beside a set of walls.

And i absolutely hate the flute. Hate how it works, hated how you need to use it... bring the dog back!

I actually pretty proud of the mining town i made, full of small streets with fountains and build in different levels.

Now starts the terraforming my home island.

Oct 28, 2017
At the end part of Chapter 1, the sky is alway pink and it seems your farm slowly rots since the rots murdered my tomato patches and I had no more seeds. Seriously, why were they so stingy with cabbage and tomato seeds.
The event with the spore things happens frequently during that part. As far as I could tell there was no natural "rotting", but those spores would spawn a lot, even if you were far away from town. If the patches of your land were obliterated in a diamond shaped pattern, it was the spores.

Killing some things gave me more Cabbage and Tomato seeds. Orcs for Cabbage seeds. Orc King drops Tomato seeds but that may be later because the one in Furrowfield dropped an Yggdrasil Leaf if I recall correctly. Also, after you finish the first island, make sure to do the side islands a couple of times to stock up on materials and seeds.

I'm on the second mission on the second island, still plugging away at it. Just some vague impressions below.

Guides are starting to go up too, which is helpful to me when I get stuck on a shrine puzzle, which isn't really getting stuck so much as me erroneously thinking they want me to do something near the puzzle area but it is actually a bit away from the reward tablet.

I'm kind of disappointed with the second island's (gross, sexist, abusive) initial dialogue putting so many people off of reading the text during this island because there's a bit of other stuff going on there, credit to the localization team for including some casual LGBTQ representation, AKA the dialogue stuff I live for. I only know a handful of Japanese, but I bet these things were framed much "jokier" in the Japanese language release just based on experience with other games.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I finished the mining town and am at the isle of awakening part inbetween the next main island story. I need some coralilly seeds but dont have any, I assume these are on one of the optional islands?

I am enjoying the game so far, but im not really a fan of the isle of awakening segments so far, also the mining town has taught me to never put my stuff in chests in the town any more. the blacksmith kept using up all my materials crafting junk.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike in the first game, there's no good reason to ever use chests for other than provide NPCs with materials or food. The space in your bag is virtually infinite.

Speaking of the bag, pro tip: You can instantly send stuff to your bag by selecting it on your inventory and pressing down on the D pad. Pressing up opens the bag menu as well and pressing Y (I'm guessing Square on PS4) while selecting something on your bag will send it to your inventory.

mothball

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unlike in the first game, there's no good reason to ever use chests for other than provide NPCs with materials or food. The space in your bag is virtually infinite.

Speaking of the bag, pro tip: You can instantly send stuff to your bag by selecting it on your inventory and pressing down on the D pad. Pressing up opens the bag menu as well and pressing Y (I'm guessing Square on PS4) while selecting something on your bag will send it to your inventory.
Triangle. Since they swapped X and O for the Western version, they also swapped Square and Triangle so you can still keep your thumb on the jump and attack buttons at the same time.

It feels really, really weird after playing the Japanese version and I'm still not used to it.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017

I filled up my bag finishing up trophies and the Tablet Targets.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how to use the hexagonal planter? Description says it can hold flowers but can't click on it after placing down. Also can't put seed in it

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I am not very far into the game yet compared to other folks on this page, so I'm probably not gonna be in this thread much, but this might be my favorite game this year

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey

Speaking of the bag, pro tip: You can instantly send stuff to your bag by selecting it on your inventory and pressing down on the D pad. Pressing up opens the bag menu as well.

By far my favorite feature added to Builders 2. When I first discovered it, I got so excited that I probably scared my GF.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks feel super silly for missing that one. Btw can you eventually get your villagers to help you with any blueprint? Thought I remember them saying as long as mats are in a chest they will help build
For the story-related blueprints, at least, they're always explicit about whether or not they'll help you. I haven't tried using blueprints outside of the required ones so I'm not sure about that.

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
So I talked to the King and he said this: "This world is no longer a mere illusion! But it seems our realm differs somewhat from the place they call the 'real world'... But something tells me there may yet be some means of linking this world to other lands and other times..."

Sounds interesting. Sequel hints?
Malroth also has a few lines about that randomly when you're on the Isle of Awakening, he says that you can
that you could return to the real world if you want, though maybe its a stealth joke about the fact that you should take a break from the game....

He also says he'd like to see the Builder's hometown, Cantlin. I think these quotes are rareish or something, it took a few times talking to him to get him to say these, but I'm unlucky.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The event with the spore things happens frequently during that part. As far as I could tell there was no natural "rotting", but those spores would spawn a lot, even if you were far away from town. If the patches of your land were obliterated in a diamond shaped pattern, it was the spores.

Killing some things gave me more Cabbage and Tomato seeds. Orcs for Cabbage seeds. Orc King drops Tomato seeds but that may be later because the one in Furrowfield dropped an Yggdrasil Leaf if I recall correctly. Also, after you finish the first island, make sure to do the side islands a couple of times to stock up on materials and seeds.

I'm on the second mission on the second island, still plugging away at it. Just some vague impressions below.

Guides are starting to go up too, which is helpful to me when I get stuck on a shrine puzzle, which isn't really getting stuck so much as me erroneously thinking they want me to do something near the puzzle area but it is actually a bit away from the reward tablet.

I'm kind of disappointed with the second island's (gross, sexist, abusive) initial dialogue putting so many people off of reading the text during this island because there's a bit of other stuff going on there, credit to the localization team for including some casual LGBTQ representation, AKA the dialogue stuff I live for. I only know a handful of Japanese, but I bet these things were framed much "jokier" in the Japanese language release just based on experience with other games.

Side islands?

Oct 2, 2018
POST GAME:

with a game with a bazillion pieces of kit, I think its almost impossible to build those other rooms without resorting to a guide.

I'm finally ready for the 3rd big island, just doing the resource charting islands first.

As for the part right before that...
I wanted to stab myself in the eyes during that entire Alcatraz-ish episode. Having all your building powers stripped that late in the game was beyond annoying / frustrating to me. I despise it when games give you choices you don't actually have a choice in - that soured that entire sequence by starting it off from a choice I didn't want to make.

I liked it a lot. It was all about the story at the time and I think it did it well. A nice change of pace.

and I do wish that
the game lets you go and rescue them all once the game is finished.

Oct 2, 2018
Really enjoying the game, but it unfortunately kind of runs like ass on Switch in docked mode.

Also, do buildings ever get roofs? It's strange to me that the rooms you build are still technically exposed to the elements.

The game is set up to make old school Dragon Quest buildings, which didn't have roofs

dragon_quest_iv_town.png

You eventually unlock roof tiles, though, if you want to use them.

I much prefer no roof as you the 3D engine and the way the game works, means you can still see everything. Having a roof would be a nightmare as you cant see in.

Oct 2, 2018
I enjoy doing my own tasks and finding stuff from exploration, just to find out later in conversation that I've already done something that was going to be asked of me anyways. Like getting tomato seeds before Perry even said anything about them. It did make what Malroth was saying a little weird lol

I broke the game so much with exploration: that island 3 with this quest to discover an area - you still have to fight through a cave: except I've already discovered the place you're meant to get to and even activated the teleport point.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
So I'm trying to build a small barn on the main island but the game won't register it. The manual in the shows that it's 23% built with a pot and a chest. Is the game registering some other simple shed I made and won't accept any new barn until I complete that one or what?

Oct 2, 2018
So I'm trying to build a small barn on the main island but the game won't register it. The manual in the shows that it's 23% built with a pot and a chest. Is the game registering some other simple shed I made and won't accept any new barn until I complete that one or what?

barn. has like:

light
firewood
pot
chest
haystack?
farming tools

might just be best to google room recipes.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I liked that your own island is part of the story, and is fact the reason why you're going to different islands In the first game, your private playground was literally disconnected from everything and the people you had moved in were generic, unlike the people you met in the main game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Thanks for the advise on digging the tunnel. Went back to fixed some stuff up since I left in a hurry (had to finished before my niece came over). Also found an orc that drops sugar seeds and tomatoes. Have yet to find anyone who drops pumpkin seeds, however.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Just a short PSA regarding enemy raids on your town:

As far as I can tell, all attacks, incl. those pesky ghosts at nights, stop the very moment your citizens get ready for a big fight. This is especially useful in a certain chapter. You'll know which one when you get there.

Knowing this, you'll be able to commit to some crafting or building without annoying interruptions and since time ticks on, plants like med leafs keep growing. Nice, if you're low on health items before a big enemy assault.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
So a funny question. Once you leave your home island for the 3rd time and arrive to
the prison scape chapter
how is the dirty magazine that the enemies find called in english?
In spanish is "Muslos y Pechugas" (play with sounding like a meat magazine, but they can be a play of words of a funny way to talk about women's legs and boobs also), and made me laugh my ass off.
I know the spanish localization is crazy and im wonder if the english one is similar. All the names are plays of words and jokes, and some townsfolk speak with different spanish accents like andalusian, murcian, galician... also babs mannerisms are like a spanish chav girl lol

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why villagers can get in the inn's 2nd floor to sleep but can't get out. I'm currently stuck with half my villagers trapped in the second floor of my inn and they refuse to get out. I had to build up on top of my already existing inn so I could have beds for the eight villagers who suddenly came but either there's something I'm missing or the villagers are as dumb as in the first game (and it's be a serious major flaw for the game). Could someone help me ? They refuse to use the ladder to get down.

D_1oKmoUcAIxzw5.jpg

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't want to developed my main island too much until I got everything like the first game. So I will just do a quick setup so my NPCs won't starved and crap everywhere while I'm gone to the next chapter.

.................Five hours later. I swear I've leave once I'm done farming.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
For as dumb as half the story was in the second island, it had a pretty cute ending and the gimmick with the boss was fun. I could have explored through those tunnels all day though, felt like I kept discovering new things (some which I obviously was not supposed to find as early as I did, but oh well, it made progressing through the storyline faster.

I found gold and both dyes way before I was supposed to lol.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I don't understand why villagers can get in the inn's 2nd floor to sleep but can't get out. I'm currently stuck with half my villagers trapped in the second floor of my inn and they refuse to get out. I had to build up on top of my already existing inn so I could have beds for the eight villagers who suddenly came but either there's something I'm missing or the villagers are as dumb as in the first game (and it's be a serious major flaw for the game). Could someone help me ? They refuse to use the ladder to get down.

D_1oKmoUcAIxzw5.jpg
Would adding a door (at the 2nd floor) and stairs that goes outside can fix it?

Oct 28, 2017

D_1oKmoUcAIxzw5.jpg
Try removing the ladder that goes up the wall in the room. You only need the one that's level with the floor. I do see a problem with how your ladder is positioned as well. You want it to end so that there's a floor tile to the next floor as the tile the ladder "ends" on, not a wall tile. You don't want to have to jump to get off the ladder. I don't really know how to explain that better, sorry.

Note that I haven't really messed with ladders + NPCs, these are just based on observing how the player character works on ladders, but sauce that's good for the goose and all.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try removing the ladder that goes up the wall in the room. You only need the one that's level with the floor. I do see a problem with how your ladder is positioned as well. You want it to end so that there's a floor tile to the next floor as the tile the ladder "ends" on, not a wall tile. You don't want to have to jump to get off the ladder. I don't really know how to explain that better, sorry.

Note that I haven't really messed with ladders + NPCs, these are just based on observing how the player character works on ladders, but sauce that's good for the goose and all.

Oh I get exactly what you're saying. I did find it odd that I had to jump to get out of the ladder but didn't know how to change it.
I'll try and see how it works that way.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lmao I did the same thing! Both the pumpkin seeds and tomato seeds. And then when the side quests for them unlocked, got even more seeds.