• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So just like FighterZ they continue to give older Dragon Ball stuff the shaft. Z and Super are all that seem to exist usually.

There are many nods to Dragon Ball, more than I thought there would, you can visit Yamcha's home!
I'm just guessing they didn't want/have time to animate Tao's fighting skills, and he was in DBZ too (filler episodes while waiting the Cell's Tournament).

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So just like FighterZ they continue to give older Dragon Ball stuff the shaft. Z and Super are all that seem to exist usually.
Nah this pays way more homage to DB. Tons of items from DB that are accompanied by a summary of various events from the series. And the character arcs for DB characters can be fun, and some have multiple parts.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I just realized you can surprise attack the random enemies by boosting up behind them in the overworld and it plays a little cut scene going into the encounter. Super cool

edit: I can't seem to replicate it.. Not sure what triggers it.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Nah this pays way more homage to DB. Tons of items from DB that are accompanied by a summary of various events from the series. And the character arcs for DB characters can be fun, and some have multiple parts.

I meant more kind of playing through it all. When I first saw DBZ on TV it was very confusing because there's just this roster of unknown characters and aliens doing magical stuff and it was never really explained at all how they got to this point until you read/watch early DB. This being the story of Goku it feels like they started at Z because the open world design means flying around was a necessity.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that even 10 hours in and vertical flying still causes me to pause at times. lol They really need a re-mapping features.

Full of flaws, but absolutely loving playing through the series I grew up with <3

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I am shocked by how good the sidequests are.

e.g. Yajirobe and Piccolo having a complete misunderstanding is the slice of life stuff I live for.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
So am I wrong or is there basically no need to bother with random battles?

From what I've done, playing the story like normal just gives everyone the EXP they need even for characters that leave and come back. Meanwhile trash mobs give peanuts EXP.

Kind of an odd design choice. Despite that though, I dont feel the game is all that easy, couple fights in the Namek Saga kicked my ass.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I ended up buying this over the weekend and played a bunch with my son during a lazy Sunday afternoon.
It really is a lot of fun in general, with plenty of flaws. However, I feel like most of the flaws
are absolutely forgivable stuff and they nail most of the really important stuff. Very impressive work by CC2 IMO.

The fan service and extra stories and dialogue are great so far. I think the interaction between Kami and King Yenma during that 'quiz' has
been one of my favorites so far. lol

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized you can surprise attack the random enemies by boosting up behind them in the overworld and it plays a little cut scene going into the encounter. Super cool

edit: I can't seem to replicate it.. Not sure what triggers it.
Tutorial says if you boost into them while the arrow is blue it'll trigger. Haven't experienced it yet, maybe you have to be quite a few levels above them?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh...is there a way to heal up your HP without using consumable items? Like are there inns and stuff? I'm in the first area as Piccolo after Raditz and I took some cheap shots from some Skull Robos.

Also, is there a way to replay old boss fights for a better rank? I only A-Ranked the final Raditz and I want to redo it.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Wait...the orbs in the world respawn? I spent so much time collecting them all. Damn you, OCD!

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
This game is so damn good. I'm at the second intermission right after the Frieza saga. Afraid for it to end. I will 100% be buying the season pass.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
So, uh...is there a way to heal up your HP without using consumable items? Like are there inns and stuff? I'm in the first area as Piccolo after Raditz and I took some cheap shots from some Skull Robos.

Also, is there a way to replay old boss fights for a better rank? I only A-Ranked the final Raditz and I want to redo it.
Go to a camp fire to heal. Use the Dragon Balls to redo fights.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Just let me re-map my controller ...i know i can re-bind my keyboard but why not my controller...DAMN YOU

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, just ran into that Surprise Attack mechanic from the open world. Played a cutscene and I got some hits via cutscene on a group of Saibamen. That was actually pretty awesome. So I guess if you're undetected when you boost into enemies you get a surprise attack if you're within level range of them but if you completely outlevel them they just die in slow motion and you keep flying.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally made it to Namek and got to the Ginyu Force fight and holy shit that Goku vs Recoome cutscene was amazing. I'm glad they aren't being so strict with copying the anime and manga 1 for 1 and mixing it up some.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I can't quite place why I am having so much fun with this game. Side quest characters sometimes float off screen in a hilarious manner. Quest markers disappear... frequently. I ran into a bug where characters were cloning themselves. NPC's text boxes glitch so you can't read them sometimes. It's all pretty jank.

...but I am fucking enjoying myself. It's bizzare.

Flying around through colored rings like superman64 should be - on paper- a bad thing. But exploring and blowing up small mountains and trees feels so cool in this game... It is just the right amount of "gamey" feeling and just the right amount immersion.

Oh and knocking people through mountains never gets old.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They suuure do float offscreen, lol. I witnessed Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha just slide away in one stretch of quests, culminating with this wonderful cutscene:
9A17BF272407D127339AA8646F113EEB531C1D1B

Oct 27, 2017
I am not facing these floating npc bugs on ps4 pro at all. Are these pc specific?

Also I couldn't complete that Piccolo Yajirobe quest. I had to collect 6 deer but even after collecting like 20 deers the counter stoll said 0/6. So I skipped the quest. Anyone else had same issue?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I am not facing these floating npc bugs on ps4 pro at all. Are these pc specific?

Also I couldn't complete that Piccolo Yajirobe quest. I had to collect 6 deer but even after collecting like 20 deers the counter stoll said 0/6. So I skipped the quest. Anyone else had same issue?
My "floating character" bug was on PC. It happened so consistently I thought about asking about it here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on PC yes. I also turned vssync off which, I imagine, is the culprit.

They suuure do float offscreen, lol. I witnessed Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha just slide away in one stretch of quests, culminating with this wonderful cutscene:
9A17BF272407D127339AA8646F113EEB531C1D1B
Is this PC too?

Edit saw above. Yup. Seems to be PC only? Like I said... Sometimes messing with vsync options can cause weird physics issues. Not sure if that is exactly the case here as I haven't done thorough testing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So should I be rushing to get to the Saiyan fights? The sidequest density feels really light thus far and I'm not sure if the game opens up a lot later or what.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am loving the shit out if this game. Lots of charm with the writing, love just flying around. Wanted a dbz game like this my whole life.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So should I be rushing to get to the Saiyan fights? The sidequest density feels really light thus far and I'm not sure if the game opens up a lot later or what.
i've just been doing all of the side quests available and then moving to the next main mission and it took me about 10 hours to get to namek

i wouldn't worry about the length or anything or trying to grind out collectables. just do what you wanna do, there's a lot of content to come

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story now, Pretty good game imo. A warning for people that dont want to get spoiled about some NPC and enemies from Postgame, dont read the names in the credits...

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It might just be me but I feel like these are the most engrossing fights I've had in DBZ story games. There's just something about it even though the combat is simpler.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I meant more kind of playing through it all. When I first saw DBZ on TV it was very confusing because there's just this roster of unknown characters and aliens doing magical stuff and it was never really explained at all how they got to this point until you read/watch early DB. This being the story of Goku it feels like they started at Z because the open world design means flying around was a necessity.

It would have been awesome if you started as young Goku walking/running around and then 20 or so hours into the game you finally get nimbus. It could have been the 'Getting an Airship in Final Fantasy' moment of this game. And then maybe 60 or so hours into it, Instant Transmission becomes your fast travel system. It upsets me because I can fully picture this action/adventure rpg, and the publisher keeps coming so close to that dream Dragonball game people want, but they just aren't there yet. This game is a big step in the right direction though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on XB1 and haven't seen that sliding NPC thing at all, lol.

Shout out to whoever mentioned earlier there's a bunch of tutorials hidden in menus they only show up when you're fighting. super weird, but actually helpful.

Main thing I didn't realize was that there's 4 different melee finishers while I've been hammering on one button the whole time. One is a burst that gets you Ki, and for Vegeta the other two are a rapid ki blast and the rapid kick move.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on XB1 and haven't seen that sliding NPC thing at all, lol.

Shout out to whoever mentioned earlier there's a bunch of tutorials hidden in menus they only show up when you're fighting. super weird, but actually helpful.

Main thing I didn't realize was that there's 4 different melee finishers while I've been hammering on one button the whole time. One is a burst that gets you Ki, and for Vegeta the other two are a rapid ki blast and the rapid kick move.
All the tutorials are in System.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really like how each "boss" feels like it has its own identity here. Like this has gotta be the best rendition of Guldo's fighting I've seen in a game.

All the tutorials are in System.

Oh, well damn. Still, I don't think I would've looked there either way since I didn't think the game would have had tutorials for things it didn't show.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I just figured out this myself. I was playing Goku and hit triangle as a combo ender and was like "O.o"

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
It might just be me but I feel like these are the most engrossing fights I've had in DBZ story games. There's just something about it even though the combat is simpler.
I feel the same. It feels like a real Dragon Ball fight. When I fought Vegeta and won with little health left and it transitioned to the cutscene of them struggling against each other, I felt that struggle.

I think it's the high speed, simple inputs, and just enough emphasis on teleporting, blocking, and telegraphing dodges and attacks so that it doesn't feel like button mashing.

It's more than the sum of its parts for sure. Definitely way more fun that I had with the Xenoverse games.