• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Would be so happy if the entire DQ series gets on the Switch.
Yeah, that would be neat. Especially physically. I was hoping that they'd get there on the 3DS, but of course 1-3 never came to the west and I don't think there was a physical version in Japan either.

I still need to go back and beat 2 on my AVS, but it's been so long I should just start over. The only DQ game I've beaten is 1, although I spent like 55 hours in 7 on 3DS (so like... halfway through? lol)

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Nice to see the Switch get more Dragon Quest! Maybe some day we'll get another Rocket Slime.

Shame about the graphics!

I'm in the middle of DQV on DS right now, in my preparation for DQXI.

It's still so weird to me how here in Europe we didn't get ANY Dragon Quests until Dragon Quest 8, and they didn't have numbers until DQ9.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did see the footage in the Japan Direct, but I didn't know it would come with English support too!
Color me interested

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's safe to say that we won't be seeing Square Enix games come to the NES or SNES Online apps.

Super Mario RPG might be the exception.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
I did see the footage in the Japan Direct, but I didn't know it would come with English support too!
Color me interested

I wonder if Amazon Japan will have pre-orders?

Careful with that, It's not 100% sure confirmed that the Japanese release have english support, I'm waiting for nintendo jp site to show which language are available.

The one from the tweet and being sold for preorder right now are for the Asian region.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm definitely getting the physical version of this collection.
Hope they do the same with 4-6 later.
A DQVIII HD version based on 3DS version would be great. Ohhh...
But with the orchestra score.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Careful with that, It's not 100% sure confirmed that the Japanese release have english support, I'm waiting for nintendo jp site to show which language are available.

The one from the tweet and being sold for preorder right now are for the Asian region.
Guess I'll wait for some more concrete confirmation.

Playasia's listing has "English" as a subtitle option

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Based on the Nintendo feed we got during the Direct, DQ 1 to 3 looked like the SNES version and not iOS version. The games looked sharper and crisper. If they release the physical would buy and if not would atill buy. If they port 4 to 6, would quadruple dip as I own 4-6 on iOS. I hope Nintendo gives us a way to replay VII and VIII on switch. I won't double dip for those.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Based on the Nintendo feed we got during the Direct, DQ 1 to 3 looked like the SNES version and not iOS version. The games looked sharper and crisper. If they release the physical would buy and if not would atill buy. If they port 4 to 6, would quadruple dip as I own 4-6 on iOS. I hope Nintendo gives us a way to replay VII and VIII on switch. I won't double dip for those.
They ported the Mobile versions to PS4. As far as I've seen the sprites are super smooth and the monsters use HD art, but it still cuts out the intro and board games.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
My dude, those were most definitely the mobile versions. Looking at it again right now. Those were most definitely not the SNES sprites and like others have mentioned they lack the animation from those versions. They replaced a lot of those sprites with HD artwork that looks a little off. See the video two above mine, that is what is coming to the switch.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Square Enix would need to pay me to replay Dragon Quest 2 and that awful final stretch of the game starting with that awful cave followed by the enemies that can cast kathwack -.-

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix would need to pay me to replay Dragon Quest 2 and that awful final stretch of the game starting with that awful cave followed by the enemies that can cast kathwack -.-
It was so brutal as a kid, but some how managed it. I want to play it again as I still really liked that game even if it is just nostalgia talking.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It was so brutal as a kid, but some how managed it. I want to play it again as I still really liked that game even if it is just nostalgia talking.
I enjoyed most of the game, but ugh that finale was was like 5% of the total game but took probably 30% of my play time grinding just to survive.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
These are the only games in the series I'm missing, so I'll probably import. I still need to pick up the 3DS version of VIII as well.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
I was sad they didn't have a western release but now I don't care, Day Frigging 1 import regardless if western announcement!!!!!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

medium_dragon-quest-ij7jxd.jpg

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so do I need to make a new account to buy this from the eshop? right now I have a US and a Japanese account

Also anyone know good places to buy eshop cards if I do need a new account?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they? I know all the modern remakes (DS, 3DS) drastically lower the difficulty which messes up with the balance. Are the SNES versions of DQ1-3 easier than the originals?
I know they are definitely easier for 2, but I would argue that improves the balance. I felt like I grinded as much in both the GBC and mobile versions, but it's possible that since I played the mobile first and was new it was a lot harder for me despite being easier.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know they are definitely easier for 2, but I would argue that improves the balance. I felt like I grinded as much in both the GBC and mobile versions, but it's possible that since I played the mobile first and was new it was a lot harder for me despite being easier.

Yeah, 2 is probably the only main game in the series where I would say that lowering the difficulty would noticeably improve the game. Maybe 1 as well, but it's a short game as it is. DQ3-8 original, I feel like the balance is spot-on. Then 9 is on the easy side (but has crazy amounts of post-game random content) & 11 has difficulty options.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Asian retail release in English is all I need. My video game store nearby here in Germany gets most Asia releases and if not, I can still import, the pure existence is good enough.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm actually tempted to import for the first time in my life to get this physically, but I'm half hoping they do a full retail English release. Unlikely, but it would be nice.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I would mostly get this for the physical release because the only game in it worth playing these days is DQIII (and even that has been surpassed by other entries in its job system) so it serves as a collector item.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I could see myself picking this up, I've only ever played 1 and half of 2 on my phone. Shame about the graphics decisions, seems par for the course these days.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Cool. I recently played through DQ1 on iOS and enjoyed it, but I'd much rather play on switch. Looking forward to playing 2 & 3.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
And that's a good thing. The NOS is horrible. Even digital butchered ports are better than that.

Huh? The NSO games are wonderfully emulated, not to mention very nicely presented. They're among the best way to emulate NES and SNES games. There are plenty of retro port collections -- even those that aren't quite "butchered" -- that are much worse.

Anyway, yes please with the Dragon Quest. I'm really interested in DQIII, but the completionist in me will have a hard time passing up the first two.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Pirate Bae The thread you closed wasn't a duplicate thread. This is for the asian release version, we got news today that they are releasing in NA and Europe, I don't see why close it. New news, new thread.