• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Saw some tweets today saying the IP block has been lifted again?

Not near my home computer or Switch to check it out, can anyone give it a go and see?
Huh, really? Interesting. I'll update the game on Switch while I do my morning work and check back in once it's done.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I tested it just now (Had to wait until kids' time) and yep, it works with no VPN.

Cool, can't wait to log on at six in the morning! Thanks for giving it a go.

Scratch that, I put in the wrong birthday when I was registering an account way back when and can't recover my guy til I figure out which date it is... Boo.

Last edited:

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Seems the IP restriction is back. I managed to dig up my old password last night and was all ready to go. Alas, no soup for me.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The main story in the new expansion is going to be fully voiced! And they announced a new job, Death Master.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
I totally forgot we had an OT...
I criticized the game in the other thread but for some reason I bought the all-in-on package on Switch yesterday and it feels so much better to play than on PC (the walking speed still really need to be faster though). I'm probably going to sub one month and finally, finally, finish Version 2. I am so late.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot we had an OT...
I criticized the game in the other thread but for some reason I bought the all-in-on package on Switch yesterday and it feels so much better to play than on PC (the walking speed still really need to be faster though). I'm probably going to sub one month and finally, finally, finish Version 2. I am so late.
Why do you say it feels much better to play than on PC? I've played both and it's fairly similar, but PC is constantly 60 FPS for me.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you say it feels much better to play than on PC? I've played both and it's fairly similar, but PC is constantly 60 FPS for me.
I wasn't talking about performances. It does run a bit better on my PC but I don't have a "comfy couch" setup and I don't like using it for gaming, sitting at my desk. The Switch version takes a hit regarding FPS but it's more comfortable, either docked or portable, and puts me in a better mood to play (maybe "feel" wasn't the best word?).

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about performances. It does run a bit better on my PC but I don't have a "comfy couch" setup and I don't like using it for gaming, sitting at my desk. The Switch version takes a hit regarding FPS but it's more comfortable, either docked or portable, and puts me in a better mood to play (maybe "feel" wasn't the best word?).
Oh, I see. My primary complaint was trying to type, but if I played it seriously I'd just connect a keyboard .

I definitely need to return to the game. I'm a while expansion behind. I think everyone I know who was playing quit... Sigh.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't think of the keyboard, but I play 100% solo so I've never really used it...
I hope the new extension will be good and bring back old players with some new ones. I just watched the prologue trailer and I'm kind of hyped to be honest, even though I have 2 extensions to do before !

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man I should really get back into this especially with the new expansion coming out

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
After 4 years and a half since I started it, and 197 hours of playtime, I, at last, finished Version 2.
The last dungeon was pretty good, as was the final part starting from getting your own dragon. It was an enjoyable expansion overall, apart from the stamp collectathon that broke my will to play a couple of times...
I like Anlucia as a character despite the fact she's not doing much as a Yusha, sending the MC do all the errands, lol.
I wish she would become a permanent party member but I guess we can't escape from recruiting random support companions...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
After 4 years and a half since I started it, and 197 hours of playtime, I, at last, finished Version 2.
The last dungeon was pretty good, as was the final part starting from getting your own dragon. It was an enjoyable expansion overall, apart from the stamp collectathon that broke my will to play a couple of times...
I like Anlucia as a character despite the fact she's not doing much as a Yusha, sending the MC do all the errands, lol.
I wish she would become a permanent party member but I guess we can't escape from recruiting random support companions...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oddly enough, I started working through version 2 last night myself. Been forever but gonna give an honest go of it to try and catch up over the next six months.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Oddly enough, I started working through version 2 last night myself. Been forever but gonna give an honest go of it to try and catch up over the next six months.
Wish you good luck!
It's well worth it, and pretty fast now with all the QOL improvements made over the year.

I started doing the ver. 2 side quests I missed before jumping onto ver. 3. They're pretty nice.
I also tried the pyramid for the first time, and I can't believe I skipped it for so long since it's rather easy, doesn't take much time, and gives good rewards (and I was wondering why I didn't have any chest accessory...)

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Since the next expansion is coming and some of my friends are tweeting about it like crazy, I decided to jump back in and finish all 4.x patches, so I can jump in day 1.
Yesterday I finally finished 4.4 and I have to say that so far, the quality of the story for most of these has been really great.

Unrelated, but while fighting the 4.4. final boss, I was shocked to see how powerful the new Summoner class is. With the powerful magic + familiar, having one in my part made my second attempt a real cakewalk.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Finally was able to finish 4.5 yesterday, together with the epilogue quests required to have access to the next expansion. Also preordered said expansion.

While I really enjoyed 4.x patches, especially with how easy it was to move between areas, doing the post-story quests was an exercise in patience.
Even with the mega zoom stone, I had to spent literally ~3+ hours running back and forth between npcs, just because locations are so huge.
Some of the quests were really tedious too, with multiple steps and half of them not marked on the map for some reason.
The whole experienced made me much less excited for the expansion, but at least I'm done with it.

All that said, the story in 4.x is really, really good and I definitely recommend everyone who only finished the 4.0 part to jump back in. Totally worth it.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, they're making some pretty major changes with this expansion, aren't they? I was just scrolling through my Twitter feed and saw the DQ10 account talking about overhauling the skill point system so that you can no longer spend points earned on one job on another job. But they're adding more skill points per level up and stuff. I didn't expect they'd make such a big change this late in the game's life.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Huh, they're making some pretty major changes with this expansion, aren't they? I was just scrolling through my Twitter feed and saw the DQ10 account talking about overhauling the skill point system so that you can no longer spend points earned on one job on another job. But they're adding more skill points per level up and stuff. I didn't expect they'd make such a big change this late in the game's life.
The usual wiki has a nice summary of the changes/additions.
I'm not sure how I feel about the new skill system, since I've been leeching weapon skills from my other jobs. I hope I will be still able to fairly easily get job skill to 180 and sword/shield skills on my magic knight, because it would really suck to lose the top abilities.

As for me, after the slog which was the few hours of post game quests I decided to cancel my preorder of v5 for now.
I burned out a bit rushing through 4.2~4.5+post game in a week and if I went straight to the expansion I probably wouldn't finish the story.
Plus I'd rather wait until all the bosses get "weak" difficulty, haha.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I finished the new expansion yesterday, so here are some thoughts.

The new class (Death Master) is great, feels pretty powerful too. Since I was able to boost it to lv 105 and grab a free 105 weapon from Astoltia Defense. While a bit fragile (caster armors and no shield will do that, I guess), it's really fun all around, both as a DPS and support.

As for the v5.0 story, I enjoyed it. Although mostly for the characters introduced, since actual things that happened were just your regular DQ fare (although there were some really good moments, especially near the end). One thing that surprised me was how short the main story part was. I think I finished it in 2 afternoons, which was a far cry from previous expansions, Shadowbringers, and even the total length of the 4.1-4.5 patches.
On the positive side, there was almost no fat, running back and forth between npcs just to advance the story forward. With a similar teleport system as the cube in 4.x, moving around was really fast too.
One more nice change is the ability to choose the difficulty for bosses right away in 5.0 content, I hope they keep this policy going forward.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The time diff between the last two messages is only nine days so I assume somewhere in there you had a change of heart? LOL

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The time diff between the last two messages is only nine days so I assume somewhere in there you had a change of heart? LOL
I honestly don't remember what was the reason, but yeah, I re-preordered it, ha ha.

Unrelated, but one thing I love about DQX is how easy it is to catch up, be it level, gear, or the story.

- For the older story, you can just keep warping to each NPC straight from the menu.
- You can use max level NPCs of your friends' characters for free (and Team ones for a low price)
- Getting a max (105) level weapon for one class takes 1-2 hours tops through Astoltia Defense unless you're extremely unlucky
- Getting level 96/98/100 gear set is possible and fairly easy through Zerumea (Zelmea?). Requires some luck, because gear for all classes and slots can drop, but is still stupidly simple compared to other MMOs.
- SE gives metal/pair metal dungeon tickets and genkidamas out like candy, plus the genki time you use to get them charges even when your subscription isn't active iirc (and the exchange can be done through the DQX app, which is also the best companion app I've ever used).

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
There's level boosting now?
I think I saw someone mention that, so out of curiosity I checked the paid shop, but didn't find any jump potions.
You can start playing from v5 instead of v1 if you make a new character, but it won't level match you, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were level up items now tbh.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think I saw someone mention that, so out of curiosity I checked the paid shop, but didn't find any jump potions.
You can start playing from v5 instead of v1 if you make a new character, but it won't level match you, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were level up items now tbh.
Oh, I thought you meant you boosted when I read this

Since I was able to boost it to lv 105 and grab a free 105 weapon from Astoltia Defense

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Hey, friends, sorry for the bump. Is Europe still locked out of the no VPN fun?

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had heard that the US was removed from the block but Europeans may not have been so lucky? If you do try, let us know.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
An update: I did try logging on Switch this morning with no luck.

However, the browser version that's in beta at the moment appears to have no limit to it.

By the by, what's the deal with the yellow fairy lady that gave me a book when I logged into DQX after about 5 years of not playing?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
An update: I did try logging on Switch this morning with no luck.

However, the browser version that's in beta at the moment appears to have no limit to it.

By the by, what's the deal with the yellow fairy lady that gave me a book when I logged into DQX after about 5 years of not playing?

You are probably talking about the Yellow Diary, I think it was added in Version 2, but it's been so long. It's kind of a guide of important NPCs to speak to that you get rewarded for with mini medals.

I'm surprised it didn't work as it worked just this December for me.

Edit: Just checked, during the beta the online version is open all times, not only kids time, it may be that you just tried logging in at the wrong time on your Switch. Kids time is 16:00-18:00.

Last edited:

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
You are probably talking about the Yellow Diary, I think it was added in Version 2, but it's been so long. It's kind of a guide of important NPCs to speak to that you get rewarded for with mini medals.

I'm surprised it didn't work as it worked just this December for me.

Edit: Just checked, during the beta the online version is open all times, not only kids time, it may be that you just tried logging in at the wrong time on your Switch. Kids time is 16:00-18:00.

You're in Europe too?

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to reactivating. If I recall correctly, I'm still in v2... but I honestly am not sure anymore. I have absolutely no idea what I was doing last. It's easy to get back on track with the story, but I wonder what other stuff has been added that I should concern myself with.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I finally got around to reactivating. If I recall correctly, I'm still in v2... but I honestly am not sure anymore. I have absolutely no idea what I was doing last. It's easy to get back on track with the story, but I wonder what other stuff has been added that I should concern myself with.
I recommend checking this part of the wiki - https://dq10.i-k-e.net/quest/func/
That said, I feel that the game was pretty good at putting these in your quest log recommendations.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend checking this part of the wiki - https://dq10.i-k-e.net/quest/func/
That said, I feel that the game was pretty good at putting these in your quest log recommendations.
Thanks!
Turns out I'm on v3. Going along... did a few bag expansion quests first, then I just did a main story quest where I had to tune the pitchfork with three different songs and then the prince of Verinard's double got kidnapped. There's nothing like new DQ stories.

I don't think I'm prepared to try to figure out this new skill point world where you can't use them across classes anymore.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Thanks!
Turns out I'm on v3. Going along... did a few bag expansion quests first, then I just did a main story quest where I had to tune the pitchfork with three different songs and then the prince of Verinard's double got kidnapped. There's nothing like new DQ stories.

I don't think I'm prepared to try to figure out this new skill point world where you can't use them across classes anymore.
I was afraid I would hate the new skill system, because most of the skills on my RDM were from other classes, but it turned out that if you do job quests you have enough skill points for everything you'd need and that's without even buying skill books. I think it was a great change.

One thing to remember regarding high level gear is that you can easily get 100+ equipment for free:
Armor
Weapons

Armor might take a bit (each run is short, but you need items to enter), because the drops are randomized, but getting enough points for a level 105 weapon took me maybe an hour.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Uh oh, you guys making me want to get back in...
I just got the PSO2 packaged version and new people joined my FC in FFXIV, so I really don't want to jump into the 3rd MMO at the same time, but...
Main thing that's keeping me from it is the stupidly small volume of the latest expansion. 5.0 took me a weekend to finish and I think if I powered through, 1 day would have been enough for the story. No idea how big 5.1 is and 5.2 is going to be, but if they're also quite small, I'll probably just wait for the whole patching period to be done before jumping in again.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
5.2 seems to have quite a bit of stuff going by DQTV but that doesn't speak to story volume. I hope the voice acting doesn't require them to cut back.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I started a new character and just going through the story and mobs are kinda of smacking me real hard. I don't think I'm underleveled and I have the best equipment but I'm constantly getting hit for like half health.

Am I forgetting something?

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I was afraid I would hate the new skill system, because most of the skills on my RDM were from other classes, but it turned out that if you do job quests you have enough skill points for everything you'd need and that's without even buying skill books. I think it was a great change.

One thing to remember regarding high level gear is that you can easily get 100+ equipment for free:
Armor
Weapons

Armor might take a bit (each run is short, but you need items to enter), because the drops are randomized, but getting enough points for a level 105 weapon took me maybe an hour.
Oh, I did the tutorial for the Astoltia defense force earlier... it is very intimidating.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Oh, I did the tutorial for the Astoltia defense force earlier... it is very intimidating.
When you're low level and don't have a min-max build, it feels like you're not doing much, but the team can always use some buffs, I feel like. I never did a tutorial for it, but since most people doing it seem to be pretty strong, it was fine. I think you still get some materials even if you lose, too.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Does it still cost extra to play DQX on PS4? I forget what the deal was but I remember being turned off by the PS4 version when it first came out because it somehow cost more, or something. Having trouble finding concrete deets online tho. Anyone know wassup?

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Does it still cost extra to play DQX on PS4? I forget what the deal was but I remember being turned off by the PS4 version when it first came out because it somehow cost more, or something. Having trouble finding concrete deets online tho. Anyone know wassup?
Doubt anything has changed.
The problem with the PS4 version is that it requires one of the higher tiers for subscription for some reason - I assume that if you're paying that, you can play all versions you have purchased (remember that you need to buy expansions for each platform separately iirc). It won't work the other way, if you're only paying for the lowest tier on PC/Switch, you won't be able to play on the PS4.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Doubt anything has changed.
The problem with the PS4 version is that it requires one of the higher tiers for subscription for some reason - I assume that if you're paying that, you can play all versions you have purchased (remember that you need to buy expansions for each platform separately iirc). It won't work the other way, if you're only paying for the lowest tier on PC/Switch, you won't be able to play on the PS4.
Oh I see, so if I subscribe with PS4, I can use said sub on Switch as well, long as I own the Switch version too?