• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Random question: is the overworld theme from the first game (the DQ1 remix) still in this game?

Does this have classic themes from DQB1?

Most of the music in this one is "new". So far Isle of Awakening and the first island have used Inviting Village and Through the Fields from DQ6, and the second island I just got to plays Torneko's theme from DQ4. That said I did craft an item that lets you play alternate music and it seems you can make new sheet music for it, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other overworld themes make an appearance that way.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Most of the music in this one is "new". So far Isle of Awakening and the first island have used Inviting Village and Through the Fields from DQ6, and the second island I just got to plays Torneko's theme from DQ4. That said I did craft an item that lets you play alternate music and it seems you can make new sheet music for it, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other overworld themes make an appearance that way.

I really wish they have the classic Dragon Quest 1 overworld theme. So relaxing. (just pretend we forget who composed it)

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
It's wonderful, and I'm surprised at how much they've improved or added over the first one. Hope to see them continue to build this series in the years to come because there's really nothing else like it.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I kind of don't understand where this game came from and why it's so good. Like the outline of the narrative sounds like some functional jrpg parody a la rune factory but it takes the script weirdly seriously, walking the perfect line between the actual hardship of the lives people live in this world and the flagship quirkiness of the dragon quest franchis--mixed with the inherent weirdness of the builder mechanics--and it just totally works??

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I remember playing the demo for the first game and really enjoying it but wanting to hold off until the sequel was out. I played the demo for 2 and it seems great. I plan on picking it up once I work my way through a few more games in my backlog. Just need to decide if I want it on Switch or PS4.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I will say the most obvious mistake they made is that the font size is too small. DQB2 has no problem using sub 10pt fonts for localization reasons, and it's an accessibility disaster.There's a reason why the the UX community is pushing for 28px+ on everything, and this game may end up as an example of what happens when you don't.
Preach. This is the reason I went PS4 instead of Switch for the game (well, framerate too). I'm at the age where small fonts are just not cutting it, and I've already been seeing a not-great pattern of games using sub-optimal fonts for small screens on Switch titles; undocked, I don't know if I could play this, and I didn't want to be tempted.

Still a really fun game despite its quirks.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
so I caved and bought it, loaded up my demo save and.... I guess I have to do the first island again? kind of disappointing, I thought it would resume from where the demo left off. at least it skips the ship, and I guess I could use a reminder of the basics. Gonna try to speed through it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how many hours ive been playing becuase of the fucking Switch thing of waiting some days to tell you the number, but ive been playing 3 days nearly non stop.

Its like fucking crack.
As someone who played a ton of minecraft at the beginning for the creativity but never had too much fun with the survival stuff, this is minecraft done right by 200%
I actually care for everything im making now.
Also it shits all over Animal Crossing with the villagers stuff and decorating your town.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped a bit the building of the Awakening Isle after the first main island since there's a lot of blocks you can't break until you upgrade your hammer in the second main island, but once I have it I'm never leaving the HUB again.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
People who read this thread, you all need to see how townfolks interact with each other in a normal full-day cycle.

Different towns have different NPC interactions. They even go down in a brawlfest and fight against each other while the bystanders watch, and at the end, all NPCs compliment each other, or gets a KO.

Sol and Luz (in the spanish version, the two cooking girls in the first island) had always some dialog when they woke up that was perfect for both of their characters.

Also may I congratulate the spanish localization team for calling the Cleric friend/enemy in the first island "Hermano Herminio José"? I was laughing my ass off lol

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a mini list of sorts over what makes this better than the first game?

I got it on PS4 but never finished it. Is it still worth going through it all or is the sequel that much better?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So what's the game like from an exploration standpoint? Can you dig away at walls and the ground and discover caves and stuff like this which Minecraft offers, or is there not much of that? I really enjoyed that game because I could simply go wherever and just start finding stuff wherever and digging into huge chambers, etc. Sure most of them didn't have much within but it was still very appealing.

Is this a more linear type of game where everyone is seeing the same map layouts etc or is there randomness involved with how the world is shaped? I've played the demo a bit on Switch and love what I see so far but this one thing is what I'm not sure of which is what would make or break it for me I think.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
So what's the game like from an exploration standpoint? Can you dig away at walls and the ground and discover caves and stuff like this which Minecraft offers, or is there not much of that? I really enjoyed that game because I could simply go wherever and just start finding stuff wherever and digging into huge chambers, etc. Sure most of them didn't have much within but it was still very appealing.

Is this a more linear type of game where everyone is seeing the same map layouts etc or is there randomness involved with how the world is shaped? I've played the demo a bit on Switch and love what I see so far but this one thing is what I'm not sure of which is what would make or break it for me I think.
There are certainly lots of secrets everywhere. But the world is not randomized so things generally make sense and caves have accessible openings that you can find. You don't get a lot from digging into a mountain like that, better to go around it and find entrances.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I'm playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 on the Switch (it's also on PS4). I picked it up after playing the free demo. And I must say, this game is FANTASTIC!

I nearly missed it, too — I wasn't on the hype train until it was leaving the station. But Builders 2 is an incredible experience, and I'm going to try and break down why.

First, you should know that I'm not a Minecraft fan. Yet I love this game! That's because this game ISN'T a Minecraft clone.

Builders 2 is, in fact, a tightly structured and story-driven JRPG — one stuffed with characters and quests, loops and loot, and real-time battles where your allies follow you in the field, whacking baddies and leveling up. But what sets it apart from other JRPGs is your ability to build stuff. This is the connective tissue that allows for a degree of creativity and flexibility as to how you approach situations.

With your mallet, you whack and crack blocks — demolishing them in confetti bursts of debris (punctuated by a pang of rumble) and collapsing them into candy-coated icons that fly onto your toolbar at the bottom of the screen with a satisfying rat-a-tat-tat. And whacking a structure like a door, fence or table doesn't reduce it to material — rather, the item returns to your inventory, so there's no need to re-craft it.

You can pack away these icons in a bottomless bag (acquired early on) by simply scrolling to them on the toolbar and tapping Down on the D-Pad. Alternatively, you can call them up by selecting an open slot and tapping Up to open your inventory. It's quick and easy!

Similarly satisfying is the act of plopping blocks into place or positioning fixtures and pieces of furniture. You can toggle between third-person and first-person views with a click of the right stick, and in first-person view you place things where your cursor is aiming, even if you're far away. Its position and placement is outlined in bright orange, so there's no ambiguity as to what goes where. Everything snaps together with a stickiness that is tight and precise.

But again, this is NOT Minecraft. It is a proper JRPG, one that is highly scripted and dialogue-heavy. The writing is endearing — funny and full of sensory details, so that you know what a town smells like, or how the food tastes.

Everything is FOCUSED. You always have an objective to follow, clearly marked on your compass and map. There are characters with lively personalities, backstories and arcs where they change and grow. There is history and lore to the world — a world where the very act of creation itself has been forbidden by cultists worshipping a god of destruction.

You see, you start out on a slave ship manned by a literal skeleton crew. This is the game's tutorial and first half of the demo. Then you're shipwrecked on a barren island (which is where you resume the full game if you keep your save data from the demo — no need to repeat the tutorial). This island is an open-ended sandbox to which you'll return with residents and resources, building it up to your heart's content. It's also a multiplayer hub for up to four players, local and online; you can even record blueprints of each other's structures for easy reproduction in your own game. But this island is largely optional.

The critical path follows several OTHER islands — each rich in resources, with its own climate, its own town to develop, and its own story and cast of characters. And it's here where the JRPG framework comes into play. You nearly always have one (or several tasks) to follow; you're never left to amble aimlessly. You know where to go from your map and compass, and the mechanics make it fun getting there.

For example, you have a stamina-based dash, and later a cape that functions like a paraglider — both clearly inspired by Breath of the Wild. In another nod to that game, there are environmental puzzles peppered throughout the world, reminiscent of Korok seeds, so there's a continual sense of discovery if you keep your eyes peeled. For example, you might see some ruins with an empty pool, and a brook dammed up by a single stone. Demolish it to fill the pool, and you'll receive a prize.

You also activate fast-travel points that you can warp between freely without penalty. On the Switch version, there's a minute-long load upon first booting the game, but after that, load times are short (and accompanied by snapshots taken by other players), even when you're warping between distant points on the top-down map. So you can quickly reach faraway places — and here you'll meet new characters, learn new mechanics and more.

You can outfit yourself and your allies with crafted weapons and armor. They help you retrieve materials and fight enemies. Unlike BotW, your tools and weapons are indestructible. As you battle — whether out in the field, or fending off the occasional wave attacking your base — you level up, increasing your health and stamina. As you level up, you learn new recipes — items you can build with the right materials. And as you fulfill requests, you will also learn recipes for new features in town, such as rooms with specific purposes for the NPCs (i.e. a bedroom, barn, bathhouse, outhouse, kitchen, etc).

As you do this, your townspeople go about their daily routines, breathing life into town. The villagers will eat breakfast and dinner if you fill a chest with harvested crops and provide them with tables, stools and supperware. They will sleep at night in the bedding you provide them. They will till the land and water crops in the fields you restore with the help of a giant earthworm. They will line up to use the outhouse and leave "night soil" for you to collect from the toilets. They will patrol the pathways and guard the farm.

And no matter what they do, the villagers drop "hearts of gratitude" for you to pick up. The hearts are how you level up your base, ringing the town's bell when you fill the meter. Leveling up your base helps advance the story, and also rewards you with a bounty of new recipes and skills for the townsfolk, further streamlining the busywork of running a farm. You also attract new residents to town whenever you level up the base, which means more helping hands.

I find myself grinning each time I level up the base. It's adorable watching the chibi-style townsfolk pump their lil' fists in the air while going "Haha! Yay! Haha! Yay!" This game is incredibly charming. And while it's continuously introducing new ideas and new gameplay, it's never overwhelming, and I find myself eagerly engaging with each new item and option. The many interlocking systems are intuitive to follow, and multiplicative in how they enhance one another.

And the atmosphere... *chef's kiss* There's nothing cozier in games than wandering the lush gardens of your town at night, the torches burning brightly (even in the rain) while your townsfolk sleep soundly in their beds. There's a sense of wonder to the world as you climb to a high point (or build one yourself!) and survey the vast draw distance of the world around you.

I've seen footage of slowdown on Switch, but so far I haven't encountered much — and when I have (after setting up hundreds of light sources on my farm), it's still perfectly playable. Personally, I find Builders 2 utterly absorbing on a handheld, even if it drains the battery at a comparable rate to BotW (within 2-3 hours). But you can't go wrong playing either version.

There's so much to say, but I think I'll end it there. It's been awhile since a game has gotten its hooks into my mind like this. It killed my productivity this weekend when I was planning to get ahead on my stories for work. Instead I was up all night until six in the morning, scurrying around my town, slapping sconces on the walls and setting up fences, trying to make the place feel just a bit more like home. :-3
Agreed. It's seriously fantastic

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
There are certainly lots of secrets everywhere. But the world is not randomized so things generally make sense and caves have accessible openings that you can find. You don't get a lot from digging into a mountain like that, better to go around it and find entrances.
Okay well about the secrets, are they both in the open world and then within dungeon type areas and caves, etc? I guess more than anything that's the stuff I loved about Minecraft. When I watch people play on Twitch, I mostly see them outside on the top layer of the game world doing building stuff which looks like fun, but I also want that exploration and some type of spelunking, even if it's not random but has that same discovery feeling while going into the unknown while also creating that somewhat anxiety as you don't know what lies ahead.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So is the Switch slowdown not really a problem?
I have seen clips of slowdown in super high geometry/high draw distance areas. But in my experience actually playing the Switch version, it's been smooth nearly the entire time. I mentioned in the OP that I experienced a slight FPS reduction when I set up hundreds of points of illumination in my village. Well, interesting enough, I have since then set up like twice as many lights, and yet the framerate seems... fine? Honestly, I wouldn't let this dissuade you from the Switch version. It's quality stuff.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen clips of slowdown in super high geometry/high draw distance areas. But in my experience actually playing the Switch version, it's been smooth nearly the entire time. I mentioned in the OP that I experienced a slight FPS reduction when I set up hundreds of points of illumination in my village. Well, interesting enough, I have since then set up like twice as many lights, and yet the framerate seems... fine? Honestly, I wouldn't let this dissuade you from the Switch version. It's quality stuff.
thanks.

Just waiting for next month to get my tickets and get both that and Fire Emblem.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It is mind boggling how good it's balanced. I didn't expected it to be such a fantastic and kinda perfect game. To be honest, I didn't even understood the appeal of it, at all, before the release and then I just bought and played it and found out it's everything I ever wanted.

As a survival genre, Harvest Moon and Minecraft fan I can't process how freaking perfect it satisfies every expectation and beyond.

It's so detailed in all its mechanics and very often you don't expect it to be that detailed when it comes to rooms and how they work, NPC mechanics or just single items where you think "man, they thought about that? Feels more like a fan would have the idea and mod that in, but no, it's standard in the main game, holy shit".

And when it comes to the story part, holy shit, the first island alone could be the whole game and I would have been happy with it. It's so charming how you build up this village and learns how the game works and then how it ends with everyone working together on something, that was such a great moment.

But the game continues and continues to Blow your mind with new mechanics and ideas, first how it wants you to create nature on your own island before you even start to build there and right before you go to the second big story island, you think "How can it not repeat itself now and just do what the first island did?" And then, it freaking don't, it introduces completely new mechanics and ideas again and feels completely different in what you do from here on.

It's making me speechless.

I never expected it to be this fantastic, innovative and fulfilling, but it is, out of nowhere, with so much love and passion and just thought through on every little corner and I didn't knew games like these still exist in 2019 and I'm just smiling like a little kid in my 30s while playing this incredible gem. :)
Just wanted to say this is a lovely post. :-)

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this post has put this game on my radar. Is it remotely like Dark Cloud 1/2? Those games blended good rpg gameplay with city building and I've been yearning for something similar for the past decade.

DQBuilders 1 and 2 are as close to Dark Cloud 1 and 2 as we're going to get. DQBuilders is a mix of Zelda, Minecraft, Dark Cloud, in a Dragon Quest overtone, and they're both "sleeper gems of the gen" to me.

synthplynth

Oct 29, 2017
Been playing it a lot this weekend, and while it's great at times, most of the time it doesn't respect the player's time or intelligence at all. Worst of all, this isn't something like Minecraft where an issue I have with the game will probably get fixed later down the road. This isn't gonna get updated, and a lot of the problems I have with the game are just things I'm going to have to deal with. [...]

Thanks for this! So it basically is the same mixed ball of wax as the first game. Definitely a drag they did not fix combat which was a tedious disaster in the first iteration.

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This game has been such a pleasant surprise for me through and through. I went in almost entirely blind with the exception of having downloaded the demo.

After playing the demo, I was totally sold on the 'list of chores' manner it tasks you with things. While I do have some gripes about quest management, the game is really good at guiding you in a certain direction and hiding secrets from you in plain view. I feel like the game logically opens itself up and is never overwhelming, which is usually the feeling I get in open-world open-ended games like Skyrim or Minecraft. I also love the villager management and farming aspects the game has. All of these systems are fun and intuituve. The only system that feels out of place is Hunger, as it feels directly ripped from Minecraft, but I understand how it can be used to drive a player into building farms/cooking.

I would recommend anyone playing to also take a look at the controls, as you'll find there are some secrets in there that make it much easier to place blocks (L + ZL are your friend!).

Very impressed so far, and have just finished up the first island. Looking forward to seeing what is more.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think depending on the money I have left over, I will splurges on one more voucher. It's good a year and I save a little money in the long run. It feels weird since I usually don't spend this much on games in a year and I have a gift card I've been saving.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Oh man, I wanted to finish a couple of my games first (Hollow Knight and Crypt of the Necrodancer, but I have the game ready to go and you make me want to start it so bad!

it's not on PC

*skip*
CnMnEhqUEAE0ONl.jpg:large

"Hey there's a PC gamer! A PC gamer is here! Oh no! He's going to remind us how superior his experience is!"

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i just did a review of Dragon Quest Builders 2 on YouTube last night. Id post it here, but pretty sure that is against the rules lol It surprised me on how much I liked it, and it is super addicting. Its got so much meshed into one complete package. It has Minecraft building, Animal Crossing life-sim, Zelda like exploration, wrapped into a nice JRPG package. So yeah, im with you OP. Its not Minecraft, but I enjoyed it way more than I do minecraft.

Its a super long game too. The first chapter alone took me 12 hours. Luckily it was fun though, and the story is interesting with charming characters. I think the one downfall it has is the combat, but everything else is just so good.

I hope it does well, because it deserves it. Its interesting though, because two of my favorite games this year has been a complete surprise to me. Dragon Quest Builders 2, and Outer Wilds.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the simple combat system. Yeah it's barebones — it's not Bayonetta 2, lol — but I still get a certain thrill scampering in and out of the fray, beating up baddies with my spiky club. I think the "thwacking" sound, nimble movement and bright health bars add to the sense of feedback. It's fun seeing enemies melt between the combo of me and Malroth.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the game is selling best on the Switch so far, with nearly 70% of copies on that platform in the UK, and that's not even counting digital copies, where the Switch count is likely even higher since it's part of the voucher program:

As Jonneh notes in the video, it's especially interesting since the advertisements for the game only mention the PS4 version (despite Nintendo publishing the Switch version).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Seems like the game is selling best on the Switch so far, with nearly 70% of copies on that platform in the UK, and that's not even counting digital copies, where the Switch count is likely even higher since it's part of the voucher program:

As Jonneh notes in the video, it's especially interesting since the advertisements for the game only mention the PS4 version (despite Nintendo publishing the Switch version).

Not surprised since Nintendo pushed this game in their Direct and even E3 along with DQ11. That and Nintendo in general nurtured DQ in the West (doing translations for most of the games) before Square went weird.

That and since Nintendo published in the West, you can buy with the voucher.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That thread title is how I feel about Outer Wilds... but I will give this DQB2 a try too. :)

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Okay well about the secrets, are they both in the open world and then within dungeon type areas and caves, etc? I guess more than anything that's the stuff I loved about Minecraft. When I watch people play on Twitch, I mostly see them outside on the top layer of the game world doing building stuff which looks like fun, but I also want that exploration and some type of spelunking, even if it's not random but has that same discovery feeling while going into the unknown while also creating that somewhat anxiety as you don't know what lies ahead.
I read my comment and I think I phrased things in a way that made it sound like randomized dungeons and digging through mountains wasn't good - not at all that is my favorite thing about Minecraft.

Builders is a bit different in that it doesn't put as much emphasis on dungeons as those are usually pretty short, although I'm still on the first island so I'm speaking from my experience with the original.

I would say it doesn't scratch that particular itch of hidden caves and suspense, it's a more relaxing experience that focuses on building up your town, and theres a lot of little exploration elements scattered throughout the world but in shorter and safer bursts.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
How good is respect to the first game? I loved the first game, but having to start from zero in every chapter just killed my interest in it.
I have some vouchers left, so I'm tempted in buy it, but I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I read my comment and I think I phrased things in a way that made it sound like randomized dungeons and digging through mountains wasn't good - not at all that is my favorite thing about Minecraft.

Builders is a bit different in that it doesn't put as much emphasis on dungeons as those are usually pretty short, although I'm still on the first island so I'm speaking from my experience with the original.

I would say it doesn't scratch that particular itch of hidden caves and suspense, it's a more relaxing experience that focuses on building up your town, and theres a lot of little exploration elements scattered throughout the world but in shorter and safer bursts.
Cool. I've definitely seen and read enough to see that I think I'd really enjoy the game. Appreciate the follow-up response.

Now it's time to decide to either buy on Amazon for the physical price which would be like $6 cheaper after tax or just buy it online. Prob just go digital and get the points towards a future game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I caved....got the game on my second voucher. Now I have only one more game left to redeem. I don't regret it after playing the demo and my love for the first game. I can also wait to play Fire Emblem (which I have preloaded) since I tend to used guides for those of games. Now the only question is what will I get between Astral Chain and DxM..... First world problems.

Oct 2, 2018
I actually like the simple combat system. Yeah it's barebones — it's not Bayonetta 2, lol — but I still get a certain thrill scampering in and out of the fray, beating up baddies with my spiky club. I think the "thwacking" sound, nimble movement and bright health bars add to the sense of feedback. It's fun seeing enemies melt between the combo of me and Malroth.

The combat is very basic but it works as its not the focus. Imagine having to fight heaps constantly.

on the boss fights : I'll use blocks and ladders and climb up to square 4 up in the sky and let malroth+my villagers kill them all. LOL.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Though that's because Nintendo published the Switch version and they've been pushing it since E3...even more than Square and the PS4 version.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Glad it's good, but long Jrpgs are not my thing anymore, maybe i'll give DQXI a chance on Switch

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Glad it's good, but long Jrpgs are not my thing anymore, maybe i'll give DQXI a chance on Switch
Honestly, this is a game you that I think you'l love just exploring the world and building up your towns at your own leisure. Sure, there's a story with plentiful quests, but you're able to take it at your own pace. For every hour that I have spent questing, I've spent many more just soaking in the sights and sounds of my ever-evolving town. The gameplay is approachable, forgiving, flexible and fun. The atmosphere is soothing, too. It's one of those rare games that just makes me happy. :-)

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017

I also think the game runs fine and smooth. I think that only those extremely sensitive to framerate drops are the only ones who won't enjoy the Switch version.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I also think the game runs fine and smooth. I think that only those extremely sensitive to framerate drops are the only ones who won't enjoy the Switch version.
To be honest, I'm not too sensitive to frame rate (don't even understand what frame pacing is) but since I have built some pretty imposing towns the game is chugging a bit - especially in docked mode.

I'm still happy with playing on switch due to portability but when I compare to my boyfriend's PS4 the switch version has some drawbacks.