• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone that's saying the combat's good, can you give me some in-depth explanation on what makes it good? I've finished Sekiro several times, and I'm looking for the next fight. I was thinking about Nioh 2, but that might be pushing it for my PC since I just meet it's recommended settings GPU wise. I want to hit 60fps. I know the PC version of Dragon's Dogma can hit 60 easily. How does the combat work in this game?
It really depends on what class you choose. For me, magick archer is the best class as it allows for excellent mobility (with the ability to jump) and the use of ranged magic attacks

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
It's weird, I loved the demo. I probably played that thing like twenty times. When I bought the game, it just didn't click. Don't think I'd call it overrated though, seemed like a pretty quality game I just didn't care for.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
It was a fantastic game in 2012. It's still a fun game with good combat that could easily be improved in many areas. It took me around 20 hours before it really clicked for me and ultimately fighter is the only class I really liked a lot. It could have been an incredible multiplayer game and I'd love to see what DD 2 looks like.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
For everyone that's saying the combat's good, can you give me some in-depth explanation on what makes it good? I've finished Sekiro several times, and I'm looking for the next fight. I was thinking about Nioh 2, but that might be pushing it for my PC since I just meet it's recommended settings GPU wise. I want to hit 60fps. I know the PC version of Dragon's Dogma can hit 60 easily. How does the combat work in this game?

The game has a great variety of classes which all feel different from each other and can be evolved to stronger proffesions. Every enemy has multiple weakpoints and strategies to take them out faster, for example, the hydra can be beheaded and if you use fire in the neck stump to cauterize the wound, its head will regenerate slower, or you can make them eat explosive barrels to instantly behead it and make it lose a ton of health. All these strategies can be learnt by the pawns and when other player takes them as support they can teach their knowledge to the other player's pawn.

As for your character, spells are very flashy and powerful, it really makes you feel like Gandalf when you summon a meteor storm or a huge earthquake. The melee classes are weighty with their slashes and climbing monsters to attack their weak points is very fun and satisfying.

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I only spent a few hours when the pc re release came out but it was the biggest waste of my time, it was so boring, I tried to enjoy it I really did but "combat gets good eventually" really isn't enough to make an RPG amazing

leder

Oct 25, 2017
No I've made plenty of threads the past few weeks but I don't think I made one on DD. You're right on my complaining though 😂
Heh no worries, there's a lot of games that Era's crazy about that I don't like. I just don't have the stamina to make my case against them more than once or twice. Getting a flood of those red alerts stresses me out.

Is exploring any fun in the game?
I like it a lot, but it's definitely not for everyone. In fact, it is kind of shitty. But it's shitty in just the right way (for me). Everything feels a bit improvised. It strongly reminds me of playing an actual D&D session, where things are just kind of made up on the fly and not focus tested to death. The game is also fairly restrained with loot, it's not like diablo or something where every enemy is a loot pinata, so if you're exploring it's because you actually want to, not because you feel like you have to in order to keep progressing. In that way it's a bit refreshing. If you come across some random cave or something, you explore it because you want to, not because it's signposted Content that you're checking off of the game's content list.

Jun 23, 2019
I just recently tried playing again on PS5 and man something about this game just doesn't click with me and I love games like it. Maybe I just need to stop trying to make Mage work and just make a straight STR character and bash monsters.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Not really. There's basically nothing interesting to find in the open world. There's also no real rewards for exploring either since any loot you find in the open world is basically guaranteed to be fairly weak and not worth using (the way damage is calculated makes this even worse). Exploration sorta improves during Bitterblack Isle, but that's endgame content and is instead dungeon exploration rather than open world exploration.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
seeing all these posts disagreeing with the OP proves something...

THAT WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS!

Masterworks all, can't go wrong.

The game really is a masterclass of openworld combat, in that regard it is UNRIVALED. But it really does boil down to how you want to play that game. I personally dual daggers and strengthening magic is the way to go, but I can't fault anyone who wants to use big heavy swords for slow but damaging attacks or the big budget wizard spells because those are just as valid. The grappling aspect, the hitstun, the movement, it's all incredible.

But, does the game have boring and predictable enemy placement? Yes. Is the world lifeless, yes. Are the NPC's interesting, no. Are most of thee story missions straight up dull, yes. Is there a lot of interesting things to see and do outside of combat? No.

Dragon's Dogma has a lot of faults, the combat isn't one of them. But I don't blame people for bouncing off it. It is clearly a game that had a very large chunk of it removed before shipping and DLC does not fill in that missing chunk.

The main quest line is REAL good though.

Jul 25, 2020
tenor.gif

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The world is static and certain encounters will trigger all the time just cause you entered an area making them feel less memorable and more of a hassle as you continue playing. After a certain point, traversing the game world becomes mindbogglingly dull because you keep running into the same set of enemies that dont scale to your level or pose any challenge but to get in your way.

Because this game lacks a lot of conveniences that are quite common in other open world style games like easy fast travel and/or ways to get around the world faster, you're forced to travel on foot most all the time and having to deal with a stamina system that gives you maybe 20 secs tops of sprinting speed. There are no horses or mounts or anything of that sort, just your two hairy feet. This game broke the R3 button on my gamepad because I was sprinting around so much trying to get to places.

There are some genuinely cool areas but they dont feel that great to come back to and explore if you're over the level of the enemies in that particular area. You'll be revisiting certain dungeons or areas to complete side quests but most of the time you'll be sprinting past enemies to just get to w/e you need to get to for your task.

This game is a real labor of love; if the combat clicks you'll put up with its bullshit, but if it doesnt then you're gonna think what were people smoking when they recommended it.

Oct 27, 2017
i bought it used on PS3 a few months before dark arisen was announced because i was always curious about it, booted it fully expecting a 6.5/7 experience, and was completely blown away from beginning to end. i can't speak for everyone, but i personally underrated the hell out of DD after hearing how mediocre it was, and i imagine a lot of people feel the same way. it's been long enough that the haters have moved on while the faithful still carry the torch.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't hate DD, but it did feel more like what I expect out of the first in a series that would go on to subsequently improve the faults of its OG, and not with the beloved GOAT level adulation it grew into.

And in that context I'm more upset that we never got a proper sequel(yes I've played Dark Arisen and I don't think that counts). Since I think the bones of the franchise are incredible and it's a shame it never continued(or at least got transmorphed into some other franchise to carry the torch)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with thinking Dark Souls is the best WRPG style game ever because I think so too, I have a problem with people actively trying really hard to praise Dragon's Dogma.
DD deserves praise for its combat and combat and combat supporting systems.

Which is all it ever gets praised for.

So, no.

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my favorites games of the last gen.Played so many hours mainly because of the combat system.

I believe a sequel with a better open world and characters can be one of the best games of all time.Imagine an open world with amazing locations to explore in this combat system.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not a fan of it. It's also aged horribly and it hasn't even been that long.

DD deserves praise for its combat and combat supporting systems.

Which is all it ever gets praised for.

So, no.
☝🏿☝🏿☝🏿☝🏿
Dark Souls is the best WRPG style game
Dark souls isn't WRPG style. Action rpgs is a japanese invention and keeping it %100 combat is almost never a focus in WRPGs as in literally almost nobody is playing BG, ME or witcher purely to beat things up. Dark souls doesn't even have a story unless you look for it. I don't want to say well done action melee games are purely an eastern thing but that's where all the innovation came from. Fighting games, character action, beat em ups, action rpgs, hack and slashes whatever

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
I got to this water temple finding relics fighting lizardmen and then had an epic fight with a giant troll in a huge arena, it was fucking epic! After this i faced the same troll multiple times in more frustrating scenarios with nothing much about the world jumping out at all then gave up on it.

The combat seemed incredible at first, a cross between monster hunter and dark souls and it was great for a while but it was all just so bland everywhere else...

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England
In the case of Dreagon's Dogma you only get praise for the combat, and only of the good fights agains the big mosnters, never anything about the tedious re-encounters with the million goblis, wolves, harpies and zombies that are just there to fill the barren open world. People here won't tell you most of the quest are clearing ruins of some weak lizard men, go check on this cultists or go fetch me this item.

Huh. I don't think that this accurately describes what makes the game appealing to the folks who like it. At least, it doesn't describe what made the game appealing to me. :-)

I think a running theme of Dragon's Dogma is hidden depth. The combat gets mentioned a lot. But the world is also surprisingly detailed and interesting, when you get beyond the bland face that it puts on. True, the game is set in a single barony modeled after medieval Europe, which is "generic" in that a lot of games are set in such places. But this Barony is quite specific, in that the game takes the cultural structures very seriously. From the Baron ignoring you (as a commoner) until he's forced to admit your importance, to the way you slowly realize that the baroness is just slumming with you, if you follow the relevant romance questline, to the adversarial relationship the people have with the wilds, the world felt, to me, much more faithfully and thoughtfully rendered than just another world with essentially modern people dressing up in costumes.

The sense of place that you develop when you explore the world is also quite wonderful. There are specific rocks and trees that I remember, because I know that they mark the path to a chest, or to an encounter at a goblin camp, or fortend an encounter with a wyvern. I remember most of the roads and passes. I remember specific crags and valleys, and specific treacherous paths far above a boiling sea. I remember the world like I remember a favorite vacation spot -- as a place with a specific geography, with memories attached to that geography. It's not a given that an open world game models a world well enough for it to feel real.

And of course there's the series of endings. I love how well the game sets up the relationship with the final boss. And how it twists and turns as it sets up new game plus.

I think that it's perfectly possible to move through the game without developing an appreciation for it. But that appreciation is not just based on "fun combat". There's a lot to the game, and if it manages to catch you, it sits well and vividly in memory, even years later.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the game has issues, but I am still hyped for a potential sequel. Why? Capcom has an amazing track record with taking a promising but underbaked first title, and completely blowing the doors off with the sequel. For example

• Mega Man -> Mega Man 2
  • Street Fighter -> Street Fighter 2
  • Mega Man -> Mega Man 2
  • Resident Evil -> Resident Evil 2
  • Capcom vs SNK -> Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Devil May Cry -> Devil May Cry 2 3 (3 was the actual ground-up sequel)

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Even thought the PC version is superior, all the loot-cheating made renting pawns irrelevant and I enjoyed the console version more (yea there was cheating there but few bothered with that).

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Dragon's Dogma is one of my favorite games of all time. The combat is amazing and the world is very atmospheric and melancholy which makes exploration incredibly engaging, especially at night which is the greatest implementation of night time in an rpg that I have ever played. Honestly I could write a book about everything else that I love about Dragon's Dogma, but I will just say here that I can't wait for the sequel to see where Capcom takes things next. All roads lead to Gran Soren!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
It is an exceedingly mediocre game, only partially saved by a good combat system; though even that is ruined by some major design faults. Outside of a few boss fights, I have no positive memory of this game.

I agree that the game has issues, but I am still hyped for a potential sequel. Why? Capcom has an amazing track record with taking a promising but underbaked first title, and completely blowing the doors off with the sequel. For example

• Mega Man -> Mega Man 2
  • Street Fighter -> Street Fighter 2
  • Mega Man -> Mega Man 2
  • Resident Evil -> Resident Evil 2
  • Capcom vs SNK -> Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Devil May Cry -> Devil May Cry 2 3 (3 was the actual ground-up sequel)
They are the second greatest game developers of all time. Only nintendo is better. DD2 is going to be insane.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
They are the second greatest game developers of all time. Only nintendo is better. DD2 is going to be insane.
🤝 my two favorite developers as well, and in very complementary ways. Nintendo is all about meticulously designing a game around a set of skills that you learn one by one, Capcom is all about giving you a basic obvious toolkit, which you discover more and more depth with on your own as you play.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It really is, but this forum seems to love it to death for some reason

I have DD: Dark Arisen and i try playing every now and then to see if it finally clicks and i can see the light.... to no avail, every time, still a very mediocre game with piss poor characters and world and just a decent combat system on top of it

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England

Yes. There are a bunch of shortcuts and secrets to discover. The world connects together in an interesting way, and if you get bored of one road, there's usually a more treacherous side path to get lost in.

Plus, you can climb a bunch of things. It's not quite as freeform as something like Breath of the Wild, but you can still have a lot of fun getting onto rooftops and messing about on cliffs.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Huh. I don't think that this accurately describes what makes the game appealing to the folks who like it. At least, it doesn't describe what made the game appealing to me. :-)

I think a running theme of Dragon's Dogma is hidden depth. The combat gets mentioned a lot. But the world is also surprisingly detailed and interesting, when you get beyond the bland face that it puts on. True, the game is set in a single barony modeled after medieval Europe, which is "generic" in that a lot of games are set in such places. But this Barony is quite specific, in that the game takes the cultural structures very seriously. From the Baron ignoring you (as a commoner) until he's forced to admit your importance, to the way you slowly realize that the baroness is just slumming with you, if you follow the relevant romance questline, to the adversarial relationship the people have with the wilds, the world felt, to me, much more faithfully and thoughtfully rendered than just another world with essentially modern people dressing up in costumes.

The sense of place that you develop when you explore the world is also quite wonderful. There are specific rocks and trees that I remember, because I know that they mark the path to a chest, or to an encounter at a goblin camp, or fortend an encounter with a wyvern. I remember most of the roads and passes. I remember specific crags and valleys, and specific treacherous paths far above a boiling sea. I remember the world like I remember a favorite vacation spot -- as a place with a specific geography, with memories attached to that geography. It's not a given that an open world game models a world well enough for it to feel real.

And of course there's the series of endings. I love how well the game sets up the relationship with the final boss. And how it twists and turns as it sets up new game plus.

I think that it's perfectly possible to move through the game without developing an appreciation for it. But that appreciation is not just based on "fun combat". There's a lot to the game, and if it manages to catch you, it sits well and vividly in memory, even years later.

I guess that if you found value on those experiences the devs did something right, at least for a percentage of players, and nothing will take that away from you.

I found the open world cool at first, when I was trying to be a rebel and explore outside the path that the story wanted me to follow. When I found the Lich near the walled fortress for the first time I was excited for all the secrets of the world, and when I realized you have to kill him during the night since he hides from the sunlight I realized how well designed the enemies were, but I felt cheated later on when I realized that I didn't found a secret boss, it was just a quest later on, same with everything else in the open world. There are really not secret caves or grooves or anything, everything is part of some story or side quest, which felt less like a real world full of secrets and more like the video game it is.

The duke is probably the most interesting character outside of the dragon since he represents the other choice for the arisen, to ignore the dragon and just live comfortably as a super human until the dragon dies, which makes the whole arisen thing kinda cooler.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've bought it on several different consoles, the combat is so damn fun.
Each class is cool and unique, and I really liked where the story ended up even if it takes too long to get there

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
My first and only post in this thread before it goes to Ignore Land is: Hell nah, it's amazing.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I was initially disappointed because I thought this was Capcoms answer to Dark Souls and it wasn't. I still played it and finished it after I took all the dark souls expectations out.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I think I cut the game off before I even fought anything. Clunky af, couldn't figure out where to go, game was incredibly ugly. Tried it on PS3 and PC and both times I played less than like 40 minutes of it. It's just one of those games that has a very loud niche audience that likes it,like a deadly premonition or something.

I'd be interested in giving the series another try if they release a new game that doesn't look as awful as this one does and if it's a bit more clear where I should be going,etc. I'm not completely uninterested in the game, but people made it seem that if you love MH games you will like this. Ehhhh,I beg to differ.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently tried playing again on PS5 and man something about this game just doesn't click with me and I love games like it. Maybe I just need to stop trying to make Mage work and just make a straight STR character and bash monsters.
Try Magick Archer it's a more....frenetic hybrid mage class. Assassin might be a nice fit for ya for a STR class it is a bit squish but there also isn't really any incentive to build yourself tanky as long as you're stocked on curatives. Experiment what classes u want and don't worry about min-maxing as the best it buys you is like 20 second faster end game kills in some circumstances.

Jun 23, 2019
Try Magick Archer it's a more....frenetic hybrid mage class. Assassin might be a nice fit for ya for a STR class it is a bit squish but there also isn't really any incentive to build yourself tanky as long as you're stocked on curatives. Experiment what classes u want and don't worry about min-maxing as the best it buys you is like 20 second faster end game kills in some circumstances.

Sounds good. Should I just restart from the beginning of the game?

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. Should I just restart from the beginning of the game?
I don't think you need to start over, I personally go Hard mode from jump cuz even the weakest enemies drop these fat bags of cash so it can help in the long run but its obviously not as run and gun since there are modifications to hard mode such as Stamina depletes faster and damage taken is increased. this could lead to slower play and since it's something people struggle with at the start I can't exactly recommend it, if that makes any sense? Even though it's how i play the game. Bear in mind if you do wanna jump into hard mode it does reset your save file's quests, but you keep all your gold, items and Vocation and leveling exp progress it essentially New Game+'s you even if you lack a clear file.

That being said, the hybrid vocations require the more standard vocations to be ranked up to a certain point, so Strider and fighter ranks can unlock Assassin and mage and strider ranks can unlock Magick Archer and bear in mind there is some carry over of skills such as some weapon skills and some spells and all passives so leveling up vocation ranks on all vocations for the passives is something you'll wanna do at some point for example Sorcerer can learn magic mitigation and MAG stat boost passives and Warrior can learn the physical equivalents Strider can learn Stamina related passives for climbing and Ranger can learn Bow related passives all the vocations tend to learn Stamina cost reduction passives somewhere down the line.

From what i remember Vocation EXP is inversely proportional to Level EXP meaning mobs you can bulldoze over easily (cuz they're weak and give less leveling EXP) will give the most Vocation EXP per kill. You still get chunks of Vocation EXP from everything you kill but if you wanna really unlock a class or get some skills don't ignore the weaker enemies as you move about the map.

EDIT: You can change your vocation at Gran Soren the main city, but you can do so earlier before arriving there but you have to unlock the Inn option at the military outpost near Cassardis, once you do so if you head back to Cassardis at night you'll find someone at the dock, this essentially takes you to Dark Souls Aesthetic DLC-land but that same NPC will be able to change your vocations just like the Inn Keep in Gran Soren,

Last edited: