• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 on the Switch (it's also on PS4). I picked it up after playing the free demo. And I must say, this game is FANTASTIC!

I nearly missed it, too — I wasn't on the hype train until it was leaving the station. But Builders 2 is an incredible experience, and I'm going to try and break down why.

First, you should know that I'm not a Minecraft fan. Yet I love this game! That's because this game ISN'T a Minecraft clone.

Builders 2 is, in fact, a tightly structured and story-driven JRPG — one stuffed with characters and quests, loops and loot, and real-time battles where your allies follow you in the field, whacking baddies and leveling up. But what sets it apart from other JRPGs is your ability to build stuff. This is the connective tissue that allows for a degree of creativity and flexibility in approaching situations.

With your mallet, you whack and crack blocks — demolishing them in confetti bursts of debris (punctuated by a pang of rumble) and collapsing them into candy-coated icons that fly onto your toolbar at the bottom of the screen with a satisfying rat-a-tat-tat. And whacking a structure like a door, fence or table doesn't reduce it to rubble — rather, the item returns to your inventory, so there's no need to re-craft it.

You can pack away these icons in a bottomless bag (acquired early on) by simply scrolling to them on the toolbar and tapping Down on the D-Pad. Alternatively, you can call them up by selecting an open slot and tapping Up to open your inventory. It's quick and easy!

Similarly satisfying is the act of plopping blocks into place or positioning fixtures and pieces of furniture. You can toggle between third- and first-person views with a click of the right stick, and in first-person view you place things where your cursor is aiming, even when far away. Its position and placement is outlined in bright orange, so there's no ambiguity as to what goes where. Everything snaps together with a stickiness that is tight and precise.

2019072004113600-ba0143ko6.jpg

But again, this is NOT Minecraft. It is a proper JRPG, one that is highly scripted and dialogue-heavy. The writing is endearing — funny and full of sensory details, so that you know what a town smells like, or how the food tastes.

Everything is FOCUSED. You always have an objective to follow, clearly marked on your compass and map. There are characters with lively personalities, backstories and arcs where they change and grow. There is history and lore to the world — a world where the very act of creation itself has been forbidden by cultists worshipping a god of destruction.

You see, you start out on a slave ship manned by a literal skeleton crew. This is the game's tutorial and first half of the demo. Then you're shipwrecked on a barren island (which is where you resume the full game if you keep your save data from the demo — no need to repeat the tutorial). This island is an open-ended sandbox to which you'll return with residents and resources, building it up to your heart's content. It's also a multiplayer hub for up to four players, local and online; you can even record blueprints of each other's structures for easy reproduction in your own game. But this island is largely optional.

2019072004112400-ba018hkhx.jpg

The critical path follows several OTHER islands — each rich in resources, with its own climate, its own town to develop, and its own story and cast of characters. And it's here where the JRPG framework comes into play. You nearly always have one (or several tasks) to follow; you're never left to amble aimlessly. You know where to go from your map and compass, and the mechanics make it fun getting there.

For example, you have a stamina-based dash, and later a cape that functions like a paraglider — both clearly inspired by Breath of the Wild. In another nod to that game, there are environmental puzzles peppered throughout the world, reminiscent of Korok seeds, so there's a continual sense of discovery if you keep your eyes peeled. For example, you might see some ruins with an empty pool, and a brook dammed up by a single stone. Demolish it to fill the pool, and you'll receive a prize.

You also activate fast-travel points that you can warp between freely without penalty. On the Switch version, there's a minute-long load upon first booting the game, but after that, load times are short (and accompanied by snapshots taken by other players), even when you're warping between distant points on the top-down map. So you can quickly reach faraway places — and here you'll meet new characters, learn new mechanics and more.

You can outfit yourself and your allies with crafted weapons and armor. They help you retrieve materials and fight enemies. Unlike BotW, your tools and weapons are indestructible. As you battle — whether out in the field, or fending off the occasional wave attacking your base — you level up, increasing your health and stamina. As you level up, you learn new recipes — items you can build with the right materials. And as you fulfill requests, you will also learn recipes for new features in town, such as rooms with specific purposes for the NPCs (i.e. a bedroom, barn, bathhouse, outhouse, kitchen, etc).

2019072004292000-ba01xjkic.jpg

As you do this, your townspeople go about their daily routines, breathing life into town. The villagers will eat breakfast and dinner if you fill a chest with harvested crops and provide them with tables, stools and supperware. They will sleep at night in the bedding you provide them. They will till the land and water crops in the fields you restore with the help of a giant earthworm. They will line up to use the outhouse and leave "night soil" for you to collect from the toilets. They will patrol the pathways and guard the farm.

And no matter what they do, the villagers drop "hearts of gratitude" for you to pick up. The hearts are how you level up your base, ringing the town's bell when you fill the meter. Leveling up your base helps advance the story, and also rewards you with a bounty of new recipes and skills for the townsfolk, further streamlining the busywork of running a farm. You also attract new residents to town whenever you level up the base, which means more helping hands.

I find myself grinning each time I level up the base. It's adorable watching the chibi-style townsfolk pump their lil' fists in the air while going "Haha! Yay! Haha! Yay!" This game is incredibly charming. And while it's continuously introducing new ideas and new gameplay, it's never overwhelming, and I find myself eagerly engaging with each new item and option. The many interlocking systems are intuitive to follow, and multiplicative in how they enhance one another.

And the atmosphere... *chef's kiss* There's nothing cozier in games than wandering the lush gardens of your town at night, the torches burning brightly (even in the rain) while your townsfolk sleep soundly in their beds. There's a sense of wonder to the world as you climb to a high point (or build one yourself!) and survey the vast draw distance of the world around you.

I've seen footage of slowdown on Switch, but so far I haven't encountered much — and when I have (after setting up hundreds of light sources on my farm), it's still perfectly playable. Personally, I find Builders 2 utterly absorbing on a handheld, even if it drains the battery at a comparable rate to BotW (within 2-3 hours). But you can't go wrong playing either version.

There's so much to say, but I think I'll end it there. It's been awhile since a game has gotten its hooks into my mind like this. It killed my productivity this weekend when I was planning to get ahead on my stories for work. Instead I was up all night until six in the morning, scurrying around my town, slapping sconces on the walls and setting up fences, trying to make the place feel just a bit more like home. :-3

2019072004120500-ba0120jch.jpg

2019072004292700-ba01dfjhc.jpg

2019072004120800-ba01fvjl5.jpg

Last edited:

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
This game has been on my mind since its release. I enjoyed the first one, but you make it sound like the sequel is a masterpiece! That's it, I'm getting this game tomorrow!

This post is *chef's kiss*, amazing!

Oct 25, 2017
In the first game, you constantly had to scrap your town and move onto another one and that really killed my enjoyment of the game.

Is that the same here?

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Wow, this post has put this game on my radar. Is it remotely like Dark Cloud 1/2? Those games blended good rpg gameplay with city building and I've been yearning for something similar for the past decade.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It certainly is addicting. For me, it is like a weird hybrid of Dark Cloud, The Sims, Animal Crossing, and Minecraft. All of that with a nice Dragon Quest finish. It is really hard for me to stop playing sometimes.

Jan 4, 2018
In the first game, you constantly had to scrap your town and move onto another one and that really killed my enjoyment of the game.

Is that the same here?
Technically yes. But there are a few things that help. You now have a home island which you return to (with all your resources) between chapters, so you do in a sense have a permanent town. You also bring back several of the more distinct characters with you (5 or 6 of them) to this island after completing each of the others. And you can also travel back to any island if you want to (can't remember if this was in the original but I don't think it was?).

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Im enjoying this alot im at the part where an npc has asked me to build a bathroom cause the smell of herself and others are making her puke,and also to make a room with a toilet,its funny cause once i build the toilet there was a long line to use it lol.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
So glad you made this thread. This is hands-down my favorite game in a while and I didn't think much of it until I played the demo a couple of weeks ago. I love the interaction with the villagers and the way they handle the busy work. I enjoy the writing and humor, the audio, the art. Just a great game all around. Best thing for me is seeing how people built their towns in comparison to mine.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so it's not just Minecraft with a Dragon Quest veneer? I don't really like Minecraft so I've stayed away.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
I know 3 different people (including my wife) who are absolutely in love with this game and can't stop playing it, and won't stop singing it's praises (as well as how much better it is than the last game). And in general online I'm seeing folks in love with it and it came out of nowhere for them.

I'm gonna wind up playing it just to see what it's all about lol.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so it's not just Minecraft with a Dragon Quest veneer? I don't really like Minecraft so I've stayed away.
It's an extremely charming and heartfelt JRPG in a world destroyed by a god of destruction, where you befriend various weirdos and go on quests and rebuild towns, leveling up yourself and your allies while learning new skills, and where you just happen to have Minecraft-like powers at your disposal that allow you to reshape the environment to solve puzzles, or construct rooms where the villagers lead their Sims-like lives and routines.

You also have a Minecraft-style sandbox, but it's largely optional — more like a post-game attraction (and one you can play together with others in local or online multiplayer). This is a game where the main draw is arguably the journey from island to island rebuilding communities and fending off evil, but it also has the sandbox elements people enjoy in Minecraft. It's fantastic.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played Builders and likely won't anytime soon, but I must say that the feeling of trying out a demo or a risky purchase, going in blind and getting blown away by the game is... something else, and games I've come to adore that way almost always end up closer to my heart than games I've hyped up over time for myself.

It happened with 999 (literal life changer), Soul Sacrifice, Persona 4 Golden (became GOAT when it happened) and The House In Fata Morgana (became my GOAT when it happened as well)

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Technically yes. But there are a few things that help. You now have a home island which you return to (with all your resources) between chapters, so you do in a sense have a permanent town. You also bring back several of the more distinct characters with you (5 or 6 of them) to this island after completing each of the others. And you can also travel back to any island if you want to (can't remember if this was in the original but I don't think it was?).
Sounds good. That aspect was what kept me from finishing the first one.

How is the performance on Switch compared to PS4, is there a huge Difference?

Oct 2, 2018
sooo goood. I'm in the late game stages. And its been... i'll play til 1am and then I gotta to bed. Next minute. Its 4am and I'm like "fuck!!"

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I totally cosign though I would say the postgame is where the real "Minecraft" comes in, or more accurately, a better Creativerse.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

The Switch version is half the framerate (~30 fps instead of 60 fps), with occasional dips in areas with extremely high geometry or effects. I'm playing the Switch version and I find it generally smooth, and always playable. Image quality is nice, clean and detailed. There is a minute-long load when you initially boot the game, but once you're past the title screen, load times are relatively brief and infrequent.

It comes down to whether you prefer to play handheld or on TV. The battery in handheld lasts several hours, like BotW, so not the longest, but I find it most absorbing this way, and like to cuddle up in various places around the house playing it. :-3

Oct 2, 2018

switch is 30fps and will have bad slowdown imo (especially late game). Also a juice hog when not docked.

I'm on a ps4pro - its 60fps and when I run on the main island, it chugs a bit.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with everything you said OP, I was also completely surprised and am now in love. I had a stint with minecraft way back in the Java days but never was too serious about it, but the jrpg elements and townsfolk in general go a long way in making me care about building this intricate little world for them. In minecraft I was always so basic and direct to progression but here I weirdly care about making the little girl her own nice looking house on its own when she asks.

Such a chill and feelgood kind of game I needed right now. Gameplay is very different but it's hitting some of the same notes as Stardew did for me. A nice relaxing pace of gradually building up this little game world, it's just pleasant all around.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
I want to like this game so bad but just can't. I just can't get past the main character's design to really get into it. I wish there was a character creator or something at least. I also can't stand the chibi (think that's what that's called) style to all the characters in general.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, I don't want to spoil much but the world is just this insane impossible place where everyone has been duped into believing the craziest stuff. Folks are made to think they have to destroy everything, yet have no food, and are blown away when you show up. It's just done in such a consistent and endearing way it somehow all works and I love it.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I also recommend this overview video (be warned, though: the announcer is hyped as heck):

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You missed the bus on the first game, eh? I remember playing the demo of the original on PS4 — and I did so as someone who is decidedly a non-fan of Minecraft — only to end up sinking more hours into it than I have some full-fledge titles! I enjoy that there's structure and progression, but you can still have fun building cool things at your own leisure. Super charming, fun game.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This game is only 1.6 GB, by the way. If you get it on Switch, I recommend it buying digitally so that you can access it any time.

I'd also like to note this game is my introduction to Dragon Quest. I know it's a spinoff, but I imagine the monster designs, etc, appear in the mainline titles, which has me interested now to try DQXI.

Feb 16, 2018
Absolutely loving this game, its got me completely hooked. One of those sequels thats pretty much a straight improvement over the first game.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even joking, I bought Builders 1 on Switch back in February of last year and COMPLETELY FORGOT I owned it until right now lmao

Guess I should play that first!

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even joking, I bought Builders 1 on Switch back in February of last year and COMPLETELY FORGOT I owned it until right now lmao

Guess I should play that first!
Sounds like the first game is different in many ways, and that the sequel makes many quality-of-life improvements. Still, it would probably be interesting to try the original at some point.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it a lot this weekend, and while it's great at times, most of the time it doesn't respect the player's time or intelligence at all. Worst of all, this isn't something like Minecraft where an issue I have with the game will probably get fixed later down the road. This isn't gonna get updated, and a lot of the problems I have with the game are just things I'm going to have to deal with.

Island 2 is sexist as hell, and at a point you just have to skip all the dialogue. It's bad.

The point I'm at in the game is awful

Stuck in prison. Basically spent the last 4 hours running around skipping through dialogue. Considering dropping the game. I hear there's a stealth section. I'm not looking forward to it.

The combat's basically pointless and tedious. Some of the unique bosses are alright, but (unless I just haven't unlocked it) the game needs a dodge roll or something, otherwise you're just kind of awkwardly walking away from enemy attacks. Hell, the game gives you a shield but doesn't let you use it. It's just a boost to your defense. At a certain point, you have so much defense that you're basically invulnerable. The only reason I want to block or dodge attacks is because they interrupt you. Also, when hordes show up, it essentially comes down to getting to them as quickly as possible, and aggroing all of them before they start destroying your base, then running laps around them while your allies deal with them. And while some of the bosses are alright, one of the main bosses is literally just dodging something given a 10 second warning, deflecting something also given a 10 second warning, and knowing the difference between red, green, and blue. Including level caps based on story progression also makes most combat post-hitting the level cap pointless. The items the enemies drop are redundant, and beyond that, they feel like a waste of time to fight.

You're given tons of quests throughout the game, and there's no quest log, meaning you have to run back to the NPC that gave you the quest and talk to them to get the quest info again. This means you also have to memorize every single object they want you to place in the room they want you to build in order to meet their requirements. I've started screenshotting NPC dialogue just so I wouldn't have to run back to them later.

This also means that if you're given a quest on one island that you need to complete on another island, you have to deal with the awful boat travel mechanic, where you can travel to any island from the main island, but you can't do the same from any island. So at one point I picked up a quest that required story progression, got to the point where I could do that quest several hours later, forgot the objective, went back to the main island, went to the secondary island that had the quest info, memorized the quest info, traveled back to the main island, then back to the island where I could complete the quest, completed the quest, traveled back to the main island, traveled back to the secondary island with the quest info, and finally turned the quest in. That's dumb as hell.

As far as I know, resources like ore can only be obtained from one island, so in order to get those resources which you'll need on your main island, you need to travel back to the island with ore. You also spend several hours fixing up a mining town, and over time they bring you ore every night. The whole goal of the island was to get the mining town thriving, but at the end of it, they stop giving you ore, which doesn't make any sense, because if you go into the mine, they're still mining. Seems like a weird oversight considering at the end they show you that the mine has more ore in it due to what you've done.

One of the satisfying things about mining in Minecraft is the way in which the world is generated. There's resources everywhere. In Dragon Quest Builders 2, if I go off the beaten path while in the mine, there's not going to be anything there.

Cooking stations and forges waste your time, and the way time passes in the game doesn't make any sense. Cooking stations and forges should also work similarly, but they don't. Although both take time to produce something, at a forge I can select what I want to craft, and queue up as many of that item as I want. I should be capable of doing this at a cooking station rather than needing to have both items in my inventory, and only being capable of queuing up 1 at a time. It would make sense if cooking didn't work like this because it was implemented like Breath of the Wild's which encourages experimentation, but it literally tells you what items can be combined and what items can't. It just doesn't tell you what those two items turn into until they're already cooking. Spending 15 seconds for a single loaf of bread at a time is ridiculous, considering how annoying the stamina system is.

Also, random weird bits with narration that turns 5 seconds of text into 5 minutes of text. It's not even covering a loading screen or anything. I don't know why these exist.

It's probably the most hand-holdy game I've ever played. I'm still getting basic tutorials like 30+ hours in. It's incredible how linear it is, and that pretty much all the optional content just gets you weird little cosmetics you'll probably never use.

One of the coolest parts so far was what I thought would be a proper dungeon near the end of the 2nd island, but all the puzzles were incredibly simple, and the boss sucked. The dungeon looked neat though.

The lava section a little bit after that also started off neat, but then you dive into how awful the water mechanics are, and I thought that section would melt my Switch.

A lot of the game's basic mechanics also aren't explained at all, and it's hard to find online resources for this game, because apparently nobody's played it. Things like town boundaries aren't explained. There's no map indicator, so you have to rely on the weird little differences between being in town and outside of town (music, followers, etc...). Sometimes villagers will just completely ignore a crop, and you have to mess with the location of the scarecrow and fence posts until they show up (why can't the player plow???). I came back to one of my villages, and my villagers had been completely ignoring half of my crops. I don't know if I need a chest closer to those crops or what. I also don't understand why villagers would be encouraged to dump off raw materials in any chest but the kitchen chest. The game tries to automate a bunch of stuff, but who's bringing items from the crop chest to the kitchen chest?

The camera is also terrible, and so is first-person mode. Also arbitrarily locking features behind first-person mode is dumb.

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Try the DEMO people.

There is a demo, and it should help give you and idea if you enjoy some level of the games mechanics, but it's a terrible demo and doesn't remotely capture much of what OP is raving about.

Game takes a few hours to warm up and really give you a bit more control. As soon as you leave the introduction island (after the demo), that's where it shines. And the game just keeps getting better.

It's my favorite game this year (really no contest).

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the demo is nice, but it ends right before you leave for Furrowfield, which is the first place you properly develop. So the demo doesn't give you a proper taste of the core gameplay, although it does help familiarize you with some of the mechanics. And the full game will allow you to skip the tutorial on the slave ship if you have data from the demo.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Conkerkid11 Nice writeup. I'm 3/4th through the metal island and yeah, I'm feeling all of this already. (Also Island #2's sexism is way up there, agreed)

In some ways this game is better than the first (mainly removing breakable gear) and yet in others it's completely backwards and weird. How scarce blueprints got is just baffling to me. And the lack of a quest log. And being unable to pull up an object list for a room type you want (yet you'll get a handy mark of ! in the crafting menu). And no dodge. And no visible town boundary. And. And. And. (not going to rewrite all of what you did already - you covered a lot of it).

Offhand someone mentioned how to corral livestock and I can't find it again. It's stuff like that.

Fully agreed that if this was a game that would get regular updates (like Terraria, say) then wow there's an amazing game for this to grow into. Sadly, I think the "shipped, done" mentality is still in play here, which is a huge bummer.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My GCU ends next week. Really hoping they send a coupon that stacks so I can use it on this. Would be my final GCU purchase.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, building aspect as another dimension to games like these. Combat and puzzles are very simple in DQB but with everything else they makes a whole package.

Another have I think needs a building mode is Animal Crossing. It seems there slowly adding one starting with path building but I want to build my whole village like I did in DQB2.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It fixed almost all of my issues with the first game, and the stronger story/character focus is really novel. The localization is also one of the best in the franchise.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
If not for this coming out right next to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Fire Emblem Three Houses, this would've been mine. As it stands, I'll have to wait until later in the year to pick this up.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
There is a demo, and it should help give you and idea if you enjoy some level of the games mechanics, but it's a terrible demo and doesn't remotely capture much of what OP is raving about.

Game takes a few hours to warm up and really give you a bit more control. As soon as you leave the introduction island (after the demo), that's where it shines. And the game just keeps getting better.

It's my favorite game this year (really no contest).

Yeah, if someone wants to try a demo I'd recommend checking out the first game's demo over DQB2's. You get a decent sense of what the real gameplay is like and not just the barebones tutorial, plus you get the added bonus of seeing just how much the QoL changes improve the gameplay once you play Builders 2.

Should I play the first DQB or just skip straight to this one?

The first Builders is really good but the second one fixes nearly all of its issues. It's still worth playing but you could just as easily jump right into the sequel.

is there magic in this?

Gotta save something for Builders 3!

Zanon

Oct 29, 2017
This game is so damn good. Seriously, it's got a great game play loop. My only complaint so far is the combat is a little weak but I can look past that because everything else works so well. Exploring is so much fun in this game and the tools they give you to do so work very well.